• Published 12th Mar 2016
  • 5,046 Views, 66 Comments

Fluffy Fever - Eyeswirl the Weirded



Sunset finds herself a little under the weather. Luckily, a friend shows up to cure all that ails her!

  • ...
2
 66
 5,046

Chapter 6: Will There Be Lollipops?

Sunset awoke to find herself nestled in the winter quilt, her body unmoved from where she'd fallen asleep. How Adagio had managed that little switcheroo without waking her, she wasn't sure. Glancing around, she was just the tiniest bit disappointed not to find her doting Dazzling doctor nearby this time, but she guessed that Adagio probably had better things to do than be a living pillow to a sick girl for the rest of the day.

Checking the time, Sunset found that it was about ten minutes after school let out for the day, so maybe Adagio had headed out to meet someone that would have been in classes until now? Rarity, maybe? There weren't a whole lot of other candidates that she knew of, which led to the thought that outside her, each other, and Sunset herself, the Dazzlings probably didn't have a lot of friends. While she pondered whether or not they'd ever shaved down that 'enemy list' of theirs, Sunset was startled by the sound of her front door flying open.

"HI, SUNSET!!"

"Pinkie Pie," came Rarity's stern voice, "don't raise your voice like that, she might still be resting!"

"Oop!" There were giggles. "Sorry!"

It sounded like Rainbow spoke next as they approached her room. "How do ya think she's holdi-WOAH!"

The next thing Sunset knew, Fluttershy had burst into her room and quickly began examining her as part of a practiced, slightly invasive Friend-Is-Sick-Have-To-Help check-up.

"Areyouokay?! Areyouwarmenough?! Doyouneedabucket?! Whataboutblankets?! Areyourestingwell?! Doyouneedanotherlullaby?!"

These frantic attentions continued until Rainbow, Pinkie, Rarity, and Applejack joined them in the room, though it was just a little crowded.

Her smile equal parts amused and grateful, Sunset waved Fluttershy off with one arm. "I'm fine, I'm fine, thanks."

Pulling back, Fluttershy examined a thermometer in her hands. "Hmm... Temperature is a little high, but otherwise pretty healthy."

Sunset stared in quiet shock. Where did she put that?! And when?!

Smiling, Applejack adjusted her hat. "Better already, huh? Looks like sleep's the best medicine after all."

"Well, actually..." Some part of Sunset was hesitant to share this information, but she didn't want to lie to her friends about having spent a few hours in a small room with Adagio, then going to sleep in her hair again. "Adagio Dazzle took care of me."

This won a few looks of surprise, but Pinkie smiled. "Oh, was it because in addition to not having a whole lot of stuff to do on account of technically being unemployed, she felt like she owed you some kind of favor for everything you've done for her since the morning you two came to school together and rather than interpret your actions as caring and kind-hearted deeds for their own sake, she thinks it-" She was silenced when Rainbow slapped a hand to her mouth.

"Yeesh, we get it, you can save time by summarizing exposition to streamline the narrative." Everyone, Pinkie included, stared at her in shocked silence for a moment. She crossed her arms, raising her chin somewhat haughtily. "I read sometimes."

Following another short silence, Applejack tilted her hat a little. "Welp, reckon that's that."

Sunset blinked twice. "None of you are suspicious or worried? Not even a bit?"

"Nope."
"Nah."
"Nu-uh."
"W-well, no more worried than usual, I guess."
"Not at all, Darling."

Rainbow scratched her head. "They came to school all last week and nothing bad happened, right? Feels like they've all gone straight."

Huh, thought Sunset, my friends are all apparently cool with this. Sweet!

Well, part of her was disappointed. It wasn't that she wanted a conflict, but she'd gained so much experience relating to distrust-based drama! She let the thought pass as Fluttershy grinned brightly at her.

"I'm glad you're feeling better."

There were affirmative sounds from the others, though Rarity noticed an... interesting little detail.

My, my. Quite a few orange hairs on her bed, aren't there? Hope they weren't up to anything strenuous...

