• Published 4th Apr 2016
  • 891 Views, 20 Comments

All's Fair in Love and Twilight - Short Stories



Rainbow an Twilight have made their love for each other known to everyone in Ponyville! But...not everyone in Canterlot....Trouble soon arises.

  • ...
25
 20
 891

For Twilight's Affection!

Author's Note:

Before you read this chapter, you might want to read the disclaimer first.

Her word had been taken out fro under her. Literally. Rainbow had kicked the cloud she stood on just so she could have Twilight to herself. Moondancer couldn't think of anyone she ever knew who was more selfish and ruthless as that prism-maned, fast as lightning,sky-colored brat. Of course, brat wasn't enough of a word to describe Rainbow, but Moondancer didn't like to swear.

She was seconds away from splatting like a bug on the hard grassy earth, her eyes clenched close, hoping it would somehow absorb the impact, but the impact never came. Slowly, she opened one eye, saw she wasn't dead, and opened the other. A magenta aura had cradled her, gently setting her on the earth's crust. Twilight landed in front of her seconds later, looking less than pleased. "Rainbow...." she called to the pegasus above. Moondancer looked up to see she was taking her sweet time to get down to where they were. Why, though?

"Thanks for saving my life, Twilight." Moondancer offered. "You know, that's why I always did lo-"

"Save it." Twilight snapped. It was obvious she was trying her best to contain herself, but failing hard. Moondancer instantly wondered what had happened. "Rainbow Dash!" She yelled, causing the pegasus to tense up then fly down at a more reasonable speed for her. Rainbow looked like she was on the verge of tears and her head was hung low. Moondancer wasn't sure if she should yell at the speed demon or ignore what she had done.

Twilight nodded, as if confirming to herself Rainbow was there, and started to pace in front of the two, reminding her greatly of what had happened earlier today. "Rainbow...?" Twilight said, "you going to tell Moondancer what we talked about?" Rainbow shook her head slowly, still keeping it low. "I'm serious about what I said up there. Not apologizing is just going to make it harder."

Rainbow gave some sort of strange strangled sigh before lifting her head a tiny bit, mumbling sorry, then dropping down to her knees and face-planting into the grass. Mondancer winced at the dramatic motions, starting to feel sorry for the pegasus.

"Moondancer?" Twilight said in the same, calm tone she had been using, "I'm single now."

The unicorn looked at her childhood friend with shock. "What?" She exclaimed.

"Do you want to go on a date with me?" Twilight continued, unfazed by her reaction.

Moondancer felt slightly torn, seeing how Rainbow seemed utterly devastated. Then again, Moondancer thought, she was pretty rude to me before and had literally tried to kill me not even ten minutes ago. "Yes." She finally said as calm as she could, trying to ignore the painful groan that sprouted from Rainbow and the immediate guilt that had blossomed inside of her. "I would love to."


"I must say," Twilight smiled as the two enjoyed dinner inside the castle two weeks later, "Your much more kinder than Rainbow's ever been. She almost always talks with her mouth open and hardly lets me finish telling her about the newest spell I've mastered or book I've finished." She gave a laugh that sounded forced to Moondancer's ears, then shoved her mouth full of broccoli.

She gave a forced laugh as well, still feeling guilty about Rainbow. She knew it was kind of stupid, yet over the past couple of weeks, she found herself drifting off and envisioning herself in Rainbow's hooves more and more; even if she didn't want to or feel like it, her sub conscious always found a way of making her thoughts go back to that day. Each time, her guilt grew, making her feel like a selfish brute--like Rainbow Dash--even though she knew it wasn't true.

She took a deep breath, deciding now was as good a time as ever to tell Twilight what she had just been thinking about. "Twi...?" She asked quietly, just know noticing her marefriend was rambling on about something and she wasn't even paying attention.

Twilight stopped talking, glad to not fill the awkward silence that seemed to always sneak it's way in whenever the two were together with her own voice. At least RD could carry a conversation. "Yes?" She replied.

"Can we......" Moondancer paused, a bit uncomfortable about bringing a still slightly sore topic up. "Can we talk about Rainbow?"

Twilight was stunned at her question, though she didn't exactly know why. Every now and then, she'd catch Moondancer staring into space and mumbling about what had happened. Though Twi occasionally commented Moondancer's behavior being the opposite of Rainbow's, she did miss the sweet yet bitter speed demon. "Of course," she declared, "why, though? I thought you hated her."

"'Hate' is such a strong word..." Moondancer mumbled, folding her ears back. At the same time, she used her magic to send her already full dinner plate to the middle of the table, for she wasn't that hungry to begin with. "I guess I don't like her, but I don't hate her either, you know?"

