• Published 18th Jan 2016
  • 1,183 Views, 16 Comments

The Friends That Follow - JDPrime22



Monsters are things that only scare little foals. But I'm scared. If these monsters get me, I'm afraid that I may never wake up.

  • ...
6
 16
 1,183

Tomorrow Is Another Day

“What did he do this time?”

I wanted to answer Daddy, but I couldn’t. Memories of the Foxy head leaping out from under my bed, out from the closet, and just about everywhere else in the house made me shudder. I didn’t want to experience it again. As we passed the window, I saw Celestia’s warm and friendly sun dip below the horizon, inviting the shadows to rush in. It was nighttime.

I wanted to answer Daddy, but I could hardly lift my head or even speak without wanting to scream. I was too scared. Too scared to go to sleep.

I curled up closer on Mommy’s back, my hooves wrapped around her neck and squeezing tighter and tighter with every hoofstep. My eyes were sealed shut, my heart pumping so hard it hurt my chest. We already moved past the big clock at the end of the hall, so I already knew what was coming. A whimper escaped my lips.

The door to my room creaked open slowly. Even though my eyes were closed as I sought protection in my mommy’s mane, I could hear Daddy sigh. He must be mad. He always sighs when he’s mad.

“I told you those stupid masks would give him nightmares, but you didn’t listen to me.” Another sigh, followed by a groan as Mommy came to a stop. “Let me guess… Our older son…?”

Mommy shushed him. I kept my eyes closed as I listened.

“We’ll talk with him in the morning, dear. Right now we have to get our little colt to sleep. It’s way beyond his bedtime.”

No!” I shouted as I lifted myself from Mommy’s wet mane. Mommy turned her neck back to look at me, a small frown on her face and her eyes full of worry. Daddy turned to look at me, and he scowled as he noticed my tears.

“Are you crying?” Daddy asked, his voice rising higher and higher. I curled back and bit my lip as I brushed a foreleg across my face to wipe away the tears. I flinched as his hoof shot out, but he pointed it at mommy. “My colts don’t cry! How old is he?”

“He’s seven, honey.”

“Better to start now than never,” Daddy finished, then his eyes turned towards me. I cowered back, seeking the comfort in the hiding place of my mommy’s mane. Daddy had none of it, as I expected, and ordered, “Look at me, son.”

I did.

“Why don’t you want to fall asleep tonight?” His voice was slow and measured, but I could tell by the expression on his face that he was aggravated. I don’t know why he was mad at me. I gulped. He continued. “This has been going on for the past week, so tell me right now.”

Daddy’s heavy stare made me collapse back into Mommy’s back, my forehead hit her spine. I decided to answer quickly. I really didn’t want to get spanked tonight.

Mustering up any courage I had, I looked Daddy right in the eyes and answered him.

“The monsters…”

He instantly looked away, and let out a deep snort. “Oh, for Celestia’s sake!”

“Honey!”

He turned back to Mommy, face contorted and eyes wide. He opened his mouth to reply, but stopped and bit his lip. He nodded and said, “Right. Sorry, but ‘monsters’? He’s old enough now to not believe in that kind of stuff!”

“Are you implying that monsters don’t exist?” Mommy replied, an eyebrow raised as she reached back and settled me down on my bed. As Daddy trotted up to the opposite side, Mommy looked at him and asked, “Have you forgotten what forest we live by?”

Daddy frowned. He looked like he could have continued the argument all night long, but he conceded and sighed. He didn’t look angry anymore. I didn’t understand. He always sighed when he was angry. Mommy pulled up the covers to shield my body, and lay me down onto the pillow.

“No, I haven’t forgotten,” Daddy finally answered as he laid his hoof on the bed sheet. He slowly lifted his head to look at me. I pitifully returned his stare, lower lip puffed out.

Instead of being angry, Daddy only smiled. It was comforting. Helpful.

With a voice as calm as the wind blowing outside, Daddy said, “Listen, kiddo. There is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. No ‘monsters’ are going to come into the house and scare you, I can promise you that. Now how about you try and get some sleep, alright?”

I nodded without looking at him, without telling him that I wasn’t afraid of that.

“Good. Goodnight, kiddo. I’ll see ya in the morning,” Daddy finished. He leaned forward and kissed me on the forehead. I offered the tiniest of smiles in the hopes of giving Daddy some kind of assurance. He smiled back, then turned to Mommy and said, “Honey, a word?”

