• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 15,588 Views, 953 Comments

Integration - Darth Link 22



Changes are coming to two different worlds, whether anypony, or anybody, is ready for them or not.

  • ...
23
 953
 15,588

Interlude III: Sunset Shimmer

Sunset Shimmer had never been more nervous. Not even when forcing herself to meet Celestia after all this time. After all, regardless of how she felt, Celestia was still just a pony. She was about to face a being older than the universe itself.

Twilight Sparkle was right beside her, looking just as nervous. She had to laugh. What fear did Twilight have? She was near perfect, Harmony would have no problem with her.

Celestia led them through the void, a sight that was recognized by Twilight, but not by Sunset. On either side of them were several of what looked like video screens, each one showing a scene from one of their lives.

Sunset could see visions of her, as a child under Celestia’s care, as the Queen Bee of Canterlot High, as the Human Twilight’s savior. She saw several images of Twilight, in adventures she had no knowledge of, though she managed to pick out her battle across time with Starlight.

And Celestia’s memories... they were the most fascinating of all. She had heard legends of Celestia’s battles in ancient times, but it paled to seeing her in action. At nearly every screen with her, both Sunset and Twilight wanted to stop and watch, but Celestia insisted they keep moving.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, they reached the end. Here, there was a large door, looking surprisingly plain for what was on the other side.

Celestia stopped in front of the entrance, turning to her two students. “Are you ready?”

Sunset felt her legs shaking as she answered. “Yes. Well, I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.”

Twilight nodded her consent.

“Then let’s go.”

As if on cue, the door opened, and a large white light bathed them. Sunset was stunned. She felt like her eyes should hurt from the intensity of the light should hurt her eyes, but... it was pleasant. She felt an elation like she had never felt before. There was a feeling that everything would be okay.

The light had blinded her to anything else. It took her a moment to realize that her hooves were no longer on solid ground. She was floating. Not flying, her wings remained at her side. She felt weightless.

Hello, my children.

Sunset tensed at the voice that seemed to be coming from everywhere. It was a short lived tension, however, and immediately she felt welcomed.

“Harmony?” Twilight asked, nervousness in her voice.

Yes indeed, young one, the voice said. But you are to call me Mother.

“Mother?”

Indeed, for all are my children. You have entered my presence, Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer, Celestia. I am very proud of all three of you.

“We are happy you’re pleased, Mother,” Celestia said, bowing. Twilight followed suit, but Sunset was too stunned to obey. Instead, her mouth worked, almost involuntarily, voicing her shock.

“Proud? Of me?” Sunset asked.

Yes indeed, child. Has your mother not told you herself of how far you’ve come? Do you truly think your sins are unforgivable?

Sunset found herself crying. “Well... I don’t know. I’ve always told myself that ‘My past is not today’, but...”

Your wings have caused you to doubt yourself.

“...Yes. I’m sorry, I know they’re Your gift, but...”

A new wave of warmth washed over Sunset, ending her protests. It felt good.

Hush, my child. You forget, you are talking to Me, who knows pony nature perfectly. You’ve been gifted my greatest reward. Even those most worthy often doubt if they truly are.

Sunset nodded. “I... I’ve hurt so many.”

You have. You’ve helped a great many as well. Do those count for nothing?

“Well... I...” Sunset felt tongue tied.

The purpose of this visit is to reflect upon yourself, Harmony said. Suddenly, even Twilight and Celestia disappeared in a great blackness. So I say we begin.


Sunset sat in the corner of the playroom, writing something down on the parchment next to her. The other children were wasting their time with toys and coloring books, but she had other things to do.

She looked over the book again, making notes on everything that sounded interesting.

“Sunset?”

The young pony perked up. She turned to see Gloriosa Daisy coming to her corner. The young Unicorn put down her quill. “Yes, Miss Daisy?”

“You’ve been all over those books for hours. Don’t you think it’s time you play with some of the other children?”

“Miss Daisy, I need to learn all of this. Princess Celestia only accepts the best students. I can play when I get out of here.”

“You might be more busy once you’re Celestia’s student,” Daisy said. “Tryouts are still two years away for you, anyway. Why don’t you take a break?”

“Two years is hardly enough time! I need to really wow her if I’m going to get in! I don’t want to hang around here until I’m 14!”

