• Published 28th Feb 2016
  • 4,508 Views, 458 Comments

Someone Still Loves You - brokenimage321



After realizing her dream of earning her cutie mark—in the company of her best friends, no less—Scootaloo’s life should have been on an upward course. Instead, she sees herself on yet another crusade.

  • ...
16
 458
 4,508

27. Domesticated

Scootaloo didn’t like waking up early, nor did she enjoy being pinned by a defensive forehoof, yet here she was; figuring out a way to squirm free of her vicious attack dog who moonlighted as a rambunctious colt.

This proved to be a little bit more complicated than she had initially thought, what with her precarious spot between Rumble and the couch. With a couple of clumsy maneuvers, she managed to break free of his hold, finally leaping over and onto the cloud floor below.

Scootaloo shook herself as she stretched her hooves, feeling the satisfying pop as she loosened her joints, rigid from being stuck in that awkward position for Celestia-knows how long.

Note to self: Never do that again. Scootaloo thought as she glanced back at Rumble. Or, at least, call dibs on the outside.

After a drawn-out yawn, she trotted into the kitchen, faintly remembering that Fluttershy had left notes for them. The first task of the day was, of course, to make breakfast.

Simple enough

Scootaloo figured simple eggs and potatoes would be fine. It was something she could make from scratch, and was, as far as she remembered, safe for her… Rainbow Dash to eat.

It took a little bit to get the lay of the land, but soon enough, Scootaloo had fetched all of the equipment she would need. She retrieved eggs, potatoes, and seasonings, all which were stored inside the pantry. She wondered how much of this was brought for them, and how much Rainbow actually kept for herself.

Scootaloo didn’t need the carefully written instructions Twilight had left her, though it was nice of her to do do so.

Bam!

She was on her back, the rattle of the pan against the floor making her cringe. Before she could even blink, a grey hoof stretched down to her up, Rumble’s eye wide in horror.

Rumble’s look of worry quickly shifted to one of irritation.

“What the hell are you doing?” he snarled. He had bags under his eyes, his muscled jaw lacked into one position.

“What does it look like? I-”

“Falling over and breaking shit?” Rumble growled, his hooves scraping the clouds as he past her and putting the pan back onto the counter. “I got this, okay?”

Scootaloo blinked. “W--what? No- Rumble, I’m fine, I just slipped-”

She stopped as Rumble gave her that look.

“You don’t need to be such a grump, Rumble,” Scootaloo said as she trotted back to the living room.

“It’s too fucking early to be dealing with this shit.”

Not half an hour ago, she couldn’t stand the idea of leaving his embrace. Now, however, she wouldn’t mind bucking that snarling snout of his.

“Scootaloo, I’m sorry. I shouldn-”

“Damn right you’re sorry!” Scootaloo stomped towards him. “You’re lucky I… like you, or one of these hooves woulda shut you up!”

Scootaloo glanced at the counter to notice Rumble had grabbed some other supplies. Gone were the eggs, replaced with biscuit batter and gravy mix.

“What are you...?”

“Biscuits and gravy,” Rumble said as he added milk to the simmering mixture. “Figured that’d be a little fancier than just eggs and potatoes.”

“W--what’s wrong with just that?”

“Nothing wrong with it.” Rumble shrugged. “But, if you wanna start things off on the right hoof. You gotta go all out, you know?”

You’re one to talk. Scootaloo sighed. “Can I help at least? It is my… idea.”

“Sure.” Rumble smirked. “You can clean off the couch and get her morning medication set up.”

As irritated as Scootaloo was, at least he’d listened to Twilight’s instructions.


Motionless. Emotionless. Rainbow Dash was completely unaware of how she managed to go from nearly dying in the snow-dressed pines of Foal Mountain, to her bedroom which smelled strongly of ammonia.

Rainbow Dash had to struggle against gravity just to turn her head. Somepony had placed a TV tray at her bedside with a cup and some napkins on top.

Glancing forward, she could see her right forehoof propped up and bandaged near the end. She didn't remember hurting herself. And, as she tried to think about it, she found couldn’t remember much of anything at all.

Except…

“I’m so sorry,...I was so mean, I said all of those stupid things and you almost…”

She shuddered.

“Because of me... “

Those last words echoed in her head as she felt nausea roll over her like an avalanche.

How long have I been here? Rainbow shut her eyes as the light filtering through the clouds threatened to blind her.

