• Published 9th Jan 2016
  • 1,760 Views, 19 Comments

Stuck In A Ship - Fluttertreetop



Rainbow Dash and Applejack are stuck in a ship; a cruise ship to be exact. But what if it sinks?

  • ...
7
 19
 1,760

What's a cruise ship?

Twilight had never been this excited since she got her cutie mark. She could almost jump in every step she would take. Finally, Hearth’s and Hooves day came and the main event would really make her heart leap.

She wasn't the only one who was excited, though. Rarity had those giant sparkly eyes the princess could see within miles. The unicorn squealed incoherent words, until she slowly calmed down.

Why were they excited, anyway? It wasn't much worth screaming for, but as shippers, the two couldn't contain such feeling.

At Sweet Apple Acres, the race field had already been set. Streamers, stalls and banners scattered the open field. The royal parade soon came, bringing some unicorn and pegasi guards, respectively, forming a defensive stance around the magnificent Sun princess.

On the other hoof, Rarity and Twilight met on the dirt road to the farm, with the princess levitating a scroll and a stack of papers.

“I feel so elated, Twilight!” Rarity beamed.

The alicorn turned to her and returned the gesture with the same excitement. “I know!” Her voice raised a few octaves. “I hadn't had a nice sleep for thinking about this!”

Rarity was taken aback by that. Every lady must get the right amount of sleep, as far as she was concerned. She cringed ever slightly but forced a smile. “Oh my. I suppose you should have at least,” she bit her lip. “...put the cucumber slices and the cream I recommended?”

Twilight chuckled. “Spike ate all of them.”

The fashionista choked. “What?!” She almost fainted, but then realized they were in the farm already.

Or rather, her couch was not around.

“Princess Celestia just arrived!”

Rarity looked at where her friend was pointing at. She saw the white alicorn from within distance, sharing a word with the mayor of Ponyville. Not a long seconds after, she saw Applejack, coming out of the barn, followed by Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, you haven't seen everything, dear,” she nudged Twilight on the ribs.

The purple alicorn grinned. “Our progress is indeed quite the shot, isn't it, Rarity?” She grinned even more broadly but then the smile fell when her companion didn't reply. She looked at the unicorn, her eyes filled with hurt. Twilight became worried. “Rarity?”

Rarity shook herself from her daze. “Oh, uh. Forgive me, darling. I was…” she glanced sideways. “...distracted.”

Twilight sighed, as she smiled softly. She already knew what this meant. “Still thinking about AJ, eh?” She placed a hoof on her friend's shoulder.

Rarity sighed. “Yes,” she looked at the direction of the farm pony and the weather pony, who were somewhat yelling at each other. “But we're in the same boat, aren't we?”

The princess bit her lip. “Y-yeah.”

The two fell in an awkward silence until Twilight realized it was time to work.

“We're doing this for our friends, remember?”

“Of course, dear. But what if we are wrong about our assumptions?” Rarity arched an eyebrow.

Twilight thought about it for a second, but afterwards, looked at the unicorn with a determined face. “Trust me.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Twilight had never had troubles explaining the rules.

That's what she assumed.

But in almost every sentence she said, a particular cyan hoof would be raised from among the ponies and asked questions. She wasn't the only one who did it. The cyan hoof was then followed by a pink one and the discussion would go on.

Luckily, the nonsense had been stopped by Twilight’s little outburst. Soon enough, everypony calmed down and went to their respective places, as all the participants went to the starting line.

This should be really exciting.

She surely hoped.

The first race had Rainbow Dash and Applejack, who stood side by side wearing their competitive smirks.

“Hey, AJ,” Rainbow Dash looked at her side. “Did you notice the strange looks Twilight and Rarity were giving?”

Applejack flicked her tail and glanced at the white unicorn, who was approaching the starting line with Fluttershy. “Yup. I can sense that they have somethin’ within their barns,” she frowned slightly.

Rainbow mimicked the gesture and scratched her hind hooves against the dirt. “But no matter what it is, I am gonna win this race!” She smirked.

The earth pony arched her brow an inch.

