• Published 13th Jan 2016
  • 16,595 Views, 670 Comments

We Can Do This Forever - Empirical Deduction



Twilight Sparkle and Starlight Glimmer are evenly-matched. Every time Twilight tries to stop Starlight's plan, she fails. That means Starlight wins, right?

  • ...
20
 670
 16,595

Maybe So

Author's Note:

As with the last one, this chapter is a potential ending. My apologies to everyone who was made to wait the year it took me to get back to this; as penance, there will be another chapter up in about a week's time, one last possibility I want to try. Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy!

A pause. Starlight’s horn glowed as she explored her options. Her magic grasped at Twilight’s saddlebags, but couldn’t find purchase. Her attention flicked over the different sorts of spells she knew, the things she could use to lay the princess low; no answer was apparent. Her teeth grit, anger taking over where denial had left off. Her eyes darted about as she sought options; nothing new presented itself. All the while Twilight stood there watching her. Resolute. Imperious. Implacable.

Permanent.

“…No.”

“No?”

“NO!”

The shout from Starlight was accompanied by a burst of magic, burning away the clouds between the pair and forcing Twilight to conjure another shield.

“I don’t care! You don’t get to win! Not after what you did!” Further bursts of magic followed, all but undirected. Twilight hid behind her shield as clouds and terrified foals (and one gryphon chick) were sent tumbling through the air. “I can’t keep you apart forever? Fine! I’ll just have to spend the rest of my life making you suffer!”

Her outburst lasted longer, but Twilight didn’t get to hear the rest of it; she was whisked away by the reopening portal to a future in which the gryphons had started a war with Equestria.

Starlight was left panting, gradually losing altitude as her magical grip upon herself weakened, watched by fearful pegasi in the distance. Her rage was spent for the moment, dying back from the blazing inferno that had dispersed the flight camp to mere embers of loathing, the sort that had fueled her plan to begin with. These, she clutched close. As her mind cleared, she began to truly appreciate the scope of the task she’d taken upon herself; any minute now, the portal would open, again, and she would have to stop the race, again. Twilight Sparkle had made her realize that despite her protests, she was on the defensive; one loss, and it was over. And she just spent most of her magic crumbling clouds.

The thought alone was almost frustrating enough to have her lashing out again - and had a convenient blue-colored foal been present she well might have - but she reined herself in. “It’s okay,” she told herself, “I don’t need all my power to stop the race; I’ll talk the foals into not bullying each other again. I just have to make sure I have enough that Twilight Sparkle can’t defeat me before the portal takes her away.” Starlight nodded, glad that she had thought it out. She did not find talking to herself to be worrying.

She had just enough time to touch down on the ground before the portal called to her once more. And so, for the next few iterations, she held back her magic; she would make a token attack or two, but she upset the race with words and guile as she recovered. The princess and the dragon seemed content to make similarly token overtures at stopping her, but they mostly watched and waited. Starlight wasn’t sure if they were waiting for her to slip up, let her guard down, or go crazy, but it didn’t matter; she would take the opportunity to recover.

Once her magic was on the mend, she turned to other strategic concerns. Food and water came to mind. The latter was easy enough; Cloudsdale is made of clouds, after all. Food was harder, but so long as she was willing to subsist on lunches stolen from foals she should be fine. With the simple matters settled, the question became sustainability. After all, she had enough magic to deal with Twilight now, but they were right; as time passed, they would grow and she would wither. What she needed was an equalizer, something to let her deal with them. Something that would let her fight on an even level with a full-grown alicorn. Something like an amulet, perhaps. Unfortunately, she had no idea where she might find such a thing; it's not like ancient artifacts of tremendous power grew on trees, after all.

Starswirl’s scroll could help her, but it remained in Twilight's possession. Or...at least it was in the present. Future. Whatever. At her current time, the scroll was unmade and the resources she would need to make a new one were still in the Star Swirl the Bearded wing of the Royal Canterlot Archives. Should she want to create it, she would need to get to Canterlot, sneak in, and either finish it within one loop or steal what she needed. Or try without her notes, but that was a disaster waiting to happen. If she had access to the Cutie-Map it might be easier, but that wouldn't exist until far later. No, she'd have to do without and find a way to tip the balance.

