• Published 10th Jun 2012
  • 5,835 Views, 158 Comments

Perihelion - InTheStands



Twilight can't help but recognize her new crush from somewhere.

  • ...
12
 158
 5,835

Epilogue

Dear Princess Celestia,

Ordinarily, these letters are reserved for my Friendship Reports. But this week, I realized something important: Friendship and love can sometimes go hoof in hoof in regards to teaching valuable lessons.

I learned that, like friendships, love can be difficult to fully understand. All you really know at first is when a relationship has formed, and take it from there. As previous lessons have taught me, the real answers lie only in personal experience, not words in a book.

Love has taught me another lesson that can be applied to friendships: Forgiveness. Anyone can say 'i'm sorry', but it takes on meaning only if the speaker is sincere about it. Even then, forgiveness is not always easy to give. But when it can be given, it's capable of almost everything from mending strained relationships...to starting new ones.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

P.S.: His name is Comet Tail.

The white alicorn princess could only smile as she finished the letter. Looking down, she now saw the reason why this week's report came in an envelope instead of a scroll. Her student had sent along with it photos of her and her coltfriend, doing everything from sitting in the park to eating together to...reading that book. At the angle it was in, she could easily see the page they were on. There she realized she saw that page (along with the other pages) several times before.

Princess Celestia felt her heart growing even more warmer. It was the book she had given to the astronomers that would later become one of Comet Tail's ancestors. She even recalled running into his parents years ago, back when she first heard of Twilight's magical abilities. She had never expected to see the book again, having long ago believed it aged to uselessness. Yet there it was. And Twilight and Comet were reading it together, both smiling. Both at their absolute happiest.

She had known of Twilight's relationship long before the report, of course. Not even a minute after Cadance and Shining Armor returned to Canterlot did her pink alicorn niece tell her all about what had happened during their stay in Ponyville (along with her involvement, though she divulged in this information reluctantly). Celestia simply wanted to wait until she had the report to show it to one more pony.

"Your Highness?"

Celestia turned to the doorway, where a pegasus guard stood. "Your sister has returned."

"Good." She called out. "Luna?"

The guard left, and into the room came a dark blue alicorn, her tail and mane endlessly billowing and giving off a glitter that resembled the night sky. "You wanted to show me something, Celestia?"

Celestia simply smiled and levitated the letter and photos to Luna. She skimmed the letter and looked at the photos before slowly smiling to herself.

Celestia spoke up again. "I'll admit, I fail to recall the correct antonym for 'conspiracy'. But whatever you may call it, it seems you and Cadance pulled one off rather well. And on such short notice."

Luna grew bashful. "You must understand, sister. Twilight Sparkle did so much to help me on Nightmare Night. I felt it was only necessary to help her in return."

"Cadance's defense was rather similar," Celestia simply pointed out. "But as long as nothing was forced, no harm has been done." She then pulled out the picture of them reading the book. She stared softly at the piece of literature. "And the more I think about it...the more it seems I've played a part in this matchmaking venture as well..."

§§§

Twilight was never quite used to other ponies in the library at this hour; Sunset had begun to almost fully give way to nighttime. But in Comet Tail's case, she made an exception.

Aside from eating out with each other and many other things most ponies associated with couples, they ended the day doing what was clearly Twilight's favorite activity: Sitting and reading the pre-Night Mare Moon astronomy book that was Comet Tail's family heirloom, with Comet reading next to her.

"You know," Comet began, making sure he got Twilight's attention. "It's been almost a week since we got together. You never opened up the possibility of lending you the book for your library again."

Twilight grew uncomfortable. "I don't know...I'm realizing just how old it is now. That coupled with the fact this has been in your family for centuries...I don't think I can bear the responsibility if anything happened to it."

Comet nodded. "But what if I told you not only do I trust you, but I have enough money and supplies to make sure it can be replicated?"

Twilight blushed slightly, but suddenly had an idea. "Wait! What if we made a copy and I can use that for the library? You can still keep your book!"

She grew concerned as Comet began to frown slightly. "I don't think you understand, Twilight. I WANT to give this to you. I know it's delicate, but I trust you." He then thought for a moment, then smiled. "How about this? You keep the book for a week or two, then we can get the book copied for you. I just want you to know how it feels having something like this sitting on one of your shelves."

Twilight couldn't help but smile. "If that's going to be the case, then...thank you, Comet. But to be honest, I still say I'll be glad when I have my own copy instead of someone else's family treasure."

Comet Tail nodded again. "I understand. But I know how good you are with books. I'm just saying, sometimes you underestimate yourself." He paused. "But that's modesty I can surely live with."

They both realized they were looking into each other's eyes. Slowly, they moved their faces toward each other, eyes closing. A second later, they felt their lips brushing against one another. It was a simple kiss - one that wasn't too intimate. But it was a kiss nonetheless. And it felt wonderful to both of them.

"Aw, really?!"

They both broke away, looking at the staircase. Spike stood on the stairs in a way that he could see through the gap in the railings. He had his hands over his eyes, groaning. "I go get a drink of water and THIS is what's waiting for me?!"

Twilight rolled her eyes. "Spike, it's been nearly a week. You're not used to us being together yet?"

Spike held up his hands in defense as he descended the stairs. "I'm completely used to you having a coltfriend! It's the mushy stuff you guys do in plain sight that's gonna possibly scar me!"

The two ponies laughed as Spike went to get his drink before going up the staircase again, leaving them alone once more.

"Well," Twilight sighed, "It's starting to get late. I'll see you and your book tomorrow."

Comet Tail used his magic to close the book, lifting it up with him as he stood up. Twilight got on her legs as well, and followed him to the door. But just before he was about to open it, he gently laid the book down and turned back to Twilight. She grew confused, but she quickly realized what he wanted.

They leaned in and kissed again, this time uninterrupted by a baby dragon. They broke away gently. Then, to Twilight's surprise, Comet began to nuzzle her neck. As soon as he was done, she decided to return the favor, rubbing her head on the spot just beneath his jaw.

"I don't know if it's too soon to say this, but....I love you, Twilight."

"I love you too, Comet. And after how many times we've gone out? No, it isn't."

They shared one last look to each other before Comet picked up his book and left for his house. Twilight looked on, smiling to herself, until she could no longer see him. With half of her wondering what Celestia thought of her report and the other half bursting with anticipation for tomorrow, she shut the door and made a beeline for her bedroom, wishing to get to sleep and greet the day as soon as possible.

As she contemplated how lucky she was to gain not only so many friends, but a coltfriend added to that, she gradually fell asleep, a smile on her face as she did so.

THE END

Comments ( 44 )

so it's finished,uh?
Great story. :heart:

Sinrar

Then foals every after!

I was hoping this'd be longer. But I guess all stories come to an end. I'm sad now:applecry:

A fine short story right here!

Yep wished it was longer, but a good story nevertheless.

Lovely chapter.
Damnit Spike! :twilightangry2:


... It was still cute. :scootangel:

Comet Tail is best pony! Once I have time, I'll be reading this mainly because he's in it. :rainbowwild:
(As you can see by my icon <-)

Sequel? There's still so much that you can do with this concept. Like Twilight and Comet running into the other bullies, marriage, foals, just them living their everyday lives would be a good enough follow up!

An excellent end to this good story. Kudos and much congratulations. :pinkiehappy:

Brilliant!

797065
Where'd you get your avatar from? :rainbowhuh::derpyderp2:

MORE!!! :flutterrage:

if thats ok :fluttershysad:

One word. B-E-A-U-tiful.

I just read this entire story today and I loved it. There should be more CometSparkle stories out there.

797431 Woonstuck sideart.

Cute story, and I rather like this pairing.

Just was wondering if this would be posted on Deviantart

D'awwwwwww now I want a sequel. I need to read more about this sickeningly adorkable couple. :heart:

It was cute and adorkable.

Standing ovation. :yay: :twilightsmile:
I'd love to see this as an episode in the show, because that's how I saw it as I read; this would fit in perfectly with FIM canon. :twilightsmile:

Dear InTheStands,

Thank you very much for this lovely story. In my usual style, I'm going to pick out the bits I didn't like, then close on what really made it for me.

The Race: I tried to imagine that you were replicating the Sisterhooves Social race in order to give your readers a very vivid image of what was going on, but as much as I tried it just felt a bit lame and a missed opportunity to create new things.
The Switch: Allowing time for attitudes to shift and feelings to grow is important to the more successful shipping stories. In fairness, the use of back-story goes a long way to negating the need, but I strongly felt the result of the bridge scene needed to be delayed a day or two to allow it to feel like a natural progression.
Cadence: She is still the most sickening and disgusting character in the show, mostly because no-one seems to regard her as seriously fucked up and manipulative. I get you're only working with what's been put in front of you, but you still chose to use it, and that kind of obliterated the end for me. If I were to rewrite that, I'd have everyone look to her as if she HAD used her BLACK AND EVIL MAGIC and have her deny it vigorously (without actually making it clear either way). That would also be good for at least addressing to the audience the slightly unnatural speed of the change of heart, making it easier to accept.
Shining's Magic: The lightning-bolt entrance actually ruined that scene for me. All he had to really do was step out from hiding, but using magic that NO unicorn except Twilight has ever been shown to be capable of, before he even had a cutie mark, really just obliterated my immersion. I think the fact that it was so wildly unnecessary made it that much worse.

In short, mundane trumps magic for storytelling purposes, unless magic is the actual point.

Pacing: Perfect. The innocuous opening with clearly stated undertones, into the to-and-fro of 'will it, won't it'. The build up of 'the plan', and the general back and forth that padded the story out nicely, and then the resolution; not too fast, not too slow. Exactly the right length for the story on offer.
Cadence/Shining: Characterisation was excellent. I'm not really even comparing to the show here, since I actually think that whole finale was a bit of a turd, but I just found them to be exceptionally believable and likeable. Really, spot on work with them.
Flashbacks: I do think there were one of two too many towards the end, but all-in-all they were short, poignant, and unobtrusive. Not something many people have done well.

Just a lovely little story here; low-pressure shipping, carefully woven story threads, subtle characterisation. Bang-up job, you should be VERY proud of it! If I bothered keeping a 'recommended' list, this would be on it, and I am notoriously hard to please with short stories.

Scott 'Inquisitor' Mence

Awwwwww..... it's over...... :fluttercry:

But hey. It was great while it lasted! :twilightsmile::yay:

:pinkiesmile:

Super-sweet ending, and a delightful read-through all the way. Kudos to you.

Keep on writing. :twilightsmile:

Brilliant! Fantastically simple and a good read too! I know a lot of people are saying that it is too short, but I think that dragging the whole thing out would of made the story less fluent. I don't really think I can say enough so I am just going to say congratulations! :pinkiehappy:

801755 About Cadence and her black magic, try reading Shipping and Handling. A bonus chapter gives a little insight into Cadence's character (oh, and it is an amazing fic too :yay:). The link is here.

What does "Perihelion" mean

2275017 It refers to the point where a comet is closest to the sun (or A sun, if you will). I just liked what it meant and how it sounded.

Honestly, this has taken over my current favourite shipfic. Very well done:pinkiehappy:!
I loved the first chapter which got me hooked. Oh well, time for the sequel.:raritywink:

Hope you make more shipfics because you really have the potential:twilightsmile:

OK so, according to the Equestria Girls trailer and the color sheme of Twi's love interest:

http://www.nytimes.com/video/2013/05/12/business/media/100000002220706/equestria-girls-trailer.html

Comet Tail will be her canon romance.

2569356 Just got a second look at the guy from EG. Don't think that that's a humanized Comet Tail.

799384
Then Join The CometSparkel Group

2592139
Nope he is not:duck:

Spike stood on the stairs in a way that he could see through the gap in the railings. He had his hands over his eyes, groaning. "I go get a drink of water and THIS is what's waiting for me?!"

That was the funniest thing ever :rainbowlaugh:

Oh my gosh... SPIKE RUIED IT:raritydespair: :facehoof: NUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but good story, I love it :pinkiehappy:

This was a amazing story to find and read! :pinkiehappy:

...and then they had hanky panky, got married, and had lots of foals. The end.
:twilightblush:

Dear Princess Celestia,

I really miss the Friendship letter that they always send to Princess Celestia how they learn about the lesson

Celestia spoke up again. "I'll admit, I fail to recall the correct antonym for 'conspiracy'. But whatever you may call it, it seems you and Cadance pulled one off rather well. And on such short notice."

Luna grew bashful. "You must understand, sister. Twilight Sparkle did so much to help me on Nightmare Night. I felt it was only necessary to help her in return."

Awww Princess Luna that was pretty sweet of you to do that for Twilight

"You know," Comet began, making sure he got Twilight's attention. "It's been almost a week since we got together. You never opened up the possibility of lending you the book for your library again."

I just hope that book was not there during season 4 finale because we know what is going to happen to her Library 😥

Oh wow I got to say this was a pretty nice story and nice to see Comet Tail who is a very underrated background character and a very interesting shipping between him and Twilight which you got the character pretty well and I like that so anyway Princess Celestia got the letter from Twilight what she learned about her friendship lesson and even introducing her boyfriend Comet Tail which she was pretty happy for Twilight and it looks like Cadence was not the only one who helped out the situation Luna kind of help which that's pretty awesome meanwhile back in Ponyville it almost was a week when they started dating and he decided to give the book to Twilight but she felt like she's doesn't want to take something that's been in the family generation but Comet Tail trust her with the book for a moment they stare at each other and begin to kiss which that's pretty romantic until Spike ruin the moment he's young he'll understand soon and they even say they love each other before they left once again this was great I like it keep up the good work

Login or register to comment