• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 12,675 Views, 2,329 Comments

Bad Dude And The Coalition Of United Terrible Evils - naturalbornderpy



Super villain Bad Dude attempts to create Equestria's first ever super villain group. But were villains ever truly meant to play nice with one another?

  • ...
42
 2,329
 12,675

A Day In The Life

Shining Armor awoke with a bad headache and the faint images of a small colt still floating around inside of his head. Or had there actually been four of them? It didn’t matter now. It had all been a dream, hadn’t it? A very long and vivid and terrible dream involving the Crystal Empire being attacked by the Coalition of United Terrible—

“Oh, crap,” Shining muttered when he first felt the ropes binding his forelegs and back legs together. He opened his eyes and found himself in a small room made of stone—a lone window to his side that gave him a view outside. A puffy cloud sailed across the window making Shining gasp. Wherever he’d been taken to, it must’ve been high.

Sliding his rump from side to side, Shining noted the wooden chair underneath him; the ropes held him tight to it. He then tried to use his horn on the binds, but found his horn giving him no answer whatsoever. There must’ve been something blocking his use of magic.

Before Shining could do any more plotting on his own, the door to the room opened and a smaller changeling entered donning an apron. The moment it entered, the changeling narrowed its black eyes at him, before it moved towards a covered table on the other side of the room.

A bead of sweat trickled down Shining’s temple. “I want to see Cadence! Tell me where she is! Is she here, too?”

The changeling paid him no mind. Instead, it unfurled a bit of cloth on the table and retrieved a metal frying pan to awkwardly hold in its hooves. Slowly, it made its way towards him.

Shining gulped dryly. “So it’s torture, then? I can promise you now that I won’t tell you anything! I mean… it’s not like I know anything all that important—Cadence handles most of the important stuff. So, maybe don’t torture me? I mean, what’s the point if I don’t know anything, right? Why even waste your time? I know! Let’s have a picnic instead! I make a mean potato salad! Ask anyone!”

It seemed as though Shining’s patented “Potato Salad Defense” had done its job once more. The changeling with the frying pan returned to the covered table to grab a second item—a far worse item, Shining soon discovered.

The changeling held the short knife he’d grabbed in front of Shining.

Shining shook his head adamantly. “Let’s go back to the frying pan! I like the frying pan much better! Is this because I kicked you during the battle? Are you the changeling I kicked?”

Wordlessly, the changeling returned to the table and used its horn to light a small burner hidden underneath the cloth. It set the frying pan down on top of it and used the knife it held to cut a chunk of butter onto the sizzling pan. It returned to Shining holding three pictures out to him: one of blueberries, one of strawberries, and one of bananas.

“I don’t understand!” Shining yelped. “You want to know where the Empire’s secret fruit stock is? Even I don’t know that! All we have is lemons, damn it!”

The changeling held the pictures closer to him.

“All right! I admit it!” Shining continued on sadly. “I’m a fraud! All I do is smile and wave while Cadence does all the hard stuff. I’m just supposed to look good and make sure my uniform isn’t wrinkly or—”

“Good morning, Mr. Armor!”

At once, Shining stopped talking and found Bad Dude standing in the doorway, a wide smile on his face. He entered and stopped at the changeling’s side.

“You figure out what you want for breakfast yet?” Bad Dude asked him. “It’s Crepe Monday, so Tac’s going to make us all crepes. You can have strawberry or blueberry or even banana. Or you could be like me and get one with all three in it! Also whipped cream and icing sugar on top.”

Shining shook his head. “I’m not interested in breakfast.”

Bad Dude angled his head to the side, confused. “Really? Because you should be. Tac here makes great crepes! And breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Didn’t anyone ever tell you that before?” A sudden thought came to him. “Oh! And before I forget—since you’re my first real hostage and all—can I call you Shining instead of Mr. Armor? I don’t want to be rude or anything. You can call me Bad Dude if you like. Or just Dude because it’s shorter.”

Now it was Shining’s turn to look confused. “You’re worried about seeming rude when you and your team just kidnapped me? You must realize I don’t actually want to be here, right? I’d much rather be in the Crystal Empire with my wife.”

Bad Dude shook his head. “I know, but maybe you’ll end up changing your mind while you’re with us. We weren’t able to capture the Empire this time, but maybe next time we’ll do better.” He giggled. “You’re my first hostage, so I really don’t want to screw it up! But I promise we’ll have lots of fun during your stay.”

Shining raised a brow. “So no torture?”