“Why? Don’t you like us?”

At that, Sunset felt guilty. She actually looked away from her book and at her caretaker. “No, no, I didn’t mean it like that. You’re really nice, and so is your brother and the other workers. It’s just that... well...”

Daisy put a hoof on her back gently. “We’re not a substitute for a real family. I understand. There’s too many foals here for us to give you the right amount of attention. But we try our best...”

“I know. But I want a family. Maybe... maybe if Princess Celestia sees something in me, I can find somepony willing to take me.”

Daisy hugged her charge. In spite of herself, Sunset hugged back.

“I understand that you want a family, but I think you’re going about it all wrong. I’ve seen several foals get adopted without having to prove themselves.”

“Well... I like magic, too...”

Daisy was quiet for a moment. Finally, she let her go. “Let me show you something.”

Daisy led her to the small library the orphanage had built up. One would think Sunset would find this the best place to escape, but it was filled mostly with picture books and fiction. She had read what few information books they had, then got the rest on the orphanage’s weekly trips to the town’s library.

Daisy picked out a book from the shelf and lay on one of the big cushions, motioning for Sunset to join her. She did so, but frowned at the title on the cover.

“This is just the book of foal’s tales you always read to us.”

“I know. But I think you need a bit of a refresher.” She opened it up to a page depicting Starswirl the Bearded. “Do you remember this story?”

Sunset looked and nodded. “That’s right. It’s the story of Starswirl the Bearded. He was a great and powerful wizard who discovered all sorts of things, like a time-travel spell and teleportation. But he became distraught when his student, Clover the Clever, was granted the Element of Magic. He spent his whole life looking for the secret to her magic, but he died before he could find the secret, leaving an unfinished spell behind.”

“Very good. Do you remember the story of Hearth’s Warming?”

“Of course. Every foal does. What’s the point of telling me these things?”

“Because there seems to be something you missed about these stories. Remember Starswirl? He went mad towards the end of his life. He locked himself away from the world, pouring over his work and never speaking to anypony. Even Clover the Clever, the pony he loved like a daughter, was pushed away. He was dead a week before anypony noticed, and only Clover mourned him.

“But Clover herself was a different story. She learned to love those she once despised. With Smart Cookie and Pansy, she taught everypony that they had more in common with each other than they thought. She turned Hurricane, Platinum, and Puddinghead into responsible leaders and helped lead Equestria into a golden age. Starswirl might have set the foundation, but Clover the Clever came up with so much in terms of magic she relegated her own mentor to a figure only known in fairy tales and history records only dedicated historians read. She found the Elements of Harmony...”

“Those are just fairy tales,” Sunset said.

“Maybe so, but tales like that don’t come from nothing. Can you tell me what Clover did that her mentor didn’t?”

Sunset knew the answer, but didn’t want to say it. “She became friends with other ponies,” she admitted at last.

“That’s right. If you truly want to become a great, you need others. You need to learn to connect. And that comes with playtime. If you really want to be a great wizard, you need to make friends.”

Sunset was quiet for a moment. “What if those are just stories, like Nightmare Moon?”

“Well, there’s only one way to find out,” Daisy said, getting up. Sunset did the same, and began to follow Daisy back to the play room. She knew the answer even before the Earth Pony motioned to the other ponies.

“You need to try and make a connection.”

Sunset was silent for a moment.

“Sunset... I only want what’s best for you. You believe that, don’t you?”

“Yes.”

“That will you at least consider what I said?”

“...Okay. For you, Miss Daisy, I’ll try.”

Sighing, she moved toward a table where two colts were coloring. She tried to think of something to say. The colts hardly noticed her. Sighing, she sat down and grabbed a sheet of paper and began doodling with a crayon.

After a moment, she heard one of them speak. “Wow, you actually got away from your books?”

Sunset looked up. Now both the colts were looking at her.

“Well, Miss Daisy thought I was studying too much.”

“I’ll say,” the Unicorn said, pushing his glasses up on his face. “Not even I study as much as you do, Sunset.”

“Hey, I don’t study that much!” Sunset said.

“You don’t even know any of the other foals’ names,” the Earth Pony said.

“I do too!”

“Then what are ours?”

Sunset sputtered for a moment. The two colts giggled, causing her to turn red.

“Hey, we were just kidding,” the Earth Pony soothed. “My name’s Sandalwood.”

