• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,749 Views, 472 Comments

"Just Kiss Already!" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



A few misadventures between Rumble and Scoots before the married life.

  • ...
8
 472
 3,749

Chapter 4; Thoughts and Conversation

Rumble heard a light knock on his door. "Yeah?" He asked, looking up from his comic book. The door burst open in a ruffle of purple feathers and squeals. Mainly from Flitter. She wrapped her arms around the teen and nearly squeezed the life out of him.

"Oh! I can't believe it! You've grown so much since we last saw you!" Flitter said, tightening her grip.

"...F-Flitter? Cloudchaser? What are you guys doing here?"

"We just so happened to be in town." Cloudchaser said.

"And I just had to stop by and see my favorite little colt!" Flitter said, releasing Rumble from her death grip.

Rumble gasped as he took a lungful of air. "It's great to see you too Flitter."

"How's life treating ya?" Cloudchaser asked, sitting on the bed next to Flitter.

"It could be worse."

"Is that it? There's got to be more to it than that! Give me details!" Flitter said.

"There's not much to tell you. 'Cept that I'm thinking about going to Wonderbolt's Academy."

"Cool." Cloudchaser said.

"Yes, and what else?"

"My friends are all in their own relationships."

"And what about you? I'm sure there's a bunch of fillies knocking down your door."

"No, not really."

"Really? You're not even friends with that little filly anymore?"

"You mean Scootaloo?" Rumble said.

Flitter nodded. " That's right! Does she like you?"

"As a friend."

"But does she like you, like you?" Cloudchaser asked, getting interested.

"I-I don't think she does." Rumble said, avoiding eye contact.

"That simply won't do. If there's anything I remember from when you were younger, it was that you two stuck together like you were joined by the hip. I remember the way you looked at her, you still like her don't ya?" Flitter asked, a grin stretching across her face.

"Um..."

"Well do you?" Cloudchaser repeated, raising an eyebrow. Rumble blushed, staining his ears red.

Flitter gasped. "You do! You do still like her!"

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean anything!" Rumble claimed.

"Oh yes it does, I know you Rumble, you have strong feelings for her don't you? You really really love her don't you?"

"Well..."

"Do you?"

Before Rumble could answer, Cloudchaser set a hoof on Flitter's shoulder. "Okay Flit, I think you've asked enough questions. Give the kid some space."

"Oh, silly old me, crowding up over ponies as usual. Sorry Rumble."

"Don't worry about it." Rumble said trying to put on his best convincing smile. The duo continued asking their questions, and he continued answering them. But they didn't stick to him like the first few did.

Later that night, he found himself lying awake for a different reason than his other sleepless nights, the same question he kept trying to answer. Was Flitter right? He always felt like it was just a small crush he just had, that it would go away soon enough, but could it be true?

Did he really love her that way? Or did he just like her?

Those questions kept him up all through the night, demanding to be answered. Only he wasn't sure how to.


Scootaloo sunk into the couch. Drinking her soda through her straw. "Thanks for inviting me over, I had a lot on my mind."

"No problem, Squirt. After all the help you gave me last week, It's the least I can do."

"All I did was bring in a bunch of Soarin's boxes."

"And we wouldn't have done that in one day if you hadn't helped us out ya know." She said, popping off the cap to her bottle.

Scootaloo drank a long sip before saying something on her mind.

"I don't get it."

"What're you talking about?'

"I hope you understand this, but I don't get the whole 'being in love' thing." Scootaloo said.

"Go on."

"I mean, two ponies, any two ponies can fall in love with each other, and they can date and hang out and kiss all the time. But I just don't see it. I don't get it."

"Is there a reason why you're mentioning this? Could this be the thing that has been on your mind?" Rainbow Dash asked. Scootaloo didn't reply.

"Listen up, Squirt, whether you believe it or not, I felt a lot like you do before. Remember when all of my friends started dating?"

"Yeah."

"I'm not gonna lie to you, I felt left out. Like you, I didn't get the whole 'falling for someone' thing. One moment my friends are single, the next they're chattering away about some other pony."

"You felt left out?"

"Yeah, I couldn't really relate since I haven't been in that type of relationship before." Rainbow Dash said, twirling her straw around. "I didn't think I ever would at first, but I eventually found someone to understand that feeling with, and he makes me happy. I didn't know how I really felt about him, but I finally realized how I truly feel about him, and I love him. I had to take a long time to 'thaw out' as he puts it to say this to him, but...after saying those words, I couldn't be happier. Now he's moved in with me."

"You mean you eventually found somepony anyway?"

"Key word, eventually. It took a while to realize it, Soarin' and I started off as friends, and we hung out all the time. After 'thawing out' and finally admitting my feelings, we started dating, and look at where we are now." Scootaloo looked down, sparking Rainbow's curiosity. "This isn't about that colt Rumble from the other day, is it?" She asked.

Scootaloo blushed and immediately turned red, straightening up as she uttered a response. "N-no!" She quickly replied before turning away.

