• Published 15th Apr 2016
  • 752 Views, 5 Comments

High School Musical - Locomotion



Sweetie-Belle has gained her Cutie Mark, but seems determined that nopony shall know about it. Can her friends persuade her to overcome her demons?

  • ...
3
 5
 752

Chapter 5: The Talent Show

The curtain drew swiftly open to reveal Button Mash, Shady Daze and First Base ready to begin their song recital. As soon as the applause died down, Shady Daze nodded to Button Mash, who began strumming on the guitar as the sky-blue Earth colt began to sing;


Baby, although I chose this way of life,
It seems it's strangling me now;
And all those ponies out there, staring into my soul,
I feel like they're laughing at me now! HAHAHAHA!

Oh, I've been used, and so dreadfully abused!
I've been a fool – a complete and utter tool!
And I broke all the rules – I broke all the rules...
But I must let the show go on!”


Sweetie-Belle shot the three teens an odd glance. “Wait just a minute,” she muttered to herself. “That's not how the song goes.”

But nopony else seemed to be all that bothered. In fact, Locomotion was looking rather pleased with himself as the performance continued.


Baby, when there's an enormous herd of ponies,
And when I hear them scream and shout,
I often wish they'd smash the walls of the Ponyville theatre
And let me out! LET ME OUT!

'Cause I've been blind, and so far outta my mind!
Wasted my time, struggling up an impossible climb!
I'm walking on a wire, high wire, yeah...
But I must let the show go on!


A brief scat verse followed before the third chorus.


Oh, I've been blind, and so far outta my mind!
Wasted my time, struggling up an impossible climb!
I'm walking on a wire, high wire, yeah...
But I must let the show go on!

Baby, I wish you'd help me escape,
And help me get away;
Leave me at some country place - far away
From this masquerade!

But though I've been used, and so dreadfully abused,
Though I've been a fool, a complete and utter tool,
Though I broke all the rules, been abused and misused,
I just can't stop the show!
So I tell you, I won't wreck the show!
No – I must let the show go on!”


A further ripple of applause followed as the song drew to its climax, to which the three colts bowed graciously until the curtain fell in readiness for the next act. Their recital over, they gathered First Base's drum kit and made their way backstage, Locomotion giving Shady Daze a jovial high-hoof of congratulation as he went by.

Lickety-Split peered surreptitiously across the stage. “So far, so good,” he murmured. “First act over and done with, and it seems Sweetie-Belle's already starting to lower her guard.”

“Is she?” Locomotion poked his head round the doorway, and sure enough, Sweetie-Belle seemed slightly less apprehensive and more bemused. “Ah, good. Seems Operation Pop-Star is gonna succeed yet.”

“And if it doesn't...?”

“Ah, you worry too much, Lickety!” scoffed Pipsqueak. “Everything's been planned down to the finest details – we'll be fine!”

But Lickety-Split still had his doubts. He watched anxiously as Scootaloo and Rumble wowed the crowd with their own display of scooter stunts and acrobatics, quietly hoping that his friends hadn't spoken too soon. Even when the two Pegasi came into land in centre-stage, he remained on tenterhooks in case anything should go wrong, whereas Locomotion and Pipsqueak were still smirking optimistically.

“Thank you, Scootaloo and Rumble. And now, fillies and gentlecolts, please welcome Truffle Shuffle, Tenpin Strike, Diamond Tiara, Snips and Snails with their rendition of 'A Gypsy's Violin'!”

Pipsqueak and Locomotion's expressions suddenly went from smug to horrified.

“WHAT?!” exclaimed Pipsqueak in alarm. “But...that's...oh, great, what are we gonna do now?!”

“Why, what's the problem?” asked Lickety-Split, concerned.

“What the hay do you think?!” blustered Locomotion frantically. “We can't have Sweetie-Belle listen to THAT!! Heck, it's probably gonna put her off singing altogether if we're unlucky! We've gotta do something – distract her, stall the act...anything!!”

Lickety-Split dithered, trying to work out how to avert their impending disaster, but the five ponies were already gathered on the set before he could. All he and Locomotion and Pipsqueak could do was watch despairingly as they began; but as Strike, dressed up as a gypsy musician, began to sing the first verse of the song, their panic was brought to a sudden halt. Both Pipsqueak and Lickety-Split stared in confusion as the once sombre music became more upbeat for the chorus, while the edges of Locomotion's mouth slowly began to curve upwards.

As per the song, Diamond Tiara finished the chorus off with a rude remark about Strike's violin music, earning herself a sharp rebuttal from the stone-coloured colt. At this point, Locomotion could no longer hold himself back – overcome with relief and amusement, he collapsed onto the floor in a fit of hysteria.

“What the hay?!” Lickety-Split pulled back, startled, and was even more bewildered to see the red-furred railway enthusiast rolling around with raucous laughter.

“Oh, boy,” sighed Pipsqueak. “He's cracked. He's living up to his name.” He cantered over to the older unicorn and began shaking him in a bid to grab his attention. “Loco? Hello?!! GET A GRIP!!!”

Without warning, Locomotion stopped laughing and grabbed Pipsqueak by his withers, yanking him downwards so that the mottled Earth pony's snout was pressing firmly against his own. The younger colt winced uncomfortably at the sudden close contact and the intimidating broad grin on the red-furred unicorn's face. “Uh...good grip?”

“You don't see it, do you?” said Locomotion in a half-crazed tone. “This song is just a parody – a mockery of the original designed to make ponies laugh!” He let go of Pipsqueak at this point and raised his arms above his head, yelling out as loudly as he dared without disturbing the show – which, admittedly, wasn't very loud at all. “WE HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!”

Pipsqueak cringed, visibly flustered. “Well, you didn't need to go all barmy about it, you great red toot!!” he hissed.

But Locomotion took no notice. He was busting a gut trying to fight off a second explosion of laughter, particularly at Strike's erratic and thoroughly hopeless attempt at playing the violin. Pipsqueak and Lickety-Split only rolled their eyes dramatically as they listened to what was left of the song.

Apart from a minor complaint from Diamond Tiara about being typecast in the “Gypsy's Violin” act, the rest of the talent show seemed to go smoothly after that. Tootsie Flute put in a good performance with her recital of the Quilland Ink poem “Daffodils”, and Alula's stand-up comedy round had the whole audience in stitches. Even Silver Spoon managed to astonish everypony with a display of ballet dancing.

All the while, Sweetie-Belle looked on with growing regret. All those other ponies were putting so much effort into their talent show acts, and yet here she was shying away from the one thing she was better at than all the rest of them. She really had been childish, there was no way she could deny that anymore – in fact, she was beginning to realise that Lickety-Split might not have been at fault after all. So perhaps he had been taking their relationship a bit too slowly for her liking, but he had been acting in her best interests just like Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were doing now.

The white-furred filly looked down at her hooves, fighting back tears as Lickety-Split solemnly came on stage and began reciting a poem of his own. She felt a right fool for having been so harsh on him and Locomotion, and sorely wished there was a way she could mend all the damage she had dealt. Unknown to her, Lickety-Split himself happened to be looking back at her out of the corner of his eye, and even though he seemed to be doing a good job of hiding it from the audience, he sensed the pain and distress in his love's eyes and felt it as if it were his own.

The brown colt heaved a mental sigh. Stuff his alleged shyness, he told himself crossly – Sweetie-Belle needed moral support, and it was high time he gave it to her. As soon as he had finished, he took a quick bow and trotted over to her side of the stage, ignoring the round of applause as Cheerilee stepped up to announce the next act. Apple Bloom trotted past, toting an unassembled dining room chair on her back; but Lickety-Split didn't take any notice of her either. He sidled quietly up to his former fillyfriend and rested a gentle hoof on her shoulder, eliciting a small sniffle from the troubled unicorn.

“You're really having trouble coping with this, aren't you?” he whispered sympathetically.

Sweetie-Belle didn't answer. She just hung her head and tried to wipe her eyes dry.

“I can see this might have been a bit harsh,” Lickety-Split went on softly, “and you've probably every right to be mad at us – me especially – but please, hear me out. None of us are trying to make you feel obliged to do this. We're doing this because we all care for you, and we don't want you to feel alone or depressed because you don't have the strength to live your dream.” Realising that he might have sounded a bit presumptuous just then, he hastily corrected himself; “Assuming that it really is your dream, of course. But really, Sweetie-Belle, I don't want to lose my friendship with you over a simple song. You mean more to me than anything in this whole world, and I don't know what I'd do without you.”

There was a long pause between the two teenagers as Lickety-Split allowed Sweetie-Belle to take in the information. All that could be heard was the sound of ratcheting and the tune of “Flight of the Bumblebee” as Apple Bloom worked fervently to assemble the chair before the music ended – hardly an appropriate backdrop, but neither of them cared they were so lost in their emotions. It wasn't until about halfway through the act that Lickety-Split, thinking that he might not have driven his point across, solemnly turned to head back to the other side of the stage – but that was when Sweetie-Belle finally caved in. Before the brown colt could lift a hoof, she grabbed him by the arm and clung onto him for dear life, trembling and sobbing quietly as she buried her face in his chest fur.

“I'm sorry, Lickety-Split,” she faltered. “I really am. I pushed you all away, and...how did I let myself be so...I'm so sorry.”

Wordlessly, and with his eyes moist with his tears of his own, her beau wrapped one arms around the white-furred unicorn and gently caressed her mane with his free hoof. “Hey, it's okay,” he soothed. “You had every right to be mad at me, even if I was trying to help. I mean, let's face it, I've not exactly been a good coltfriend myself.” His embrace slackened, and he looked down at the floor with shame. “I was just as stupid for thinking you knew how I felt all along. You deserve a lot better than me.”

This coming from Lickety-Split, the one pony who had meant more to her even than her own parents, made Sweetie-Belle's heart bleed. She pulled back a little, her eyes still tear-stained; but before she could protest, they were interrupted by loud cheering from the audience. Moments later, Apple Bloom came prancing backstage with a joyous look on her face – and judging by the prominent change in her appearance, there was no need for anyone to question why.

“Look at this! Look at this!” she whooped, quickly forgetting about Sweetie-Belle's conundrum as she showed off the newly acquired image of a hammer and apple on her flanks. “Ah finally got mah Cutie Mark! WOOHOO! BEST DAY EVER!!”

Lickety-Split groaned with frustration. “Alright, Apple Bloom, no need to rub it in Sweetie-Belle's face!” he muttered through clenched teeth. “Can't you see she's had it bad enough already?!”

But Apple Bloom was in such a state of ecstasy that she didn't even seem to notice how downtrodden Sweetie-Belle was. Only when Scootaloo marched up to her and delivered a sharp nudge against her ribs did she finally break out of her stupor.

“Can it, Apple Bloom!” she hissed. “We've still got Sweetie-Belle to worry about!”

“What?” Apple Bloom spun around to face their unicorn friend, at which point she suddenly remembered herself. “Ah, er...oops,” she murmured. “Guess Ah just got a li'l overexcited.”

“You think!” groused Scootaloo under her breath.

“No, it's okay, Apple Bloom,” sighed Sweetie-Belle. “I never had a chance at winning this talent show anyway.”

“Don't talk like that!” pleaded Lickety-Split. “You're a great singer, Sweetie-Belle – none of our acts could possibly compare with your pipes and prose, even if we tried hard enough!”

“You're just saying that.”

“No, really, Sweetie-Belle, I mean it,” the brown colt insisted, lowering his tone. “I know I keep going on about this, and I'm sure a lot of others have already said the same thing, but your singing voice is just so...angelic. I'm not saying you have to launch yourself straight into a musical career if you don't want to, but do you really wanna throw all that potential away?”

Sweetie-Belle gazed towards the stage for the umpteenth time, silently mulling over Lickety-Split's words as the music began to swell for what was to be the penultimate act of the show. Locomotion stood in front of the microphone, dressed in full engine driver's outfit, with Dinky casting a holographic image of an elderly engine sitting in Ponyville Central Station, ready to set off. The red-furred railway enthusiast looked a little nervous, but even he was doing his best not to let it get to him as he began reciting the fateful tale;


They gave him his orders at Ponyville Central,
Saying, 'Streak, you're way behind time;
You're on the Hoofington Post with the 'City of Manehattan',
So make sure she reaches Hoofington on time.'


So he turned around and said to his greasy firepony,
'Shovel on a little more coal;
And when we cross those Buckskin Mountains,
Watch the 'City of Manehattan' roll.'”


Halfway through that first verse, the white-furred filly sighed again and solemnly looked at her hooves. “I'm never gonna get out of this, am I?” she murmured to herself.

