• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 12,668 Views, 2,329 Comments

Bad Dude And The Coalition Of United Terrible Evils - naturalbornderpy



Super villain Bad Dude attempts to create Equestria's first ever super villain group. But were villains ever truly meant to play nice with one another?

  • ...
42
 2,329
 12,668

The Night Is Dark And Full Of Flying Unicorns

Nightmare Moon stood up from her makeshift throne and took a single step in the other villains’ direction. A sly smirk was held firm on her lips… until it softened into a grimace and she glanced down at her foreleg. While she wasn’t looking, Bad Dude had latched his entire body around her. Again and again he rubbed his small face into her fur; almost as if continually reassuring himself that she was physically there and whole.

Nightmare Moon… so awesome… Nightmare Moon… I can’t believe it…

Bad Dude kept his eyes shut and his voice little more than a whisper.

Nightmare Moon furrowed her brows and gave her leg a small shake. Bad Dude didn’t budge a single inch. She looked at the rest of the villains in the room. “What is he doing?”

Sombra snorted. “I would not worry yourself too much about that, Luna.”

Nightmare Moon!” she spat back. “Princess Luna is gone and buried.”

“That is still to be seen,” Sombra replied evenly, before returning to her original query. “Bad Dude has a terrible tendency of becoming overly excited every time a new villain decides to join our little group. Namely: he hugs the poor soul until he tires himself out and eventually releases them.” He flicked his glowing pupils in Chrysalis’ direction. “You passed out when he did that to you, didn’t you, dear?”

“Bad Dude had me around the neck for forty minutes straight.” Chrysalis absently rubbed at the area around her throat. “It was only when my children pried him off that I could breathe properly again.”

Unperturbed by the facts at hoof, Nightmare Moon gave her besieged leg another hearty shake.

Bad Dude slid down less than an inch. “Nightmare Moon… she’s here and she’s so cool… Nightmare Moon… I’m gonna need more black and blue drawing pencils for sure now…

Suddenly, Nightmare Moon gasped and looked down again. Bad Dude’s three changeling friends had joined alongside him, each laying claim to a single one of her limbs. The three of them copied Bad Dude’s mannerisms move for move.

“And what about them?” she asked.

Chrysalis casually waved a hoof. “My children are only mimicking Bad Dude. It’s one of their favorite games to play with him. They look up to him in a way. Which is actually rather silly once you think about it… them being taller than him and all.”

Nightmare Moon gritted her teeth. “This is most undignified. The great Nightmare Moon is not merely some foalsitter for grabby little children. She is—”

“Not Nightmare Moon at all?” Discord questioned snidely. “Instead Luna in terrible disguise?”

“As I said before, the weak and frail mare known as Luna is gone,” Nightmare Moon said. “She could see full well the changing of the tide and decided to change along with it. Soon the heroes of Equestria will be overwhelmed and the darkness held at bay will again be free to spread and coerce each and every pony in the land. And Nightmare Moon wishes to be a part of that—to spread her own brand of darkness for all to witness and to be consumed by.” A faint blush rose on her cheeks. “She also wishes for a throne much larger than her sister’s… like three times larger, in fact.”

Discord’s eyes rolled around loosely in his skull. “Now you’re just being silly, Luna Moon. A throne that large wouldn’t even be comfortable anymore. But onto more important items at hand… or hoof… or whatever.” He crossed both arms behind his back and started strolling across the room. “It should come as little surprise that none of us believe you are actually who you say you are. A tad convenient wouldn’t you agree? That the Coalition of United Terrible Evils sets up a competition to find its latest member and you end up being the one to get the invite? Luna who is also Nightmare Moon; Luna who is also sister to Celestia; Luna who is also good friends with the Elements of Harmony and proud protector of the realm.”

For a small moment, Bad Dude’s quiet snores underneath Nightmare Moon pulled at their attention. How he’d managed to fall asleep and remain locked onto her leg was anyone’s guess. Tic, Tac, and Toe copied him almost instantly, nodding off as well.

Nightmare Moon curled a lip at Discord. “As if you are one to talk, Discord. Or should I refer to you with your most well-known title: Discord the Traitor?”

Behind Discord, Tirek’s heavily lined face looked up expectantly. Discord, meanwhile, smiled so thinly it was as if his lips had completely disappeared from his face. “Is that how we’re going to proceed? Really?”

