• Published 29th Jan 2016
  • 5,699 Views, 96 Comments

After the Nightmare - CORACK



Nightmare Moon had finally broken free of her prison. It was time to get her revenge on Celestia and bring about night eternal. Six mortal ponies rose up to stop her, using the power of the Elements of Harmony.

  • ...
10
 96
 5,699

Epilogue

Selene stood happily in the field enjoying the warm summer breeze flowing through her coat. After nearly a lifetime of harsh winters, it felt marvelous, even after the month she had spent here in Equestria she still wasn't sick of it. In the distance rolling green hills slowly gave way to the rocky terrain that formed the foot of Canterlot Mountain. She took off at a gallop heading towards the nearest hill.

Panting slightly as she reached the top, she stretched her wings impatiently, and looked to the sky, waiting for Luna to arrive. Far away in the sky, she spotted a small blue speck; slowly it grew larger and larger until she could make out her friend gently gliding down towards the ground.

"Sorry I'm late, court ran much longer than I expected," Luna said. "Are you ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," Selene replied with a smile.

"Remember it isn't just about flapping your wings, without a pegasi's innate magic there is no way those wings could support you. You must feel this magic, take hold of it and direct it through your wings, then you can take flight."

"I know, you've said that a hundred times, but for someone who grew up without wings or magic, it's hard to keep everything in unison."

"Don't over think the process, do what comes naturally, your body wants to fly, it will if you let it," Luna said. "Why don't you try a simple hover."

"I know I'm thinking too much, that's why I chose this spot, I had something else in mind." Selene said with a grin.

"What do you mean?" Luna asked as Selene started to back up. She did not like the twinkle she saw in Selene's eyes.

Selene had chosen this hill specifically, on the side she had climbed it sloped up gently, but on the other, there was a sharp drop downward before it evened out. She took off as fast as she could at the edge of the cliff, praying she would not trip up. When she reached the edge she launched herself into the air, and flared her wings out. Almost immediately she began to fall back down, she started flapping her wings but her strokes were uneven and she accelerated towards the ground below.

Luna watched as Selene fell from the sky, she was already galloping towards the edge of the cliff, preparing to catch the crazy mare before she could fall and injure herself. She knew running wasn't going to be fast enough so with a pop she teleported to the bottom of the cliff and looked up.

A hundred feet above her, she heard the sounds of joyous laughter as Selene glided gently in a circle very slowly losing altitude. Every once in a while she applied a gentle flap to regain the height she had lost. This time Luna noticed with pride that the wing beats were even and smooth. She flew up to her friend grinning happily.

"First off," Luna said. "Don't ever do that again, but secondly congratulations."

"It worked, didn't it?" Selene said, sticking her tongue out at her friend. "I knew I was over thinking it, so I forced instinct to take over and now that I've felt it I can repeat it." She shifted her wings and began to hover in place, Luna hung next to her.

"I do have one question though," Selene said her face turning serious.

"Yes?" Luna asked.

"How do I get down?"

Comments ( 32 )

7199956

I see the story isn't marked as complete, so either there is an epilogue coming, or it isn't the end of the story, and a new arc will begin.

Whoops! :facehoof: I meant to publish the epilogue last night, it is up now.

I felt Selene's giving in was a bit to sudden, I expected her to be more shell-shocked and uncertain.

Don't think of it as giving in, she knows that the Princesses are going to try to find her a way home, it will just take time. For now she's stuck in a different body but she's also been reunited with Luna, Malice has been stopped and she's no longer stuck on a dying world.

Huh. That was kinda... abrupt. Still, nice story! Congratulations on completing it!

7200392

Can you expand on why you think it was abrupt? I could always use the feedback to help improve future stories :twilightsmile:

Luna got home, she saved Selene and Malice was defeated. I'm not saying that there isn't more for the characters to do (Integrating Luna back into Equestria's society, Selene learning more about being a pony, Celestia and Luna looking for Selene's home dimension), but I would consider it a separate story (I haven't planned any sequels yet but it isn't out of realm of possibility)

7200443 Well, it seemed to me that you were building up the conflict, building it up hard, and then suddenly everything comes together in just two chapters and an epilogue. There was hardly any winding down after the climax, so I didn't really think things were done yet. Honestly, I was kinda expecting Malice to somehow get loose since you saw fit to bring him into Equestria instead of just letting him perish in the Dying World.

I dunno, to me it felt like you were getting done with the first arc and the moving on to the second rather than finishing the story. Could just be me, though. Other folks would need to weigh in.