“Torture?” Bad Dude had to ponder on that. “You mean like when Discord sings karaoke?”

Shining pursed his lips. “Not exactly.”

Bad Dude strolled behind him and Shining felt his binds loosen.

“Let’s get you out of here and go have breakfast with the others.”

***

Shining Armor had been to awkward meals before. Like the first time he’d had dinner with Cadence’s parents or when he’d been invited to Canterlot for wine and cheese with the Princesses and Twilight. But those had been rather simple compared to this. Mind your manners. Answer any question that is asked of you. Use your napkin in excess. Don’t use any Earth pony slurs. Don’t drink so much wine that you think Earth pony slurs are okay suddenly.

But what was he supposed to do in this situation exactly?

“You untied him?” King Sombra asked at the other end of the table. “Why? You really want him roaming around our fortress?”

By Sombra’s side, Chrysalis smiled thinly. “I agree. I much rather preferred seeing Shining bound and gagged. Call me old-fashioned like that.”

To Shining’s left, Bad Dude had plunked his whole head to his plate of crepes so he could devour them noisily. He looked up with whipped cream covering his cheeks. “Why would we want to keep Shining tied up all day? He’s our guest and we should be treating him as such.”

Sombra grumbled and continued to chew on his blackberry crepes without much emotion. Meanwhile, Chrysalis kept her eyes directly on Shining—exactly what she’d been doing ever since he’d entered their eating room.

Although Shining had never given any breakfast order, the changeling known as “Tac” still gave him a plateful of the sweet stuff and shoved it towards him. It looked like the loaded version Bad Dude had recommended and Shining found he couldn’t stop his stomach from rumbling because of it. Eventually, he took a bite… and then another… and then another until he’d nearly cleared his plate. He found eating to be more of a chore than usual due to not having the use of his horn anymore.

“Like the sock?” Discord asked him playfully, after he’d given life to his plate of crepes and made them all fight each other to the death—blueberry versus strawberry versus banana. The first two to lose, Discord ate. Then he ate the last one regardless after congratulating it and promising it a nice place in Valhalla. “It’s one of my personal polka dot ones.”

Shining wasn’t completely sure what Discord meant until he glanced up and saw something red and brown above him. As it turned out, a long sock had been placed over his horn—what must’ve been cutting off his magic.

“Can’t have you trying to escape or hurt us, can I?” Discord said with a chuckle.

“So what’s stopping me from taking it off?” Shining asked, before he reached up and did just that. Holding the smelly sock in his hoof, he angled his horn at Sombra and tried firing something at him—only for nothing at all to happen.

Discord snorted. “Come on, Shining! Get a grip! You think I’d only have one ‘magic stopping’ sock in stock?”

Glancing up again, Shining found another sock atop his horn—one which he quickly removed. Underneath that second sock was another sock… and another… and another… and by the sixth, he stopped trying altogether and left the sock where it was.

Shining’s shoulders slumped and he sagged against his chair.

This wasn’t what he’d been expecting at all—which was somehow making him worry even more. Upon discovering he’d been kidnapped by four of the worst monsters in all of Equestria, he’d expected horrors the likes no one had ever seen before. Rather than any of that, he was getting the exact opposite of it.

After their changeling chef had served up Lord Tirek’s breakfast, it’d received a warm head scratch in return. Even the nefarious and brooding Sombra had given Tac a small token of affection after being served. Shining looked across the table and found nothing in front of Chrysalis, but that wasn’t anything surprising—changelings fed off of emotions, after all. What was surprising was that Sombra and Bad Dude ended up being the ones responsible for that nourishing emotion: Bad Dude nuzzling into Chrysalis’ neck while Sombra kissed her delicately on the temple and cheek.

“This is weird!” Shining trumpeted, completely out of his control.

“What’s weird, my little snowflake?” Chrysalis cooed. “Breakfast with villains? The fact that we aren’t all trying to tear each other into tiny bits in search of more power?”

Shining nodded hurriedly. “Yes! That! Exactly that!”

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. “So that’s what you were expecting? For all of us to be villainous caricatures? Mere yelling and laughing brutes with only revenge on the mind at all times? Oh, Shining. Honey bun. That hurts. We do have a life outside of trying to ruin yours, you know. Consider our villainous acts like a hobby of sorts.”

“I’d much rather you all spent your time on something like knitting than attacking the innocent,” Shining stated bluntly.

“I knit sometimes,” Tirek spoke softly. “I’m almost halfway through my first scarf, if anyone wants one.”