Mommy gave me a helpful smile before she moved to the front of the bed with Daddy. I listened carefully to what they were saying. I idly tapped my hooves together to make it seem like I wasn’t listening.

Daddy whispered, “Look, I have a big day at work tomorrow, so I need as much sleep as possible. Can you handle tonight for me?”

“Of course, dear,” Mommy replied with that comforting, warm smile of hers.

Daddy smiled back. “Alright, I’ll see you in a few. Kisses.”

Mommy leaned forward and gave Daddy a quick kiss on the lips. I looked away and stuck my tongue out. Gross. After that was done and dealt with, I turned back and saw that Daddy had already left, I caught a glimpse of his hoof as it pushed the left door closed. That just left Mommy.

She slowly spun around, and grew a mischievous grin as her eyes trailed downwards.

“Oh!” she yelped, hoof held up to cover her mouth. “Who’s that down there hiding under the bed?”

“W-what?” I whimpered and pulled up the sheets to cover my muzzle. “Under my…b-b-bed?”

“Yes,” Mommy replied and ducked down, pushing a few objects from below the bed. I couldn’t help but shake for what might come, and now Mommy was stuck with me for the monsters to come back. At least she saw them this time. At least she is here to protect me from them.

She shot back up. I flinched away and shielded myself with the blankets.

“Looks like someone has missed sleeping next to you.”

I stopped shaking. As I pulled the covers down, I was met with an image of Mommy grinning mildly with a small, brown teddy bear in her hoof. The blue eyes were inviting, as were the black top hat and bowtie. I managed a small smile myself, holding my hooves out for the toy.

“Freddy…”

“You really need to keep a closer eye on your toys, sweetie,” Mommy told me, then gently planted Freddy right into my expecting hooves. I hugged him softly and tapped his nose. A friendly honk escaped the small plushy, earning a giggle from me. I couldn’t help it.

Mommy caught this, and smiled. “You see? You just needed a friend to keep you company. You’ll fall asleep in no time.”

“A friend…” I whispered, holding Freddy tighter as I snuggled down into the cushions. Mommy brought up the rest of the covers, which shielded me all the way up to my neck. I looked at Freddy held close to my body, then up to Mommy. She tried to smile, but her eyes were sad.

“Mommy…” I began. Her ears perked and she looked at me again. “…Why do you look sad?”

She seemed surprised, but smiled nonetheless. She sat down next to me and gently rubbed my forehead, Mommy sighed. “Was it your older brother again? With the mask?” she asked, voice very quiet.

I frowned, but could never hold it for long. I gave a small nod, then turned my head to the side of the pillow. I didn’t want to look up at Mommy. She sighed once more, then lifted herself up and sat down on the bedside. I turned to look at her again. The sound of the grandfather clock filled the room, somehow making it eerily quiet.

Mommy looked at me, her hoof supporting her as she leaned back and whispered, “I remember when you and your older brother were the best of friends. Playing outside in the backyard, tossing a ball around, laughing until I used to call you two in for dinner,” she chuckled, and then paused. “You two haven’t been friendly to each other since you were a foal. I just…”

She stopped, and closed her eyes.

“I just want my colts to get along.”

I held Freddy a little bit closer, the looked to the side. It wasn’t that I didn’t want to get along with my older brother; it’s just that I’ve been so scared lately. My birthday was coming up, closer and closer every day. And ever since my brother got into high school and started hanging out with those jerks he called his friends…everything just seemed to change.

I couldn’t tell Mommy how much I wanted that. To return to what he and I had.

So, I said, “I’ll try, Mommy.”

She smiled at me, then leaned forward and placed a kiss on my forehead.

“Thank you, sweetie. Goodnight.”

Mommy got up to leave, but I held out my hoof. Her eyes widened as she turned to look at me again.

“What is it, sweetie?” Her large eyes trained on me.

“Actually, Mommy…can you stay with me until I fall asleep?” I asked, and stuck my lower lip out again for good measure.

She smiled warmly. “Of course, sweetie. Mommy will always be here for you.”

“Could you… Could you check the closet…please?”

Eyes widened again, Mommy turned around and approached the closet. I flinched, then dropped Freddy and holding up the covers once more. Thankfully, oh-so-thankfully, Mommy closed the closet doors and flicked off the lights as she returned to the bed, that same, simple, warm smile on her face. Barely visible in the dark, but still there.

“There’s nothing there, sweetie. Just close your eyes and rest now. I’ll be right here.” She patted my covers with an assuring hoof.

“…Okay.”

I shut my eyes, dreams of the night replayed through the dark. The rhythm of my breathing was enough to calm me down, just enough for me to fall away to a much-deserved sleep. I smiled, and felt my mother sitting on the bedside beside me. She always kept watch over me. Like a good mother should. I held Freddy closer, listening as the crickets chirped and sang.

And sang…

And sang…

I didn’t know how much time had passed. A soft creaking caused my ear to twitch. I shot up, eyes wide as sweat dripped down my forehead. Mommy was gone…and the closet was open.

My heart began to beat in my chest as I fumbled for the flashlight on my night stand. I accidentally dropped Freddy in the process again. I finally managed to grip it and flicked the light on, then immediately pointed it towards my closet. My room was bathed in a pale, white light. It gave me a small bit of comfort as I climbed out of bed and slowly crept towards my closet.

“You aren't going to get me. Not again.” The light faltered as I struggled to hold it still in my shaking grip. Nothing but blackness greeted me in the closet, but I could never be too careful.

“H-hello?” I called out. When I didn't hear anything, I pointed my flashlight into the darkness.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I saw what was inside, just my small Foxy plushy. It stared back at me with vacant eyes and an innocent smile. My brother liked to scare me with the Foxy head a lot of the time, so Foxy had begun to scare me a bit more than usual recently.

“You shouldn't hide in the closet, Foxy,” I told him. I was about to grab him, when I heard the sound of something creaking.

I immediately leapt away from the source of the sound, the left door to my room. It had opened just a crack, showing nothing but the darkness from the hallway beyond. Daddy closed that door. I swallowed the lump in my throat before I shuffled towards it.

It always scared me to go down these hallways at night; the windows cast abnormal shadows on the wall and on the floor. Tree branches became long, bony fingers that tried to grab at me. I put my fears to the side as I carefully and slowly pushed the door open. I could not see anything. Even the walls and ceilings of the hallway were invisible to me. I bit my lip before daring to call out again.

“I-is someone there?”

Two small purple dots appeared in the darkness. I immediately turned towards them. I almost dropped my flashlight, but I pointed it at the anomaly.

Suddenly, the two purple dots began to rise in the air, and become larger. As they got closer and more defined, I could see the purple surrounded by a ring of dull white.

I realized then I wasn't looking at two orbs, I was looking at a pair of eyes. That, plus the sound of footsteps falling after one another faster and faster told me exactly what I should do next.

I pulled my door shut immediately, and was almost thrown to the floor as something heavy slammed into it. I quickly threw my body against it in a desperate attempt to keep it shut as the doorknob began to turn.

The door began to shake and quiver as something pounded on it from the opposite side. It opened only slightly, and a pair of curved claws gripped at the door frame. They left deep gouges in the wood in their wake, wood shavings falling with each cut. I could hear the sound of growling and gnashing teeth on the other side.

I held my hooves to my ears as the shaking and banging continued. I felt the claws trying to grip my fur.

“Mommy!” I shouted as the door began to give. “Mommy!”

The door opened.

In one final attempt to push the monster away, I fell back and pointed the flashlight right at the door. I flicked the light on. Whatever monster was behind the door shrieked, and began to back away. Its claws disappeared into the darkness of the hallway, once again bringing silence back to the night.

That silence quickly ended.

“Mommy!” I cried out again, shivering hoof flicking the light back and forth.

I waited for a call back, for any other sign of life besides the four others I had come to know the past few nights. I sat there, stuck in my dark, dark room as the clock down the hall ticked and tocked. Ticked and tocked. I could hear a dog barking. We didn’t have a dog.

I ran forward and tried the room light. I flicked the switch upwards. Nothing. Again.

Before I could sigh in defeat, my ear twitched at the slightest bit of sound, the sound I really didn’t want to hear ever, ever again. It was behind me, outside into the other hallway. The night was so quiet I heard it as clear as day.

Shink…

Shink…

Shink…

I nearly tumbled over myself to get to the right door. I fumbled with the doorknob before I gently pushed the door open, flinching as the wood continuously strained with each creak. As I stared into the dark of the hallway, my only form of defense gripped in my hoof, I held the flashlight outwards, gulping as I slowly flicked it on.

I saw the windows, the lamp, and the rows of teeth joined by the piercing, red eye.

A demonic-looking cupcake was held in the monster’s left claw, an apron with the tattered words “LET’S EAT!!!” covering its chest. Once the light hit it, the monster ducked back behind the far wall, its red eye reflected upon the window to my right. And then it was gone.

I quickly shut the door, leaning against the wood and giving off a relieved sigh. It was a well-earned victory, one that will certainly—

Shink…

My ear twitched.

Shink…

“No… No, I got you.”

Shink!

“You can’t come back!” I cried, spinning around and pushing the door open. I was once again met with pitch darkness, my flashlight held out and ready to shine at the monster. It was so weird. I stood there for several seconds, and the sounds seemed to be so close, yet there was nothing.

I was just about to turn on the flashlight when I caught it.

The slightest hint of an exhale.

I couldn’t have slammed the door any harder if I had wanted to.

My terrified gasps soon filled the silence of the night. I couldn’t hear anything else for the moment, meaning that I was by myself. By myself… with the monsters...again. Once more, I slammed my back against the closed door, sinking slowly to the floor. I gripped the flashlight as if it was my only lifeline, tears welling up in my eyes.

It was the same thing every night. Wait, listen, close the doors, the closet, shine the light, and over and over again. I didn’t care anymore. I didn’t care if my brother and his friends called me a big baby. I didn’t care if the monsters came for me. I just simply didn’t care.

I just wanted the nightmare to end.

And so I cried, dropping the flashlight in the process as my head fell into my hooves. My last line of defense rolled against the carpet. The light flickered on and cast the menacing shadows of the three little demons sitting on my bed onto the wall behind it. They shrieked and chattered amongst themselves before the light flickered and went out. The chattering grew louder as did my cries of fear, fear for what might happen if they get me.

I didn’t want it to happen. I didn’t want to be afraid.

But I simply couldn’t stop it.

“Are you crying?”

I lifted up my weary head, then looked from side to side as my wide eyes scanned the room.

“Daddy…?” I bit my lip, my ears laid flat against my head.

“I thought I told my colts to never cry.”

I gently plucked the flashlight off the carpet.

“They suck it up like stallions!”

“Okay, Daddy,” I whispered, sniffling as I did so. I turned to my bed, growing a frown as the chattering and squealing of the Freddy creatures drowned out my remaining thoughts, leaving only one task yet to be complete.

“I’ll be brave. I’ll be a brave stallion like you always are,” I told myself, shuffling over to the front of my bed. I narrowed my eyes, shot out the flashlight and turned it on. Instantly, the twitching Freddy creatures hissed in agitation. They disappeared individually back into the darkness, leaving my little Freddy toy sitting peacefully and alone.

I managed the tiniest of smiles.

“And I won’t be afraid anymore.”

That’s when I heard the creak of the closet door. I spun around, the same, determined expression stuck to my face as I approached the closet door. My expression steeled, as I kept what Daddy said to me at the front of my mind. Determined from my Daddy’s words, I pushed aside the closet doors, and without thinking shined my light into the dark.

I wish I could take it all back.

My older brother grew accustomed to the first time we had visited Fredbear’s Family Diner. I was less ecstatic, even terrified as my eyes landed on the two golden suits upon the stage, singing and dancing for the screaming foals. My brother gained quick access to the games, earning several hundred tickets and spending them all for one thing.

I spent my time with Mommy and Daddy eating pizza as far away from the animatronics as possible. They asked me if I was enjoying myself. I lied, saying the place was fun, not wanting to disappoint them. They spent so much money on just getting us in, and we were struggling as it was.

And Mommy said this would be a perfect place for my next birthday party.

I screamed as a Foxy mask popped up from the side of table, a horrible cry following…with laughter soon to join it.

I wish I could take it all back.

The distorted, tattered head of Foxy the Pirate covered the entirety of the closet opening, roaring upon the light hitting his face. I screamed and fell back, then crawled away as Foxy slowly pushed the closet doors aside, his hook glinting maliciously in the dim light. He stood at his full height, then hunched low as he approached me. His pupils glowed orange like fire, his teeth gnashed together as if anticipating something.

