• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,983 Views, 90 Comments

My Enemy's Enemy - BudCharles



Chrysalis' home is taken over, her people enslaved, and her son severely wounded. She has only one option to save her son, and her kingdom - joining forces with her old enemy, Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
12
 90
 3,983

Improvisation

“So, what now?” Pupa asked, as he stood on top of a large sand dune, overlooking the changeling nest, a huge dome-shaped, black and green structure, with thousands of separate entrances and a waffle-like texture.

There was no response.

“Uh, hello?” he added.

He turned around to see Chrysalis literally pushing Fluttershy up the hill.

“Um, mummy, why are you still down there?”

Pupa tilted his head slightly with curiosity.

Breathlessly, Chrysalis tried to explain. “Fluttershy… froze halfway up… talking to herself…”

“I can do it, I can do it, I can do it” Fluttershy continued whispering to herself as Chrysalis continued pushing her.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes as she continued pushing the pony up the hill. “So much for saving our energy.”

“At least she tried?” Pupa offered.

“I can do it, I can do it, I can do -“

“You’ve already done it” Chrysalis interrupted, waving a hoof in front of Fluttershy’s face to snap her out of it.

“Oh. Yay!” Fluttershy whispered, genuinely proud of herself.

“Why don’t you tell her what really -” Pupa started, loudly, before being shushed by his mother.

“Oh, right, secret. What really happened?” he finished, whispering.

“Well because - actually I’m not sure” Chrysalis replied. “I just have some feeling, like I shouldn’t. Like it might - hurt her if I do? I think I’m going crazy from being around these ponies.”

“Yeah, you’re going totally crazy, but that’s okay, because you’re my mummy” Pupa replied matter-of-factly, before realising he was supposed to be whispering. “Sorry.”

Chrysalis laughed equally loudly. “It’s alright, we can stop whispering now.”

“You’re going crazy?” Fluttershy interrupted. “Oh my. What kind of crazy? Are you seeing things? Or just stressed out? Have you had enough sleep? Have you been through much stress lately? I can teach you some breathing techniques?”

Chrysalis gave Fluttershy an extremely unimpressed look, while Pupa took his turn to giggle.

“You were asking a question earlier,” Chrysalis asked Pupa, “what was it?”

“R-right” Pupa snorted, rolling around in the sand. “I was, w-wondering what the- HEHEHEHE - wondering what the, the - PFFFFT!”

Chrysalis used her magic to lift Pupa out of the sand in an attempt to calm him, revealing a changeling-shaped sand angel below him.

“I was… w-hehe-wondering what the plan was.”

“Ah, yes.” Chrysalis replied. “Well, Twilight and I - wait. Actually - we don’t have a plan.”

“No… plan?” Fluttershy whimpered, before fainting, falling over sideways into the sand.

Back inside the dark, wooden ‘library’, Twilight, having slowly completed a full tour of the room, returned to the first bookshelf. She examined the titles of the books for a moment, before gently pulling out a relatively small hardcover book. It definitely looked old, and smelled stale, but it didn’t have the comforting old book smell Twilight was used to. It was off-putting, almost unnatural.

“Made your choice I see,” Sombra commented, “possession of ponies, ah yes, that is a fun one. One of my favourites as a young king.”

Twilight sighed reluctantly one more time, before opening onto the first page.

“Skip to page ten,” Sombra instructed, “the first nine pages are just the contents and a bunch of warnings.”

Twilight ignored his statement and began to carefully scan the contents.

“Ow!” She shrieked as he sent a black bolt of electricity into her back.

“I said page ten!” Sombra hissed.

“Alright, alright” Twilight replied, flicking to the tenth page, and scanning it silently.

“Read it out loud please.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and read in a mocking and childlike voice. “Chapter One - Preparing The Subject. A common theme with -“

Her ears perked up with curiosity, and she switched to her ordinary voice “-dark magic is the need to prepare the subject. Possession spells are no exception…”

Sombra smiled contently as Twilight continued to read, dropping in the odd comment or piece of advice on using the spells. To his amazement, all eight chapters later, she was still reading! Even he couldn’t read for this long!

“Thankyou for reading,” Twilight finally finished, “Nova Shine.”

“Nova Shine?” she asked out loud as she squinted, re-reading the final line. “I’ve never heard of Nova Shine.

Sombra laughed. “I see your education is severely lacking. Not surprised Celestia would want to cover up the only pony stronger than herself. Nova Shine not only wrote new spells like Starswirl - she created magic. Dark magic, to be exact. She demanded - rightfully so - to be made an alicorn - the ‘Princess of Shadows’. Her request was denied. So, she created an army to attack Equestria. To get her revenge.”

“Liar!” Twilight accused. “Celestia wouldn’t hide anything from me! She told me about every minute of Equestrian history, from Hearthswarming to today!”

Sombra laughed again. “But look around you Twilight, the evidence is everywhere.”

“What do you mean?”

“And I thought you were smart. Tell you what, we’ll make a deal. You perform one of the spells from that book, and I’ll tell you everything about Nova and her army. You could save Equestria with this knowledge Twilight. You could be a hero.”

