• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 1,601 Views, 32 Comments

Krizak's Compendium of Concise Chronicles - Krizak



A collection of Krizak's categorically concise contributions to the cosmos.

  • ...
2
 32
 1,601

PreviousChapters Next
Aww, Nuts - Drama

Applejack opened her eyes.

The first thing she saw was her parents standing there, looking down at her with smiles tinged with sadness.

The first thing she said was, “Aww, nuts.”

Her father chuckled despite himself. “That’s exactly what Ah said, all them years ago! Nice to see this Apple hasn’t fallen too far from the tree.” Applejack had grown up significantly since the last time she had seen her father, but the reddish-brown stallion still towered over her as much as she remembered; Apple Tree was the source of Big Macintosh’s size and strength, after all.

There was something different about him, though, and it took Applejack a moment to place it: his signature hat wasn’t perched on his head, likely because it was on her own.
“Ah’m dead, ain’t Ah?” Applejack asked, already knowing the answer. How else would she be seeing her parents?

“I’m afraid so, darling,” her mother asked, her drawl taking on a touch of that Manehattan accent that she had never quite shaken, even years after the mare named Golden Orange had left the big city and its high society behind to be with the love of her life. “I always told you that there were problems you just couldn’t solve by bucking, and a lightning elemental is certainly one of ‘em.”

Applejack shook her head. “It was after Twi. Ah couldn’t just stand back and do nothin’.” She glanced over her shoulder, only to see more of the great white expanse behind her, and she sighed. “Sure hope she stopped that thing.” Turning back to her parents, she had tears in her eyes as the gravity of the situation hit her. “Ah’m sorry, ah should be grateful to see you again, and Ah am, but… but me and Twi, we…”

Her mother stepped forward and nuzzled her filly, Applejack taking comfort tinged with nostalgia from the old gesture. “Oh, Applejack, that’s exactly how we all feel when we get here,” Golden said, stepping back and bringing a hoof up to wipe away her daughter’s tears. “Being attached to those in your life is what is really important.”

“Darn straight!” Apple Tree joined his family and playfully adjusted Applejack’s hat. “Hat looks good on you, by the way. And you should know, AJ, that once you been here a while, you come to be able to sense certain things. So I’ve got a feelin’ things are gonna turn out alright.”

“But Pa, how–” Applejack was interrupted as the worst pain she had felt in her life wracked her body, like every single one of her nerves had been set on fire. She would have fallen to the ground if not for her dad’s strong grip. “–what… what was that?” she gasped as the sensation ended.

“That, AJ, is the work of one Twilight Marigold Sparkle.” He smiled broadly at his daughter, even as his tears began to fall. “Ah’m mighty proud of you, Applejack, fer everything you did after we were gone, takin’ care of my Ma and yer siblings, helpin’ Sweet Apple Acres thrive, makin’ so many good friends, and especially yer marefriend, who happens to know some mighty powerful reses– er, resoos–”

“Resuscitation, dear.” Golden helped her husband along, before giving Applejack an almost smothering embrace. “Now, Jackie, I want you to be careful from now on. I don’t want to see you up here until you can tell me all about my great-great-grandchildren, you hear?” She kissed Applejack on her forehead, just like used to when she tucked her at night.

“Ah promise, Ma,” Applejack replied with a nod. “Ah guess this is good–” The excruciating pain returned, and with it, Applejack’s parents faded away.

Applejack opened her eyes.

Every muscle in her body was begging her to stay down, but despite their protests, Applejack propped herself up and kissed the weeping unicorn leaning over her.

Author's Note:

This story was for Prompt #55: "Three Bushels of Apples." The prompt was for an Apple family reunion... long before the episode named as such, of course. This is one of the stories I've written for TMPS that has influenced my own headcanon; I truly believe Applejack's mother is a city mare who came out to the country. The name was an especially great find; Golden Orange connects well with the Orange family, but at the same time, it's a cultivar of apple.

PreviousChapters Next