• Published 25th Jun 2012
  • 12,011 Views, 1,211 Comments

Ascension - cloudedguardian



Celestia is dying. Or at least it seems so. Afflicted with a curse that is destroying her very nature, she sets a plan in action. The Bearers of the Elements of Harmony will take the throne in her wake... Not that they know that yet...

  • ...
34
 1,211
 12,011

By The Stars

A/N: A reader linked this to me, and before I knew it, it became the unofficial theme song for this chapter. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

By The Stars




Shadows danced along stone walls, to the soft drum beat of falling hoof-steps. The torches burned brightly in their alcoves, their flames tinting blue as the Lunar Princess walked by them.

Luna sighed softly as she descended into the Eternal Archives. Her heart-beat was still beating faster than it probably should. Even now, panic tugged at her gut, and tears bit at the edge of her eyes. As another torch went from fiery red to a comforting blue, Luna shook her head at herself. I can not even steady my emotions enough to prevent my magic from influencing the world around me. How am I supposed to be of any use like this?

Her mind drifted back to that afternoon. Celestia had scared her so badly, passing out so suddenly like that. For a minute, Luna didn’t understand what had occurred. She had called to her elder sister, gently shaking her, panicking when feeling how cold Celestia had become. Then, the sight of white feathers rustling as Celestia took a slow breath in her dreamless sleep. Only then did Luna remember to breath herself, a slow choked inhale through sobs that eased her fears and reminded her that things could still be alright.

She promised herself, right then and there, that no matter what, she would save her sister. She would keep her promise to help Twilight and her friends, but she would not be their sole advisor. Rage bubbled in her chest as she caught her reflection in an old mirror that had been stored outside the archives; Tired eyes and tear-streaked fur.

You will pay for this Chrysalis… For every tear we have shed, you will pay in blood. One way or another. Luna hissed to herself, and the anger she felt was subdued by her quiet oath.

The old oaken doors swung forward to the bid of her magic, and she stepped through with steely determination. Turquoise eyes searched the hundred of bookshelves for the single brown book of celestial ruins that their parents had left them. After an hour of searching, she finally found it. It was nearly the size of Twilight, and Luna nearly laughed with the mental image of what her discovery of this book would be like. Feeling encouraged by the familiar scent of the books and the nostalgic sight of her parents' writing, Luna set the tome down on the reading table, and began to read.

The Sun was wishing to be risen by the time Luna straightened up and rubbed her tired eyes. She had found the only answer, the single path out… However, it still held a dire cost. Her gaze went back to the ancient pages, and settled on the blurred ink and damaged spots that splattered the page. Signs of tears, and of a desperate hope and grief. Luna let out a slow breath as she ran her hoof gently across the old parchment. Did you know, Mother, Father? That I would need what you wrote with such careful care, even as you begged the heavens above that it would never be needed nor wanted?

Thank you… With a careful and gentle movement, the book was swung shut, as Luna made up her mind. Perhaps a wish could still be granted through all these curses and darkness.

~~~


From the top of the Lunar tower, Luna did the unfamiliar task of raising her sister’s sun. Although she had aided Celestia in the sunrise in the past month, she had never done it alone, and the feel of the warm rays were foreboding to her.

I wonder if this is how Tia felt the first night after my banishment. Alone and scared, as if even the magic we were using was to turn against us… In a way, it’s bitterly ironic. All those centuries ago, in my foolishness and greed, frustration and loneliness, I wanted the night to last forever… To be cloaked in my friends the stars, and for my work to be praised as my sister’s was. If I knew what patience was, even if I had not seen the truth- Luna couldn’t help but snort a little. Or for that matter been blasted with it… I would have had the opportunity to not only make my dreams come true, but be praised as a hero as I did so. What would I have called it, that path’s outcome? What did that one fanatic pony call it..? Ah yes, “A Lunar Republic.”

And yet here I stand, before what could so easily by the very eve of my old self’s dream, and I wish for nothing more than for things to continue as they have for the past year, and how things should have continued for the next millennium. How bitter irony can be.

The sun’s bright rays, peeking through clouds going from a mournful red to a soft white, made Luna’s watering eyes burn. As she blinked and turned away, an unbidden tear fell, and she brushed it away as she prepared the spells she would need mentally.

Then, she looked down at the still-sleeping Canterlot, and let out a slow breath, filled with worries and fears. Closing her eyes, she carefully split off a little more than half her powers, putting with it the discord and hatred she felt in her heart. She took it right out of herself, and granted it form, before releasing it as a beautiful shadow and moonlight filled dragon that wheeled off towards the Everfree and its new homes.

Luna turned and walked back to her room to find the things she would need for the spell her parents had so painstakingly recorded. There was no rush. She knew Twilight, they would be here not a minute after she had lowered her moon for what would probably be the last time. In fact, due to all the chaos everypony had gone through these past few weeks, they might even be here sooner. As she slowly passed the carved mirrors that decorated the one side of her room on her way to where she kept her artifacts, they showed her that she once again held the filly form that the Element's had granted her on the night of her return. It was yet another simple irony, one that wasn't so bitter.

Time for the Alicorns had always moved at an indescribable pace, one only another Alicorn could understand. Now, however, it seemed to move at the frantically terrifying pace of mortals, and it felt as if every step was ticking down on some grand clock that even her parents knew not of.

Even through all this, Luna kept her calm with a simple oath she had made to the dimming dawn’s sparkle as her sister’s sun had taken the Day.

By the Stars that our father has appointed me, I will save you, My Dearest Sister.