• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 7,504 Views, 30 Comments

Starlight's Promise - yodajax10



Starlight makes an important promise to both Twilight Sparkle and Spike.

  • ...
0
 30
 7,504

Starlight's Promise

Things have been very different for Starlight Glimmer. Her life was changed in pretty much a year. She went from ruling a town where everypony is equal, to being out on the run, to causing Equestria go through disaster, to being the student of the Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle. Starlight was very happy that she made so many friends now, from Applejack to Rainbow Dash to Fluttershy to Pinkie Pie to Rarity to Spike. But with all the friends she had, Starlight couldn't help but wonder how else she could improve.

Starlight was currently living in Twilight's castle, and right now, she was asleep on the downstairs couch. But she was suddenly woken up by a strange noise.

Starlight looked around, left and right to where the noise came from. She was about to go back to asleep until she heard it again, this time from upstairs. It sounded like it was coming from Spike's room. Starlight walked slowly upstairs and snuck towards Spike's room. She slowly pushed the door open and peeked in. Spike was tossing and turning in his sleep.

"No, Twilight! I don't wanna go! Please! Don't make me!" Spike cried.

Starlight looked concerned for the young dragon as she walked carefully towards him. She noticed tears streaming from Spike's eyes.

"Spike?" Starlight whispered. "Spike, wake up!"

Spike instantly woke up with a yelp. Spike rubbed his watery, red eyes and turned around. He nearly jumped out of his bed at the sight of Starlight.

"Oh, hi, Starlight!" Spike said trying to wipe his tears away.

"Spike, what's wrong?" Starlight asked, lifting Spike's chin up with her hoof.

Spike turned his gaze to Starlight with sad eyes. "It's...not a big deal." Spike looked down.

"Please, Spike. I really want to help." Starlight looked into Spike's eyes.

Spike sighed. "Okay, I'll tell you." Starlight climbed up on Spike's bed, and sat next to Spike.

"Alright," Starlight spoke in a calm, motherly voice. "Now, what happened?"

"Well," Spike started. "I had a dream where Twilight said that she didn't need me. She said she was a princess, and that she'd never have use for..." Spike started to choke on his words, remembering an event he wanted to forget but came back in his dreams. "A random dragon..."

Starlight looked concerned for Spike as more tears started streaming from his eyes. "She kept pushing me out the door, but I didn't wanna go! I-I never wanna go!" Spike buried his face in his arms and began to sob.

Starlight couldn't help feeling sorry for Spike. But she didn't exactly know how to make Spike feel better, after all, she and Spike only got to be friends a month ago, and before that, she almost destroyed Equestria! But she still put her hoof on Spike's back and patted him softly. Neither of them noticed, somepony else was peeking through Spike's door.

"Spike," Starlight spoke. "Why don't you tell Twilight about this?"

"I had this dream a lot," Spike looked up at Starlight. "Twilight already knows about it, but I didn't want to tell her I keep having these dreams, because...I think she might be sick of hearing about it."

"Spike," Starlight said. "You know that's not true."

"I know," Spike sniffed. "I just don't want to be alone!"

Starlight's eyes widened at those words. 'I just don't want to be alone!' Her nervous look suddenly turned into a warm smile as she pulled Spike in a warm embrace.

"I know exactly how you feel." Starlight whispered.

"Y-you do?" Spike asked with his head in Starlight's chest fur.

"Of course," Starlight stroked Spike's scales. "You know I lost my friend as a filly. Do you think I wanted to destroy Equestria because I was bored?"

This caused Spike to giggle as he looked up at Starlight.

"What I mean to say is, don't keep your feelings bottled up inside of you," Starlight spoke. "Twilight will always be there for you when you need her, and I will too."

Spike rested his head on Starlight's fur and sighed in relief. "Thanks, Starlight," Spike spoke, starting to get drowsy,

"My pleasure," Starlight nuzzled Spike's head. She noticed Spike was fast asleep in her arms. She smiled and used her magic to lift him to his bed. She then pulled the sheets and blanket over the young dragon, without waking him up.

"Starlight?" whispered a voice.

Starlight turned and saw Twilight peeking her head from Spike's door.

"Twilight?" Starlight asked. Twilight smiled and gestured Starlight to follow her.

Starlight slowly left Spike's room and followed Twilight.

"That was a very sweet thing you did for Spike." Twilight whispered.

