• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,749 Views, 472 Comments

"Just Kiss Already!" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



A few misadventures between Rumble and Scoots before the married life.

  • ...
8
 472
 3,749

Chapter 22; Closer

The two panted as they flopped down on the cloud. After a long afternoon of practice, the two finally finished. They flew around Ponyville for the highest and farthest cloud from any pony, until they came across one cloud at a dizzying height, that was big enough to fit the both of them.

The two each took a moment to catch their breath, until they finally slowed their breathing and looked to the sky. "That was some practice," Rumble said.

"Easy for you to say, you were the one teaching me today, how are you so out of breath?"

"It's as hard to coach you as it is to be coached by you." Rumble replied.

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. "Whatever lover boy, so what exactly did you want to do up here?" she asked. Rumble looked her direction and right into her eyes.

"I wanted to tell you something else." Rumble said.

"And what would that be?" Scootaloo asked, doing her best to keep her tone of voice. Though her stomach seemed to drop all the way to the ground.

"I don't want any more barriers between us Scoots, we've known each other for years, yet we still can't help but blush and say nothing when we're together." Rumble said.

"It's not that easy Rumble," Scootaloo said, starting to get a bit defensive.

"I'm just saying we should try knocking down a few more walls that we built between ourselves."

"First off, isn't that the whole point in a relationship? Second, why are you being so metaphorical all of a sudden? I thought that we agreed that cliché's are overused."

"I know, but we haven't done much progress. Do you want to blush in public every time we talk about something with each other?"

"No, but I don't want to take such a huge step like that." Scootaloo said. "Besides, we made some progress."

"Such as?"

"I let you wrap your wing around me, and I always get closer to you when we sit together..." Scootaloo said, "when no pony's watching."

"But I would like to take it a bit further, you know? I'm not saying we should do anything drastic, but I'd like for us to get a bit closer to each other."

"You're so stubborn." Scootaloo scoffed with a smirk.

"Look who's talking Hot Shot." Rumble shot back with a sly grin.

"Fine, what do you suggest?" Scootaloo said.

"Well for starters, we could tell each other about more things. In a bit more specific way than with friends." Rumble said.

"Do you want to tell our friends about this?" Scootaloo asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Honestly, I don't feel the need to do that yet. Maybe later, when our relationship grows."

"Okay, then can you answer my questions for a change?"

"What do you mean?"

"For the past few days we ever talked to each other, you called all the shots, let me have a chance at this." Scootaloo said.

"Fine, what's the question?" Rumble asked.

"Why do you hang out with me all the time? Be honest." Scootaloo hugged her arms to her chest.

"I told you before, and I'll tell you again, I like hanging out with you. You were always different from other fillies, determined, and I've hung out with you long enough to know that underneath all that tough skin, you have a soft side." Rumble said.

"You don't find interest in any other mares? You don't want anything from me? Don't you ever think they might be better than me, or look better than me? Don't you?"

"Why would I think that?"

"I don't know, okay?!" Scootaloo snapped. Rumble fell silent as he looked at her rage filled eyes. "I...I don't know. I just always thought that you could hang out with any other mare in Equestria, and you're so nice and you just go with the flow. I always wondered why you would want to spend anytime with me."

They both fell silent as Scootaloo ripped her reddening eyes away. She put a hoof to her face once she felt moisture boiling up in her eyes. 'Why am I crying now? Now of all times to?' She quickly wiped it away and hoped Rumble wouldn't notice.

But he wasn't fooled. "Scootaloo?" he asked hesitantly, seeing big tears roll down the side of her face as she sat up. He rolled to his hooves and edged closer, trying to get a good look at her face but with no prevail. He found a few tears dripping off her face behind her mane.

'Aw shoot, I didn't mean to make her cry.' Rumble thought. 'I'm such an idiot!' He brought his hoof to his face. After a second or so, he turned back to Scootaloo and set a hoof on her shoulder. Scootaloo tensed up and stared blankly out ahead.

"I'm sorry Scootaloo. I shouldn't have mentioned this topic yet." He sighed and looked at her back side. "I don't like all of those other mares the same way I like you, they don't hold a candle to you. I think that you're a great mare, that you're talented. I admire how you don't show any care for those that try to put you down. I like how you're always so determined....I find something beautiful in that." Rumble was surprised that he wasn't blushing, and it felt like a gigantic weight was lifted off his chest upon saying those words.

Scootaloo found more moisture building up in her eyes, and she did nothing as they boiled over. She sniffed once and turned to the side a bit, still hiding her face behind her mane.

"You...think I'm beautiful?" she asked, her voice catching in her throat. Rumble smiled.

"Yes." he said. Scootaloo didn't reply for a moment. Her lips were quivering until they eventually formed a small shaky smile as tears ran like rivers over them.

She heard movement and found Rumble moving closer. He wrapped his arms, and then his wings around her, and rested his head over hers. "I'll always think that you're beautiful Scootaloo, despite what other ponies may say, or whatever you think of yourself, I will always think you're beautiful. Scootaloo's eyes grew wide as the tears on her face stained Rumble's coat. Though he didn't seem to mind, he just rested his head on top of hers and squeezed her into a hug.

The tears came to a halt as she smiled, laying her head on his chest. "Thank you." she whispered, the warmth growing in her chest. The sound of his heartbeat, and the feeling of his arms and wings around her, made her feel like a small child again.


When the two finally parted, neither said a word to the other. They just sat there, watching the sun make it's slow arc across the rest of the sky. And watched the different colors go with it as it began to set. One by one, the stars began to poke out as Luna's moon began to spread out across the sky. A whole assortment of blacks and blues, indigos and purples, mixed in together like a master piece.

"Luna did a great job with the sky tonight." Scootaloo said, watching the forever stretching view.

"She did." Rumble agreed, sitting next to each other. They sat so close together that their wings were touching. Scootaloo leaned into Rumble and he wrapped his wing around her and looked into Scootaloo's eyes. They were like pools of water reflecting the night sky. She shifted her gaze to his, and they stared into each other's eyes.

"But not as beautiful as you." he said with a smirk, knowing she'd laugh. She did, and pushed him to the side playfully.

"You're such a dork." she said, her red ears glowing in the dark radiantly.

Rumble smiled. "I can get used to this."

"Me too." Scootaloo agreed.

Author's Note:

Thank you to all those who commented on the last chapter, that really made my day! I hadn't laughed so hard in ages. Thank you for reading this, I hope you enjoyed. Be sure to leave suggestions on what I should write next in the comments, or say what you think of this. Plus, thank you all for 500 VIEWS, wow I never thought I'd make it that far. Once again, thank you!

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

-Candy