She didn't say anything out loud, but there would be time to interrogate ask Sunset, or perhaps Adagio herself, for all the juicy details later.

An arrangement was made for there to be a Congrats On Not Kicking The Bucket party for Sunset that weekend before some sharing of how school went that day, some small talk, a quick check if Sunset needed anything, and the others leaving her to rest for the remainder of the day.

---

The following morning, Sunset felt right as rain! The saying never made sense to her, but looking it up was yet another of those things she knew she wasn't going to remember to actually do any time soon. Regardless, she put her trusty jacket on, pausing for a moment when she noticed a slip of paper poking out of one of the pockets. On it was a phone number and a message.

You asked, so, here it is. Don't worry, I already got your number from your phone while you were out.

Get more sleep, silly girl!

It wasn't signed, but there was no doubt in Sunset's mind who wrote it as her eyebrows furrowed at the last line. She called the number, waiting through the rings before Adagio picked up.

"Sunset Shimm-"

"I'M NOT SILLY!!"

"Gah!!"

Realizing that she essentially just shouted into someone's ear, Sunset smiled sheepishly, even if it wasn't visible. "Oh, and, hi!"

"Erm... Y-yes, hello... Did you need something?"

"Huh?" Oh, right, you're supposed to have something to say when you call people! "Oh, n-nothing, just, y'know, testing the number." She winced at what sounded like either skepticism or hurt on the other line.

"You thought I would give you a fake number?"

"W-well, no, I, uh, just wanted to make sure you didn't give me a sex line's number as a prank or something."

"...Why would I know a sex line's number?"

It was entirely possible that Sunset's brain was mad at her for some reason. "I, er, y-you, well, uh, n-no, I just-"

There was an audible smirk in Adagio's voice. "Were you hoping to use my number as a sex line?"

She felt warmer now than at any point she had been sick. "That wasn't what I-"

"Because, I'm doing alright between what we get paid in the virtual reality project and what Rarity gives me to do, but if you're making suggestions on where I might find wor-"

"NO!! I just-" She heard coughing on the other end. "...Are you okay?"

"Hm? Oh, yes, I'm fine, but Aria and Sonata seem to have come down with something. Would you two like to say hello?"

"HIYA, SUNNY!" Sonata was cheerful for a sick person, but it was possible having a fever just made some people loopy.

Aria sounded a little more annoyed. And congested. "Yah. Tanks for gibbin' us yur bug, Shimmur."

"By the way," Adagio added, "you're on speaker."

Realizing that Adagio must have carried her infection after all, Sunset frowned a little. "Sorry you caught my cold, guys."

"Ahh, don' worry," replied Aria, "means we don' h-have, h-have t-t-ACHOO!!"

Aria's sniffle came at the same time as Sonata's giggling. "S'okay, Sunny-Dee, havin' The HackySneeze means we don't hafta go to work today!"

"But you do have to stay in bed," came Adagio's light reprimand, "now settle down."

"Yes, mummy."

Sunset wasn't sure if it was the two sickly sirens not being too bothered by their predicament or the quiet grumbles she heard from the third that made her smile. "Do what she says, girls, sleep is important for your immune system." She couldn't hear whether or not either of the two patients replied, but Adagio was probably smiling.

"Glad you learned something from that experience, Sunset Shimmer."

"Yes," Sunset said in the sweetest tones she could manage, "I had a very dedicated caretaker." Adagio didn't respond right away, but Sunset could tell by the sounds of Aria and Sonata snickering that she was turning red again, which drew a pleased smirk.

"I'll remind you two," came a low hiss, "that I'm taking care of you right now."

Sunset beamed, talking loudly enough that she was sure the others could hear. "Don't worry if she gives you a BIG SHOT, girls, she hurts you because she loves you!"

"SUNSET!!" Adagio groaned. "Great, Aria's curled up into a ball again."

Sonata's laughter made her a little hard to interpret. "H-help us, Sunny! She's g-gonna use the thermometer on us!"