“Uh, we, I mean,” The pegasus pulled back slightly. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Big Macintosh and Cheerilee, smiling at each other. She cringed at the sight and turned to Applejack. “Whoa, your brother’s joining?”

“Uh huh. It took a bit of stretch to pull him out of his shell to ask Cheerilee. The Crusaders did all of it, actually,” Applejack chuckled.

Out of the blue, Rainbow Dash felt her heart leap and slowly smile. Maybe it was because of the crowd that gathered, or the sound of the horn. But looking at the farm pony beside her somehow made her weak. Or strong. Or smile more. Or be awesome. Or-

“Racers ready?”

Dash shook herself out of her daze. She composed herself and glared at the race track. She couldn't be distracted. Not now. She needed to prove to her partner that they could outstand all the other racers and win. Besides, she had already cleared her schedule for the tour in Cloudsdale, which, was for the celebration of her inevitable victory. Nothing more.

Partner. She liked the sound of it.

“Good luck, Rares an’ Fluttershy,” Rainbow saw AJ winked at their friends.

“Good luck to you, too, dears,” Rarity smiled. Beside her, the timid pegasus smiled as well, and to Dash’s suprise, she seemed to be quite confident.

“Well, you must prepare yourselves ‘cause we're gonna win thing, right Applejack?” She elbowed the farm mare.

Applejack snorted and wrinkled her nose. “If you say so.”

Dash frowned. “Hey. You should know better than that.”

“Yeah, but this is all for fun, alright. Don't get yourself too fired up,” Applejack poked the pegasus’ forehead once.

Rainbow Dash turned away and scoffed. “Whatever,”she muttered.

“Ponies, prepare your hooves!”

Fillies went around the racers and tied a pink ribbon around all the unicorns and pegasi participants and that included Rainbow.

The orange filly, Scootaloo, was the one who tied the ribbon for Rainbow Dash. The mare couldn't stop herself from asking.

“Hey, Scoots. What is this for?”

Scootaloo raised her head and fluttered her tiny wings, creating the sound of buzzing bees. “It is a magical tool, but I am not sure what it does.”

Dash frowned. “Oh. Right.”

“Scootaloo, weren't you listening?” Sweetie Belle’s voice squeaked. “It gives inability to unicorns to use their magic and-”

“And pegasi use their wings, yeah right,” Scootaloo grumbled, as she rolled her eyes in annoyance.

“In this way, it'll be fair for Earth ponies, who ain't have no wings or horns,” Apple Bloom popped from behind and wrapped her forehooves around her sister's left hind leg. Applejack was quite surprised as she turned her head back and patted the filly’s mane.

“Why now, Apple Bloom?” Ain't y’all proud of your kind?” Applejack asked, slightly tilting her head.

“Huh?” Apple Bloom leaned back, still hugging her sister's leg. “I am proud!” She pouted.

The farm mare rolled her eyes upward, then down to Apple Bloom. “That's good ‘ta hear from a lil’ filly who always straps herself onto a freaky zipline,” Applejack teased her little sister and turned away from her.

“Aww!” Apple Bloom stomped her hind legs and unwrapped herself from AJ. “It's one o’ them Crusades!” She whined, which earned a chuckle from the elder mare.

Sweetie Belle’s face struck with jealously, as she watched the Apple sisters. She turned to face her sister and formulated a plan. “Rarity, make me whine!”

Rarity looked down and stared at Sweetie with a raised brow. “What ever do you mean, darling?”

“Aww!” Sweetie shrieked and made Rarity cringe and fold her ears. “Yay! You're the best sister, Rarity!” She hugged her sister's hooves. The elder unicorn just shrugged and returned the hug.

Scootaloo creased her brows and turned away. “Hmph! I don't need a childish whine to show that Rainbow Dash is the best sister!” She looked at the cyan pegasus. “Right, Dash?”

Rainbow sucked her lips and wore her best caring expression. “You want a hug, too, Scoot?”

At first, Scootaloo was uncertain. But when she noticed that Dash was shifting a bit to give room for her. She slowly smiled, until it grew into a beam. Rainbow Dash pulled the little pegasus into a warm embrace, which she gladly accepted.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack looked at each other, wearing a half of a smile.