I pointed the flashlight right at him. Foxy smacked my hoof, sending the flashlight into the wall and shattering it upon impact.

Left with no defense I continued to crawl backwards, Foxy approached me just as quickly with his hook held outwards, right for me. His body held holes of all shapes and sizes, his piercing, orange eyes breaking through the dark and landing right on me. He stopped. I didn’t. I wish I could have taken that back, too.

My back hit something that didn’t feel like my bed.

Hm, hm…”

I couldn’t stop shaking. How could I?

“…Hm, hm, hm, hmmmmm….”

I slowly tilted my head back, to look up at what was behind me.

I saw the teeth.

I saw the eyes.

I saw the brown skin.

I saw the black bowtie.

I couldn’t stop screaming.

Freddy, claws extending downwards, easily plucked me off the floor. I struggled and squirmed, hoping with every shred of my being that I could escape, that I could run away and make it to my parents’ room. As I rose higher, that hope died.

Bonnie stood slack-jawed in front of the open right door. I turned left.

There stood Chica, she and the demonic cupcake watching from the closed left door as Freddy continued to lift me higher and higher.

I faced the monster that held me firmly in its grip, its claws easily tearing into my skin. For a moment, we remained silent. I waited as Freddy, his horrifying, yellow glare, eyed me with twisted interest, its head tilting and twitching in place.

And then it came.

He screamed and lunged for me. My cries echoed throughout the room. My body squirmed, trying to escape. My eyes watched the rows of teeth grow closer and closer, plunging straight into my—

Beep!

Beep!

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!

I sat upwards, sweat streaming from my forehead.

Celestia’s morning sunlight pierced through the windows in the hallway, giving some light to break through the opening from the door to my right. I scanned the room, chest rising and falling, uncontrolled breaths escaping me.

The alarm clock shut off automatically. I turned to it. Six am.

That alone earned a relieved sigh from me. I fell back into my pillow, then tilted my head sideways to see Freddy under the blankets. Without the teeth. Without the claws. I pulled him closer to me and hugged the bear as tight as I ever could. As tight as I ever wanted.

I didn’t care. I just needed a friend right now.

There was a knock on the door. The left door.

My eyes instantly shot open, breath catching as I remained as silent as possible. The birds chirped from the outside, and once more I heard a knock. Several knocks. I gulped.

“Um…come in!” I said, my voice quavered a bit.

I sat up, turned to the left door and saw it slowly open. I expected Mommy, or even Daddy to come and wake me up. Even with that slight opening I could smell breakfast down the hall and into the kitchen. The realization of a nice breakfast earned a smile from me. I pushed the blankets off, awaiting Mommy’s or Daddy’s arrival.

I was never prepared for the Foxy head to burst through and scream at me.

I screamed in unison, then fell back onto my bed and shielded myself with the blanket. Laughter was all I could hear. I whimpered, and then pushed the blankets off and staring glumly at the door.

My older brother stood by the open door, his chuckles died as he removed the Foxy mask from his scruffy mane and face.

He howled, “Oh that was too rich!”

I refused to look him in the eye. He didn’t seem to notice and as he held back his laughter, he said, “Come on, ya foal, it’s time for breakfast. You don’t wanna keep Mom waiting, do ya?”

Mommy. I told her I would try, to try and be friendly to him right before I fell asleep into the nightmare. Despite the morning fright, I offered him a tiny smile and looked him in the eye. Even then, I couldn’t hold my eyes away from the Foxy mask in his right hoof.

He seemed to catch on, which was the last thing I wanted. He smiled a cunning and vicious grin, saying, “Oh, don’t worry. We’re gonna have some fun at your birthday party, dork. Only four more days…”

Again with the teases, the laughing and name-calling. He engaged himself with another round of laughs to go about as he turned and left my room. I didn’t share in any bit of it. I knew fully well what he meant by what he said, about where we would go to in four days.

It was my eighth birthday party.

And yet I wasn’t excited.

And yet the nightmare still haunted me.

I looked down to my Freddy plush, and then sighed. Only four more days.

Only four more nights.

Author's Note:

Edited by that one guy.

Next chapter also written by that one guy.