"Then what's with the blush?" Rainbow Dash teased.

"I'm not blushing!" Scootaloo said trying to think about something else.

"It's okay to like some ponies a little you know." Rainbow Dash said knowingly.

"I only like him as a friend." Scootaloo said.

"You know which like I mean Scoots."

Scootaloo went quiet and rubbed her arm, her blush getting redder. She mumbled. "A little." Despite her best efforts, Rainbow Dash heard her anyway, deciding to milk it a bit, she put her hoof to her ear as though she didn't hear clearly.

"What was that?"

Scootaloo sighed. "I may like him a little." She said.

"One more time."

"You know what I said!" Scootaloo shot. Rainbow Dash smiled.

"I don't know what you're talking about." She said, closing her eyes and sipping on her straw expectantly. Scootaloo groaned.

"Okay! I may like him, just a bit."

"That's all I needed to hear." Rainbow Dash smiled. Scootaloo could tell she was up to no good. But she knew she was too late to stop it. She flopped onto the back and covered her face with her hooves.


'Do I like him more than a friend?' Scootaloo kept asking herself. She stared at her desk, finding years of past scratches and pictures made in it, some of which had names of other ponies from previous years, and some she knew from ponies around town. She continuously stared at the lettering, ignoring the review of whatever the teacher was teaching.

She had something else on her mind. And she wasn't quite sure what it was. 'Do I have feelings for Rumble?' The idea sounded ridiculous to her, though part of her liked it.

She snapped out of her trance once the bell rang, and a scuffle of notebooks and saddlebags and pencils cleared her head. She packed in a trance like state, not really looking up from the floor.

It wasn't until she was jumped on that she looked up. "What the-"

"We're so sorry!" The two mares cried out. They started talking at miles per minute, apologies shooting at Scootaloo too fast for her to catch up with. She waited and let chatter go on and on until for another minute or so, just when it made one continuous noise, stuck her hooves into the pair's mouths, immediately silencing them.

"I forgive you alright? Just don't let it happen again."

"We promise." The two said, their voices muffled through Scootaloo's hooves. Scootaloo dropped her arms and continued down the hallway. Her friends bounced back up and followed quickly after her.

"Is that it?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"What do you mean?"

"How're you able to forgive us that easily?" Apple Bloom asked.

"I don't know, I'm not that mad about it anymore?"

"You aren't?" The two asked, their voices overlapping with each other.

"I've kind of had a lot of other things on my mind lately."

"Like what?" Apple Bloom asked. Scootaloo grew hesitant.

"Wonderbolt's Academy." She quickly stated.

"Oh, I guess that is a lot to think about." Sweetie Belle shrugged.

"Can't say I blame ya there." Apple Bloom agreed.

"Okay, um... I should get to class before the bell rings again. See you girls at lunch."

"See you later Scootaloo." Sweetie Belle called out. The trio raced down the halls to their next class.


Just as she promised, Scootaloo went to sit with her friends at lunch, and it didn't surprise her to find Pipsqueak and Button Mash there. The two were sitting next to their girlfriends, so Scootaloo sat at the end of the table as usual. Even though her friends tried to include her in on the conversation, she either shrugged or shook her head.

Eventually they saw that she wanted to be left alone with her thoughts, and continued on with their chattering, something she was used to hearing. It wasn't until everyone went silent that she looked up.

"Is something wrong?" Scootaloo asked, whipping her head to them. She followed their gaze to the lunch line, seeing Rumble wave as he approached the table. He sat across from Scootaloo smiling awkwardly as he looked to her friends. All four eyes bounced back and fourth between the two, as they talked with each other.

"What are you doing here?"

"I wanted to have a little conversation is all."

"Are you sure you want to do it here?" Scootaloo said, nodding her head a bit to the side to her friends.

"Meh. It doesn't really matter where."

"Are your friends okay with you sitting here?" Scootaloo asked, turning back to the table Rumble usually sat in.

"They won't mind. I just wanted to talk."

"About?" Scootaloo asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I wanted to know if you still wanted to practice today."

"I said I would didn't I?" She reminded him.

"Yeah. You did, but I also wanted to know if you wanted to go somewhere afterwards." Scootaloo nearly choked on her salad.

"Y-you mean like a date?" She coughed.

"No, more like hanging out together." Rumble corrected.

"Oh, okay then sure. I don't have any other plans." Scootaloo said once she recovered.

"See you then." Rumble said. Before he moved towards his own table, he dropped a note underneath the one she sat in. Her friends turned back to the coltfriends with curious eyes locked on Scootaloo, who reached underneath the table to pick it up.

Hiding it from view of everypony else, she opened it.

Bring your appetite.

She didn't know why, but something about the message made her crack a smile.

Author's Note:

Hope you don't mind dialogue. I went all over the place with this, but I hope you liked this chapter anyway, even though it's not the best. If you have any suggestions for the next one, let me know in the comments please.

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

-Candy:heart: