• Published 8th Jan 2016
  • 621 Views, 16 Comments

Quiet Conversation - Destiny-brave-fire



Blue Jay manages to meet a squad of Wonderbolts one evening that changes her life around.

  • ...
0
 16
 621

The show

Blue Jay sat in one of the stadium seats of the Vanhoover stadium along with thousands of other ponies, most of them being on their hooves and cheering loudly causing the sound to reverberate in the enclosed space. One of the finest stadiums built, with all new green plastic seats with cushions and cup holders on the side or attached to the seat in the row ahead. Much like the spokes on a wagon wheel, the sections of seats were separated by ramps gently sloping upward as well as green railings in the middle of them. The retractable ceiling was high overhead, and would normally allow the sky to be visible, but clouds blocked such a view today. Meanwhile on the ground, normally a hard plain surface allowing for whatever material was needed to be laid down, a layer of fluffy white clouds covered the arena floor.

“Ladies and Gentlestallions! Please give a warm welcome to the very own Wonderbolts, SQUAD FIFTEEN!” The announcer called out as a medium size thundercloud floated its way from one of the stadium entrances, dark and crackling with electricity with the occasional bolt arcing towards the crowd but fading before it got too close to anypony. Suddenly four streaks of cloud pulled away in the shape of a diamond and as most of the cloud evaporated off the pegasi –besides their tails and manes– four ponies, all wearing the blue and yellow Wonderbolt uniform could be seen spreading out. The group regrouped at one side of the stadium and began flying around in a horizontal line.

Roughly at the first quarter of the way around the stadium, the last of the clouds fell away to reveal a mare with black with silver streaks mane and tail and white wings of Starry Shine. Halfway around the stadium, the clouds drifted off Sand Storm, a light tan, sandy orange mane and matching tail stallion and he waved to the crowd. Three quarters of the way around and Ocean Blaze let the shook the clouds off by performing a tight barrel roll showing off his sea-green body and pepper mane and tail. The final member, Ember Shroud, waited until they were nearly where they had started before she thrusted her wings down hard sending her skyward to show off her red-orange body and dark purple mane and tail while the clouds that covered her continued straight before fading.

With the four pegasi, they each broke away and performed individual routines for a section of the audience that managed to blend flawlessly with dual and entire squad routines before splitting off into individual routines several times making sure to avoid the large white cloud that was drifting down from the ceiling. On the side where the clouds remained close to the ceiling, seven waves of color rained down from the clouds, each matching one color of the rainbow, and squad 15 passed through the red, yellow, blue, and violet colors horizontally while three new ponies passed through the orange, green, and indigo colors at a sharp descent heading in the opposite direction. Working together, they began to paint a picture on the cloud canvas and with each pass under the rainbow waterfall, they flew faster until they were little more than a blur of color.

As the last bit of color cascaded down, the painting was completed so squad fifteen hovered in place using their wings to create a breeze that rotated the painting around. A periwinkle mare with an icy blue mane and tail used her wings to cut sections of the cloud canvas away while the remaining three passed under a waterfall of water to wash the colors off. A stallion with a dark-turquoise body, ivory mane and tail was first to pass through before heading back to help trim away the clouds. The remaining two mares flew side by side but before they passed under the water, they turned ninety degrees while closing the gap between them. The mare with the mint green body, raven-black mane and tail veered off upwards to the left while the mare with the black body and a sunrise color mane and tail shot down and to the right. Making a wide arc, they flew back towards the cloud canvas before cutting the final two sections away revealing a large, intricately detailed banner depicting Celestia and Luna on top and bottom respectively with the sun and moon under them. On either side stood Twilight Sparkle and the Elements of Harmony while the other side showed Cadence with the crystal heart.

“Let’s give it up for the amazing talents of fifteen and nineteen!” The announcer called out as the members of squad nineteen –Windy Shuffle, Melody Mist, Polar Rose, and Moonlit Dawn– waved as they helped to rotate the banner while Squad fifteen bowed.

There was a ten-minute intermission to help clear the arena allowing ponies to stretch their legs. Softly at first, but then gradually the music began playing announcing squad three. “Everypony, welcome back to the show.” The announcer greeted. “It’s going to be difficult to top the combined artistic efforts of squad fifteen and nineteen, so let me hear you; do you THINK SQUAD THREE CAN TOP THAT!?” He yelled the last part which sent the entire stadium into loud cheering and stomping as they voiced their opinions.

