• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 4,654 Views, 25 Comments

Facing the Future - Zephyr Spark



After experiencing a nightmare where he grows up and destroys Ponyville and Twilight, Spike decides to go as far away from Ponyville as possible. Now it's up to Princess Luna to visit his dreams and convince him to turn around.

  • ...
6
 25
 4,654

Part 8 The Final Lesson

Spike awoke in the shapeless darkness once again. Before he could consider his actions, he felt a familiar presence approach. Princess Luna, not Nightmare Moon, came into sight, stricken with anxiety.

“Spike! I’m so sorry!” she cried, guilty tears staining her face, “I had planned to bring you home as soon as possible. I had no idea Nightmare Moon’s powers would interfere with my magic and leave you trapped in the future.”

Spike looked at her with a mixture of fear, pity and anger. He had just seen her at her most powerful, filled with grief. He was still trying to forget the sight. On the other hand, she had meant well. She had no intention to abandon him in that nightmarish future. On the final hand, she had left him there and he was sick even remembering that world. Eventually, pity won out.

“I’m just glad to be home,” Spike said, putting on his best smile. His body no longer ached and his spirit was at ease. He was dreaming once again. He looked down at his body and saw he was a dragon once again, “and what you showed me was necessary. I don’t think anything else would have convinced me.”

“I sent you into the future and changed you into a pony,” Luna continued with regret, “and you can forgive me this easily?”

Spike moved forward and took the alicorn’s hoof into his clawed hand, he slowly spoke, “After my friends forgave me for leaving them and breaking their hearts, after Twilight of the future welcomed me as her friend even after I destroyed all of her friends, I think I can forgive you.”

Luna smiled weakly and embraced the little dragon.

“Luna?” Spike broke from the hug and stared at the dark blue alicorn, “Why were you so determined to help me?”

Luna’s face changed to one of regret. “Do you know why I originally became Nightmare Moon?”

“Because you were jealous of Celestia.” Spike responded, “every pony loved her day but paid no attention to your night.”

“There is another reason,” Luna walked away and Spike instinctively followed. “Indeed, I was stricken with jealousy. I began to despise my sister and her day. In my jealousy, I assumed I had no pony to confide with, no pony to love me. I believed I had no one. Spike.” She stopped and turned to the little dragon. “Don’t make my mistake. Don’t think you have to suffer alone. Perhaps the burden is yours, but friends will always lighten your load if you only ask.”

She turned forward and glanced into the distance, “I suppose to answer your question, I didn’t want to see you become a Nightmare Moon. I didn’t want to see you suffer.”

Spike turned his gaze into the distance, trying to see what Luna gazed at, when she spoke once again, “before you wake up, there’s a certain pony who would like to tell you something.”

Spike saw a figure approach through the darkness. He instantly recognized the rainbow mane and tall white figure.

“Princess Celestia,” he fell to his knee and bowed.

The princess chuckled at Spike’s humility, “Come now, Spike. I have something to tell you.”

Spike rose to his feet and followed the princess as she walked away. They passed through a bluish hallway with memories of his friends flashing across the room. Spike was feeling a sense of déjà vu.

“Are you about to turn me into an alicorn?” Spike half joked. He honestly wouldn't have minded becoming an alicorn if it meant he could have wings.

“Oh nothing of the sort,” she laughed. “But I do have to talk about your future.”

Spike’s gaze fell down, “you mean how I could become a monster?”

“No,” she said resolutely, “I meant your destiny.”

Spike’s eyes rose to the princess’ face. She smiled and continued walking. Spike followed.

“Do you know the hardest part about being an alicorn?” Celestia asked as she came to a stop before several memories surrounded them in a circle, “Watching countless ponies come into my life and my heart, only to see them pass when their time comes.”

The memories changed to several ponies Spike had never seen. Each one flickered a few moments before a new pony took their place.

“The only two things that kept me from mourning the rest of my life over them, was knowing that for every pony I lost, a new one would take their place, and my one constant companion, my sister, Luna.”

The images flashed to Princess Luna and Princess Celestia as fillies. They were playing together, learning together, and loving each other’s company.

"The hardest time of my life," Celestia's eyes grew moist, "was when I had to banish her to the moon for a thousand years."

“What does this have to do with me?” Spike asked curiously.

“Everything,” Celestia insisted, “dragons are the only creatures who can live nearly as long as an alicorn.”

Spike nodded although he was still uncertain what this all meant about his destiny.

“I didn’t make Twilight’s entrance exam to magic school hatching a dragon without a reason.” Celestia continued, “I had hoped that if she succeeded, she might form a magical bond with that dragon, one that would endure when all other friends have faded.”

The memories changed once more to Twilight and Spike, flashing all their adventures and time together. Spike smiled at the sight as he fondly recalled every memory. He could only ask one question, “Did you know she would become an alicorn?”