Bad Dude anxiously raised a hoof. “I want one! A blue one, please!”

Tirek nodded. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“Seriously!?” Shining chirped. “Knitting and scarves? Crepe Mondays? Gooey displays of affection? This is what Equestria is in fear of?”

“Well,” Sombra growled, “we did do quite the number on that Empire of yours… or what used to be my Empire.”

Shining felt a lump form in his throat and decided not to press things further. It was quickly becoming clear who was somewhat on his side and who’d rather see him lifeless and dead. He’d have to stick close to Bad Dude while remaining as far away from Sombra as he could. And probably keep a safe distance away from Chrysalis, too. He could still feel her eyes directly on him.

Shining licked his dry lips. “So, what is the plan, then? You couldn’t have kidnapped me without one in place. So what it is?”

To his side, Discord laughed. “Wouldn’t you like to know!”

Shining nodded. “Yes. Yes, I would since it must involve me somehow.”

Now Chrysalis began to laugh herself. “Let’s just say it is of the upmost importance.”

“That being?” Shining questioned.

Sombra barked out a single laugh. “The less you know the better. All of Equestria will tremble by what happens next.”

“Ditto,” Tirek added absently, currently focused on his half-finished scarf.

Clearly excited, Bad Dude stood up on his chair and stared at them. “Is this another one of those laughing moments? Awesome!” Then, he too, began to laugh wickedly along with the rest of them.

Since no one was talking at the moment, Shining ignored them all and returned to his nearly finished plate of crepes. They were delicious, after all.

***

While still in mid-laugh, all five villains in the eating room excused themselves. The moment they shut the door behind them, their giggles instantly dried and all of them glanced at each another sheepishly.

“So what is the plan?” Discord started. “Time for some chaos, maybe?”

Tirek pinched the bridge of his nose. “We just had chaos, Discord. A whole Empire worth of it!”

Discord stomped angrily. “But that was yesterday’s chaos! I want chaos today!”

Ignoring the two of them, Chrysalis said, “I really don’t know what we’re supposed to do with him. I’ve never had a plan work out or for this long before. I suppose we could always feast off of his love—all that I’d require would be a soundproof room and a rather large ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign.”

“I’m right here, you know?” Sombra exclaimed, before he sighed. “But I do second this soundproof room and Do Not Disturb sign idea… only for far more painful reasons.”

“Oh, don’t be such a grump, Sombra,” Chrysalis told him softly. “I was only kidding.” Too add to her statement, she wrapped a hoof around Sombra’s neck and brought their heads together.

Eventually, Sombra loosened a bit. “Truthfully, I also don’t know what we should be doing with Shining. I’ve never held a hostage before or had a plan succeed to such a degree. Winning is still new to me. It feels weird not being so easily defeated.”

Discord, Tirek, and Chrysalis nodded in agreement.

Discord raised a hand to his face and made his pupils swirl. “I could always hypnotize Shining and make him the exact opposite of his usual self. Sort of like what I did with Twilight and her friends when I was released from stone accidentally.”

Sombra waved a hoof. “They’d be expecting that. And they already know it was us that took him. If we gave him back or he just appeared out of nowhere, they’d question everything.”

“Ransom, then?” Tirek said, cocking a brow. “Could we ask for something in return for giving him back?”

Discord pulled on his beard. “Maybe if we’d managed to grab Cadence instead of Shining. Or one of the Princesses instead of him. Or Twilight or one of her friends. Or Cheerilee, perhaps. Or Big Mac. Or Sweetie Belle. Or Mayor Mare. Or that random pegasus with the bubbles cutie mark. Or Octavia. Or Background Pony No. 465. Or—”

We get it!” Sombra roared. “Shining Armor isn’t all that important! That only means we need to make him important! So how do we do that? We know he’s related to Twilight and Cadence—two alicorns. Also, two very big threats. That means they’ll be looking for us with the intent on getting Shining back as soon as possible. So how do we twist this around on them and use Shining to our advantage? As a distraction, perhaps?”

“He could start by cleaning out that storage shed we never use,” Discord added. “That would help us a bit.”

Sombra shut his eyes and sighed. “I’m going to go shoot stuff on the roof now. It seems that I’ve already had my daily intake of Discord.”

“I’ll join you,” Chrysalis told him, before they both shuffled off.

While he watched them go, Tirek turned to Bad Dude on the floor. “You were rather quiet. No ideas on what to do with our new guest?”

Bad Dude glanced down for a moment. He hadn’t added anything to the discussion because he’d been thinking about various names and costumes. He looked up at Tirek again.