"How long as he had these dreams?" Starlight asked.

"I first found out about them a few years ago," Twilight answered. "But Spike told me he had them as long as he can remember."

Starlight looked down, feeling bad on how long Spike had this horrible nightmares.

"Starlight," Twilight looked at her student. "I need to ask a huge favor of you,"

"Yes?" Starlight asked.

Twilight looked at Starlight before taking a deep breath. "If anything happens to me, I want you to be there for Spike."

Starlight's eyes widened. "What? What do you mean?"

"Ever since I became a princess, life has turned much more dangerous to me," Twilight looked up, and saw a memory of her library being blown up and Lord Tirek capturing her friends flashing before her eyes. She turned away, blocking that memory out of her mind as she looked at Starlight. "With that going on, I just can't have Spike be put in danger of that...not again. So, please, if anything were to happen. Promise me, that you'll be there for Spike."

Starlight looked back at Spike sleeping and smiled. She turned to her teacher. "I promise."

Twilight and Starlight shared a hug as Twilight whispered. "Thank you, Starlight." Twilight then exited back to her room as Starlight looked back at Spike.

She quietly snuck in Spike's room and climbed in his bed. She laid down next to the baby dragon and put her hoof around him. Starlight suddenly felt Spike hugging her leg in his sleep. "I love you, Starlight." Spike whispered in his sleep.

Starlight felt tears sting her eyes as she kissed Spike on his forehead. "I love you too, Spike." Starlight whispered as she fell asleep with Spike.

Comments ( 30 )

"I love you"?
Well, their relationship has certainly progressed...

My d'aww meter broke.:fluttercry:

6819936 :ajbemused:Really?

6819949 Did I mention romance? No.

6820000 I never said anything either.:moustache:Why would you assume that?:duck:

6820038 I didn't 'assume' anything. I simply stated for the record I didn't mention romance. Why, what are you implying, by implying that I was implying that? :derpyderp2:

6820065
I'm confused now.:applejackconfused:I'm just going to forget about this conversation b/c it's getting a little off track.

Awww!:fluttershysad:
While I may not be that much of a Starlight fan right now, this was pretty cute.

New love interest perhaps?

6820535 No, Spike sees Starlight like a big sister or a second mother.

Wow. That went by fast. I barely even got to enjoy the story!

Not bad, a good little one-shot and something I could easily see Twilight asking of Starlight.

Very interesting concept. If it was ever incoporated into the show, Spike and Starlight would both get bigger spotlights.

6821286

Well, the good news is, the writers DID say Twilight wouldn't outlive her friends, of course implying the whole Alicorn extended life expectancy; What that spells for Cadance and Shining Armor, who knows.

What they DIDN'T say, was if Twilight was going to be around throughout the entire series or not; Enter the potential stand-in: Starlight Glimmer.

6822230 Cadance was said to have become an Alicorn like Twilight did in the Crystal Heart Spell book, so the same probably holds true for her.

This was a nice one-shot. It actually got me thinking that in Season 6 Twilight will be replaced by Starlight. I'm both sad and happy from thinking this about. Sad because I love Twilight and don't want to say goodbye to her if the writers make her leave but happy because I'm interested in what the writers do with Starlight.

6821286 didn't they get spike a bigger bed

Spike isn't a baby or a kid anymore, Jim Miller confirmed it months ago on Twitter.

6820535 ship what ever you want dude, you don't need to ask for anyone's permission if you think these 2 make a cute couple.

Ever since the season premiere, I thought those two really shared a lot of chemistry! I'd love for them to bond like that again!

Adorableness overload!!!!!!!!!! Maximum capacity! Great job! :twilightsmile: wish this was canon!

I hate you ,yodajax10 ,you are a Sing hater ,and this is completely irrelevant

7921629
You do NOT talk that way to my friend, you jerk.

7413226
Of course he did. He is known as "Big" Jim after all. :derpytongue2:

Why is Spike giving me such Tom Holland vibes here? 😁😁😁

"Of course," Starlight stroked Spike's scales. "You know I lost my friend as a filly. Do you think I wanted to destroy Equestria because I was bored?"

Wrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong she had no intention of destroying Equestria, good story nonetheless.

Awwwwww good story. Favored.

My heart man. :pinkiesmile: That was so beautiful! 10/10

Happy 8th Anniversary!

Login or register to comment