Nightmare Moon nodded. “I see no reason to be civil or polite to any of you this night; I am a villain, after all, and hurt feelings mean next to nothing to me. Your group has power and I want to be a part of that power, simple as that. And if that means proving to you all that I am who I say I am, then I will do just that.” She narrowed her dark eyes at Discord. “You were bad and then you were good. Then you were bad again and once again good. And now you’re an honest to Celestia real ‘villain’ again? I had no idea creatures other than fish could flip and flop around so much.” She barked out a single laugh and stared at the rest of them. “If there is anyone here whose allegiance should be up for debate, it should be his. For all we know he could merely be corralling every villain in the land to stuff inside Princess Celestia’s Villain Reformer 3000 Machine.”

Sombra leveled a hoof at her. “A-ha! I knew that fat white cow was working on a villain reforming machine!”

Chrysalis gave him a reassuring pat on the back. “I believe she was only being sarcastic, Sombra. I’m sure we would’ve heard the screams by now if such a machine existed.”

“You want to tango, Little Miss Moon Pie? Is that it?” Discord cracked his knuckles as he glared at her. His nostrils flared and batches of bright fire erupted in the empty sockets where his eyeballs should’ve been. “Trying to discredit me in front of my own team? Trying to turn them all against me!?”

The room was quieted when someone began clapping dryly. Tirek, sluggishly, moved to the center of the room to stand between the two fuming parties. There he stopped clapping. “Nicely done, Nightmare Moon… Luna… whoever you want to be at the moment. But as an ageing centaur with a great need for this group at the present time, I simply cannot allow you to sully its good name so soon. You were not there when the Crystal Empire fell. You were not there the day that Discord and the rest of us laid waste to it.” His weathered eyes went from Discord to Nightmare Moon and back. “If Discord was truly a spy in our ranks—which would be rather hard to believe, considering how badly he’d want to share that juicy nugget of information with anyone that would stop and listen—then I doubt he would be allowed back into Celestia’s good graces after what he did there. Or what he allowed to happen there. If Discord was still good, he would’ve put a stop to us all long ago. Or how they say: have spilt the beans long before today. Of this, I am sure.”

Tirek flinched when Discord laid his claws on his shoulder.

“Tirek’s right,” Discord said. “So—”

That was when his eyes opened wide and he violently vomited onto the floor. A minute or so later, when the contents of his stomach had all been left out on display, he stood back up with a groan and hastily wiped at his mouth. Two thin trails of blood now ran from his nostrils to his chin.

“Sorry about that,” Discord said tiredly. “My body must’ve rebelled against me once I agreed with something Tirek had said. With luck it shouldn’t happen again.” He smirked at Nightmare Moon. “Nice try. What else you got?”

“Him.” Lifting her leg up, Nightmare Moon held the slumbering Bad Dude up into the air as if he were some secret weapon. “He believes I am who I say I am.”

Discord grunted. “Bad Dude still believes Starswirl the Bearded gives out toys to everyone on Hearth’s Warming Eve. He’d be your best friend if you simply gave him a cookie!” He giggled underneath his breath. “Did you know that’s actually how the two of us first met?”

Enough!” Sombra roared, hurriedly silencing the room. In the blink of an eye he dissipated into dark smoke and reformed himself less than an inch away from Nightmare Moon, holding his hoof out to her. “If you are truly who you say you are, then you’ll be able to complete my test without fail. You see my hoof?”

Nightmare Moon raised a sharp brow. “Yes…”

“Give it the official villains’ hoofshake, then. If you are truly one of us, then it should be no problem for you.”

Nightmare Moon opened her mouth to laugh, but halted once she noted the stern and expressionless faces of everyone in the room. Even Discord—normally the most vivid of the bunch—held a stare so grave it was as if he’d suddenly been marched before a unicorn firing squad.

“Official villains’ hoofshake?” Nightmare Moon repeated softly.

Sombra nodded with a smile. “We all know it. Don’t you? All villains know it, from the very worst to the very best.”

Seriously?” Nightmare Moon hissed, so that only Sombra would hear.

He only continued to smile.

Nightmare Moon sighed, and slowly, tentatively, she held out her own hoof—the one still gripped by the peacefully slumbering Bad Dude—and quickly tapped it against his.

“Well done,” Sombra spoke. “You have passed the test.”

Seriou—” Nightmare Moon began again, before Chrysalis flew next to Sombra with a grin.

She held a single cupcake out to her, one of the leftovers from the party. “Care for a snack? It has been a rather… adventurous evening, has it not?”

Nightmare Moon waved the treat away. “The Nightmare needs no nourishment from you. She is fueled by pure hatred and envy! Wrath and despair! As well as the bowl of chips and dip she had less than twenty minutes ago!”

Chrysalis and Sombra exchanged glances, and Chrysalis told her, “Very well, you are now two for two. All villains must watch their figures and must therefore turn down even the sweetest of desserts. Can’t very well ask for a five minute breather in the middle of a heated battle, can we?” She paused. “Well, Discord eats whatever he pleases, but Discord doesn’t really play by most conventional rules.”

Discord lifted a fist toward the ceiling. “That’s right! I eat sweets whenever I want, darn it! No matter what anyone says!” He held a hand up to his mouth as if admitting some nasty secret. “The trick is sending all the food I eat directly into the stomachs of ponies trying to lose weight. I stay neat and trim while they have no idea why their health shakes aren’t working!”

Nightmare Moon put a hoof to her temple and gave her head a shake. “None of you are how I imagined you’d be.”

“How true.” Chrysalis wrapped a foreleg around Sombra’s neck. “The history books describe King Sombra as someone rather cold and ruthless, but the truth is that he’s actually rather cold and ruthless… and the smallest bit cute once you warm him up a bit.” She gave Sombra’s temple a small kiss, never taking her eyes off Nightmare Moon. Then she mouthed the words so don’t try anything or I’ll feed you to my hive so only she would see.

Nightmare Moon only smiled in return and said not a word.

When Bad Dude finally fell away from Nightmare Moon’s leg, all of them peered to the floor. A moment later, Tic, Tac, and Toe did the same, snoring and snoozing and appearing overall peaceful. It was a cute sight, Nightmare Moon found; an odd sight, too, given the present company in the room.

“Time for bed,” Discord announced.

***

Shining Armor’s mouth popped open the moment Nightmare Moon entered through the mouth of Discord’s flying fortress. What followed his mouth in a downwards direction next were his shoulders and his head, and eventually the contents of his stomach. Lastly his knees buckled underneath him and he found himself thinly spread out along the cold stone floor. He couldn’t have gotten back to his hooves if he’d wanted to. He felt completely and utterly gutted in that moment.

As he walked past him Discord stepped onto his back, making him wheeze. “Shining must’ve deflated while we were out,” he remarked. “Anyone know where that extra air pump went?”

In the middle of the fortress’ foyer, Nightmare Moon came to a sudden stop and held a hoof to her muzzle. “Shining Armor?”

Somehow hearing Nightmare Moon speak his name brought Shining Armor back to his hooves. At first the sight of her had made him sad—another of the good guys being swayed to the side of evil?—but now he only felt mad. Also angry and pissed off and… and… and too mad to even ponder up another term to describe himself with!

Shining shoved a hoof into Nightmare Moon’s chest. “Really? Really?” he trumpeted. “You were back for… what? A couple years at best and now you’re already going all Nightmare Moon on us? Again?” He tapped on her chest plate angrily. “You still felt neglected? Was that it? How!? Ponies freaking love you, Luna! You know how many foals dress up as you for Nightmare Night? Dress up as Princess Luna and not Nightmare Moon?”

Nightmare Moon frowned heavily and shoved his leg away. “I believe you’re oversimplifying things.”

“Am I really, though?” Shining’s eyes bugged out from his head as he continued to rant. “Misunderstood? Neglected? Is that what brought this relapse on? You know how many times Cadence and I invited you over for dinner? Or to the Crystal Empire for a nice getaway weekend? It was you that never showed up, Luna! We had the guest bed made and everything! Got in your favorite breakfast cereal, too!”

Nightmare Moon pursed her lips. “Luna was… busy at the time. I’m sure she regrets—”

Now Shining was literally pacing around the foyer, one hoof raised high above his head as if that somehow acted as a visual exclamation point to aid in his speech. “I know what this is about! I know exactly what this is about! You got sick of ruling, didn’t you? You spend a thousand years on the moon doing next to nothing, and the moment you return, Celestia has you cleaning up all of Equestria’s bureaucratic nonsense! Now instead of slaying dragons, you’re slaying mountains of paperwork! Now no Discord’s to get stoned! Now no new foreign lands to discover, either!”

“Isn’t it Twilight Sprinkle that does all that stuff now?” Chrysalis murmured to Sombra.

Sparkle!” Shining corrected sharply.

Chrysalis grinned. “I know what I said, sweetie.”

Shining continued, “You just think that since the Elements took your old job, you’d go right where the action is! What better way to shake things up than by turning into a villain again, right? Isn’t that exactly what this is?” A bead of sweat rolled down his face. His cheeks flushed crimson. “Well, you know what, Nightmare Moon? I’m gonna tell you something that I’ve never said to anyone before—something so mean and terrible I hope it haunts you for the rest of your days!”

