• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,726 Views, 472 Comments

"Just Kiss Already!" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



A few misadventures between Rumble and Scoots before the married life.

  • ...
8
 472
 3,726

Chapter 2; Pizza and French Fries

The next day at school, Scootaloo could barely keep her head up. Not only was it from lack of sleep, but every chance they had between classes, her friends would always swarm her about how 'wonderful' their dates went. Scootaloo was so sick and bored of it that all she could do was try not to fall asleep in the hallways.

It wasn't until Sweetie Belle noticed Scootaloo nodding off that she finally said something. "Scootaloo, I know you're tired of hearing us go on about our crushes,"

"Then why don't you ever talk about something else if you know I don't like it?"

"'Cause we know that you'll one day do the same." Apple Bloom responded. "Don't cha have a little crush?"

"Nope." Scootaloo said plainly. Ponies have asked her enough times for it to become a regular reflex. She started walking to her last class, hoping her teacher wouldn't mind that she sat in there for a few minutes early.

"Not even a tiny one?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Not at all."

"You don't think about anypony at night?" Apple Bloom asked.

"Nada." Scootaloo lied. Doing her best to sound convincing.

"Have you ever thought about your first kiss?" Sweetie Belle asked. Scootaloo stopped, causing the two to bump into her, doing nothing to knock her down.

"That's a bit of a random question isn't it?" She asked.

"Do ya?" Apple Bloom asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I never even had my first kiss." Scootaloo stated to them. The two gasped. Before they could swarm her with questions like she knew they would, she continued. "Nor do I want one. I'm not as willing to get my head stuck in the clouds as you guys. I'm just not interested in romance with anypony at the moment." She stated.

Unfortunately for her, Rumble came down the hallway, making her stop in place as he waved to her. Considering the fact that he was what kept her up the night before. "Hey Scootaloo."

"Hey Rumble." She said, trying to play it cool. Her friends stared from the side, looking back in forth like the two were hitting a tennis ball, a big goofy grin spreading on their faces every time the conversation bounced back to Scootaloo.

"You want to talk at lunch, my friends are going to be too busy tending to their love interests." He said with a roll of his eyes.

"Sure, why not, I'm not doing anything here."

"Okay then, meet you in the Cafeteria then."

"See ya." She waved.

Her two friends stared at her with a childish look on their faces. "Oooooohhh, somepony's in love." Sweetie Belle sang.

"No I'm not."

"Then why'd ya freeze up then?" Apple Bloom asked her with the same tone of voice.

"I just wasn't expecting to see him is all." She replied.

"Admit it, you like him don't you?" Sweetie Belle said.

"No!" Scootaloo said, unwillingly having blush tint the tips of her ears and cheeks.

"Ya do! You like him!" Apple Bloom pointed out teasingly.

"Shut up! I don't like him like that."

"Then why'd ya say yes?"

"Because for the past few months I've been sitting with you guys, I've been hearing nothing but dates and crushes and movies and romance." Scootaloo said, clapping her hooves together and pretending to swoon.

"Is it also because you want to be there with him?" Sweetie asked.

"He's just a friend guys." Scootaloo said, ready to throw in the towel, she softened. She wouldn't be hearing the end of it.

"But you have a crush on him, do you lie awake thinking about him?" Sweetie asked. Scootaloo stopped again.

"Do ya dream about him?"

"Do you hang out with him all the time?"

Scootaloo did her best to try and not turn bright red, and decided to think about something else. 'Wonderbolts, Wonderbolts, Wonderbolts.'

She thought repeatedly, her blush slowly fading. Then her conversation with Rumble the other day came to mind, making her blush come back.

"No." She lied. "I don't think about him like that, I don't dream about him, and before you can ask I don't want to kiss him square on the lips." She said, making Apple Bloom blush a small bit from embarrassment.

"But-"

"No."

"What-"

"Nada."

"Don't-"

"Do you get it? Zero, none, zilch, nothing!" Scootaloo said. "Can we stop talking about this now? My dad will kill me if he hears I'm late for class again." Just then the bell rang, and the group parted ways to their classes.


Scootaloo balanced her tray in her hooves, flying up into the air to locate where Rumble would be sitting. She scanned the lunch room, scoffing at the amount of eskimo kisses she saw.

She eventually located the gray colt, who waved his arms in the air at a single table alone. Scootaloo grinned and flew down to meet him, where she set her tray across from him and punched his arm across the table.

"Glad to see you here too Scoot." He chose the perfect spot in the lunch room, the tables by the open window, where no pony liked going by with the weather outside. It had been jammed open all year, and was stuck that way until the school fixed all of the other windows first. But Scootaloo nor Rumble minded the extra cold.

"I'm so glad you invited me here, my friends won't let me hear the end of it about our little conversation in the hallway today." Scootaloo sighed, picking up her pizza.

"My friends are too busy smooching their love of their lives," Rumble said. Pretending to gag at the words. Scootaloo laughed.

"I'm just glad to have somepony to talk to who won't describe a date in every. Little. Detail." She replied.

"Yeah. How's class treating you?"