With another blow of the horn, the fillies departed from the starting line and went to the audience corner, ready to cheer for the ponies they wanted to win. In the table of the judges, where Mayor Mare, Celestia and Twilight sat, the purple princess levitated a magical microphone and tapped it with a hoof, checking if it worked.

“Everypony,” Twilight Sparkle announced, as the contenders lowered themselves to the ground, in a galloping stance. “On your mark.”

Dash looked at her partner with a grin, who squinted her eyes ahead. They both kicked their forelegs, scratching the ground.

“Get set.”

The pegasus breathed out through her nostrils.

The tension hung in the air, as ponies paused their breaths; the sound of the ruffling of the leaves echoed.

GO!” Twilight flared her wings and beamed.

The racers started to gallop across the dirt path of the farm, with the two competitive ponies -Dash and AJ- taking the early lead. Both Fluttershy and Rarity were left behind the dust, coughing simultaneously. Nevertheless, the two continued to run.

Along the first turn, was the first obstacle. The pairs must cross a thin plank the size of a hoof. If they fall, they would land the mud pit and try crossing again.

Both Applejack and Rainbow Dash halted, with the latter turning around to see if anypony was near them. It turned out to be Lyra and Bonbon, who were approaching them slowly.

“Applejack, what do we do?” Dash started to flap her wings, but before she ascended an inch from the ground, an aura of magic pulled her hooves back.

“Hop on!” The farm mare lowered herself, raising her flank a bit. Rainbow resisted the heat building up to her cheeks by biting it inside.

“What?” She managed to mutter.

Applejack growled and went in between Dash’s forelegs and hindlegs, slumping the pegasus on her back. Rainbow was taken by surprise, but then wrapped her forelegs around the other pony’s neck to prevent her from falling.

“Hold on tight, Rainbow. This here plank is wobbly. Don't y’all try to tremble back there or we'll both bathe into Mrs. Babe’s mud,” Applejack adjusted her hat.

Rainbow Dash’s eyes narrowed. “Mrs. Babe? Of all the pigs you have?!” She yelled at AJ’s ears, in which the orange mare cringed at.

“Yee-haw!” Applejack sprung herself onto the plank, which shook tauntingly. She cautiously moved her left front leg, followed by her right hind leg.

“C-careful, AJ!” Dash unconsciously squeezed Applejack’s neck tighter. The earth pony stopped from moving forward, and irritably looked at the pagasus with a frown.

"Stop squeezin' for Land's sake!" Applejack hissed and continued to move forward, the wood creaking, as it shifted because of the added weight.

Rainbow spreaded her wings wide to add balance. She frowned a bit. She was a pegasus and pegasi were known for this. She must be the one crossing. “You're slow,” she said.

It never stopped the farm mare. In fact, she ignored the pegasus on her back. She almost didn't feel that she was there. Rainbow was as light as a feather.

Just a little more steps, they were approaching the end. When Dash turned her head back, she saw a cloud of smoke, which meant that the other racers were near. “Applejack, hurry!”

Applejack felt a trail of sweat trickling from her forehead, as the pressure of falling went on her. She wasn't afraid of the pit, but if they fell, they should repeat it again. She'd come so far and she must not fall the last minute.

But at the back of her mind, as evil as it sounded, she wanted to see Rainbow Dash soaked with mud. It would be ridiculous.

Yet, she followed the rational part of hers.

Applejack reached the end, where the ladder awaited. She went down, as she felt the fast beating of the pegasus’ heart behind her. She couldn't help herself to smile.

“You can go now,” Applejack said over her shoulder. She waited for at least three, seconds for Rainbow to respond and her patience wore thin. She growled and glared at nopony in particular.

“Oh! Uh,” Dash entangled her hooves from the farmer’s neck, as she went on her four hooves awkwardly. She smiled sheepishly at the frowning Earth mare. They stared at each other for a moment -with Applejack still frowning- until the Earth pony rolled her eyes and galloped.

Rainbow Dash couldn't believe she lost her cool. She's the awesomest pony out there. How could she ever act awkwardly around Applejack -who was almost as awesome as she was- when she had to be cool and radical to her friend's eyes?