“So you're gonna go out there and sing after all, huh?” asked Scootaloo, a hint of triumph in her voice.

“Yeah – and hope that I don't end up regretting it afterwards.”

“Who says you're gonna regret it?” objected Lickety-Split. “Your voice is enough to knock any stallion dead; you've way more chance of stealing the show than Apple Bloom could ever hope for.” He paused, rubbing a hoof against the back of his head as he bashfully looked away. “Matter of fact, it's...part of the reason I've fallen in love with you in the first place.”

Sweetie-Belle's heart skipped a beat, and the only response she could manage at first was to stare back at him, mouth agape with shock and disbelief. Was this really happening? Had Lickety-Split really just expressed his feelings toward her for the first time in their lives? Or was he just saying that to make her feel better about herself? And more to the point...why? Why was he making out like he still cared for her even after she had been so hard on him?


It's a difficult run from Winsome Peak to Delamare
With a ruling grade of 1 in 98...


“S-s-say that again?”


It was on that grade that he lost his brakes
And saw the terrible mistake he'd made.


Lickety-Split nodded in reply. “Yeah...you heard me right,” he affirmed quietly. “I said that your singing voice was part of what I love about you – and I really do mean it. Ever since you first came into my life, I've always had you in the back of my mind, and I'm really, really sorry for not owning up to it in the first place.”

He went racing down the hill topping 90 miles an hour
As his whistle broke into a scream.
He was found in the wreckage with his hoof on the throttle,
Scalded to death by the steam.

Almost at once, Sweetie-Belle's paranoid reluctance seemed to crumble away altogether as her heart flooded with emotion and her eyes with tears. “Oh, Lickety-Split,” she whispered, wrapping her arms around him once again. “You do care!”

Lickety-Split smiled softly and held her close, silently thanking Celestia for bringing him and Sweetie-Belle back together. Out on the stage, Locomotion stole a brief glance upon the two young lovers out of the corner of his eye, and gave a warm smile of his own as he watched them embrace. All they needed now was for the white-furred filly to sing her song, and their mission would be accomplished.

So they telegraphed a message to Canterlot Headquarters,
And this is how it read:
'That unfortunate driver of the 'City of Manehattan',
He's lying down in Delamare – dead.'

So, fillies and gentlecolts, you'd better take warning
From this time on, and learn;
Never speak harsh words to your one true love,
Or they may leave you and never return!

The audience stomped their hooves in applause for the umpteenth time that evening as the song drew to its climax, and Tarquin gave his one-time leading colt a warm smile of admiration. The two unicorns bowed modestly before making their way off the stage, secretly exchanging winks while Cheerilee stepped out to announce the final act.

“Thank you, Dinky and Locomotion, for your outstanding musical act. And now, fillies and gentlecolts, please give a warm welcome for our final contestant, Sweetie-Belle.”

Backstage, the white-furred filly felt her heart pounding with fear again as the crowd applauded again; but such was her untold joy from Lickety-Split's apology and confession that this time she barely paid it any heed. Taking a deep breath to steel herself for the inevitable, she gently broke free from her coltfriend's embrace and stood up. “Well,” she murmured, “here goes.”

“You'll wow the crowd for sure, Sweetie-Belle,” encouraged Lickety-Split. “I know you will.”

Sweetie-Belle smiled back affectionately as she turned to head on stage. “Thanks, Lickety-Split. I really do appreciate your support – and that of my friends.” She paused for a moment, almost as if contemplating something, before turning back to the brown Earth colt with a fond yet plaintive look in her eyes. “Could you please say it out loud? Just so I know you mean it?”

With a light chuckle, Lickety-Split stepped forward and gave her an equally fond nuzzle in response. “I love you, Sweetie-Belle,” he whispered into her ear. “I love you more than life itself.”

That was all Sweetie-Belle wanted to know. Pausing only to plant a soft kiss on his cheek, she turned and trotted boldly up to the microphone, ready to begin the song she had been working so hard to perfect – even if under supervision from Scootaloo and Apple Bloom. Behind the curtain, the fillies in question sat and watched with anticipation, whilst Lickety-Split silently wished her the best of luck;

“Break a leg, Sweetie-Belle. We're all rooting for you back here.”