"My grades are pretty decent, though they're not the best in the world." She admitted.

"Same here, I thought that you wouldn't really care that much about them."

"Of course I do, good grades are a key to success. At least, that's what my mom tells me. 'Sides, you need to have good grades in High school if you ever want to join the Junior Wonderbolts." She said, crunching on a few of her fries.

"You mean you're joining?"

"I thought it over, and I think that it's a pretty good way to go. Rainbow Dash had to do it. Even though she admits she did slack off, she was lucky enough that she ended her school days with a passing grade."

"Cool, 'cause I'm thinking about joining too."

"Well training at the Wonderbolt's Academy is going to be pretty intense."

"We could always practice on our own."

"Yeah, that sounds cool. We can practice together."

Rumble's ears perked up as he turned red. 'Why does she always think that I think we should do things together?' He asked himself. He resisted the urge to sigh and agreed.

"Guess that you could show me a few tricks and I'll show you some of mine." Rumble stated.

"I'd like that." Scootaloo said, breaking off another piece of her pizza before chomping on it.

Rumble noticed the combination on her plate. "Are you eating pizza and fries?"

"Yeah, don't tell me you think it's a weird combination."

"Well, to be honest I've only seen ponies eat fries with hayburgers. And pizza with pasta. I guess I didn't expect you to do that."

"Yeah I could've had a hayburger with my fries, but I'm not in the mood for it. Why are you asking?"

"Just curious." He replied.

"Good, I'm glad you think so, because I couldn't care less about what you think of what I eat." She said, tossing a few fries in her mouth.

Rumble decided to let that conversation drop. It was a weird one to pick up on in the first place. "Any better luck getting your friends to talk about anything else?"

"Nope. 'Cept that instead of talking about themselves, they're starting to talk about how they think I have a crush on you." Scootaloo laughed like it was the funniest thing she'd ever heard, eventually getting Rumble to join in.

"Really? I would've thought that they think that I have a crush on you."

"Well do you?" She asked, her expression turning deadly serious.

"What?"

"Do you like me like they claimed I like you? Do you want to be more than friends?" Rumble blushed, staring down at his hooves. As much as he wanted to say the words caught in his throat, he had a feeling he already hinted it. Scootaloo froze too. looking at him first before dropping her gaze down to her plate.

"Oh." She simply stated. The rest of the hour was spent quietly. Both of them had a small blush that a normal pony would've thought to be from the cold, but any couple would've thought it was about each other. And the couple would've been right.

Surrounded by cluttered noise, the rest of Scootaloo's food sat untouched on her plate. She continued to stare down at it, not quite sure of what to think. She hugged her arms to her chest until the bell rang.

With that, both of them stood up and went to dump what was left on their trays away. Even though the French fries and pizza stayed fresh in their minds.


Scootaloo was quiet for the rest of the day, she didn't want to think about Rumble, so she just focused all of her attention on the rest of the lessons she was taught. She even let her friends swarm her about how well their lunch went, after a failed attempt to get her to talk about hers.

Even when Rainbow Dash came by to hang out with Scootaloo that afternoon, she mostly remained quiet.

"Something on your mind squirt?" Scootaloo shook her head.

"I just have a lot of homework, that's all. Maybe we can hang out later." Rainbow Dash became surprised at this as Scootaloo walked away from her and continued home.

"Is this because I told you to talk to that colt the other day?" She asked, flying above her surrogate sister's head. Scootaloo shook her head and continued forward.

Rainbow Dash decided to let it drop, and let Scootaloo return home. Where she did all of her homework silently, and just sat in her room for the rest of the afternoon.

"Scootaloo?" Her mom called from the kitchen.

"Yes Mom?"

"Do you want your dinner?"

"What is it?"

"Pizza."

Scootaloo decided not to. She continued to stare up at her ceiling for the rest of the night, unable to let Rumble exit her head.

'Why? Why me of all ponies? Wouldn't he be happier with somepony else? Rumble and me, it's such an odd pair.' She sighed. 'Just like the Pizza and French Fries.'


Rumble was scolding himself in his bedroom. 'I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I lie about it? Why did I even invite her instead of sit by myself?' He hit his head on the pillow, calling himself stupid with each time he did.

Thunderlane found his brother lying face flat on the bed, with his pillow wrapped around his ears. "Rough day at school bud?" His brother groaned in response.

"I'll take that as a yes. You want dinner? Dad's making Hayburgers and fries." He hinted, saying one of his brother's favorite meals. He didn't get the response he expected.

"No thanks." Rumble said through a muffled pillow, curling up into a ball and rolling to his side.

"Suit yourself." His brother shrugged after recovering from his small shock.

And for the second time in a row, neither of the two could sleep that night.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading. In case any of you are curious about why Scootaloo had good parents, or parents at all in this story, it's because, no offense to those who've used it in their stories, I'm sure they're good, but I think it's a bit over used. I don't want to make Scootaloo and orphan or have an abusive family, I just want this story to focus mainly on the Rumbaloo romance. Regardless, I hope that you enjoyed.

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

-Candy