Rainbow’s eyes shot open. She didn’t care for the bloom or the blinding light, no. She finally had feeling beyond the endless tug from the center of Earth, and it was for all intents and purposes…

Horrible.

Her bandaged hoof itched. It wasn’t just a fleeting sensation, either. This bastard pulsed with the blood in her veins, and mixed with what little feeling she had up there to create a truly horrible sensation that made her retch violently.

Or maybe that was just the candy from the open bottle placed on the far side of her bedside stand.

“Fuck me,” Rainbow croaked as her voice cracked.

For what seemed like an eternity, she simply lie there. The terrible itch went from burning her hoof to searing into her psyche. She cared little about how she got here or why she was living in slow-motion, but she would be damned if this sadistic sensation was going to ruin her life further.

So she moved. Or, more appropriately, her back began to arch up, but her head refused to lift. A sharp pang in her neck sent her right back down.

“What the…!” Rainbow coughed. Whatever followed was obliterated by the onset of a nasty, gravelly, hoarse hackfest that was as relentless as that goddamn fucking itch.

Her heart raced as she heard sounds beyond her door. She winced as she jerked her head, just in time to see Thunderlane. He looked worried.

“You okay?”

What is he doing here?

“Rainbow Dash?”

Rainbow’s pained face curled into a smirk as Thunderlane inched closer, concern in his eyes.

She licked her lips. “Hey old flame, I’m glad you’re here, this itch is fuckin’ killing me.”

Thunderlane chortled as he rolled his eyes and trotted towards her. He said something about sherbet and losing marbles but Rainbow Dash didn’t remember ever having any.

“Yeah, right over there, handsome. Why don’t you do your throwaway a favor and give it a little scratch? While you’re at it, you know, maybe take care of another itch, too?”


Rumble stopped dead in his tracks. He felt only the churning of his stomach and the color draining from his face. He took a few steps back, screaming as he bumped into Scootaloo.

“They’ve got her on some good stuff, don’t they?” Rumble shuddered.

“Well, I mean she did call you handsome, so—”

“This was your idea. You handle it.

“What?” Scootaloo whined. “I don’t wanna clean up her gross bandages!”

“I made breakfast, and if I stay in there any longer, I’m gonna un-eat it.”

Scootaloo groaned as Rumble closed the door behind him, turning to see that Rainbow was staring at the ceiling again.

She carefully trotted over to Rainbow Dash as she grabbed some trash off the TV tray.

“So who am I, Rainbow?” Scootaloo asked. “Cloudchaser or Fluttershy?”

Crickets… and snoring.

Not three minutes after scarring Rumble for life, Rainbow was off to dreamland once again.

Scootaloo laughed in spite of herself. As Twilight’s instructions detailed, she unwrapped the bandages just enough to scrub the wounds, trying her best not to retch.

She was about to wrap up the trash bag and leave when she noticed something on Rainbow’s opposite nightstand. Setting the bag down, she trotted over to the other side of the bed and saw herself in the picture frame. It had to be from a couple years back… back when…

Scootaloo shivered as a flood of memories rushed her mind’s eye with a fury.

She glanced over at Rainbow Dash, who was out like a light. Had this been other circumstances, she would’ve been amused, but instead, Scootaloo felt a pang in her chest .

She shook her head and sighed. She watched Rainbow’s body rise and fall as she imagined her doing rainbooms over the moon. Scootaloo felt sick in more ways than one, and she didn’t bother looking back as she grabbed the rubbish and walked out of the room.

“When’s the wedding?”

“Shut up, birdbrain.” Scootaloo growled, “Pretty sure it was you she was babbling about.”

“Naw,” Rumble waved a dismissive hoof. “My brother, though… he’s got some serious explaining to do when I get back.”

“He never told you?”

“You knew?

“Well, I mean... I always heard about it when she had a stallion. Usually just Rarity gossiping about it or something. Never cared enough to know who though.”

“I guess I’m not surprised,” Rumble said, flipping through a comic book. “He had a mare for every day of the week it seemed like.”

Scootaloo bit back a quip and sat beside Rumble on the couch.

“What’cha readin’?”

Power Ponies,” Rumble replied. “Button sent a shit-ton of comics if you wanna read one. Just don’t get them wet or torn. He’ll literally kill you.”

“Sure he will.” Scootaloo smirked. “He so much as splits a hair, I’ll just sick my rottweiler on him.”

“Hilarious.” Rumble frowned. “You come up with that just now, or have you been working on that one since your trip?”

