• Published 18th Jan 2016
  • 1,750 Views, 47 Comments

Once in a lifetime - Echolocation



A meteor lands in Equestria, teeming with life.

  • ...
3
 47
 1,750

Chapter two - The Letter and the creation of a new species

Spike was not one to like waking up early, and after all the drama that he and Twilight and her friends had been through they all needed their sleep even more then ever. And yet, somepony was knocking on the door, even after ten minutes of being ignored by the purple dragon. Seriously, did these ponies ever stop? It was giving him a bad headache, being the nearest to the door.

He crawled out of the cave of majestic blanketed warmth, the words 'I'm coming' being muttered under his breath. He slowly creaked open the door to find a lanky mailmare shivering on the door stop in the early spring cold.

She held up her hoof as if to stop the door from slamming on her face. "Princess Celestia told me to deliver this to miss Twilight and her friends. Is this where miss Twilight is currently?"

Spike just deadpanned at the mare. He was used to this. Constant fan-mail coming in from people who claimed to be Princess Celestia. Every pony should know that the official mail only are delivered by dragon fire. But, for now maybe he could toy with the mare. Make sure she or any more of her fan mares would never come back to their residence again.

"And what might be in this letter sent by Princess Celestia?" Now spike had her. She was probably going to start gushing about some new threat to Equestria and that the elements of harmony should meet at a 'secret location' to be informed about the 'information that could save Equestria'. And with the girls still sleeping to regain some energy from the battle with discord, he hoped that the fanmare would leave them alone. The last thing he and the girls needed was being dragged off to some abandoned orphanage in the middle of nowhere, then tied up and given 'free hugs'... Spike shivered at the thought.

"I'm sorry but the matter is entirely confidential to Twilight and her friends, the Princesses strictly ordered me to keep my eyes away from the text on those scrolls."

Spike lifted an eyebrow. Well he wasn't expecting that for sure. Maybe this was genuine after all. "Yes, Twilight and her friends are having a celebratory sleepover here, so if I could just take those scrolls then when they will wake up, they will have breakfast and that letter."

The mare thanked him and flew away. Spike huffed and chucked the fan mail onto the table carelessly and started to make breakfast. Eggs and fried daisies were his favourite and he knew that Twilight liked them too. He started the to hum to him self as the fumes swirled around him and into the bedroom where the girls were sleeping. Instantly he heard the girls moaning in the next room and even heard a small *thump* in there.

He served a fair amount to every pony and they were still sizzling when the girls came in. Twilight yawned. "Morning Spike, nice breakfast you have here."

"Thanks, oh, and some mail came before you got up for each of you, it's on the table." Spike told the six. Rainbow Dash was the first to get there, wolfing down her eggs and daisies before flattening out the scroll on the floor. It read:

Dear Rainbow Dash,

Last night, there was a strange anomaly in the stars. We do not know weather it was a remnant of Discord's magic or a prophecy, and that is where you and your friends come in. We need help deciphering the signs that the stars have given us. With your help we could understand this message and make Equestria a safe place once more. The rest of your friends will get their own letters and I advise you do not let them see your's or let them show you theirs.

With luck,
Princess Celestia and Princess Luna
Co-rulers of Equestria

The mane-six's reaction in general were: Twilight freaking out about her missing an astronamal anomaly, Rarity suddenly getting some insparation on a dress but then remembered what she was meant to be doing, Rainbow Dash started punching imaginary Nighmare Moons and aliens, Fluttershy started hugging a passing bird for comfort, Pinkie Pie started planning intergalactic space parties and Applejack just stood there, thinking down to earth.
----------------------
Far, far away, in a place that no being in their right mind would call home, there was a planet.

Next to it was a black hole, and that planet was being sucked in.

From the planet, a huge rock, slightly bigger then the size of Equs's moon shot out of the side of the planet. From there it split as it made its way across the universe landing on both habited and inhabited planets. All of the rocks landed on their new home planet. All but one. As that lone rock sailed across the night sky, it knocked some other meteors off course effectively knocking everything in a large spiral pattern across the current Galaxy it was in.

For that small space of time, it seemed that all was lost for the little rock, that it would drift in space for all eternity, never to meet a welcoming planet.

However, on the very outer ring of the Galaxy, there was a quaint little planet covered with swirling clouds and luscious green fields, with pools of water that were the perfect shade of light blue. It was the perfect planet. As the meteorite hurtled toward one of the oceans on the perfect planet, Luna and Celestia felt an uncomfortable nudge in the backs of their necks. Like something was breaking an entry.

Indeed it was.

As the meteorite made contact with the Celestial sea, the rocks that made up most of the meteorite started dissolving, releasing hundreds and thousands of microscopic cells into the once-peaceful ocean. Most of them were swallowed by the local fish before even getting a chance to open their eyes. Others simply died of the temperature difference, too hot and too cold. Others were still encased in the heart of the rock, waiting till it split itself open with the force of the ocean floor.

Of course, they did not know that, for they had no brains. But, for what they lacked for in intelligence, they made up for in special abilities. Lightning fast evolution, the ability to pick up genetic traits from deceased animals, complex body morphing, and the list goes on. Who knows, maybe in a few days they'll be able to walk on land...