Several further loops passed by, the original events oh-so-cleverly subverted each time. Unbenounced to her, Twilight continued to return to ever-stranger futures; she all but ignored Starlight for three loops straight trying to imagine just how Mr. and Mrs. Cake had conquered Equestria that one time. (She asked while she was there; it didn't help.) As time turned forward for the three of them, and only them, it wasn't much longer before a complication arose that neither of them had considered.

Boredom.

Each loop in total rarely lasted longer than fifteen minutes, and sometimes as few as five; it was only three hours (or ten loops) in when Starlight began to feel it. She already taught the foals, blasted the foals, and distracted the foals; while she could do the same thing again and again, she found herself working to add in variations on those themes. Perhaps a shield spell to block the race. Perhaps a fireworks spell to distract them (they had no attention span, after all). She didn't know it, but her attempts to keep things fresh were doing the same for the futures Twilight was whisked away to. In that regard, Twilight was luckier; she got to see any number of alternate futures play out, even if there were several repeating themes there as well. Of course, they were horrific perversions of the Equestria she knew, so perhaps she wasn't too lucky.

Twelve hours in and Starlight began to worry that alicorns don't sleep. Fifteen hours in, her worries were proven unfounded when she found herself waiting longer than usual to be drawn back to the beginning. After one more hour of not being drawn back in time, she found a modestly-comfortable place on the ground to settle down for a nap. Her sleep was restless, disturbed by daylight and the occasional animal. Still, she got what she could before the portal finally opened for her and dropped her into the past. She drowsily convinced the foals not to fight before the princess showed up, looking better rested than Starlight herself. Indeed, as it turns out Twilight had found an apocalypse intact enough to have an inn she could stay in.

And so, they continued. It wouldn't occur to Starlight for another fifty hours or so (including two more periods of sleep), but that was the first "day" of their eternal battle. When the thought finally did come to her on the fourth "day", as she was transforming Rainbow Dash into a bowl of petunias, it was followed by "exactly how many days do I have to do this?"

"No", she told herself, watching as her opponent was once more returned to the present, "I can't quit now; Twilight Sparkle and her stupid friends have got to pay for what they did. This is the only way for me to get my revenge." Once again, Starlight did not find it odd that she was talking to herself. And any foals that were staring at her were surely just reacting to her transmogrifying one of them into a plant. She didn't have to justify herself to them.

They looped.

They looped again.

Brief skirmishes and magic duels punctuated longer periods of inactivity, neither willing to invest their whole strength. Twilight's sleep schedule was becoming predictable, and Starlight began to learn how to power nap, sparing time while Twilight slept with which to prepare. As each "day" approached its end, she sought more peaceful resolution, which would enable her to move about Clousdale in a way that shooting at foals with magic would not. She learned that the pegasi were surprisingly touchy about that in the loops that she stuck around. In her off-time, she found that the Cloudsdale library didn't have much to offer on advanced magic or artifacts, but she poured over what it did at the expense of rest. It was as she was beginning to make some progress nearing the end of the first "week" that she noticed something new.

Her eternal opponents were playing chess.

Twilight and Spike had found an old chess set in some absurd future, and had brought it with them. In the middle of one of their fights, with magic beams dodged and blasts crashing against shields, Twilight spared enough focus to hold the board steady in her aura. At first Starlight mistook it for some sort of secret weapon, what with the pauses and the way Twilight kept glancing back at it, but no, they were just playing chess. Spike would make a move, and Twilight would make her own after a shield was properly stable before getting back to the battle.

This annoyed Starlight. This enraged Starlight. "How dare they fool around when I'm trying to fight them?"

"Uh, because you're not doing a good job?" answered a little blue foal, just before being frozen solid. The question was rhetorical, after all, even if she said it out loud.

Another loop, and the chess game continued, to Starlight's continued annoyance.

And another.

And another.

She tried to ignore it, she really did, but it was just so irritating that she wasn't being taken seriously. Sure, Twilight made a point that she had a friend with her but this...this was insulting. Still, best not to dwell on it; she had to make them suffer, she had to keep them from the rest of their merry little band of dream-crushing equality-haters. Anti-equalists? Unequalists? Never mind; she'd think up a better word later; she couldn't afford to get distracted. Which is why it was even more annoying when she was snapped out of her obvious distraction by a shout of "Ah-ha!"