Scootaloo snickered as she leafed through some comics, carefully popped one from the stack, and scooted back to Rumble’s side.

After a couple minutes of following the escapades of a Daring Do steampunk knock-off, and her duel against mechanized yaks, Scootaloo found herself drawn back to what Rumble was reading. Setting her comic down, she began peeking over his shoulder.

Rumble glanced over. “Hey.”

Hey.” Scootaloo giggled, a dumb grin plastered on her face.

“You bored?”

“Naw, I’m Scootaloo.”

“Pfff, okay, Scootaloo.” Rumble rolled his eyes. “You know what I meant. Not a fan of bionic Yaks?”

“I dunno.” Scootaloo shrugged. “Just not in a reading mood, that’s all.”

“Did you already open our mail?”

“What mail?”

Rumble pointed towards the paper sack. “Fluttershy said there’s some invitations or something for us.”

“Oh, really?” Scootaloo hooped down from the couch and plucked one of the fancy envelopes from the bag, eyeing the glittered border with curiosity. She tore off the flap and pulled out a small card.

You are cordially invited to dinner and dancing at the Rich Estate. Saturday from 8PM-11PM. No RSVP required. Casual attire is encouraged.”

“Another party, huh?” Rumble asked.

“Looks like it-” Scootaloo read the other envelope. “Even you have an invite this time.”

“Oh, lucky me.” Rumble smirked. “We should totally go.”

“We can’t.”

“W...what do you mean we can’t?” Rumble laughed, “We just head out around seven, and-”

“What are we gonna do about her?” Scootaloo said, pointing towards Rainbow’s room.

“It’s almost as if we have a mare who wouldn’t mind coming here a little earlier than usual.”

“Rumble, no. That’s rude.”

“Are you serious right now?” Rumble face-hoofed. “You go from I’m not sure I wanna do this, to this is our life now in under an hour. Cool.”

“Hey, if you wanna just bail on me, then go for it.”

Rumble guffawed. “Okay, Cranky Doodle, you know that’s not how it’d go. You afraid of fresh air or something?”

No!” Scootaloo barked, stomping her hoof. “I promised that I would help take care of Rainbow Dash, and that’s exactly what I’m gonna do!”

“Because that involves so much-”

“You know what, Rumble?” Scootaloo galloped over to him, her fiery glare meeting his indifferent stare. “After the way you ran your bucking mouth this morning, I didn’t think you’d be stupid enough to piss me off again.”

Rumble carefully set the comic book on the end table, and with a sigh, got down from the couch, trotting past Scootaloo and towards the front door.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

Rumble simply shook his head as he closed the door behind him. Scootaloo almost wished he had slammed it.


If you wanna bail on me, then go for it.” Rumble stuck his tongue out as he mimicked his grumpy friend.

Brat.

Rumble loved the rush of morning air that whipped around him as he took off from Rainbow’s porch. He knew the house was a little musty inside, but the crisp air and the smell of Ponyville really made him realize how much he needed this.

While normally he’d love to go above the clouds, he couldn’t afford to be spotted by any of his brothers’ work pals. Banking right from above the town’s center, he headed north. The further from his house, the better.

It was still fairly early in the afternoon, with ponies trotting about Mane Street as the Friday Farmer’s Market began to set up for the afternoon traffic. Fluttering down not too far from Button’s house, he turned and wandered towards the crowds.

I wonder if Fluttershy is out here. He thought as he listened to an artichoke merchant hawk his wares, which included some funky-looking shears.

“Rumble?”

Rumble snarled. Yes, because I need another furious filly on my case.

Even though she didn’t say anything, Rumble could feel Apple Bloom staring at him.

She flinched as he whirred around, a stern glare upon his face.

“What do you want?”

“Well, I was just-”

“Look, I already got Scootaloo mad at me right now. You can bitch at me later if you want.”

As he began to trot away, she quickly followed, the sound of her hooves making Rumble’s ears flatten.

“I was actually wantin’ to apologize...”

Rumble stopped and turned around. “What?”

“I was maybe hopin’ we could… put the past behind us.”

“Uh…”

“I feel awful.” Apple Bloom pawed the ground nervously. “All those rotten things I said about you. I was bein’ foolish, and- I just made it worse for you and Scoots, and well…”

Rumble gaped as tear trickled down her cheek and fell to the ground.

“Scootaloo’s my best friend. I don’t wanna lose her and Sweetie Belle over some stupid fight. I ain’t mad at you anymore, and we don’t gotta be friends if you don’t want, but I just wanted to say... I’m sorry.”

Rumble watched her for a moment, trying his darndest to process what had just happened. His mind still a bit scrambled from earlier.

“So, let me get this straight.” Rumble sighed, “You finally decide to apologize to me now… Why exactly? How am I supposed to just be okay with it?”

“I didn’t because I couldn’t, Rumble.”

“Wha…”

“Applejack, she…” Apple Bloom swallowed. “I never thought she’d do me wrong; lie to me. She told me you were nothin’ but trouble, and… between that and… what happened at school, I just kinda believed her. I know that’s not really an excuse, but...”

I never thought my big sister would do me wrong, huh? Rumble shuddered. Switch the sex around and… dammit.

“I know what you mean, actually,” Rumble chucked darkly. “Wasn’t until my dad probably threatened to kill Thunderlane that he stopped being a total asshole to Scoots. It does suck. Never thought I’d have to be the bigger pony, but… I get it. I’m sorry, too.”

Apple Bloom didn’t know what to say, staring at her hooves instead.

“Look,” Rumble said finally. “I’m not accepting your apology, but I can’t hate you. Scootaloo still likes you, so as long as you don’t get on her bad side, you won’t have any problems from me.”

“Oh…” Apple Bloom shook a little. “I was hopin’ to maybe talk to her. Is she here?”

“Nope,” Rumble said quickly. “She’s up in the clouds, kicking up a storm.”

Rumble glanced back towards town. It appeared a couple more stalls had opened, and he was tempted to get away from this and grab a snack—maybe get some of that peace and quiet he had come here for.

Then he looked back at Apple Bloom who hadn’t moved. Pawing the ground, sniffling a little. Rumble swallowed. I’d better not regret this.

“You wanna see her?”

“Wh...what?”

“I mean.” Rumble winced as he realized what he was about to do. “Maybe she’d be in a better mood if you two talked.”

“Well, sure, but I mean if she isn’t-”

“Wait. Right. Here.”

With that, Rumble shot upwards. Within moments, he was back on the porch of Rainbow’s house.

He didn’t see Scootaloo as he closed the door behind him, or as he crossed the living room, trotted past the kitchen, or as he passed through the hallway. Peeking through Rainbow Dash’s bedroom door, showed she wasn’t in there, either. He also noticed that Rainbow hadn’t touched her breakfast yet.

Well that’s irritating. Rumble grumbled internally as he knocked twice on Scootaloo’s door.

He was greeted by an adorably grumpy filly.

“What?” Scootaloo barked.

“You’re still mad at me?”

“You’re still not gonna apologize?”

“Scoots…” Rumble couldn’t help smirk, even as he sighed. “Look, I’m not a morning pony. I guess I never warned you about that. I’m sorry for being such an asshole.”

“Whatever,” Scootaloo said. “What do you want?”

“Apple Bloom needs to talk to you.” Rumble blinked, then continued, “I... also think I left my goggles in your room. If I’m doing all this flying today, I kinda need to see.”

Finally, Scootaloo opened the door all the way. She watched him with suspicion as he peeked around the room for his eyewear.

“How do you know she wants to talk to me?”

“Saw her when I was walkin’ through town,” Rumble said, digging through his duffel bag. “Told me she was sorry for being a jerk and stuff.”

“What about Applejack?”

Rumble glanced back at her with that coy smile she hated to love.

“If I tell you everything, you’ll have nothing to talk about.”

“Whatever.” Scootaloo rolled her eyes. “Just hurry up and find your stupid goggles already.”

“Pretty sure it was you who was swooning over ‘em when we were at my place- speak of Tartarus here they are-” Rumble fastened them over his eyes and headed towards the front door. “Either that or I just outed my side filly who’s also your stunt double.”

“Pushing it, Rumble,” Scootaloo growled as she clambered onto Rumble’s back.

You’re just mad because you’re doing the climbing this time.

Rumble snorted as he bit his tongue. Celestia forbid he give her an actual excuse to smack him.

He didn’t wait for her signal, instead, getting a kick out of her wild screams as he launched downwards, earthbound like a blazing meteor.

Scootaloo was quick to dismount as Rumble landed not far from where Apple Bloom was still waiting.

“I really want to kick your ass right now,” Scootaloo growled at Rumble as she trotted towards Apple Bloom.

“I’d love to see you try, caped crusader.” Rumble quipped, earning a glare but not much else.

Rumble watched from a distance as Apple Bloom apologized in length to Scootaloo, this time with many tears and firm hugs. He couldn’t quite make out what she was saying, but it seemed from Scootaloo’s relaxed posture and occasional laugh that they were getting along well.

“They’re probably going to be awhile,” Rumble said to himself as he watched ponies mingle near the center of town. One last look back to Scootaloo and Apple Bloom and then he began to trot towards the bustling crowds.


Rainbow opened her eyes once again, this time the sterile smell was accompanied by something delicious. Immediately, she looked towards the tray to see homemade biscuits and gravy on one of her paper plates, and a half-filled plastic cup. Grabbing it with a trembling hoof, she could see it was orange juice; some of it sloshing onto her blanket as she brought it to her snout.

Shit.

After getting half of it down her throat, and the other on herself, Rainbow launched the cup towards the wall, yelping as the pain in her hoof renewed with insistent vigor.

Sitting up proved equally arduous, her shaking making the bed frame rattle as she pulled herself up. She wasn’t sure if she was supposed to do this, but she wasn’t about to eat lying down.

She groaned as her stomach growled, the smell of brunch tormenting her. Slowly, she brought the plate to her lap, her mouth watering at the two halved biscuits dressed in gravy and tasty bits.

“Fluttershy really went all-out with this one,” Rainbow smirked as she opened her mouth to take a hearty bite, only for her lips to part the tiniest fraction.

What the buck happened to me?

Her bites were hardly nibbles, and she got more of the gravy on her muzzle than in her mouth, but she savored every little bit of flavor she could get.

Maybe it was just the food, but Rainbow Dash felt slightly better—enough to finally sit up and eat, anyway. Finally able to look out her bedroom window, she could see a light cloud cover above Ponyville, some of the intern weather squad keeping the front in check.

I guess I wasn’t wrong trusting Thunderlane to take care of things. Rainbow smiled to herself. I’ll be outta here in no time, but until then, I’m fine with this… extended nap.

Rainbow winced as her body began to ache again. Slowly, and almost as unsteadily as before, she managed to lie back down. In trying to glance up at the window, she noticed something on her nightstand.

Pushing the frame around, she made out a slightly younger Scootaloo sitting beside her. Taken a time before the betrayal, before the hatred and regret—before both of their worlds were turned upside down.

Scootaloo…

Rainbow’s head sunk back into the pillow as she frowned. She hadn’t seen her since that night in the hospital, where she had been hysterical.

Rainbow shuddered a little, wondering where the little orange filly was right now.

I hope she’s okay… Rainbow frowned. Everything I put her through…

My little filly….

Rainbow’s eyes shot open, she could’ve sworn she heard something. Somepony was somewhere in her house, and it infuriated her that she couldn’t determine where they were.

She jumped as she heard muffled speech somewhere in the living room—voices she couldn’t recognize. They seemed to be getting closer, until finally the door opened.

Scootaloo jumped a little as Rainbow’s wide eyes were fixed on her. Tongue tied, Scootaloo glanced to somepony behind her.

“You… okay?” Scootaloo managed to squeak out. “You… you need something to eat? She ate, right, Rumble-”

Rainbow blinked as Rumble popped into view. “How was it?”

“Rumble, she probably just woke up.” Scootaloo scowled. “Maybe she’s like you. Wouldn’t wanna, you know, annoy her or anything.”

“Oh, stop with that, will ya?”

“Scootaloo?” Rainbow croaked.

“Ye… Yeah?”

“You okay?”

Scootaloo’s ears flattened a little, taking a cautious step backwards as tears began to well up in her eyes.

“I was worried about you…”

Rainbow felt a pit in her stomach as Scootaloo quickly heel-turned and sped off into her room, slamming the door behind her. Rumble watched her go, then turned back to face Rainbow Dash.

Rumble swallowed. “Anything… you need anything? We can get lunch ready if you’re… hungry.”

“I’m good,” Rainbow lied, trying to wave it off, only to have the gesture trigger yet another coughing fit.

She watched as Rumble hurried out into the hallway. After a moment, he returned with what appeared to be a small bottle of cough suppressant.

“I guess you’re supposed to take this every five hours,” Rumble said as he cautiously approached her. “Uh… here.” Just as soon as he set the bottle on the tray, he trotted towards the door again.

Rainbow let out a heavy sigh. This was going to be a long night.