• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 6,307 Views, 162 Comments

Doctor Who: The Equine Doctor - CTOONfan1



The Doctor get sidetracked on a peaceful world where he runs into a familiar character.

  • ...
12
 162
 6,307

Chapter 2

Derpy and the Doctor, after a long day of delivering other people's mail, finally arrive at Derpy's home. "Finally! I was starting to think we were in a temporal loop. So many houses look alike in this place."

"Oh c'mon, Doctor!" she said with a smile, putting a hoof up to her door. "It's not that bad. I mean, I guess it is at first, but over time you get used to it."

"By over time, do you possibly mean more than two months. Because that's how long we've been doing this together. Two months, a week, and 6 days."

She gave a surprised look at this remark . "You've counted the days?"

"I guess you can say that- well… maybe not counted as much as recalled it- well… not really recalled it either. I just know that's how long it's been. Funny thing, really."

"O… kay. Well I guess you'll be off then?" The Doctor was able to book a room in a local motel for free. Working for a government official had its advantages, she guessed.

He cocked his head. "I suppose I could, you know. Go back to that stuffy old motel room and just mumble to myself all night, but y'know… I was thinking of something different."

She lowered her hoof and turned to face the stallion. "Different?"

With a sincere smile, the Doctor looked right into the one focused eye, which he believes is her left one, and said, "Derpy Hooves, would you -"

"TIME TURNER!"

A shrill voice broke the Doctor's focus. He recognized that voice to be Mayor Mare's. He also recognized the name she was calling. As calling yourself the Doctor often gets strange looks and a large number of questions, he decided it would be better to create an alias to go by while staying here. Eventually he went with the coolest name he could think of. He decided it was probably best to get into the state of mind for this encounter.

Time Turner turned to be exhausted mare and said, "Good afternoon, Mayor! How's your day been?"

A few gasps later, she put on a smile and said, "Oh just fine, Turner. All is peachy. Y'know, except for how the market square is in shambles…"

Turner looked left and right. "Oh right. The monster did cause a bit of damage, didn't he?"

"A little!" she screamed. "If this is a little bit of damage, I'd love to see your definition of a lot of it!"

"Eh, actually, I think you wouldn't want to see that." There was a pause. "Why would you want to see more damage? We've got enough to deal with as is."

She sighed, exhausted from her day of filing insurance reports and preparing an order of several stands. "The point is I could really use your help tidying up. With all of the destruction that thing has caused, we'll need all the help we can get clearing the debris. If you weren't busy, I would very much appreciate a helping hoof."

"Well you see-"

"Of course you don't have to help us with the destruction you had partially caused," she said, walking away ever so slowly. "I mean we are paying for your stay here in Ponyville, as well as any food costs and additional fees. If you don't feel helping to clean our destroyed marketplace would return the favor, I guess that's your choice…"

At this point in his stay here, Time Turner could tell a lot of things about Mayor Mare. One of those things was that she was money grubbing, and would hold anything money related over a person's head until the debt was repaid. He heard a local apple farmer is still in debt to her over some sort of roof fiasco. Without a well-paying job, this wasn't something that would happen anytime soon. He was being paid well enough to get by, but he felt the mayor had some sort of scheme keeping him in this town.

Kicking his hoof, he said, "Well alright then! Always willing to help!"

"I've noticed…" Derpy mumbled to herself.

As he was walking to the cleanup site, Turner turned to Derpy and asked, "Hey! Aren't you coming along?"

She looked at the door. She was just going to fix some muffins and rest. But on the other hoof, the Doctor was going to ask her something before he was interrupted. Maybe tagging along would… "Well okay. If you insist." She flapped along behind him as he led the way, giggling a bit at what might come.

---

The Eleventh Doctor and Apple Bloom were still on their way to town when curiosity got the better of him. "Hey, Apple Bloom. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?"

"Shoot."

"Why was there a weird glowy thing around my sonic screwdriver when it was in my hands?" He got it out and held it in front of him for emphasis.

"Your… wha?" She gave a confused look to him.

"My sonic screwdriver," he said, putting it in front of her. "You know, this thing. It's really… sonic and stuff." He turned on the device and waved it around.

"I know what that is, but it doesn't really answer that question of what either." She looked around, trying to think of a way to not sound dumb when she says it. "…what are hands?"

The Doctor stopped in place, causing the filly to stop with him. "Riiiight. Different anatomy, different names. Okay, speed lesson. Hands." He waved jazz hands at Apple Bloom. "Fingers." He wiggled his fingers when he stopped waving his hands. "Arms." He put his left hand on his right arm and then vice versa. "Feet." He lifted his right leg in the air and slapped his foot a few times. "I don't think there's much else I'm missing, but if it comes up, I'll let you know. Any questions?"

She thought about it for a moment, before saying, "Nah."

"Good. We should be smooth sailing." He continued their stroll to town. "Now back to my first question about the weird glowy stuff. What is that?"

"Y'mean magic?"