How pathetic and...uncool. She needed to retrieve her poise and prove her title. She was the Iron Pony anyway.

It was time when she caught up with Applejack. She bumped her, to make her turn her head and look at Dash. Rainbow expected her to be mad, but making AJ mad, made her happy. She was clearly sadistic.

Thw two leading pair approached the second obstacle where they should enter the chicken coop and grab an egg from one of the hens there. After getting an egg, they should balance it between their noses, without letting the egg fall and break. If it breaks, they would once again enter and get another egg.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash went inside the coop and scanned for a lone egg. They both spotted one and hurriedly went to it, while the chickens made panicked noises. Applejack quickly settled them down with a stomp of a hoof.

“Rainbow, can you trot backwards?” Applejack asked hastily.

Dash turned to her and puffed her chest. “Of course. Why’d you ask?”

“I can't do it,” Applejack bit her bottom lip, as she leaned down until the tip her nose was against the egg.

Rainbow took the gesture as it meant to her to stop asking. She made a mental note to talk about it later. She craned her neck and pressed her nose against the egg

“On my signal,” Applejack raised a hoof. “One, two….three,” slowly, they lifted the egg, as they both looked at it, making their eyes crossed.

Rainbow Dash took her first step back, while Applejack did the same. “Is the ladder near?” Dash asked, as her right hind leg tapped the wooden floor.

Applejack’s eyes rolled downwards as she muttered, “Mm-hmm…”

The pair went out of the coop, as Rainbow was guided by AJ’s words. Once, the egg almost slipped from their hold, but Dash saved it using her tongue. Applejack almost did the same, but somehow, a force within her stopped her. As if she expected that Rainbow would save the egg. She was right about it, anyway.

They carefully laid the egg on the nest ahead, as they once again shared a look, that neither of them expected.

Without any more interruptions, they galloped ahead, as the other racers approached the chicken coop. Rarity and Fluttershy were nowhere to be seen. Dash just accepted the fact that perhaps Rarity was too afraid of the mud and Fluttershy was too scared to go on. She was just glad that Applejack was her partner. She could not stand those kinds of drama.

They reached the final trial; it was the thing Twilight called as “Blind Bind.” Rainbow found the name pathetic and laughable. The princess might never found any other word that rhymed and was relevant.

The third and last obstacle contained a mask, that would cover the eyes. It would be worn by one from a pair, while they gallop to the finish. The other one without blindfold would guide the “blind” across the barrels and jumping over the mud pit. They must cross the finish line together.

Applejack inhaled air. “Rainbow, do you trust me?” She asked rather sternly.

Dash rolled her eyes and grabbed the blindfold. “Meh. That leaves me no choice,” she put on the mask like a pair of goggles, “Alright, boss. I'm all set!” She grinned.

Applejack grabbed Dash’s hoof and led her in front of the scattered barrels. To her shock, Lyra and Bonbon were already preparing to tackle the last obstacle. Added to her horror were her brother and Cheerilee. She couldn't help herself but to gasp, which took her partner in the same surprise.

“What? What happened?”

“Listen to me, and me alone, ‘ya hear that? Somepony’s catchin’ up an’ y’all better gallop ‘n’ go,” Applejack nudged Dash on the flank to push her onto the course.

“Do I have a chance?” If Rainbow wasn't blindfolded, she must have rolled her eyes.

The farm mare squinted her eyes and counted the barrels. “There are three on your left and two on your right. At the end is another mud pit. Jump over it an’ you're all done. Got it?” She glanced behind and saw the blindfolded Bonbon and Big Mac, with their guides, Lyra and Cheerilee. From afar, were Fluttershy and Rarity, who were, surprisingly, galloping in a notable pace. Applejack panicked in her mind, as she felt the sweat covering her fur.

“Yes, ma’am. Three on the left, two on the right and mud pit,” Rainbow sprinted, leaving a significant rainbow trail. She dodged the barrels effortlessly, wearing her smirk. On the other hoof, Applejack jumped over the hurdles and galloped toward the other side of the pit and waited for Rainbow Dash.