Celestia smiled, “I had suspected she would be the perfect candidate. That’s why I let her keep you.” She turned before him and spoke with authority, “Spike the dragon.”

He stood at attention, keenly listening to the princess.

“I, Princess Celestia, entrust you with this task. You shall remain at Twilight Sparkle’s side as her friend, assistant, brother, and son for all eternity. When all the friends she has known pass on, you shall stay with her and be her constant companion until the end of time. This is your destiny. Will you accept this duty?”

“Nothing would make me happier,” Spike answered without hesitation.

“Good,” Celestia smiled with content, “now I suggest you wake up before the train leaves.”

***

Spike jolted out of the seat as the train whistled and began leaving the station. He grabbed his bag and opened the window. Before he could think twice, he jumped out the window onto the grassy plateau beside Yaket Range. The train chugged along to Griffonstone Station without him.

Without pausing, Spike ran to the train station. Ponies stared at his frantic nature. It wasn’t everyday they saw a baby dragon jump from a departing train. He raced to the ticket booth and panted, “I need a ticket on the next train back to Ponyville, stat!”

The ticket vendor regarded him for a moment, unsure what to make of the dragon. Spike dug around his knapsack for bits, gems, anything he could use to pay. He placed three bits on the counter and a small, yellow gem as an afterthought.

“Sorry,” the vendor said, “we don’t accept gems and this isn’t nearly enough for a trip all the way back to Ponyville.”

“Please!” Spike begged. “My friends are back in Ponyville worrying about where I am! I need to go home and set things right!”

The vendor blinked at the little dragon’s passionate outburst. He looked at the other ponies staring at the scene with interest and was very concerned about how they might judge him should he refuse the little dragon. Slowly, he took the gem and the bits and looked up an itinerary. “Even with the gem, I’m afraid you simply don’t have enough for a one way trip to Ponyville.”

Spike frowned in thought. Then he remembered that he was not alone.

“What about to the Crystal Empire?”

***

Cadence sat on her throne, running the empire as best she could without her husband. She could not focus on her efforts when she knew Twilight was unhappy. She had babysat the princess when she was a filly, and she remembered how Twilight was always so fond of little Spike. Without him, Twilight looked incomplete. She sighed as a crystal guard entered the chambers and bowed.

“Princess Cadence,” he said raising his head, “you remember how you put the city on alert for any signs of Spike the dragon?”

She rose from her throne intrigued and hopeful, “did you hear any rumors about his location?”

“Well, not exactly,” the guard responded, and Cadence sank back into her throne. “It’s just that, well, there’s a purple and green dragon, matching his description, outside your palace right now. He was trying to get into the castle when we stopped him. He’s been asking if you could bring him home as soon as possible.”

Cadence rose from her seat with excitement, “send him in right away. Cancel all my meetings for today, and tell the council I’m taking a little trip.”

“Yes, milady,” the guard bowed his head once more, and quickly departed.

***

Twilight arose from another sleepless night. She trudged through the colorless hallways to the Cutie Mark Map, too miserable to work. She stared at the map of Equestria, wondering where Spike would be at this point. She just hoped wherever he was, he would never forget her and all the adventures they shared, and whatever happened, he found a place to call his own. The little dragon deserved that much.

He told all of them to go about their lives without him. They all truly tried to, but nothing was the same. Ponyville had largely stopped searching when they heard that he did not want to be found, but they were particularly unhappy at leaving their dragon friend alone. Her friends were particularly unhappy. Rainbow Dash had not flown since Spike left, Applejack had not bucked a single tree, Pinkie Pie could no longer throw parties with her usual enthusiasm, Fluttershy never left her cottage since they last saw Spike in the dream, and Rarity and Twilight stopped doing anything after the dream. How could they go on without him? He was their lives. He was an undeniably essential part of their lives. Now, they could only live half-lives.

Twilight’s brooding was interrupted when she heard hooves clatter against her floor. Then she heard a familiar pattering of feet accompanied by a voice she had long missed, “Twilight! I’m home!”

She turned around, praying her ears were not deceiving her. Suddenly, she was tackled to the ground in a warm hug from a familiar purple dragon. She embraced him, swearing she would never let him go. The dragon cried into her shoulder.

“Twilight! I’m so sorry I left you,” Spike squeezed her even tighter. “I’m sorry I’ve made every pony miserable! Please take me back! I swear I’ll never leave you again! I love you!”

“Oh Spike,” she cried her own tears of joy, “I love you too. And I swear that I’ll never let your nightmares frighten you again. I’ve missed you so much.”

All the while, Cadence stared at the two wistfully. She was brought back to a time where the two were little children, hugging and playing, sharing a beautiful bond. The two hugged and cried some more, their purple bodies wrapped tightly together, before Shining Armor came down from the stairs to see what all the commotion was about. He saw Cadence and was perplexed. Wasn’t she supposed to be in the Crystal Empire? She made a gesture and his eyes followed the movement to see Twilight holding Spike. In a second, he rushed over to the pair and joined the hug, relieved to know this inseparable duo was together once more. Well, now it was the inseparable trio.

They ran through out Ponyville with Spike to all of their friends. Each of them greeted Spike with similar affection, holding the little dragon tightly as he swore he would never leave again. Soon, all of Ponyville knew Spike had returned and embraced him, welcoming him back as a long lost son. Pinkie Pie threw the biggest party the town had ever seen, Applejack bucked apple trees with a weight off her mind, Rainbow Dash soared through the clouds with glee, and Fluttershy left her cottage for the first time in days to hold Spike and gently kiss his cheek. He found Owlicious looking cross at him but he apologized to the owl and was quickly forgiven. Even Discord gave Spike a hearty welcome home.

Night fell and the party ended. Spike was ready to return home when a certain unicorn stopped him and took him somewhere private. There she embraced Spike with a love that went beyond simply affectionate. He embraced her in turn, smiling just to see her. She stopped speaking her feelings of desperately missing him and just stared into his eyes with an expression that sent pleasant shivers down his spine. Then Rarity bent down and kissed him on the lips. It was beyond heavenly, beyond words. When he finally shook out of his petrifying amazement, he found himself kissing her back with his own fiery passion. Both of them left that night feeling light-headed and happier than they had felt in days.

He entered the castle with his protector and eternal friend and made his way to his room, until he was levitated into the air and brought to a familiar place. Twilight insisted she needed to hold Spike at least for tonight and frankly, he saw no reason to argue. He rested in the hooves of his greatest friend, as she nuzzled her face against his, her deep breaths rocking Spike to sleep.

He returned to the familiar darkness of his dreams, but this time, the darkness was not terrifying, but merely present. He turned and saw the princess of the night approach him with a smile. She turned to walk away, but Spike intercepted her.

“Princess Luna, what you said before,” he stood in front of her, “it’s true for you too. Please don’t forget that you have friends just like me, and we would do anything to help you.”

Princess Luna and Spike shared one final embrace of gratitude and understanding. They understood the nightmares both of them faced and they knew now that neither of them had to face their fears alone. Spike fell asleep in Twilight’s embrace, where he knew he would always belong. He no longer feared the future, nor faced the future uncertainly; now he happily embraced it.

Comments ( 19 )

6832580 Thank you very much :twilightsmile:

This is a nicely written story, but there's a glaring plot hole:

During the search, did no one think to check the train station or ask any of its workers? If they went to the station, they could've easily found out that Spike was heading to Griffonstone and have someone intercept him at one of the stops. Similarly, since the conductor was also on the train, someone could've brought Spike up when the train made its many stops.

Given how thorough the search was, it seems odd that they never bothered checking the train station.

7069183 Trust me, I know this story has glaring plot holes. Why did nobody think to check the train? Why didn't Nightmare Moon remember sending Spike to the future as Luna? I didn't think everything through before I wrote this, and it kind of shows. Nonetheless, I still loved writing this piece for all the emotional turmoils and growths the characters go through, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it too. :twilightsmile:

7069332 even with some plot holes it's still a great story my only problem is couldn't Luna have told him What happens if he did leave instead of risking his life by sending him to the future but. even so I still liked it :pinkiehappy:

7108567 Thanks. Plot holes are what happen when I don't make an outline and a plan. I'm glad you could still enjoy the story even with these plot holes.

7108583 Well to be honest I didn't even notice any of the plot holes like the whole not searching the train I just thought the train had already left by the time they relised spike was gone

7108600 It had left. I meant that it was kind of a plot hole that nobody thought to check any of the trains for him.

I love the story!!
(ps. out of curiosity but what is spike's daughter's name?)

7274510 Thank you! I think typically she is named Claire but I'm honestly not certain.

This is by far one of my favourite stories on this site! :pinkiehappy:
I remember being so absorbed in story and-......don't even get me started on the feels. :fluttercry:

Lots of feels.
You did a great job and I hope to see more from you in he future, maybe you could even write a sequel.

7692801 Thanks so much! This was one of my earlier pieces and I remember it with fondness. I'm glad you liked it.:pinkiehappy:

Simply astounding:heart:

another great story.....I'm starting to get mad XD
there has to be at least ONE bad fic man! lol
also I was half expecting spike to be like
"Ok ill forgive you on one condition"
his dream that night as just knight spike surrounded by hot mares.
idk why that popped into my head lol.

8723714 I'm sure I've written a few less than stellar stories. :rainbowlaugh: But thanks for the compliment!

Login or register to comment