Starlight perked her ears, gathering her magic to deal with whatever masterstroke the alicorn thought to unleash against her. Her eyes trained on the pair, her magical senses opened wide, ready to handle whatever they threw at her, to prolong their punishment, to –

"Checkmate!" cried the purple princess.

As it turned out, Starlight was not ready for this.

"WHAT?"

Twilight tilted her head as her attention was drawn to Starlight. "What?"

Starlight seethed, snorting her breath and gathering more of her mystic might. She would end this taunting alicorn.

Twilight's muzzle scrunching in confusion before she suddenly perked up, giving a Starlight a smile. "Oh, I'm sorry, that was rude of me. Do you want next game?"

Starlight's response was a mix of unintelligible yelling and magical violence. Twilight was forced onto the defensive again, the race was stopped due to collateral damage, and the princess found herself in a future of civil war between the Equestrian diarchs.

Fortunately, Starlight had time to calm down and collect herself. Unfortunately, Twilight's first words upon her return to the next loop were "I was serious, you know; you can play if you want to." Starlight restrained herself to only a minor outburst, but it was a close thing.

Loops passed.

They slept.

Loops passed.

While she still didn't recognize the threat, Starlight found herself ever more firmly in boredom's insidious grip. She tried to make the best of it, tried to keep her focus on the little bits of study she could manage, the progress she was making, but the worst kind of boredom is that caused by obligation and boredom is hardest to deal with when someone else is having fun. And strangely, the princess and her dragon seemed to be having fun. Their game gave them a measure of consistency in the ever-changing futures they were flung to, gave them something to focus on that wasn't the unwinnable battle or the horrors between. So it was that Starlight found herself thinking more about the offer to play.

She reasoned that it was just taunting, trying to get her off her game. Her shame that it worked was enough to ignore the thoughts for a while, but they returned. She reasoned that it was a ploy, that there was some sort of trap, and so she would be a fool to spring it. This justification lasted only until she convinced herself that she could spring the trap intentionally and take advantage. She reasoned that it wouldn't be much fun anyway; its not like she wanted to play with the stupid alicorn or her stupid servant. But then it occurred to her that she had been challenged. She, a mage of her might and wisdom, had been challenged to a game of strategy. And her need to scratch the itch to do something agreed with her pride: that could not stand.

So it was that a few loops later, after she was talking down the foals once more, that when she heard Twilight declare "Checkmate!" once more, she spoke up.

"Alright, it's on."

"Huh?"

"You and me, Sparkle. Let's play."

"You...really?"

"Why not? You can't beat me in magic, and you can't beat me in strategy."

"I'm pretty sure I have a strategic victory already, actually."

"Shut up and set up the pieces."

Twilight shrugged, trying not to look pleased with herself as she floated the board out between them. They approached, still on guard, still wary, and the game began. It had to pause shortly after the third turn due to the portal appearing yet again, but it resumed as soon as Twilight had returned. So it continued for several loops, for they had no timer and neither was short on time. The opening transitioned into the middle game, pieces were freed to move about, options were opened, and they spent more and more time thinking about how best to defeat their opponents. Starlight did not grow lazy with regard to the alicorn; she was cautious each time Twilight lit her horn, she worked to distract the foals before Twilight arrived, and even as they gradually drew closer to the board (and each other), she was ready for the first sign of magic breaking the informal truce that developed. Twilight too was cautious, knowing that she could use this as an opportunity, but Starlight could use it just as well.

Another loop came, and a bishop was taken.

Another loop went, and a knight was sacrificed.

Soon, they began to talk. It was not friendly talk, but it was better than silence. A little verbal sparring to accompany the game, taunts about this move or that, cracks about their situation and character. Neither would say it brought them closer, but it did ease the tension between them, let them relax their guards just a little more. Still, it was tenuous; something as small as a gesture made with a piece held in magic would be met with a lit horn, and they would stare each other down until the piece was placed. Even so, the peace between them lasted until several loops and a small amount of sleep deprivation later, and its end began when Twilight smiled smugly.

"And I think that's checkmate."

Starlight blinked, before staring down at the board. Twilight had just taken her remaining knight, but her rooks were still at large and her defenses were otherwise intact. "Huh? What are you talking about?"

"You're in checkmate."

Again, she looked to the board, muzzle scrunching. "No, no I'm not."

"You didn't see it?" Twilight gestured vaguely at the board with the sweep of a hoof.

"Didn't see what?"

"How I got you in checkmate."

