• Published 21st Jan 2016
  • 1,420 Views, 23 Comments

Disguise In Hearts - The REAL Mister Pkmn



A Changeling in disguise tries to ease the fears that arose after Cadence's wedding.

  • ...
1
 23
 1,420

Protect Ponyville

Things had been going surprisingly well for Swarm, or as he was called when disguised, Time Turner. He’d come to Ponyville a few years before the wedding invasion fiasco, and by the Emperor’s blessings, he’d managed to set up a clock shop and garner a friendship with a local mare named Roseluck. Sure, he still fed on the love of the ponies of the town like any changeling would, but he managed to be careful as to how much he drained from their systems. However, stress was rather high, and mistrust was spreading. Ponies feared another attack from the changelings was imminent, despite Emperor Carapace’s promises that Queen Chrysalis was a rogue element within the Empire. Fear was building, and such was bad news for Swarm. If let to grow, the fear would soon overrule the love, and he would start to starve. After all, changelings only fed on love. However, Swarm had a plan in action already. Now, he knew that a lone changeling could never possibly alleviate the fears of the ponies. He knew that if he were to reveal himself that they would chase him out of town without a second thought. He then thought to himself, That’s why I persuaded Roseluck to do me a favor. I have also managed to ease the tensions around town some. The love is flourishing once more, just as I anticipated. Swarm knew that this was selfish of him, but if he didn’t do something then he’d likely perish from starvation. Perhaps if I’m lucky, Twilight Sparkle and her friends will be willing to help me out as well. He then nodded. He was going to do this. He was going to find a way to get the ponies of Ponyville to stop fearing. It was a monumental task, but he was up to it! Now all he had to do was gather his helpers.


The work had been going smoothly so far, and the populace of Ponyville had started to really calm down and open up again. Sure, there was still a lingering air of fear throughout the town, but that was to be expected this early in the venture. Swarm had kept a low profile so far, even with Roseluck and Twilight helping him out. Though, he would admit that it was getting a bit… hazardous… for him to continue. After all, if he was reading her emotions right, which he probably was, Roseluck had started to garner romantic feelings for him. He felt absolutely horrible about what he’d have to do, but he knew it would be better for Roseluck in the end if he just let her down gently. But, for some reason, he didn’t want to. Perhaps it was the fact the the love directed towards him felt absolutely addictive. Or, perchance, it could be something else entirely. Perhaps he cared enough for her as to not want to hurt her in that way. But, no matter what the reason was, he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. He sighed to himself. Oh, what a tangled web I’ve woven. How am I supposed to get myself out of this one?


A few days passed, and Swarm could almost believe that things in Ponyville were starting to calm down to a point where the town’s fear was pretty much non-existent. Swarm sighed. I’d never thought I’d make it this far. He looked over to see Roseluck coming to the shop. Her feelings towards him were strong as ever, seeing as he hadn’t had the heart to turn down her request to be a couple. Also, this strange warmth in his heart prevented him from even thinking of doing so. It was always warmer when Roseluck was around, but when she was away everything seemed a tad bit colder. Perhaps I’m starting to reciprocate her feelings. That’d certainly be interesting. The rumor of changelings being heartless was entirely bogus, after all. However, he couldn’t dwell on that. After all, rumors had started to spread yet again. He knew that these rumors had some meat to them, however, because he could smell a fellow changeling coming to the town. Judging from the smell, it would be a few days before this changeling arrived in Ponyville. However, something about the scent seemed oddly... familiar. Swarm knew very few changelings personally, and he thought that all of them were back home within the Empire. However, he couldn’t shake the feeling that he knew this changeling rather… personally. Swarm had to make sure that Ponyville was prepared to deal with this changeling should things get… nasty.


A few days had past, and Swarm had prepared as best he could for the arrival of the changeling. This changeling that was coming to town was alone, but Swarm couldn’t figure out why this changeling was coming to Ponyville. He was knocked out of his musings by the sound of music coming from the edge of town. He traveled to the edge of town to see an absurdly large crowd gathered, and Roseluck as well as Twilight and her friends were there. The music was coming from a travelling wagon of sorts, which was being pulled by a dark teal unicorn stallion. Swarm sniffed. That’s the changeling! But why does he seem so familiar? Swarm shook his head, and paid closer attention to his fellow disguised changeling. He’d given himself a reddish brown mane that had a single turquoise streak down the center. His tail sported all seven colors of the rainbow, and his eyes were blue-green. He’d also given himself a peculiar cutie mark: a turquoise music note superimposed over a paintbrush in an X shaped pattern, and the brush had the seven colors of the rainbow curved under it in a leftward arc. He wore blue glasses, a royal blue vest, and a platinum locket around his neck that was engraved with his cutie mark. Gotta give this guy credit, Swarm mused, not many changelings go this overboard with their disguise. Then, the stallion stopped at the edge of town, and cleared his throat. Is he going to sing? If so, that’s a very effective way to gather love. Then, the changeling started to sing, just as Swarm predicted.