“I’ll find out on my own, I will not abandon my own laws!”

Sombra pulled Twilight towards him and pointed his horn at her throat. “You don’t have a choice!

Twilight teleported to the other side of the room and laughed herself. “Heh, yes I do Sombra.”

Sombra snarled and lit his horn. Instantly, Twilight’s eyes began glowing white - then turned completely black. Obediently, she walked towards him. “No, I don’t,” she corrected herself.

Sombra smiled.

“So, just to reiterate, we’re both going into a nest, probably full of traps, weapons and monsters, which could have easily been rearranged beyond description, with only your memory as a guide?” Fluttershy asked Chrysalis, as the two of them approached a large, seemingly un-defended entrance on the nest’s exterior.
Pupa watched them, still atop the massive sand dune from earlier.

“Correct,” Chrysalis answered.

“And we have absolutely no backup?”

“Correct.”

“And there’s a ninety percent chance we won’t walk out alive?”

Look! “ Chyrsalis finally snapped. “What else do you want us to do! We have no more time to waste! My number one priority is to keep my little changelings safe, and my son safe, you understand? If you don’t want to help, fine, don’t, but STOP COMPLAINING!

Fluttershy froze in place, letting out a slight whimper as Chrysalis stomped her way into the nest, leaving the pony alone on the sand outside.

“D-d-do I want to help?” she asked herself, tears forming in her eyes. “O-or am I just a selfish scaredy-pony, who is barely brave enough to climb a hill, even when her best friend is in danger?”

Fluttershy laid herself down on the sand and cried.

Inside the nest, Chrysalis found herself stomping through quite a familiar tunnel, the emergency exit. Since it was designed as an exit, not an entrance, all the passageways were sloping uphill - but at least it appeared to be unguarded.

“What an immature, stupid, half-witted -” she hissed to herself.

“-Loving… caring… selfless…” She sighed and turned around.

I’m going to have to go back aren’t I?

Suddenly, Chrysalis heard a thunderous roar behind her, and felt a massive creature grab her by the leg.

Mantigons!” she screeched, as she turned around to see one of the creatures dragging her up the passageway.

Fluttershy heard the screech.

“No Fluttershy!” she said firmly to herself. “You are brave! You are a brave pony! And Chrysalis needs you! So does Twilight!”

She stood up, proudly, and shook off both her sand and her tears, before racing up the passageway.

Back inside, Chrysalis continued her battle.

“Get back! Get back you menaces!” she hissed, firing beam after beam of green magic at the mantigons, with no effect. As she glanced behind her, she could see the green blood trickling down the corridor from her injured leg - and something else - something, yellow?

You get away from her right now!” Fluttershy snapped. “Go on, you heard me! You should be ashamed of yourself you big, ugly monster! She’s protecting her son, her kingdom - and my friend! What are you fighting for? Dinner! Get lost!”

Immediately, the mantigon released its prey and charged towards Fluttershy instead.

“Fluttershy! No!” Chyrsalis cried as the creature leaped towards the yellow pony, pinning her to the ground.

Fluttershy stared deeply into the creatures eyes, the tears running down her own face only amplifying her stare’s power.

“I said get lost!” she snarled.

The creature took a step back, whimpered, then turned tail and fled back up the passageway.

Fluttershy laid back on the ground with relief, while Chrysalis raced over to her, her own leg still bleeding profusely.
“I’m so sorry Fluttershy, I didn’t-“

“It’s okay,” Fluttershy smiled, her gentle voice immediately calming Chrysalis. “I haven’t been the most… reliable pony on this mission. I understand you saying those things, and I forgive you. Now let me look at that leg.”

“Please Fluttershy, that’s nothing, I’m a queen, I can handle a little bite mark.”

“For goodness sakes Chrysalis,” Fluttershy chuckled, pulling a ribbon out of her pocket, “you’re as bad as Pupa! Now stay still.”

Reluctantly, Chrysalis stood still as Fluttershy reached for her injury.

“OW!” Chrysalis suddenly shouted, involuntarily kicking Fluttershy backwards down the corridor.

“Oof!” Fluttershy whimpered as she landed on the ground below.

“Sorry!” Chrysalis gasped with concern.

“It’s fine,” Fluttershy lied, climbing back up the fill, while holding her incredibly sore snout in her wing.

What a place to kick somepony!

“Now, let’s try again,” she said gently, carefully but tightly wrapping the ribbon around Chrysalis’ injured limb. “Hopefully I got the right hole”, she giggled.

“Not funny” Chrysalis lied, while trying not to chuckle herself.

“Let’s go find Twilight, together!” Fluttershy declared.

Author's Note:

Will Twilight escape Sombra?
Will Pupa do something cute?
Will I not screw up the ending?
I friggin hope so!

Anyway, yeah, I guess this is where the actiony part starts, maybe XD Hope you like it xD I actually tried getting the next part done as well but I didn't like it much so I'll try re-writing the next bit :derpytongue2: