• Published 10th Jan 2016
  • 3,746 Views, 472 Comments

"Just Kiss Already!" And Other Rumbaloo Tales - Candy-Sweets_12



A few misadventures between Rumble and Scoots before the married life.

  • ...
8
 472
 3,746

Chapter 16; Frilly Dresses

Scootaloo jumped as she was poked by a sewing needle. "Ow!" she cried out.

"Sorry dearie." Rarity apologized, taking the pins out of her mouth. Scootaloo tried her best not to sigh at that, all of the excited cheers she heard and the talk about garments and such just wasn't really her idea of fun. She yawned and tried not to move.

Blossom Forth sat across the room and was looking through Rarity's book of designs for the perfect dress to try, her other bridesmares; the ones that weren't becoming a pin cushion, were looking at the designs with her.

"This one looks nice." Flitter said, pointing to a specific design in the book.

"I think it's nice too, but it's a bit too long don't you think?" Blossom said. She sighed. "What about you Scootaloo?"

"Hm?" Scootaloo whipped her head up from her Rarity who sewing the fabrics, surprised that Blossom wanted to talk to her about dresses. "Yes?" she answered.

"Which do you think looks nice?" Blossom asked, flying closer to her and holding the book out.

"Oh, well..." Scootaloo began. 'Aw shoot.' she thought. "I don't take much of an interest in dresses, so..." Scootaloo tried, but her attempt at trying to get Blossom to ask any pony but her failed.

"You don't have to know all about the latest styles and all that," she replied, throwing on a smile. "I just want you to have a look." Scootaloo looked into the sketch book and found several designs. Some of the dresses were big and poofy, others were thin or slender, long, short, big, small, with a veil or without a veil, many of them were combinations or hybrids of the shapes, and each had their own unique design.

"Maybe you could choose that one?" Scootaloo suggested, Blossom looked at what she pointed at; a dress that resembled a flower, which; according to Rarity's notes, was supposed to have the lightest shade of pink on the white fabric. And was supposed to stop at her hooves. Blossom smiled.

"That's a great choice." she replied. "So that leaves me with three options." The mares in the room turned to her as she flipped through the book. "This one," she turned to the one Scootaloo picked out, "this one," she turned to a white dress that was shorter than the rest, and had designs that resembled flower petals. "and this one." She finally turned to the longest dress, where she pointed to the design with several flowery patterns at the front. The dress would stop right at her hooves, and looked a bit like the first and second dress she found.

"I like that one." Cloudchaser said. Everyone else nodded in agreement while Rarity walked up to see which one she chose.

"Alright, is the dress you're going with?" She asked.

"Yes." Blossom Forth said. Rarity smiled and took a pink sticky note from her stack of them on her work table, she took a pen and wrote "BF" on it before sticking it on the page and shutting the book.

"As soon as we're done, I'll get right to it." Rarity promised. She went back to Scootaloo where she started with the last of the sewing. The other Bridesmares were surrounding Blossom, talking back and forth about how beautiful the dress she chose was.

'I'm never going to get used to this.' Scootaloo thought. 'I can't talk about frilly dresses all day.' She tried not to flutter or stretch out her wings, knowing they'd get in the way of Rarity's work. Try as she might to stand still, she was itching to fly.

"Something bothering you?" Rarity asked, looking over her red glasses and to Scootaloo.

"No." Scootaloo replied.

"Scootaloo, I've known you since you became friends with my little sister, I know something is bothering you." Rarity said knowing. Scootaloo couldn't hold in her sigh this time.

"I'm just not interested in all of these frilly dresses." Rarity was used to her friends using the term 'frilly dresses', so she let it slide. "Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I was chosen to be a bridesmare, but I just don't understand why I am one."

"Ah, the old 'I don't think I'm fit for this,' cliché," Rarity teased. "I've seen this countless times in my career, and all I can tell you is that even though you don't think you fit the part, you should embrace it."

"How exactly do I do that?"

"Simple, enjoy it in whatever way you can." Rarity suggested.

"And you say I'm cliché."

"Cliché or not, try it out. Unless you want to spend all of the fittings and wedding rehearsals like this."

"I'll try to enjoy it." Scootaloo said quickly. Causing Rarity to chuckle.

"Good, now hold still before I-"

"Ow!" Scootaloo brought her leg back out of reflex.

"stick you." Rarity finished. Making Scootaloo smile out of embarrassment from her glare.


"How was the fitting?" Rumble asked, Scootaloo said nothing until she set her tray down.

"We chose a good dress for Blossom, and Rarity's going to finish the bridesmares dresses to match the bride's."