“They call me Maestro Spe~ec~trum, Though it’s not my real name!

They don’t know where I’m fro~om, E’en wit my sky-rocketin’ fame!

I’ve traveled endlessly for miles, So why don’t cha come on down,

I’m only here t’ make ya smile, I promise not ta make ya frown,

So come on into my Em~por~ium, Come in to see my art,

Come and experience Eu~phor~ium, It’ll steal your heart!

I’ve got…

Paintings, Statues, Pottery,

My art’ll…

Last you for eh~ter~ni~ty!

I’ve got…

Songsheets, Playwrights, so much to see,

Trust me now with my absolute guar~an~tee!”

Ponies in the crowd murmured a bit, but that didn’t slow him down.

“You seem skeptical of my words, which I can understand,

So let me prove them to you now, to spread word ‘cross the land!

My art can survive…”

With each of the next few lines, he actually performed destructive acts on his artwork, with aid from the magic of his horn.

“Burning heat it can defeat,

Crushing weight it can abate,

Weather doesn’t lift it by a feather,

Time’s cruel hand it can withstand,

In brutal cold it does not fold,

In nature’s hive it will survive!”

The artworks survived all of the tests, and now the crowd was enraptured by his performance.

“It don’t matter what ya are, I won’t turn ya away,

So why don’t cha c’mon down, toooo~daaaay!

Now you can see, I’m honest as can be,

I’m loyal to a fault, the danger I’ll halt,

I’m kind to all I see, an’ generous as can be,

I buoy ya wit my laughter, good natured ever after,

An’ when you’re at the end of your rope,

I’ll shine bright with the light of hope!

So come on down!”

The crowd was cheering. “Maestro! Maestro! Maestro!” Even Twilight & co. were shouting at the top of their lungs. The changeling was drinking up the attention, and was grinning like a fool.

He then bowed with a flourish. “Thank you, Ponyville! You’re a wonderful audience!” His eyes gleamed with satisfaction, drinking in all of the adoration of the crowd.

Swarm saw that the ponies of Ponyville were starting to wane, and decided to act. “Imposter!” The crowd gasped, looking towards Swarm as he pointed a hoof towards the other changeling. “He’s a changeling!” The crowd started to murmur at that, but the other changeling just smirked at that.

“Oh? Such accusations!” The changeling grinned. “And what proof do you have of this, hmm?”

Swarm then yelled, “THIS!” He tossed a single jar of liquid at the changeling. It burst, and the changeling howled in pain as he was engulfed in green flames. The ponies of the crowd gasped and backed up. The fire cleared, and in the place of the dark teal stallion was a changeling stallion with sleek black chitin, fierce blue eyes, red mane and tail, and a stripe of blue on his back. Swarm’s eyes widened. Is that Catydid? I thought that he was still incarcerated!

He snarled. “Oh, phooey. How dare you ruin my fun.” His pupils dilated a bit as his horn lit with green magic. He pulled out from the travelling wagon a stallion that looked exactly like the changeling had before his disguise had falled. The poor guy was bound with cords, had a gag in his mouth, and had a magic suppressor on his horn. “Here, I’ve no need for this guy anymore. Keep ‘im.” With a flick of his horn he tossed the stallion to the crowd. He then started to fly away, but before he left, he called back. “Oh, and one more thing.” He then turned in midair, and looked across the crowd. “Swarm? I know that you’ve hidden yourself in this town. Let me tell ya, it won’t last much longer. Best jet on back to the Changeling Empire while you have the chance. See ya.” He then flew off into the sky.

Swarm’s eyes widened as the ponies murmured to themselves. It was over. He was through. All his effort to create Time Turner was for naught. They’d find him, and accuse him of atrocious things. And, worst of all, Roseluck would hate him. It was all over now. Swarm looked down dejectedly as he walked away, ignoring Roseluck’s pleas. His heart ached, but he never looked back.

Author's Note:

My first one-shot! I'm cruel, aren't I? But hey, I interpreteted the prompt my way. Credit for the story idea goes to LoyaltoRainbowDash. If you like/dislike/fave the story, I'd appreciate some feedback. Constructive criticism is encouraged. Thanks go to Just A Random Pegasus for editing. I hope you all have a good day!