He stormed across the room and stopped only when his snout bumped into hers.

“I think you suck and I don’t like you anymore.”

Nightmare Moon gave him a half-smile. “Is that so?”

“It is.”

She turned away from him, and found Bad Dude curled up atop Tirek’s back, using his cape as both a blanket and a pillow. She met Tirek’s gaze. “I don’t wish for Bad Dude to see what happens next. Take him somewhere where he won’t disturb us.”

“It is late enough already,” Tirek replied. “Bad Dude should’ve been back in bed long ago. I’ll see he gets there.” Then he exited the room with Bad Dude in tow.

Shining Armor’s lips flipped uncontrollably between a smile and a grimace. He gulped dryly. “What are you going to do to me?”

“For insulting Nightmare Moon like you have?” the villainess spoke to him delicately. “How about I show you the moon? All of it? I know it must be rather full this evening, and I’d just hate to have you miss out on it.”

Behind Nightmare Moon, Discord swiftly ran out from the room as fast as his thin legs would carry him. “I need popcorn!” he shouted back. “Right this instant! Something interesting is about to happen! Don’t do anything until I get back, okay?”

***

The cool wind on the fortress’ roof whipped Shining’s long mane around his head. He quivered out a breath and watched as his hooves trembled on his lap. Underneath him was the basket to the catapult the Coalition used to loft heavy objects into the sky to blast to bits with their magic. Now it appeared as if they’d planned on firing him out into the night air instead.

“I take back what I said!” Shining yelped. “I don’t think you suck! In fact, I think you’re cool now! Super cool!”

“That’s nice.” Nightmare Moon flashed her fangs at him; the light from the full moon above making them glint in the pitch-black dark. Her hoof rested on the catapult’s only lever. “But a little late, I’m afraid.”

By the lip of the roof, Chrysalis growled deep in her throat. “We’re not really going to let this happen, are we? Shining’s our hostage. We were going to do things with him! Ransom or something of the sort!”

Sombra laughed happily beside her. “As much as I had wanted to torture the imbecilic Prince myself, I can’t help but find death by catapult most hilarious. It’s almost like throwing smelly trash away. I approve wholeheartedly.”

A thin arm wrapped around Sombra’s side. With his other hand, Discord stuffed as much fresh popcorn into his mouth as he could fit in there before he choked. “For once, I agree with King Crystal Method here. This is fun! We should’ve shot Shining off the roof ages ago! I wonder how many flips he’ll do before he lands.” Then he laughed and ate another handful of popcorn. “Think he’ll be able to see his house from here?”

“But… but…” Chrysalis muttered. “What about my unicorn sandwich?”

Sombra looked at her uneasily. “Your what?”

Nightmare Moon stomped a hoof against the roof. “Enough talk! It has been too long since Equestria has feared the likes of Nightmare Moon! But not after tonight!”

That was when Nightmare Moon leaned forward and whispered three short sentences into Shining’s ear. In the midst of his loud blubbering, Shining suddenly ceased and took a second to study her. Then he blinked and went back to his continued sobs.

“Scream for me, Prince!”

Nightmare Moon yanked on the lever and the basket to the catapult shot up and ejected Shining Armor faster than anyone’s eyes could follow. As he screamed and went plot over tea kettle again and again into the darkened night sky (his flailing silhouette momentarily overlapping the perfectly white moon), Discord counted on his fingers each and every time he completed a flip. Regretfully, he lost count after a full thirty-two rotations.

“Oh, those screams bring me back,” Chrysalis spoke dreamily. “You know I almost married that unicorn?”

“We know, we know,” Discord replied dryly, “but sadly he’s now married to the ground. And from what I understand, they’re in a rather committed relationship.” He waited for someone to laugh. “Get it? Because he smashed into the Earth and died? Because he won’t have anymore relationships afterward on account of being so dead? Anyone? Anyone at all?”

No one on the roof answered him. Chrysalis and Sombra seemed too occupied at the time.

Nightmare Moon took her hoof off the lever with a sigh.

“All this murder has made me famished. What is the food situation in this place?”

Author's Note:

I can't think of anything mildly interesting to write here. Hmm. How's everyone doing? Read any good books lately? I'm re-reading Clive Barker's "The Thief Of Always" at the moment. Haven't read that one since I was a kid. Still good. Very much like "Coraline".

Blah, blah, blah. Words, words, words. Guest staring Nightmare Moon. Voiced by Tilda Swinton. Why not.