"Go back to sleep, Sonata!"

"The one you have to pull your pants down f-"

Adagio sounded a little aggravated as she hastily ended the call. "I'lltalktoyouwhenIknowmoreaboutthenextjobgoodbye!"

Beep!

Snickering for several seconds, Sunset shook her head at herself even as she smiled.

Did it again. Right back where I started. But this time, I'm not gonna worry!

Adagio had shown that while not above seeking retribution if provoked, she had a pretty decent understanding of that whole Friendly Ribbing thing by now. Besides, even if she did get her back, the worst Adagio could come up with had to be better than freaking out about what she might do, right?

Author's Note:

You know, my first idea for a title to this story collection (if titling a series doesn't sound as pretentious as I think it does) was the "Dazzle and Fluff series," but I'm beginning to think "Sunset and Adagio Together For a While in a Small Room series" wouldn't be disingenuous. Seriously, I've already got enough written to know that it's going to happen at least a few more times before this thing is finished.
Also acceptable: "Sunset and Adagio Together For a While in a Small Room and Nothing Saucy Happens Despite Loads of Shipping Fuel and More Than a Few Moments of Sexual Tension series."

Anyway, the main point of this little story was to get some exposition out of the way so we could get on with the virtual adventures without needing to stop and clear up unexplained things every few paragraphs. The secondary point was to supply some cutesy moments between our leading ladies of this series. :pinkiehappy:
Hope it didn't come out feeling too much like a chapter of one of my other stories based on pretty much the same premise.

Just seven stories left in this series!
Or eight.
Nine, maybe.
Ten tops. At this rate, the series may be finished within another two years! Yay...! ^^;

Comments ( 23 )

I heard that you were feeling ill.
Headache, fever and a chill.
I came to help restore your pluck,
'Cause I'm the nurse who likes to...

Saved for later reading, but I couldn't help but quote a little FBDO upon seeing that picture.

Adagio really missed a trick for not leaving certain perfectly inocous toys laying around, then if people think youve been laying around, can make them think totally the wrong thing.

Then again, I bet Sonata would really miss her pull string vibrating hamster toy. :trollestia:

Author could use 'The Shimmering Fluffy Pillow War' for a series title?

7053291 media.giphy.com/media/fHNbPImgymAmI/giphy.gif

Another great story from Eyeswirl the Weirded. It was mostly fluff but it was good fluff. Looking forward to whatever's next. :pinkiehappy:

This was a fun one! Well done!

Great Momdagio ending!

7053828
"Ending"

just seven stories left in this series!
Or eight.
Nine, maybe.
Ten tops. At this rate, the series may be finished within another two years! Yay...! ^^;

It's a beginning.


Hehehe

7054345

They'll Never Stop The Dazzlings!
Have no fears, Eyeswirl's got stories for years, like
Adagio becomes a robot,
Maybe Sonata gets a cell phone, has Aria ever owned a bear?
Or, how 'bout a crazy wedding?
Where something happens and doo doo doo doo doo...

I've been making my way through your little Dazzle collection and it is absolutely to die for! :heart: You write Adagio's character PERFECTLY! And this one was by far my favorite, the cutesy SunDagio stuff was to die for

I look forward to seeing more of their adventures! Keep up the good work

7191556
Glad you're enjoying this take on things! I can't say when the next story will be ready, but I hope to get more done over the summer. :pinkiesmile:

Sunset stared in quiet shock. Where did she put that?! And when?!

good lord, this was hilarious but looking at it independently in the comment box perhaps a bit disturbing :rainbowderp: awesome

Rarity would notice. Now I wonder what she thinks about whatever's going on between Adagio and Sunset. Does she, or anyone, know that Sunset is friends with the sirens outside of school? Rarity surely saw Sunset getting hot under the collar at Adagio's ballroom gown, but do she and Adagio ever talk about Sunset Shimmer? Ah I'm so excited!

It's almost too bad Adagio didn't leave the number to a sex line (or at least pretend to be someone else when she answered) but very sweet nonetheless.