“Think Shining Armor would make a good villain?”

***

“Pull!” Sombra shouted, before an end table was hurled into the air by their personally built catapult. Sombra fired his horn at the flying piece of furniture and it obliterated into a large mound of sparks.

Behind Sombra, Toe readied the catapult again—this time with a coat rack. Tic and Tac waited beside the lever to activate it, next to a mound of never-ending bits of stuff to launch into the sky.

Sombra giggled as he watched what remained of the end table float away in the breeze.

Chrysalis was the next one to shoot an item out of the sky with her horn. Her aim was dead on and the coat rack burst into splinters before tumbling towards the ground.

On the roof, Shining sat nervously next to Bad Dude, who was currently reading from one of his comic books. Shining was only waiting for the moment when he’d been loaded into the catapult…

“Want to give it a try, so called Prince?” Sombra asked him snidely. “It’s not so hard. Just aim and shoot and try not to die.”

Shining grimaced. “There’s still a sock on my horn, Sombra, if you hadn’t noticed.”

Lighting up the tip of his horn, Sombra cast a spell around Shining and the polka dot sock slipped off and landed on his lap.

“There,” Sombra told him, “no more sock. Now let’s see just how powerful you think you are.”

Shining got to his hooves and went to stand in front of the catapult. The changelings loaded it up with a thick wooden desk and got prepared to launch it. But instead of focusing on the piece of furniture, Shining kept his sights on King Sombra, who was standing less than a foot away from the edge of the roof. Could he hit him hard enough to stun or injure him? Perhaps knock him unconscious so he would fall over and finally be gone once and for all?

Shining had never been one to want to hurt others—especially kill. But Sombra had already died before and as far as Shining was concerned, he should’ve remained that way.

“Fire!” Sombra yelled, before chuckling.

Spinning on the spot, Shining turned to Sombra and charged up his horn with everything he had and let it loose. The effect was horrifying… to Shining. All that came out of the tip of his horn was a giant mound of colorful confetti—which Sombra took head on while laughing all the while. Soon tears started spilling down his cheeks.

Sombra pointed a hoof at him. “You think I’d honestly give you back your powers, fake Prince? Fine. I’ll let you shoot all the confetti you’d like while you’re here. But, remember, you’ll be the one cleaning it up.”

When Sombra started rolling on the roof in delight, Shining sighed and went back to sit down next to Bad Dude. Glumly, he picked up an issue of Pony Ponies 2099 that he never got around to reading before.

“Bad Dude?” Sombra called. “A word, if you’d be so kind.”

Bad Dude set down his comic book and trotted over to him. He told Sombra earnestly, “That wasn’t very nice what you did to Shining, Sombra. He’s our guest and we want him on our side, don’t we?”

Once Bad Dude was close enough, Sombra knelt to him and all original giddiness left his face. He spoke thickly, “I don’t know. Do we really want him on our team? Or maybe the better question is do we really want you on our team?”

Bad Dude’s ears flattened against his head. “What? Why would you say that? I started this team!”

“That you did. But now it is a rather strong team—something to be feared, indeed. But this team is only as strong as its weakest link, Bad Dude. And yesterday you showed me your greatest weakness firsthoof.”

Bad Dude sniffled. “You mean…”

Sombra nodded. “You saved one of the Elements of Harmony—our sworn enemy. You should have let her fall and we would’ve been all the better for it.”

“But she would’ve died!” Bad Dude protested. “Isn’t it better to have more ponies around in the long run? And maybe… maybe she’d want to be a villain someday too!”

Sombra shook his head. “I see great potential in you, Bad Dude, and I care for you deeply. I even want to make you my Prince someday. But softness is not welcome in this group; especially against those that are trying to thwart us.” He laid a hoof on Bad Dude’s shoulder. “So you owe me something, Bad Dude. One big something.”

“Like what?” Bad Dude asked tentatively.

“In the next twenty four hours you owe me one nefarious deed.”

“Like playing hooky in school? Or telling my mom her spaghetti isn’t all that great?”

Sombra bared his teeth at him. “One nefarious deed, Bad Dude, so I know you’re serious about this group. And you can’t ask for help from anyone inside this Coalition. It’s up to you and you alone on this one. Understand?”

Frowning, Bad Dude eventually nodded and Sombra left him be.

“What am I going to do now?” Bad Dude squeaked out.

Author's Note:

Next chapter titled: "Who Would Help Bad Dude Bury A Dead Body?" :yay:

Or not...