“And mine’s Micro Chips,” the Unicorn said.

Sunset blinked. “Micro Chips? What does that mean?”

“Not sure. It was something my dad was working on when he died. Apparently it was something that would be revolutionary.”

That peaked her interest. “Something to do with magic?”

He shook his head. “Nope. Apparently, it would have been able to do magical things with no magic.”

That got Sunset’s attention. “Tell me.”

She didn’t see, but Daisy was watching, and smiling.


Sunset had never been so nervous. Sitting in front of her was an egg that refused to hatch. She didn’t understand it. That last spell should have cracked it. It had to.

She looked up to the proctors. They were writing something down. Sunset was convinced that she must have failed. She needed to try something else.

She poured through all her resources and knowledge, and had an idea. The reanimating spell she had looked up. She had never cast it before, and it was meant to cure petrification, but maybe it would soften the egg up enough to hatch. Reaching deep within herself, she cast the spell.

A large flash of white light filled the room, and once it cleared, she looked at the egg.

There wasn’t a single crack on it.

She looked at the proctors. They were staring at her with wide eyes. Oh no, she must have done so badly they were utterly shocked at how stupid it was! She needed to pull something off, quick!

Deciding to go for broke, she charged up her horn. She would slam all her magic into it. That had to crack it.

Looking back on this years later, she realized one of the proctors had started to say “Wait, stop, you’re...”, but she had been so focused that she had missed it. She fired.

The egg didn’t crack. But it was sent rocketing off of its cushion and through the wall behind the proctors, leaving a perfectly egg shaped hole in the wall.

There was a long stretch as everypony in the room was silent.

Just when Sunset thought this whole thing couldn’t get any worse, Princess Celestia herself flew into the room.

The proctors turned to greet her, only to gasp in shock. The Princess had a swollen black eye. Sunset gasped too, then felt her insides turn to ice when she realized she was levitating the still uncracked dragon egg in her magic.

“I don’t suppose you could explain to me how this hit me while I was flying across the castle?”

Each of the proctors pointed at Sunset and shouted “Her fault!” with such harmony, it sounded like it was coming out of one mouth. Sunset was already too terrified to even acknowledge it.

“Really?”

“Yes, Your Highness,” the lead proctor said. “Her name is Sunset Shimmer. She was taking her entrance exam. After casting a reanimating spell, she attempted to just bludgeon the egg apart with magic.”

Celestia looked directly at Sunset. “Is that true?”

“...Y...y... yes.”

“That is... amazing!” Celestia said. “You have this much raw energy? And you can perform a reanimating spell? That takes skill, and using it here shows out of the box thinking. True, I am disappointed that you resorted to brute force, but that’s what training is for. You have so much untapped potential. In fact... Sunset Shimmer, I would like you to become my personal student here at the school!”

Sunset Shimmer stood ramrod stiff, her eyes wide open.

“Sunset?”

That was the last thing she remembered before she blacked out.


Sunset woke to the feeling of soft blankets and warmth. As she opened her eyes, she realized she was in an elegant room, right in the middle of the comfiest bed she had ever had the privilege of laying in.

Trying to remember why she was there, she looked around. She stopped dead when she saw Princess Celestia. That alone would have confused her, but she was also using her magic to hold an ice pack up to one eye, while writing down something on some parchment.

Then she remembered. The exam, hitting Princess Celestia in the eye, and getting in the school regardless.

As she was processing this, the Princess saw her and smiled. “You’re awake...”

“P-Princess, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hit you...”

“Oh please. If anything, I should be thanking you. This black eye gave me an excuse to cancel a meeting with Duke Blueblood.” She set her quill down and began walking toward her.

“Where am I?”

“In my chambers. You needed some rest. The servants are preparing you a room, right next to mine.”

That got her head spinning. “I’m... I’m not going to live at the orphanage?”

“No. I was just signing your custody papers. You’re a ward of the crown now. You’ll live at the palace where I can keep an eye on you.”

Sunset felt happiness swell in her chest. The princess... Princess Celestia herself... had as good as adopted her. It was everything she ever wanted.

She didn’t even realize she had leapt out of bed and was leaping around until Celestia calmed her down. She levitated her close and pulled her into a hug. Sunset hugged back, she was so happy.

