• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 1,607 Views, 32 Comments

Krizak's Compendium of Concise Chronicles - Krizak



A collection of Krizak's categorically concise contributions to the cosmos.

  • ...
2
 32
 1,607

PreviousChapters Next
The Stars - Drama

“What do you mean, ‘the stars aren’t your domain’?” Twilight asked in an exasperated tone, the sort of tone she reserved for those moments when her entire worldview was irrevocably shattered. Like it had been just now.

“The meaning should be clear, Twilight Sparkle,” Luna replied with a patient sigh, idly trotting over to one of the powerful telescopes she employed here in her Royal Planetarium. “Though I can enhance the features of the night sky as seen within our land — brightening some stars, dimming others until they cannot be seen by the naked eye — the stars themselves are beyond my reach.”

“But-but-but…” It was a rare moment for Twilight to become so confused that she couldn’t form a coherent sentence. She shook her head in an attempt to get her thought processes moving again, and the words she finally managed to get out were, “But that’s not what Princess Celestia taught me at all!”

Luna smiled rather cryptically at her as she used her magic to adjust the telescope nearest her. “My dear sister does not know the night sky as I do, not all of its intricacies and nuances.”

“But she controlled it for a thousand years!”

As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Twilight regretted them. It was as though an arctic breeze had blown through the planetarium; the room was so cold, so suddenly, and the scholarly unicorn didn’t know if it was actually that chilly or simply her mind interpreting the feelings coming off of the Princess in a manner it could understand. “Princess Luna, I’m sorry, I—”

“Do you understand every aspect of magic, Twilight Sparkle? Every nuance? Every theorem?” Luna’s voice betrayed none of the anguish her body was expressing.

Twilight blinked at the random question. “N-no, I’m just a graduate student! I still haven’t even touched a fraction of what is out there, and—”

“Yet you still practice magic every day, do you not?” Luna interrupted with another question.

“Well, yes, but I—”

“It was much the same for my sister, Twilight Sparkle.” Luna’s horn stopped glowing and she began to take measured steps towards Twilight. “She knew how to alter the night sky, and she fully understood that which does fall under my domain — the moon, the auroras, the assorted comets and meteor showers — but she didn’t know the truth of the stars.” Having come within reach of Twilight, Luna stopped and closed her eyes. “Because I did not tell her. One of the many truths I kept from her in my jealousy.”

Twilight just looked on in awe at the regal figure standing above her, trying desperately not to cry. Hesitantly, Twilight reached out and placed a reassuring hoof on the princess’ diadem. At the touch, Luna opened her eyes and smiled softly at the unicorn before her.

“Instead of arguing with me about what you believe the stars to be, Twilight Sparkle, allow me to show you what they truly are.”

“Yes, Princess Luna,” Twilight said with a deep and apologetic bow. “I’m sorry for doubting you.”

Luna smirked at that, making Twilight blink at the gesture. “You should save your apology, as I believe you shall be doubting me again before the night is over.”

Twilight shook her head in denial. “No, no, I swear, I won’t doubt anything you say again, Princess—”

“The stars are each a sun unto themselves, like that which my sister commands.”

At a loss for words once again, Twilight struggled to process what she had just learned. After nearly thirty seconds, she finally came up with the only reasonable response.

“You have got to be joking.”

Author's Note:

This story was for Prompt #36: "Theme Week, Day Five." This prompt was from William Shakespeare's Hamlet: "There are more things in heaven and earth … than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Shall I reveal myself an uncultured fool by stating that this, too, is a source I am unfamiliar with? I believe I shall.

PreviousChapters Next