• Published 21st Jan 2016
  • 755 Views, 10 Comments

Shadow of the past - CaiusTheShadowPony



An old enemy of Celestia and Luna is biding his time before his return to Equestria.

  • ...
1
 10
 755

What lurks in darkness

A cold sweat ran down the face of the princess of the sun as she lurched out of her bed the visions she just witnessed causing her to shake. "No not him not again." A gentle sob escapes her lips as tears stream from her face and fall on to the bed. Suddenly the doors to her chambers fly open causing the princess to jump she looks up at the door to see her younger sister standing in front of her with a look that is a mix of fear and concern.

"Tia are you alright Tia answer me Celestia please." Upon hearing her sister call her name Celestia snaps out of the daze she was in and looks at her sister. "Luna I . . . I saw him hes coming back." Luna looks at he sister as she begins to walk forward until she reaches the side of Celestias bed where she is sitting Luna climbs onto the bed and wraps her hooves and wings around her older sibling. "Yes Tia I know I saw him to but now is not the time for fear dear sister we must go and prepare for his inevitable return you should get some rest the sun will need to be raised in a few hours in the meantime I will send a letter to Twilight Sparkle and her friends as well as Cadence and Shining Armour."

The princess of the night gets up to leave but is stopped by a shaking hoof on her shoulder. "Luna could you please stay you can use my desk to send the letters I just don't want to be alone right now." Luna smiles at her sister and nuzzles her cheek reassuringly. "Of course Tia now get some sleep I will be here when you wake up." Celestia smiles and lets out a yawn she lays down on the bed resting her head on the pillow. "Good night Lulu." A deep blue aura surrounded Celestias bed covers as Luna uses her magic to tuck her sister in for the night she smiles softly at the sleeping sun princess. "Good night Tia sweet dreams." Luna turned to the desk across from her sisters bed and walked towards it using her magic she picked up a quill dipped it in ink and began the task of writing the necessary letters to their intended recipient once she had finished she stepped out into the hallway outside of her sisters room and handed the letters over to a Pegasus guard standing at the end of the hall the guard saluted to the princess. "Gentle Breeze you are to deliver this letter to princess Twilight at first light and have one of your fastest fliers set out for the crystal empire at once to deliver the other letter to princess Cadence and prince Shining Armour do you understand." The guard bowed to the princess before replying. " Yes your Majesty right away." and with that he turned and flew in the direction of the guards barracks. Luna turns around and walks back into her sisters room quietly closing the door behind her so as to not wake her sister a sigh leaves her lips as she looks out of the window at the sleeping city of Canterlot. "A storm is coming my little ponies and we had best be ready when it does and I'll be waiting for you Grogar."

The sun begins to rise over the quiet town of ponyville and it rays creep in through the windows of princess Twilight's castle and onto the sleeping princesses face stirring her from her sleep a yawn escapes her lips as she pulls the covers off of her body and drags herself out of her bed. Walking over to her vanity table she got as a gift from her friend Rarity when everyone offered to decorate her castle for her using her magic she picks up her brush and begins to fix her bed head quickly before she left the room to wake up her number one assistant who was asleep in the room next door. "Well that my mane taken care of now its time to wake up Spike." The purple alicorn walked out of her room and down the hall to the next door down the castle was much more homely since her friends added their own unique touches to the place. Turning to the door Twilight raises her hoof and knocks on the door three times before calling out. "Spike its time to get up." No reply comes from the other side of the door she knocks again. "Spike are you in there its eleven thirty are you getting up." A gentle thud is heard as the young dragon hops out of his comfy bed accompanied by the sound of footsteps the handle clicks down and the door opens to revel spike rubbing his eyes with his favorite blanket rapped around his shoulders and a plush of the love of his life clutched to his scaly chest. "Morning twilight whats for breakfast."Twilight suppresses a giggle. " Well how does pancakes and cereal sound." Her fateful assistant smiles and drops his blanket on the floor and places the white unicorn plush on top of the chest next to the door. "Sounds great Twi." Twilight starts down the hallway as Spike shuts his door and runs after her.