Then, a few thoughts occurred to her.

“But... Princess, I never hatched the egg.”

“Of course you didn’t. Nopony ever has. Dragon eggs are so tough and magic-resistant, I doubt anypony other than myself could hatch one. The whole purpose was to test your power level and how you approach your problems.” The Princess pulled away so she could look at her. “You impressed me very much on both counts.”

Sunset felt the warmth rising again. But there were still other questions. “What about my friend, Micro Chips? Did he pass his test?”

“I don’t know. But we can stop by the school and check before dinner.”

“And... will I be able to say goodbye to Miss Daisy and Mr. Spruce?”

“Of course. I’ll take you down to the orphanage tomorrow to gather your things, and you can say goodbye then, okay?”

Sunset felt herself smile. “And... and I can really live here? And learn magic from you?”

“That’s what being my student entails, yes.”

Sunset felt herself hugging the Princess again. Tears were coming out of her eyes. “Princess... thank you... for everything.”

“Sunset, there’s no need to thank me. It’s my privilege to teach bright foals like you.” Celestia hugged her tight for a bit. “Now, come on. We’ll go to the school and see if your friend got in. Then we can have dinner. I think a big dessert with chocolate cake would make a good treat for your first day here.”

Sunset felt her mouth water. While Miss Daisy made sure they got treats at the orphanage, the budget still meant she didn’t get them as often as she would like, or even as often as the adults would like.

“That sounds... great.”


More memories came through. Finding out Micro Chips got into the school as well, her first dinner with Celestia, saying goodbye to the adults that ran the orphanage, promising to still hang out with Sandalwood.

But the next memory shone brighter. It was nearly a month after she had become Celestia’s student. It had been later than her usual lessons. Celestia had been delayed in court. She told Sunset they could take the night off, but her young student had insisted.

Sunset pushed herself a great deal, and it had ended with the young Unicorn exhausting herself. Celestia started to carry her back to her room, but her sentimental side got to her and she plopped her down on a cushion next to hers. A call to the kitchen later and two mugs of hot chocolate were brought to them.

Sunset took a few sips of her drink, blowing on it to try and cool it to a drinkable temperature. Finally, she looked at her mentor.

It was a bit of a shock. She was looking at the moon with a far off expression. Almost as if it had something it simply could not give her.

“Princess?”

Celestia looked at her. “Yes?”

“Are you okay? You seemed sad.”

“Well... the moon holds a significance for me. I promise I’ll tell you someday.”

Sunset made a face. She didn’t like not knowing something, or being told she wasn’t ready to know something. But she nodded.

After a few more sips, Princess Celestia asked, “How are your studies coming? Are you having any trouble with any of the other teachers?”

“No, Your Highness. They are all very nice, and they like me.”

It was true. The teachers in the academy all held her up as a perfect student. It got scorn from everypony but Micro Chips, but she didn’t care. She didn’t like many of them.

“Are you happy here?”

“Of course,” Sunset said instantly. “I have everything I ever wanted... well, except for...” she glanced down at her flank. Her still blank flank.

“You feel bad that you’re a bit of a late bloomer?”

“Well... it’s not just that. I’m great at magic, why isn’t that my cutie mark? I don’t get it?”

Celestia placed a wing over her student and drew her in close. “Well, do you know what you want to do with all that magic?”

“I... I guess I never really thought about it before. I just always liked to know things.”

“So do you want to be a scholar?”

“No... that sounds way too boring.”

“A wizard, then? Traveling the land, helping ponies and any other creature that needs help?”

Sunset thought a bit. “I guess that sounds good, but I don’t know.”

There was silence for a bit. Celestia let her student mull over her future. After a minute, the little Unicorn spoke. “Princess, how did you get your cutie mark?”

Having been expecting a question like this, Celestia spoke. “When Harmony granted me ascension long ago, she gave me a new cutie mark to show my purpose. The sun not only represents my duty to guide the heavenly bodies, it shows my purpose to guide ponies to peace.”

“Really? What’s being a leader like?”

“It’s a challenge. It involves a lot of sacrifice and hard choices. It requires wisdom, strength, discipline, and courage. It requires actually leading ponies, not dominating them.”

Sunset thought about this for a moment. She was smart... she was powerful... she did work everypony else was too lazy to do... and she wasn’t afraid of anything.

“Are you considering becoming a leader? It’s a hard path...”

Sunset looked at her mentor, the one who had taken her away from the orphanage and given her the love she had so craved. If she were to become a princess, she could be with her mentor all the time.

“Do you think I could?”

“Sunset, I think you could do anything. You’re a special filly.”


She had spent the rest of the night listening to Celestia talk about her history. The next day, a group project was assigned, and she gathered up Micro Chips, Lemony Gems, and Diamond Rose as her partners and proposed an advanced project. The trio was horrified, but with Sunset’s help they made it through.

They had turned it in. The next day, they got their grades. An A-plus, just as Sunset predicted.

Her group members had praised her, calling her a genius and saying they never would have done it without her. She had been so excited she practically skipped to her private lesson with Celestia. There, she excitedly showed off her grade and told her all about what her friends had said.

“I’m very proud of you, Sunset,” Celestia said.

“I know, after everything... my friends were afraid, but I helped them through it.”

“Yes you did, you might...” The princess drifted off as her eyes grew wide.

“Princess?” Sunset asked.

“...Your flank,” she said simply.

Sunset felt her heart race. She looked. There, sitting on her flank, was a sun... her cutie mark.

Celestia would later tell her she had turned around in circles, trying to get a good luck. The princess stopped her by scooping her up and allowing her to rest in her forelegs.

Sunset hugged her back, smiling and crying with happiness. Celestia kissed her on the side of the head. Their lesson was forgotten.

The memories moved forward to a cutieceañera. There were a handful of her friends, but not many her age. She had trouble making friends. Most of the mares were fawning over that idiot Buck Winters. Then there was that nerd group that spent all their free time playing Oubliettes and Ogres. Celestia’s niece seemed nice, but hanging around those airheads Lemony Gems and Diamond Rose knocked her appeal down quite a bit.

Still, there were ponies her age. There were her favorite teachers, supporting their star student. Gloriosa Daisy and Timber Spruce even popped in for an hour to congratulate her. It was one of the happiest memories she had.

Sunset began to sob. This was showing, full force, how well she had been under Celestia’s care. That made what was coming next all the more painful.

The memories went on. She made high marks in all her classes. She started hanging out with Sandalwood less and less. Micro Chips was around longer, being her classmate, but their interactions became more focused around school. Finally, even he stopped talking to her.

Celestia had tried, fairly obviously in hindsight, to push her into social circles. Group assignments, community work for extra credit, anything. No matter what, however, Sunset treated it like an assignment.

Then, the beginning of the end came. During what was supposed to be her last year at the school, she walked into Celestia’s chambers for their evening tea.

After pouring Sunset her preferred tea, Celestia spoke. “Sunset, I wanted to talk to you about something.”

“What a coincidence, I wanted to talk to you about something,” Sunset said.

“Oh?” the Princess answered. “Well then, why don’t you go first?”

Sunset took a deep breath. “Princess, you know I’ve aced every test, exam, and assignment you’ve given me.”

“Indeed you have,” Celestia said. In hindsight, Sunset could hear the tenseness and weariness in her voice, but the past her didn’t.

“And you know I’m far above my grade level, even now. I don’t feel challenged enough.”

“Yes,” Celestia said, worry now in her voice.

“And given that... I think I’m ready to look into the restricted section at the library...”

“Absolutely not.”

The response was so blunt that Sunset wasn’t sure she had heard it at first. Surely the Princess wouldn’t reject her out of hoof like that.

“But Princess...”

“You aren’t ready to have that kind of power.”

“But I’m an excellent magician, and I’m intelligent...”

“I’m aware. That’s not the point. The question is of your maturity.”

“My maturity? How is that in question? Aren’t I responsible?”

“You do all your work and handle every task I give you. But ego and humility are a part of maturity, and you simply don’t have it. You believe you’re entitled to everything because of your skill, but I can tell you, you are not. When you learn those things, I believe you’ll be ready.”

“Fine. So how do I learn those things?”

“You can start by reconnecting with your friends.”

“Why? That’s such a waste of time...”

“My point exactly. I’ve told you exactly what you need to do, yet you insist you know better.”

“But Princess, I’m ready.”

“You are not. Now go review your basics.”

In retrospect, that had been her biggest problem. Even when the obvious answer was being laid before her, she insisted she knew what was best. More memories came, more of her pressing it, more of her refusing to listen.

Finally, the memory that made her cringe. The memory of sneaking into the forbidden section, the memory of what had to be the most childish thing Celestia had ever heard. Then running to Terra.


The next year and a half worth of memories were horrible. Slowly becoming the queen bee of Canterlot High. Bullying everyone. Breaking up a friendship because of a potential danger. Taking advantage of Snips and Snails. Humiliating Rarity. Breaking Flash’s heart. She felt every bit of the shame that had tormented her roar back.

She also saw the shock at seeing Micro Chips and Sandalwood. She refused to go near them, not wanting another reminder of her old life.

Then Princess Twilight came. In just three days she accomplished everything by following the same advice Sunset had ignored. The Elements hit her and made her see the consequences of her actions.

Then, kindness came. From Granny Smith and Applejack first. Then Fluttershy. Then a slumber party at Pinkie's that started very awkward and ended with a pillow fight and her on the floor, laughing for the first time.

She was grateful her nightmare that night hadn’t woken them up.

After her nightmares, she would lie awake, sometimes until morning, wishing. Wishing she was back home, under Celestia’s wing. Wishing she could see Micro Chips and Sandalwood again. Wishing she could crawl into Flash’s arms. She used to find it annoying how clingy he was. Now... oh, she could use a hug. Anyone that she could cry to.

Then she remembered Fluttershy.

She spent the next few days working up the courage to ask Fluttershy what she wanted. It turned out to be unnecessary, as Fluttershy suddenly invited her to her house one night.

She had had dinner with Fluttershy’s family, minus her little brother who was staying at a friend’s place (after meeting Zephyr, the reason she waited until her brother was out of the house was pretty obvious). That night, Sunset began to lay out her sleeping bag, but Fluttershy stopped her.

“Um, Sunset?”

“Yes?”

Fluttershy fidgeted, as if she was having trouble with her words. “Have you... have you been having nightmares?”

Sunset’s eyes widened. “H-how’d you...”

“Um, at Pinkie’s slumber party... I saw you wake up...”

Sunset felt her face heat up. “Don’t tell the others.”

“But you need help...”

“This is my fault. I’ll deal with it.”

Fluttershy just hugged her.

That night, Sunset fell asleep in Fluttershy’s arms, and had her first peaceful night’s sleep. It sadly didn’t stick.

Over the next few months, Fluttershy invited Sunset over at every opportunity, which Sunset realized, in hindsight, meant every time Zephyr wasn’t home. Sunset’s comfort during these times was immense. So much that part of her wanted to ask Fluttershy to make the relationship more romantic. Her guilt always prevented her from asking.

In the end, it turned out for the best. The Sirens came and went, and once recovered, Sunset decided that while she would always love Fluttershy, it wasn’t in a romantic way.


The Sirens leaving was another memory that stood out. After they had run off that stage, Princess Twilight had insisted on tracking them down for a second chance.

“Are you serious?” Rainbow Dash had said. “After everything they’ve done?”

Princess Twilight opened her mouth to reply, but Sunset’s answer got out first. “You gave me a second chance.”

That silenced Rainbow Dash, and any other objections. They all agreed to split up and look.

It wasn’t hard to find the Sirens, as they had stopped to angrily blame each other for their failure. Sunset and Fluttershy walked up to them, initially unnoticed in the shouting. Which was just as well, as Sunset suddenly realized she had no clue what to say about this.

Finally, Adagio noticed her. “What do you want? Haven’t you ruined our lives enough for one night?”

Sunset stayed strong under the three glares the now human girls were giving her. “No. You ruined your own lives. But it’s not too late to start again...”

“Oh spare us,” Aria said. “You sound some like some lame after-school special.”

Sunset looked at Fluttershy, hoping she would chime in, but she seemed too nervous to speak. Summoning up her wits, she turned back to the trio. “I used to be like you, but look now at me. I turned everything around, and so can you.”

“Yeah, like we’d want to hang around here,” Adagio said. Sonata stuck her tongue out, looking more like a five-year-old than a teenager.

“You really should. There will be people here who can help you...”

Aria looked down her nose at her. “We’ve never needed help from anyone, least of all some creature that can’t even use magic. You fakers might have borrowed some from Equestria, but you’re still stupid.”

Sunset took a deep breath. She couldn’t fail here. “Please, I’m asking for your own...”

She didn’t see Adagio spit at her until it was too late. Sunset fell back in shock, wiping her face. By the time she looked up, the Sirens were walking away.

This time, she didn’t bother.

Princess Twilight found them a few minutes later. When Sunset had told her what had happened, she looked disappointed, but she swallowed her sadness.

“Princess Celestia always told me that you can’t help everypony. Just... don’t worry. If they come back, give them another chance, but don’t lose sleep over it.”

But Sunset did lose sleep. For months afterwards, until the Friendship Games, she replayed that memory in her mind, sometimes it ran through her mind several times as she lay in bed at night, trying to sleep. Despite what Twilight said, she sometimes wondered if it was a failure of hers. After all, she had once been just like the Sirens, and she was shown the way.

Could Princess Twilight have done it? Could she have convinced the Sirens to come peacefully? Would they have been by their side at the Friendship Games? Could they have been spared from their torture?


The images faded and Sunset found herself in tears. All the memories that had come to her at once, all the conflicting emotions, were far too much to process.

Celestia’s wing wrapped around her. She looked up to see her mother hugging her close. Through the blur of tears, she saw Twilight under the opposite wing. She was crying too.

Confusion must have shown on her face, because Celestia leaned in and whispered, “Twilight never got her perspective trip. As you’ve been seeing your past, she’s been seeing hers.”

Sunset couldn’t speak. She just cried.

After what seemed like an eternity, Harmony spoke.

Do you understand now, my child?

Sunset sniffed as she looked up. “I... I don’t think so.”

For all the mistakes you’ve made, you’ve grown. You’ve come to embody a very important Element. When you stood tall in front of Midnight Sparkle, you did so not only for the sake of those she was terrorizing, but also for her own sake as well. When the Sirens ran, you tried to help them. When they came back, you not only helped them, you cared for them, despite their sins.

You’ve proved yourself well, my Alicorn of Empathy

Sunset felt a warmth inside of her. Despite her sadness, she felt like a burden had been lifted.

The five of you have made me proud. Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Twilight, Sunset. You have many trials ahead, but I do not doubt you will make me proud.

“Can you tell us what the Changelings are planning?” Twilight asked, choking back a sob.

Even overwhelmed, you’re still focused. You really are an admirable pony. But you know I don’t interfere further with mortal affairs. Have faith in yourself, child.

“...Okay,” she said at last.

You’ve been given a chance to reflect on your past. Take the opportunity to reflect on it. You might find the answers to your problems.


That evening at Twilight’s castle wasn’t as lively as before, with the two younger Princesses still feeling melancholy. When it was time for bed, Twilight sought out Flash for comfort. Seeing this, Sunset decided to find Celestia.

She peered into her room in time to catch the older Alicorn crying. It wasn’t silent tears either, they streamed down her face in between sobs.

“Mom?”

Celestia jumped, turning to see her daughter in the doorway. “S-Sunset...”

There was an awkward silence as the two stared at each other, until finally Sunset voiced the obvious conclusion.

“It wasn’t just Twilight and I that had the visions... it was you, too.”

Celestia was still for a few moments, but she eventually gave a small, almost unnoticeable nod.

“I am required, along with Luna, to have them every time a new Alicorn ascends. Harmony didn’t press me for Twilight’s, so this was my first since Cadance.”

“But... that’s barely a decade...”

“And it was full with happy memories, but just as many painful ones. Failing you as a mother... having to send Twilight away... nearly getting Twilight killed twice, at her brother’s wedding and again when Tirek escaped, and both times Equestria nearly fell...”

Sunset was on the bed before she knew it, nuzzling her mother. “Why didn’t you tell us?”

Celestia draped her wing over Sunset. “I wanted to be strong. For you, and for Twilight.”

Sunset didn’t speak again. She just nuzzled her mother.

They fell asleep shortly afterward.

Author's Note:

Okay, time to get real: I thought this chapter would be cake, but it ended up being the hardest chapter yet to write. Partly it was because of real life stuff (school and finals, taxes, BABSCon, etc.), it was really getting all this to flow. And while I'm really happy with some parts, especially Sunset's entrance exam, I'm not completely sure about it. So critique is welcome.