Blue Jay whimpered as she pressed her ears against her head as the roar of the crowd got louder as the Wonderbolts squad three –consisting of Misty Fly, Fire Streak, his twin brother Lightning Streak, and Surprise– flew from one of the entrances until Blue Jay couldn’t take it anymore. Reaching to her neck with a wing, she fiddled with a silver necklace and sighed in relief as the noise level became bearable once more. Like many ponies, she enjoyed the shows the Wonderbolts put on but couldn’t deny that squad three were spectacular than most and her blue eyes never left the group the entire time.

The four Wonderbolts flew a few laps around the stadium waving to their fans and as they passed over Blue Jay’s head, she swore she saw a small tear forming in Misty Fly’s eye and once the Wonderbolts passed, Blue Jay looked down for a moment. Why would she be crying? She asked herself as she looked at her front hooves. Wouldn’t she be happy performing for this many fans? With no answer coming to mind, she returned her gaze to them as the show began in earnest this time.

Misty Fly flew around with her squad mates and she didn’t need Fire Streak to translate what her eyes told her, that there were thousands of fans cheering them on and though she was happy that they were doing that, she couldn’t help but to shed a tear knowing that she only “heard” them in her mind. Alas, the show must go on but not before she saw a white pegasus with a blue mane and black tips wearing a silver necklace and the stadium light reflected the engraved circle with three arced lines rising from the center point getting a little longer. Looking back at her squad mates, she nodded before flying slower and letting the other three take over as Surprise arced towards the ground while Misty Fly ascended and the Streak brothers split off in the opposite directions.

Surprise scooped up some clouds from the ground before throwing them skyward and repeating the process two more times except kicking the last set causing the three group of clouds to rejoin as one big cloud and they had barely formed when Misty Fly made some hoof motions. Fire Streak and Lightning Streak, flying from the opposite directions, went through the cloud with their wings to make a perfect cube. Diving down once they were done, Misty Fly met Surprise as she was flying upwards and they both spiral through the pieces of the cloud that had been cut away causing the pieces to dissipate into water droplets. Finding the Streak twins, Misty Fly crossed her front hooves into an X telling them what to do next.

The Streak twins crossed through the cloud causing it to split into four smaller cubes. Surprise came around and punched two of the pieces to the far end of the stadium where Lightning Streak and Misty Fly were before performing a tight arc to head back to the other two cubes. Fire Streak shot by and took of the cubes to the opposite end with Surprise heading for the final cube and passing within a half a hoof length away from Fire Streak.

Keeping her hooves busy by spinning the cloud cube she had, Misty Fly watched her squad mates. Fire Streak shaped his cloud into a pyramid before spinning it around and making a cone. Lightning Streak –she was pleased to see he didn’t shape his cloud cube into a mare’s plot like he had been doing– had made the Wonderbolt insignia. Surprise tussled her cloud cube before taking a deep breath and blowing into it, somehow causing the cloud to explode and release confetti and she was quick to spell out the word surprise with the cloud. All four of them turned to face the middle of the stadium and everypony except for Fire Streak flew towards the center. Once the other three were in the right spot, they stopped and bucked their clouds hard to propel them to the center. Fire Streak waited a split second before he did a midair somersault and used the momentum his body created to drive the cone straight for the other clouds. In the center, the four clouds smashed together causing them to explode and cover the area with a light mist.

Misty Fly motioned to Surprise and the two flew circles while staying below the falling mist spreading it outward. Once the mist had spread out a bit, Fire Streak and Lightning Streak shot towards it –and each other– but spinning to the right at the last second to pass by each other less than a tail width away. As they emerged from the opposite ends of the clouds, they pulled a mist trail after them and soon met up with Misty Fly and Surprise before the four of them flew to the ground. With a comical bow, they waved to the crowd as they walked out the same entrance way they flew in through.

Blue Jay cheered with the rest of the fans, having hoofed the necklace several times until she had heard it click off and now, she heard the crowd at a noise level just above a normal level. She decided to sit and let most of the crowd leave before she even considered standing and also hoped that the Wonderbolts might consider performing an encore routine. However, when it became clear that nopony was coming back out, she stood up and stretched her wings to their fullest extent feeling all her muscles going taunt before relaxing and finally started to head towards the exit.

Author's Note:

This is only the four time writing a Wonderbolt (for squad 15 and 19 only) and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

This is an idea that's been floating around in my head and I finally worked up the courage to post this.