He squinted his eyes at that word. "'Magic'?"

"Yeah, magic. Y'know, with a horn. It's all… glowy and stuff." She got a real enjoyment out of reversing his sly mocking from earlier.

The Doctor grew a sly smile of his own. He had never found a piece of “magic” that wasn’t just an extremely advanced form of science in some way. Still, Apple Bloom was a child, and she didn’t know any better. Who was he to ruin the child’s imagination. “Oh of course! Magic! That explains that. The weird glowy stuff was just magic levitating my screwdriver in thin air.”

“Uh... yeah?”

“Now tell me, Apple Bloom, can other ponies besides me cast that type of magic?”

“Yeah again. Usually they can do more that just levitation, though.”

Hearing this, he decided to humor the girl. He stepped right in front of her and held his arms out. “Well then. Do some magic on me! C’mon, make me disappear into thin air, or turn me into a bunny rabbit or something. Maybe poof me up a fez to wear, if you like.” If it was real, he wanted his priorities straight.

She raised an eyebrow. “Y’know I can’t do that.”

“Aw, that’s too bad,” he said in a sad tone he was completely faking. “Maybe one day you’ll be powerful enough in the wizarding arts to. Keep practicing!” He returned to walking as she stood in place.

“Stop fooling around!” she screamed. “Y’know Earth ponies can’t use magic.”

“Maybe you’re just not try-” He stopped again, now raising his hands to his head. "Wait, wait, wait. Earth pony? How can you be an Earth pony? You look nothing like ponies from Earth."

"What’re ya talkin’ ‘bout? Does it look like I've got wings or a horn?"

His eyes grew wide before thinning into a squint. "Wings… and horns. Y-you mean like… pegasi and unicorns. Like the thing the perception filter disguises me as?"

"Um… yeah." She raised an eyebrow. "Y'know, for a grown up, ya don't know much."

The words she just said weren't reaching the Doctor's ears. He was too distracted by the millions of thoughts going through his head all at once. If this was true, then what did this mean for Earth's ancient mythology? Could it be possible that these creatures made their way to Earth at some point? Maybe a psychic link implanted the image into their minds through some sort of… he didn't know. What he did know is that this could change his perception on many things.

He bent down to Apple Bloom's level and held her still. "Listen to me, Apple Bloom. Just listen. I need you to tell me the whole honest truth and give it to me straight." He breathed in and braced for what he would hear. "If we go into town right now... will there be unicorns and pegusi walking around?"

Staring blankly for a moment, she looked to the left for a moment and looking back before saying,”Unless some of them are flying... yes?"

With that, he grew a smile that almost reached ear to ear. He let go of Apple Bloom and stood up, doing a twirl before letting out a cry of accomplishment. "Yahoo! Oh, this is amazing! Just amazing! The ponies, the world, the strange glowy stuff, and now I’ve just discovered the stories humans would tell their young at night are completely true! It's just all so cool! So very cool, cool, cool!"

Apple Bloom looked suspiciously at him. “Everything?”

“Yes. Everything.”

Giving a cocky smile, she asked, “Even the bowtie?”

He stepped back and put a hand over one of his hearts. “Especially the bowtie! It’s the epitome of cool.” He straightened the bow tie, which by the day was feeling less loved, and said, “If it wasn’t for my high right now, I’d be so cross with you. Didn’t your mother ever teach you to not mock a fellow’s neckwear?”

The moment he said it, he could tell that something was wrong. Apple Bloom looked so depressed almost immediately after. “Not really,” she said, quieter than she had ever spoke to him before. “My parents aren’t really... around anymore.”

His throat felt like a rock was lodged in it. He didn’t think that this was even a possibility, and in hindsight he saw how rude it was. “Oh... I’m sorry. Then who do you stay with?”

“My brother and sister, and my Granny.”

“I see.” He couldn’t help but feel bad for the girl. “If you don’t mind my asking... what happened?”

I dunno,” she said. “Applejack won’t tell me straight.”

“And by Applejack, you mean...”

“My sister.”

“Gotcha,” he held a hand up for a moment, processing the Apple in both of their names before saying, “Well what do YOU think happened to them?”

She thought about it for a moment before saying, “I think they’re off on some sorta business trip or somethin’. They’ll probably be back eventually, right?”

He didn’t want to approach this directly. Best to keep her happy. “Yes, of course. They’re on a business trip! They’re probably exploring to world, seeing new sights, and will come home one day with a bag of money and a story for every day of the year.” This seemed to brighten up her mood. “We should really keep going.” She strolled along with a bounce in her step as the Doctor followed, feeling some strange case a deja vu in the whole situation.

---

Somewhere completely different, a figure buried in shadow calls out to an unknown person.

“Have you found him yet?”

Several button mashes are heard before he holds up a hand and stops the unseen person. He leans forward to get a closer look at what they found.

“Yes. We’ve got him. You may think you’re clever, but I know more than you could imagine. Yes... I will find you... Doctor.”