"You don't sound too enthusiastic,"

"Well, I'm not exactly a big fan of trying on dresses or getting poked with pins. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Blossom found something nice for her and her bridesmares, I just-"

"Don't enjoy it as much?" Rumble finished before stuffing his sandwich in his mouth.

"Yeah." Scootaloo replied.

"Maybe it'll be better next time." Rumble suggested.

"I hope it is." Scootaloo replied spooning her soup in her mouth. "But the strangest thing was how Blossom asked me about which dress she could pick." Scootaloo said as if were the funniest thing she'd ever heard.

"How is it strange?" Rumble replied.

"I thought that everypony knew how much I don't really enjoy fashion. Sure I like some designs, and don't mind trying on clothes once in a while. But I can't deal with it if it's constant. You know how much I'd rather talk about near anything else over than the next Trenderhoof line."

"Did she pick it?"

"Nah. She picked another similar dress, but I don't mind."

"I can relate. I don't enjoy having to put on a suit for any formal event. I just don't really find an interest in it." Rumble shrugged.

"I can't blame you." Scootaloo agreed. She took another spoon full and set it in her mouth.

"Are you excited for Winter Wrap Up?" Scootaloo asked.

"Yeah. How about you?"

"I'll tell you one thing, once Spring is finally here, I won't have to worry about getting sick again, or having my sinuses act up."

"Speaking of being sick, remember when I came to your house?" Scootaloo tensed up.

"How could I forget?"

"I wanted to know about whether or not there's any other things or traditions your family does."

"Well..." Scootaloo began. "my Mom and Dad always do these things when they hear about a boy I hang out with."

"Such as?"

"You know how you asked my Dad for courtship?"

"Yeah, that was only one of the most terrifying moments in my life." Rumble replied.

"Well my family's always talking about how I might get married soon or how they could become grandparents." Scootaloo blushed and shuddered while Rumble tensed up and blushed as well.

"That explains it."

"Explains what, exactly?" Scootaloo asked.

"Why you don't want to tell you're friends."

"That, and they're likely going to keep mentioning how they could become bridesmares soon, like Apple Bloom and I did with Sweetie Belle for the first few months she started dating Button Mash." she sighed. "But there's no way I can handle that, not without saying or doing something completely embarrassing."

"Same here, if I told Featherweight and my friends, they're going to ask me which one of them will be the best man. And then, it'll be exactly how it was in the last year all over again."

"I'm not dealing with that again. I can handle my parents, but my friends can go as far as spying on our hang outs or trying to see us..." Scootaloo froze and stopped midsentence, blushing all the while.

"See us...what?"

"Please forget I mentioned that last sentence." Scootaloo covered most of her face with her hooves, though the red on her ears gave away how she was blushing so harshly.

"I'll forget it once you tell me what you were going to say." Rumble started feeling uneasy about her response.

"kiss." Scootaloo squeaked. Rumble knew he'd regret asking.

"Oh. Um..." he scratched the back of his head, a nervous sweat breaking on his head.. "I...I don't know how to reply." he said.

"I just hope that they don't find out too soon." Scootaloo said, her voice muffled through her arms.

"Same here."

"Can we maybe talk about something else?" Scootaloo suggested.

"You want to talk about our next date?" Rumble whispered.

"Exactly what would that be?"

"Maybe a walk in the park after practice?" Rumble suggested.

"Or we could practice and keep out the clichés." Scootaloo grinned.

"What do you want to do then?"

"I don't know, does it have to be today? I heard it's supposed to snow by the time we finish." she mentioned..

"Oh! You could come to my house for dinner." Rumble suggested.

"Sounds tempting." Scootaloo said, jokingly putting a hoof to her chin and forcing a serious expression on her face. "Will there be hot chocolate?"

"If you ask, I'm sure my folks'll let us have some, like when we were foals."

"Count me in. I'll need to talk to my parents about it though." Scootaloo said. The bell rang and the two stood up.

"See you later." Scootaloo said.

"See you at practice." Rumble replied. And the two parted ways.

Author's Note:

Hope you enjoyed this Slice of Life chapter, even though it seems to be a little plain. But I'm sorry that I couldn't post yesterday, I had to keep typing and retyping and retyping and retyping until I just had to remake the original chapter since I'm so sick of the old version. Not to mention I had the worst day yesterday, but that doesn't give me any excuse. I'm sorry if this chapter has poor quality compared to the others, but this was all I could come up with. I've still got plans and a future set up for these characters in the future, and I hope that you look forward to them.

Regardless,

Peace, Love, Tolerate,

-Candy