The princess blinked. In the back of her mind, she knew exactly what Moondancer was talking about, for she was having the exact same feelings as well. "I know," Twilight offered, "you feel guilty because she was so depressed when we saw her last?" Moondancer nodded guiltily, gently tapping her hooves together nervously. "You want to break up so Rainbow can be with me and be happy again?" Twilight guessed, Moondancer nodding again, this time trying to hide under the table.

Twilight smiled and shook her head, loving this shy part of Moondancer the most; she was so used to Rainbow's outgoing behavior and opposite personality that it was nice to have somepony that was quiet and awkward and had the same personality as hers. She could live through the nine or ten awkward silences that came each day.

Probably.

"I know exactly how you feel, Moondancer," Twilight comforted, "but what Rainbow did was wrong and seriously illegal; she was an element bearer or else I would have had to call the girls and used a reforming rainbow on her." The unicorn's face switched from one of guilt to one of confusion. Twilight rolled her eyes, mainly to herself than Moondancer, as she continued. "It's normal to feel this way; everypony feels empathy for others when they're sad by nature, but you got to remember that Rainbow did an unholy deed and me breaking up with her was her punishment."

Moondancer sighed, looked down at the table. Twilight got out of her chair to hug the regretful mare. "It'll pass in time." Twilight said quietly, "let's try not to dwell on it for now."

Moondancer nodded slowly, levitated her dinner back to her. "I suppose..." she mumbled, "long as it isn't forever."

Twilight wasn't sure if she meant the guilt or the relationship, but, knowing how determined the mare was, when for the former. "I promise you it won't."


Rainbow laid on her bed, hugging Tank as hard as she could without hurting him, sniffling from her recent meltdown. Everywhere she looked reminded her of Twilight, from her floor, where Twi had spent many a night over to the vanity where Twilight had left her comb and Rainbow kept forgetting to return it,, and finally, to the dream journal the two shared that was lying on her nightstand.

She felt tears come to her eyes once more, but they weren't tears of sadness. In a sudden fit of rage, Rainbow grabbed the journal and flung it hard at her vanity; the journal hit the comb just so, making it flip halfway across the room, only to land on the cloudy floor. Not even a second later, it fell through, falling miles downwards to the dirt road Rainbow was above.

She fought the urge to catch it and save one of the precious memories of Twilight she had left. Instead, she watched it fall, saw it split into many little bits upon impact. Watching it break gave her a strange sense of self satisfaction. She looked around, wonder what else she had that remind her of Twilight she could destroy. A sudden thought of evil briefly flashed through her mind.

What about the mare herself?

Comments ( 16 )

She looked around, wonder what else she had that remind her of Twilight she could destroy. A sudden thought of evil briefly flashed through her mind.

What about the mare herself?

Oh, boy.

This isn't going to end well.

For anypony.

*goes to find a place to hide from the forthcoming, inevitable fallout*

Okay, hang on a sec here.

I just read in you latest blog entry about this story that the latest chapter is the final one for this story!

How can that be, when it's marked as "Incomplete"< and more importantly, you "ended" it with a cliffhanger like this?!

Explanation, please!

7108712 1) I always forget to mark my stories as "complete" once I finish them. :twilightsheepish: :rainbowlaugh:
2) I might make another sequel down the line, if this one gets good views and stuffs.

7108726 Oh, okay.

Thanks for the explanation.

And I hope you do make a sequel to this. That ending... Rainbow upset and angry enough to try and destroy Twilight?
*shudders*
It just begs for one.

7108738
Ummm... spoiler tags please?

Rainbow seems a bit out of character at the end there, mad enough to try and destroy Twilight? I don't know, just can't see her doing that even if she was mad about a break-up which admittedly was her fault. Actually, to be honest I can't see her getting mad or jealous enough to try and kill her rival for Twilight's affections. Sorry, but that's what I think.

7109601 Oh, *facepalms* Forgot to add an AU tag. Mah bad.

7109606 Yeah, okay if it's alternate universe I'll let it slide. But I still wouldn't see the normal version of dash doing this. I just don't like bashing, let's put it that way.

7109158 Um, excuse me, but what exactly did I say in my post that would require a spoiler tag?:applejackunsure::applejackconfused:

I just commented on the end of the last chapter and said that, because of that, this story deserved a sequel.

That's all.

Also, see 7109601's post right below yours, if you think mine needs spoiler tags.

Rainbow is loyalty she would never do anything that she did in this story. Sorry I had to give this a down vote.

7112454 There's an AU tag there for a reason.

You should make a story where Rainbow goes on a quest for revenge.

7112831 and yet she is still loyalty in this world. A good story can only have so much suspension of disbelief.

Your first in my Review!

7544934 Oh, sweet! I got a review! :3
*watches video*
:twilightsheepish: Haha, yeah... I was really tired when I wrote the first and second chapters, so thats why it's so confuzzling. I might revise them someday. IDK. :P
And there probs won't be a sequel, but IDK about that, too.
But, hey! Thanks so much for the review, man. :D

Login or register to comment