"What are you talking about? My king is right here! He's not in checkmate, he's not even threatened! And I have control of every square you could use to threaten him!"

"You're right, but there's something you missed."

"And what's that?"

"My pawn advancing."

Starlight's confusion grew to new heights, for Twilight's line of pawns had been fairly static for the last several turns. She scrunched further as she tried to figure out just what the alicorn was talking about.

And that's when Spike landed on her back.

"Gah!" said the unicorn.

"Gotcha!" said the dragon.

"Get her horn!" said the alicorn.

Twilight lunged forward, her own horn glowing as she prepared a binding. Starlight tried to channel the magic she needed to counter, but little scaly claws brought an end to that. She tried to buck him off, but Spike had been bucked off by a real rodeo pony in several Iron Pony competitions, and he was having none of Starlight's amateur attempt. A wisp of green flame curled the edge of Starlight's mane and heated her neck as it passed by one side, and she froze, a scaly hand still holding her horn, giving Twilight the time she needed. Thick bands of purple force encircled the unicorn, and a magical seal descended upon her horn.

"Alright Spike, I've got her, you can let go."

Spike leapt free, and Starlight was freed of her shock. She tried to bring forth her magic, but nothing would come. She cried out in anguish, struggling against her bonds, but only succeeded in falling over on her side upon the cloud.

Spike crossed his arms, a cloud-walking spell letting him make his way back to his friend, much as he had made his way around behind Starlight while the ponies were focused on their game. "Pawn? Really? I jumped on her; I'd say I was a knight."

Twilight smiled sheepishly, her horn glowing as she held her spells in place, giving Spike a shrug of her shoulders. "Sorry, it was just the first thing that came to mind." She spared a glance for the chess board which had been toppled when the tussle began, pieces strewn over the cloud.

"No! NO! Why can't you just lose? It can't end like this!"

Twilight perked up an eyebrow, making sure the restraints were holding. "You mean your revenge?"

"It's more than that! I was helping ponies! I gave them friends! Fellowship! I fixed the rifts their cutie marks caused! You ruined all of that!"

Spike scoffed. "They seemed awfully friendly after they got out from under your hoof."

"It's not going to last! Cutie marks only lead to sadness!"

Twilight shook her head. "Where is this even coming from? Why would you think that?"

"It happened to me!"

"What did?"

"A cutie mark stole my friend!"

The reply came in tandem: "...What?"

"Sunburst! When I was a foal, my best friend, my only friend was a colt named Sunburst. We studied magic together. We did everything together. Then, he got his cutie mark and went off to Celestia's School! I never saw him again! That's when I learned what cutie marks really do, and that's why I started my village: as a place free of being 'special', free of divisions, free of cutie marks!"

Twilight and Spike stared at her, the former's horn softly glowing as she maintained her grip. Starlight panted, gathering her breath after her outburst. Eventually, Spike voiced the obvious question:

"That's it?"

"Huh?"

"That's it?"

"What do you-"

"That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard! Your friend moved away, so you think cutie marks are evil? That's just so stupid!"

"Seriously, you've never heard of sending letters?" added a very irate Twilight. "You didn't ever think to visit him?"

"Well I-"

"This is why you tried to brainwash my friends and me? This is why you made your cultists miserable? This is why you've kept me looping through time for over a week?"

"They weren't cult-"

"Did you even see they way they smiled? Cultists."

"That doesn't-"

"You are one of the greatest mages I've ever met. You have enough understanding and raw power to hold your own against me, and I'm the Element of Magic! And this time travel spell is absolutely brilliant! With your skill, you could do something amazing for the good of Equestria, push the bounds of practical and theoretical magic ahead by decades. But instead, due to your amazing inability to figure out the postal system, you decide to hold the most foalish, the most petty of grudges. And if that isn't enough, rather than that grudge being directed at your absent friend or his parents or even the school, you decide cutie marks themselves are at fault. And rather than talking it out or any of the dozens of ways you could solve this, you developed powerful anti-cutie-mark magic, raised a cult, and sought revenge when your obviously evil, misdirected, and unnecessary plan got foiled. Did you ever stop to think during any of this?

"Um...I mean, the spells took a lot of-"

"Shut up. We're going back in time. We're letting events play out like they should. Then, we're going back to my castle and you are getting some friendship lessons. And help for your abandonment issues."

And so she did.