All was quiet at the breakfast table as Twilight and Spike partook of their morning meal Twilight had just finished her bowl of ponyo's and was placing the dirty dishes in the sink for Spike to wash once he was done stuffing his face with pancakes soaked in maple syrup she sighed. "Honestly Spike i know your a growing dragon but how is it you can manage to put away four helpings of pancakes and three bowls of ponyo's without making yourself sick." Before the young dragon could let out a response there was a loud knock at the castle door. "I wonder who that could be the girls shouldn't be here for at least an hour." Spike swallowed the food still in his mouth taking a swig of his orange juice to wash it down. "I don't know maybe its the mail pony." Twilight began to walk towards the door another knock sounded as she reached it. "Okay I'm coming for pony's sake." She opened the door to see a tall white Pegasus pony wearing the armour of the canterlot royal guard. "Princess Twilight Sparkle." He said in a soft yet commanding tone. "Yes that's me how can I help you." The stallion reached into a bag hanging at his side and pulled out a letter with the seal of princess Luna on it. "My name is Gentle Breeze princess Luna ordered me to bring you this letter." Twilight takes the letter in her magic looking it over then turning back to Gentle Breeze. "Thank you for bringing this to me." Gentle Breeze bows then takes of back in the direction of canterlot to get some rest before his shift later that night.

Twilight turned around ready to close the castle door when a familiar voice called out to her. ''Hiya Twilight what cha doing." Turning around she could see the source of the voice was none other than the super duper party pony herself Pinkie Pie followed close behind by the rest of her friends. "Good morning girls how are you all today.''

''Awesome.''

''Wonderful darling.''

''Super duper ali uper.''

''Cant complain none sugar cube.''

''I'm fine.''

The group of friend embraced each other in a hug before the hyperactive backer turned to twilight to repeat her earlier question. ''So Twilight what cha doing.'' Twilight floated the letter in front of the group. ''Well I just received a letter from princess Luna and was about to take a look at it.''

"Well we had best do that inside darling the weather ponies have scheduled a downpour for today." Said Rarity eyeing the sky with nervous glances obviously worried about her beautiful mane getting ruined. Just then a drop of rain fell from the sky on to Twilight's nose as the heavens began to open. "Hurry girls inside." Rarity was first through the castle doors followed by the others. As the six friends entered the kitchen spike was just finishing up on the last of the dishes from breakfast just as he hung up his apron he heard the sound of voices coming down the hallway towards the kitchen. "Spike can you get the girls some lemonade please." Said Twilight as she took her seat at the kitchen table as spike grabbed a pitcher of lemonade from the fridge and began pouring a glass for each of the ponies at the table. "So Twi ya'll gonna open that there letter ya got from the princess." Ask the orange farm pony with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

Twilight used her magic to float the letter in front of her and tore the envelop open to retrieve its contents Twilight began reading aloud so her friends could hear what was written on it.

"Dear Twilight Sparkle we wish to speak with you of a most urgent matter tis imperative that you and your friend come to canterlot with haste so we may discuss the matter your friend princess Luna."

"I wonder whats going on." Asked Twilight with a look of both confusion and worry as she placed the letter on the table. "Not sure sure sugar cube but we had best get on over to canterlot tooth sweet." The six ponies and one dragon left the castle and began their trek to the ponyville train station. As they boarded the train to canterlot the friends started to discuss what the princesses could want.

"I hope its a horrifying monster we haven't fought one of those since the bug bear attack ponyville on Matilda and Cranky's wedding." Said Rainbow Dash a look of excitement plastered on her face.

"Ya'll don't suppose that maybe king Sombra is back or that no good varmint Tirek." Said the farm pony with a scowl on her face.

A whimper came from below the seats in the train car. "I hope not I was barley able to keep it together the first time." Said a shivering Fluttershy pulling her mane over her eyes in an attempt to hide as if the centaur was outside the train looking in.

Rarity lowered herself to Fluttershy's level to comfort her shivering friend. "Don't worry Fluttershy darling that vicious brute has been locked away in Tartarus with extra guards and a powerful binding spell the princesses placed on his cell to keep him there and as for Sombra I'm sure we can handle that riffraff in our sleep."

A pink blur appeared next to the fashionista. "Yeah Fluttershy and even if they did come back we would just give him this and that and one of these for good measure." The hyperactive party pony bounced around imitating a martial arts pony almost hitting Rainbow Dash with a spinning air kick.

The shy mare inched her way out from under her seat and back to a sitting position. "Thanks girls its good to know that I can count on friends who are as great as you." The group smile at their friend as the train pulled into canterlot station. "Well whatever is going on we'll know soon enough." Said Twilight as they stepped off the train and onto the platform. "Lets head to the castle."