7200498

Thanks for the feedback :pinkiehappy:. I don't know if I completely agree, but it is something for me to think about. I will say that this story ran a big longer than I had originally thought it would so I can definitely see where you are coming from (with the bulk of those extra chapters coming in after introducing Malice)

7200345

I say 'giving in' because of how quickly she switched from being very upset and panicking about being a pony to accepting it with a smile after a tiny explanation.

There's no guarantee she'll go back to Earth (I hesitate to call it 'home' since she was with her father before this and he was traveling away from there) either.

I just expected her to be more emotional about everything, especially finally being free of that dying world. Being a pony is a major thing, not going back to Earth right away is a minor one (it's hardly a change from before), but being in a place in summer is the kind of thing I'd expect her to start crying tears of joy over. She's finally free.

7200618

I say 'giving in' because of how quickly she switched from being very upset and panicking about being a pony to accepting it with a smile after a tiny explanation.

Heh, fair point, though I would have called her more surprised / confused than upset.

Being a pony is a major thing, not going back to Earth right away is a minor one (it's hardly a change from before), but being in a place in summer is the kind of thing I'd expect her to start crying tears of joy over. She's finally free.

You're right, and if I hadn't done the time jump in the epilogue I would have touched more upon this, especially the escape from the endless winter. I appreciate the feedback, between your comments and Syroc's I may need to spend some more time thinking about the last two chapters. Normally I'm not a big fan of going back and making major edits / rewrites after I publish a chapter but you've both made some good points so I won't dismiss the possibility.

Didn't expect it to end this early. Will there be more?

7200800

Didn't expect it to end this early. Will there be more?

:derpytongue2: That seems to be the general consensus among the comments I've received.

I have not yet decided what I want to do, based on the feedback I've gotten, I may make some edits to the last chapter and expand the epilogue. I might also write a bonus chapter that goes after 22, before the epilogue, I'm still thinking about it. As for future adventures of Selene and Luna, there is also the possibility of a sequel but that would be a LONG way off. I've got a whole new (unrelated) story planned and I've also got to start working on the sequel for Into the Black.

7241679

I like both :derpytongue2:

7311352

I am glad, though also surprised, someone noticed that. :pinkiehappy:

7755637

Thanks for the input. I definitely need to go back and do some cleanup at some point, I think all of my stories could use some of that.

If there's any complaint I have about your depictions of Celestia and Luna, it's that they tend to render the achievements of others rather meaningless. You even went back and had the defeat of Nightmare Moon be mostly Celestia behind the scenes.

7949929

:twilightsheepish:

Heh, I guess I'm overcompensating for the show worfing Celestia so badly.

Still, it's a valid complaint, I like the idea of Celestia and Luna being crazy powerful but it does make it tough to explain away everything in a believable fashion. Since them being powerful is a running theme in all my stories, hopefully I'll get better at it as I get better at writing. :derpytongue2:

7951044

I prefer them obscenely powerful as well, but they definitely overshadow all the mortals we like when they can personally fix every problem with brute force.

It was a nice read, i really liked the way you painted Luna 's identity.
Fav' and like, it was earned.

One of the best fics I've read in a while. Glad I picked it up... Less glad that I binge read the whole thing in one sitting. :derpytongue2:

8177079

I cannot be held responsible for loss of sleep. :derpytongue2:

I quite enjoyed this.

8182500

Glad to hear it. :pinkiehappy:

8182515 Ever thought about doing a sequel?

8182672

I won't rule out the possibility, but I've got no plans to do one at the moment.

Well done. A truly entertaining story if ever there was one. You have more than earned your place in my Favorites folder, so take pride in the fact that you kept me on the hook from start to finish. Amazing details and thrilling action towards the end. I hope a sequel may be in the works, but I will leave the final deliberation to you in that regard.

Until then, I will see you next chapter,
Shadow Quill, Messenger of the Moon.

Loved the story!^_^

This is one of the few rare gems on this site.

Only complaint I have is that Decima didn't survive.

Maybe you could do a sequel where she got sucked through the portal to somewhere else in Equestria because she should have survived.

How did I overlook hanging a fave on this?

Corrected...

8694794

Glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

Well this was quite the nice story.

Damm I was hoping something involving Discord considering all the hints you were dropping

Well, there were hiccups here and there, and I had wished that the main antagonist and the lore behind him was hinted much sooner, but overall, this was really good. The author's writing skills carried the story on its back, it kept me engaged even as I was feeling like dropping the story a few times.

Careful, spoilers in the comments, I did write comments as I read through the story.

This story was strange and needs a sequel to it

Login or register to comment