• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,746 Views, 472 Comments

"Just Kiss Already!" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



A few misadventures between Rumble and Scoots before the married life.

  • ...
8
 472
 3,746

Chapter 7; Tomato Soup

Author's Note:

Two chapters in one day, what do you think about that? I should probably let you know that before you read this, this story will occasionally have a first person view. So I hope that you'll enjoy it regardless if you prefer third person or not. Enjoy!

After another two days of practice, the weekend came just in the knick of time for Rumble, who desperately wanted a break.

"Fine. We don't have to practice on the weekend. If you get declined because you can't handle a bit of flying, that's on you." Scootaloo replied to his request.

"I was hoping we'd save the weekend for hanging out a bit." Rumble added.

"Fine lover boy, I'll see you Saturday."

And that was the last he'd heard from her. She didn't show up at all in town, or at the park where they agreed to meet. After another hour or so, he decided to see if she was at her house.

With a light knock on the door, Rumble waited for someone - hopefully Scootaloo, to answer it. He instead found her father there.

"Yes?" He asked, stretching the word in an annoyed tone. He was a tall stallion with purple hair that was more red than violet, complete with a slightly gravely voice and indigo eyes. He had a dark orange coat and a raised eyebrow pointed in Rumble's direction.

"Um, yes sir, I was hoping to see Scootaloo? Is she home?" A look of recognition covered the stallion's face as he moved to the side, staring Rumble down.

"Ah, yes, you're that new coltfriend of hers." He said.

"We're just friends sir." Rumble stated.

"Whatever you say. She's upstairs in her room. Why do you want to see her?"

"We were supposed to hang out today." Rumble replied to the pegasus. The stallion nodded his head and went back to his chair, where apparently he was watching TV.

"I won't be stopping you, lover boy."


I heard a knock on the door and woke up immediately, sitting up to see who it was. "Yeah?" My voice cracked. I put a hoof to my throat, which felt pretty raw at the moment as Rumble came in.

"Hey." Rumble said as he stepped in. I couldn't tell if he disliked what he saw. With my stuffy nose and my puffy red eyes, along with my nasally, yet tender voice. I went through yet another round of coughing and sunk in bed. I don't think that I'll be able to say something clever like I usually do.

"Hey Rumble." I managed to get out.

"You don't look so good." He said. I wasn't sure if he could see me roll my eyes, but I did it anyway.

"Thanks Captain Obvious." I croaked.

"Sorry, I guess that the park's out then."

"Yeah, this happens whenever the seasons are about to change." I explain, going through a fit of coughing before smoothing out my tender throat.

"How bad is it?" Rumble asked, sitting on the bean bag chair next to my bed.

"Relax." I say before grabbing a tissue to blow my nose. "This isn't The Fault in Our Stars Rumble, I don't have some terminal illness."

"That's good."

"I just came down with a bad cold is all." I assure him before going through another coughing fit. I try to let out a lengthy sigh, but it comes out choppy and catches in my throat.

"Anything I can do?"

"Not at the moment, unless you want to get me some soup my mom made from the kitchen. She shouldn't mind." I say.

"Okay then, coming right up, M'lady," He jokingly bows in front of me and leaves the room, causing me to once again role my eyes.


After a few detours of going down the wrong hallways, Rumble stumbled across Scootaloo's mother, a fairly young looking mare, she looked astonishing beautiful. With her long raspberry mane flowing from one side of her head to the other, and her dandelion almost orange coat. With her big shining purple eyes, she looked a lot like a slight recolor of her daughter. Save being completely barren of wings, and her longer mane, the two looked very similar.

She smiled up at the teen, being just about a few centimeters shorter. "You must be Rumble, nice to see you again, you sure have grown since I've last seen you." She said, looking at him more closely.

"It's great to see you again too, do you know where I can find the kitchen, I haven't been here since-"

"You and my daughter were running around the house a few years back?" She finished.

"Yes Ma'am." Rumble nodded.

"What exactly are you looking for? I hope you're not scavenging for food."

"I wanted to bring some soup for Scootaloo." Rumble explained.

"Oh, that's so sweet. I was just planning to bring up a bowl to her. I guess that you can go do that now." She said. Rumble followed her to the kitchen, where he balanced a tray of Apple Juice, Tomato soup, along with a gigantic pack of crackers on his wings.

"Be careful, I just had this carpet cleaned." She warned.

"Yes Ma'am." Rumble replied, finding his way back much more easily. The mare smiled and went back to what she was doing.

"Call if you two need anything."


I had just shut my eyes when I heard my door open. I lean upwards and look to the door to find Rumble. And sure enough, he was carrying a tray of food for me, the scent of tomato soup managed to make me smile.

"Here you go, it took me a while to find the kitchen, but-"

"Thanks Rumble." I say, he crouches down and carefully slides the tray onto my bed, where I prop myself up on a pillow and stare down at my lunch.

"What's with the straw?" Rumble asked, looking at it with a confused expression.

"In my house, when somepony's sick, we don't just eat soup and sleep all day, we have our own way of doing things." I croak, waving the straw around before plopping it into the gigantic bowl.

Rumble watched without comment as I slurped my way through my meal, and crunched on my crackers. I eventually set my tray on the desk next to my bed. "I need to thank my mom." I say, breaking the awkward silence.

"She's pretty cool."

"Yeah."

"Will you be better soon?"

"Hopefully, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sometimes this can last days." I warn him.

"Oh well, as long as your better eventually." I felt happy that Rumble was there, just him being there made me feel better. 'Does that mean what I think it means?' I wonder. I reach for my Apple Juice, but I end up knocking over the nearly empty glass.

"Shoot." I say, leaning over to try and pick up the emptied container. Rumble jumps up and catches my hoof before he bends down and picks up the glass before he sets it on my desk. I feel a shudder go up my spine once he brushes past me, and heat begins to flood my cheeks.

"It's a good thing that that didn't break." He says, turning back to me. He starts to move away, but I grab his hoof with both of mine. Something about him no longer this close just...felt empty.

He looks to me with a bit of surprise in his eyes, and I just stare down at my hoof as he sets himself on the bed next to me. He moves his gaze from my blushing red face to his hoof in mine. I find his eyes staring at mine, which makes my wings nervously flutter.

'What am I doing? Why am I freezing up like this? What's so important about him being there next to me?' What was so important about him being there next to me? Maybe it was just me being sick, but a part of me just wanted him to stay there. I felt warm, and not just from the fever.

"I'm, glad you came." I say, forcing the words through my throat.

"I am too." He says to my surprise. I find him slightly tugging on my arm, and I can't help but lean closer to him.

'What am I doing? Why am I getting closer to him?' Part of me had no clue, but a small part of me, another part that must've been fighting it's way through the other parts, seemed to know. I see his eyes close, and feel mine doing the same, as he pulls me into him.

'Wait." I say aloud. He opens his eyes and looks into mine.

"I-I'm sorry." He says, backing away. It felt like all the warmth I had felt left as he leaned away. I wanted to say that it was okay, that it was simply some stupid thoughts. But I ended up staying quiet, and hugged my arms to my chest. We looked away from each other, a long silence seemed to spread as we both turned red as the tomato soup.

It was soon interrupted by my furious fit of coughing, pretty much breaking whatever reality we had formed around ourselves. "Let's just...keep that between us. And forget about it." I suggest. He nods and stands back up, going back to his original spot.

Now I felt like I was all alone.