Much fun story, I would've read it early but the day ch 3 was posted I came down with my own fever and haven't found the time. I'm glad I did and I'll anxiously await future installments should they come ^__^

7231762

Does she, or anyone, know that Sunset is friends with the sirens outside of school?

Her friends know what's been going on, all except for the events of the first story. Gradual friendship-building has occurred between the two, but the only noteworthy interaction apart from Sunset has been between Adagio and Rarity. For now.

As usual, I have no idea when the next story will be ready, but I'm glad you've enjoyed this one! :pinkiehappy:

7231794
Ah, no rush! I wouldn't dream of asking for a timeline. Your work is enjoyable and well worth waiting for.

The event of the first story is like 'the lost adventure' so I'm not surprised nobody knows anything about it; I was mostly asking about the bank heist adventure or the fact that they keep in touch. Also wasn't sure if Adagio had time to warm up to the other Rainbooms with Fluttershy being the last hold-out.

Well, finally got around to reading this series. It's fairly decent, though it does seem to be getting a little repetitive. "Fluff and Kidnapping" was my favorite, and I think part of that was that it mixed things up; you had Rarity and Adagio having the whacky interactions with each other (and while Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie didn't get too much attention, their plan was so hilariously goofy it was funny in and of itself) while Sunset dealt with just Sonata and Aria. This felt too much like a retread of the first story (though Sunset's ramblings and delirium were a bit amusing). I'm hoping that future installments will take a little focus off of just Sunset and Adagio and focus more on the other characters. I do appreciate the lack of shipping, though, as I feel nothing spoils these kinds of goofy stories faster than trying to introduce a romantic element.

7337679

I feel nothing spoils these kinds of goofy stories faster than trying to introduce a romantic element.

To save you a bit of time, you might be reading the wrong series. In fact, I don't think you'll like much of the rest of my work if you're opposed to shipping amid the shenanigans, but I hope you were at least decently entertained by however much you've read up to this point. :twilightsmile:

7337839

Wait, so there is shipping planned in this series in the future? That's a letdown, particularly as your author's notes in the series have indicated you had no plans to engage in any outside of some teasing (in this series at least).

7338018
Sorry if it wasn't clear enough, but when I said "I'm only aiming for friendshipping this time, there will be no (deliberate) RarDagio, SunNata, SunAria, or even AriaNata in this series," "this time" referred to that particular story, I intend to focus more on character interactions than outright romance (that you got this far without noticing tells me I'm doing pretty well), and you may have caught that Sundagio was left out of that little list, in addition to quite a few other possibilities.

To be blunt, I'm a near-compulsive Sundagio shipper (though I realize now that I haven't officially written them getting together even once so far...), and the relationship here is really slow-building, but still existent. I leave it to you if you're convinced that slice-of-life shenanigans (and whatever the simulations bring) can't be fun with elements of rom-com, but there has been plenty of shipping fuel between the central characters since the first story, as alluded to in the authors' note to just this last chapter (in fine print).

7338072

Well... actually, I was referring to the author's notes in this chapter, and in particular the fine print you cite. The "and Nothing Saucy Happens Despite Loads of Shipping Fuel and More Than a Few Moments of Sexual Tension" indicated, at least to me, that the series would continue with some teasing to the reader but never going into actual shipping.

7338095
Nothing saucy happening means no clop, not no shipping whatsoever. If that was how you defined the term, I can kind of see why it might put you off, but there is a considerable difference. :derpytongue2:

Everyone, Pinkie included, stared at her in shocked silence for a moment. She crossed her arms, raising her chin somewhat haughtily. "I read sometimes."

This is great.

Congrats On Not Kicking The Bucket

:rainbowderp: You, have a morbid sense of humor, for a teenager.

Snickering for several seconds, Sunset shook her head at herself even as she smiled.

You got way too much of a kick out of that. To be fair though, I'd do the same.

Lol aria in a ball lol

Awesome! This was so cute!

Login or register to comment