At Dash’s tail, were Bonbon and Big Mac, who were slowly catching up. But the pegasus wouldn't let them. She reached the pit first, but then stopped. She didn't know how high or large would she jump. She hesitantly took a step, as her hoof had contact with the mud. She withdrew it immediately and cautiously moved back.

“Applejack?” She called.

“I'm just on the other side, Dash. Now listen. Do you remember Barkley?” Applejack said.

Rainbow Dash flicked her tail. “Your sappy tree that overviews the Cloudominium? Yeah. I wouldn't forget him.” She smiled a bit. He's my favorite tree,” she whispered.

The orange pony nodded once and cracked a smile. “Barkley’s trunk is as long as where I am right now. Can ya’ jump that far?”

The pegasus’ ears flicked as she tapped a hoof on the ground. When she had the hoof in the computation, she took two steps backwards and leaned for a jump. “Here I go!”

Applejack stepped back, as Rainbow Dash successfully landed in front of her. She lost her balance for a while, but the earth pony quickly caught her.

“Hoo-wee! Rainbow! You did it!” AJ waved her hat and raised her forelegs in the air.

“So, let's run?” Rainbow asked, her head facing the opposite direction.

Applejack giggled and wrapped a leg around her friend's neck. “Yup. Jus’ stay close to me, ya’ hear?”

Rainbow scoffed. “Yeah, of course,” being temporarily blind, she felt vulnerable and helpless. It was like, she was caged with darkness. She was not afraid. But she definitely needed help.

“Can I, ya’ know,” she bit her lip. The earth pony turned to her expectantly. “...put my wing on you?”

“Anytime, partner,” Applejack elbowed the pegasus, as Rainbow flapped her wings excitedly.

When they were both set -with Dash’s right wing wrapped around Applejack’s torso- they galloped side by side. Rainbow held the earth pony firmly, as if her life depended on her. This time, she couldn't see. She only relied to Applejack, as if she was her guiding light. She knew she could trust her. She was her best-est best friend.

Rainbow felt that Applejack increased her speed. If she were to confess, the farmer was really fast. Her legs couldn't keep up.

After a few seconds, Dash could hear hoof stomps. At least now she knew why they needed to rush. Aside from the hoof stomps, both hers and Applejack’s breathing went wild. They could feel each other's heartbeats.

“Jus’...a lil’ more,” The farmer gasped for air, as she continously paced toward the striped ribbon, marked as the finish line.

Dash felt that Applejack went slower, until they both skidded into a stop. It was then followed by the booming cheer of the crowd.

Rainbow’s heart leapt, as she hastily pulled off the blindfold. “AJ! Did we win?!” She placed both of her hooves on Applejack’s shoulders.

Applejack turned to her, as she smiled softly. “Yeah.”

Rainbow Dash jumped in glee, as she wrapped the farmer in a bone-crushing hug. “Yes! We did it! Whoo-hoo!”

“Ooof! Y-eah, Dash,” Applejack was squeezed by the extremly happy pegasus. “Are ya ready to claim the victory?”
~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Congratulations, to both Miss Applejack and Rainbow Dash, for winning this year's first Hearth’s and Hooves Day, couple race!” Mayor Mare announced to the crowd, as the winners waved their hooves sheepishly.

Princess Celestia stepped forward. “You two deserved to win. Not only that you galloped with perfect teamwork, but you both showed invaluable trust and loyalty to each other,” she levitated two medals, the shape of two broken hearts. She put the medals around Applejack’s and Rainbow’s necks, as the two bowed down. Celestia smiled softly at them. She stepped back, as she gave room for Twilight, whose face was painted with joy.

“Now that you two won the race, you will receive a ticket for a nice vacation on a cruise ship!” Her wings flared, as she levitated two golden tickets.

The crowd bursted into applause and whistles, as some muttered to each other.

Both Rainbow Dash and Applejack raised their brows in confusion. They both tilted their heads at Twilight.

“Wait.” Rainbow silenced the crowd. Twilight turned to her with a smile.

“What's a cruise ship?” Applejack and Rainbow Dash asked the silliest question the whole Equestria had ever heard.

Author's Note:

I don't know if I can make it to the contest. :applecry: If I don't...... :fluttercry::raritycry: