• Published 14th Mar 2016
  • 4,038 Views, 243 Comments

Legacy of Kain: Harmony's Rise - Time Reaper



Raziel has accepted his fate in the Soul Reaver, bringing a chance for the restoration of Nosgoth and the defeat of The Elder God. But the Elder God, not accepting defeat so easily, has decided to escape to a new realm and Raziel will give him chase.

  • ...
4
 243
 4,038

Chapter 14: Memories of a Decayed Lieutenant

Rocky Gulch, outside of Ponyville/Physical Realm

Time has passed since Raziel's encounter with Twilight on her library and he ended up telling her part of his story, Raziel wasn't sure how long would it be before she managed to understand what he said or when she would like to be close to him again but that didn't stop him from moving with more freedom outside of the Everfree Forest, after all, there were still very few ponies who were aware of him and he wasn't so sure that the rest of the town would be so open about him.

At the very least, it meant that he was now capable of moving through the place whenever Twilight's friends were close with freedom, which gave him more time to explore the land without fear of being found and it allowed him to get closer to the other mares without many problems. That is why he was now in such a desolated and dry place, with only rocks acting as viewpoints and holes filling the site while the town of Ponyville was miles away and you could see Canterlot Castle looking over it.

All he knew was that something wrong must have happened since he saw Spike running away from the place, while he was looking by the distance, and, he was sure, those holes looked less naturally made and more crafted. He wasn't sure what to find there but he knew that he wouldn't lose anything exploring the place so he used his Dark Reaver to make himself invisible and jumped in.

When Raziel found a chain of connected caves, he wasn't surprised. If something was capable of digging holes, then surely it would know about creating structures strong enough to hold themselves up but he was now facing a new problem, where to go?

There were too many tunnels going from one side to the other, to the point that it didn't matter what he was searching for, without a proper idea of direction, he could be expending years down there and he would find nothing. He needed a more practical solution, one that would help him to find something on the long run without losing his time and while he wasn't too fond of using the Spectral Realm as a mean of navigation, it would help him at the very least to search "quick enough" and to figure out in what direction to move.

Ponyville/Physical Realm

As days passed, Twilight was getting closer to her objective and, should it work, it would be the perfect idea to present Princess Celestia and Raziel without endangering the possibility of being seen by pony bystanders. Twilight wanted her friend to be more known, but she knew that many ponies would scream before talking to Raziel, that's why she was so sure that presenting him to Princess Celestia first was a good idea, she would be wise enough to listen to him and grant the help needed to find the villain Raziel was talking about.

Once Twilight were done with her pet project, all she would need was to befriend Raziel a bit more and then send a letter to Princess Celestia to see if they could fix a meeting during the Grand Galloping Gala. It would be the best moment to present each other out and maybe Raziel would be more open to talk about his past, it was quite clear he didn't say everything and that only made her wanting to know more about his home even though it wasn't as nice as Equestria.

That was why she was speaking to her friends, except for Rarity who went with Spike to the Rocky Gulch in search of gems necessary for her newest outfits, so they could talk about this situation first. She wanted to ensure that this encounter would work and they were the only ones who could give her the advice she needed, at the same time, their doubts were the only thing pointing her out the problems with her plans.

"I don't know Twilight" -. Said Rainbow Dash while putting a hoof over her head. - "I don't think it's a good idea to meet Princess Celestia with Raziel right now. Don't get me wrong, he's cool and all, especially after what you and Spike told me about his life but all he has done here is kill a dragon, an ursa minor and almost vanquish her sister. That's not a good track record if you ask me."

"Ah' agree with Rainbow Dash, Twilight" -. Continued Applejack. - "Ah' doubt that the Raziel fella has bad intentions but if we're going to introduce him to Princess Celestia, Ah' think that he need first something good backing him up so the Princess doesn't suspect of him."

"I know!" - Responded a very happy Pinkie Pie. - "Since he hasn't gotten his 'Welcome to Ponyville' party yet, why don't we make him a 'Raziel's a Good Guy' party so the ponies meet him and see how a good guy he is?"

The idea passed on the mares head for far more time than it deserved before the answer, coming from Fluttershy no less, was made.

"I don't know, how will a party make him look like a good guy?"

The answer was simple but confusing, as anything coming from Pinkie Pie.

"Because only a meanie pants wouldn't come to a party."

The response left the mares hanging in the air for a while, trying to think anything wrong with that line of thought but, before an answer could come out from their minds, a very troubled Spike speaking too fast and too panicky to make any sense but letting very clearly that something wrong happened with Rarity, making them put Raziel's problem aside and go to the Rocky Gulch and see what happened with Rarity.

Underground Labyrinth/Spectral Realm

As time went by, Raziel was feeling more and more frustrated, not only because he wasn't finding anything but also because it was quite clear that, whoever made this tunnels, made them deliberately so whoever came inside them would lose itself running through this maddening place.

He wondered just how long it would be before he finally found something worthwhile investigating but he was, at least, finding something on what to mingle his mind on and those were the bodies he found under the ground. There would be times where he would move from one cave to another and he would find more or less bodies ready for him to use as a mean to shift between realms, although he wouldn't do it until he was sure to find anything worth investigating on the Physical Realm.

Granted, using the bodies he found as a way to move himself through the tunnels, considering that he found a mine of bodies on a collapsed tunnel, he was sure that, the less bodies he would find on a tunnel, the more chances he would get to find a proper exit, so he started to move from tunnel to tunnel hoping to find something even though it meant that he would have a hard time finding a shifting portal for himself.

He wasn't sure how far did this go or where it would lead him, all he knew is that he would find something, after all, more and more torches were appearing on this direction and, after walking for a while, he found a large room that connected with other smaller rooms.

Raziel took notice of how there were no more corpses on this large room, implying how important it must be for this underground tunnel's builders, so all he could do for now was to see if he would find anything and then come back after shifting realms... at least that was what he was thinking on before finding, what appear to be, a small prison.

Raziel started to take a look at the cells, noticing how they held one or two corpses each, which it would give him a few ideas of what kind of individuals run this place but, in the moment, all he saw was a way out of this realm.

Diamond Dog Prison Cell/Physical Realm

Rarity was having a dreadful day, which was a shame considering how well it started. A famous figure in the world of fashion asking her for more of her newest designs and all she needed were more precious gems, she had the gems, she had the help from the lovely Spike, she was finding good amounts of gems, it all looked like it was going to be a fantastic day but she then had to be foalnapped by those filthy Diamond Dogs.

Now, she was underground being kept hostage by those dreadful figures for unknown reasons. She needed to find a way out but a lady wasn't prone to fight and who knew how long it would take her friends to find her. Not only that but those cells looked so aged and she was in such a dirty place, did these dogs know anything about higiene?

Those were the problems passing through her mind right then, cornered and trapped with no knowledge of how to escape or that was until she started to hear a sound, a sound that sent a chill down her spine as she tried to figure out what it was or where it came from. It, thankfully, wasn't on her prison cell but she wasn't aware of any other prisoner being held there either.

As she tried to listen better to the sound, it sounded as if something was coming out of the ground through sheer force of will, as if the ground itself was trying to keep it underground but the thing was just too strong for it. Rarity started to feel worried regarding what kind of creature was this, especially after hearing what it felt like as if it was convulsing and retorting over itself for a while.

A few minutes later, the sound died off, making Rarity wonder what was all that about. The answer then came in another new sound, a sound of old metal moaning as if it was being forced to move on a direction it wasn't supposed to move. The moaning sent fear unto Rarity, since she wasn't sure of what could be making those sounds, and that fear escalated into potential panic as she saw how the jail door besides her was thrown into the air due to the huge force put into it.

Rarity now wanted to escape more than ever as she wasn't sure she wanted to meet whatever managed to use magic so strong. She moved to the corner of her cell as she heard the creature moving outside the cell, heavy steps marking its movement in a slow pace. For a brief moment, Rarity wanted to close her eyes to avoid watching the nightmarish creature that was so powerful but that fear soon became hope as she started to see a familiar (although dreadful) figure.

He was a bipedal figure, with two broken wings hanging on his back, his flesh was gone, he had two claws on his high extremities, his only hair was on his head and all left of him was a huge scarf covering his mouth.

"Raziel?"

That was the only thing Rarity could ask as she saw that terrifying yet charming individual she met back at the library on that night Twilight was attacked by a cockatrice and she had to overwork herself up to finish that deadline while Sweetie and her friends were sleeping at Fluttershy's.

She wasn't sure how to react to him that night though, all she knew of him was based on Sweetie and Twilight's impressions of him and hearing he was a creature capable of murdering powerful entities, such as a dragon, weren't a good indicator of him being peaceful, although his mannerism, gentle speaking and thoughtful charms were certainly a good first impression for her.

Raziel quickly turned aside and saw her on the jail, a question quickly being answered by him.

"Rarity? Is that you? I suppose that explains why Spike was running off to Ponyville, he probably must have been in the search of his friends to rescue you soon."

Knowing that his Spikie-wikie was looking for help did brought some hopes for her, although she wasn't sure how long it would take them to reach her.

"Oh, that's lovely and I guess Spike found you first and asked you to come here first while he was moving to Ponyville?"

His answer wasn't expected though.

"No, it was by mere chance that I saw him running to Ponyville while I was exploring the gulch by my own so I decided to explore here first to see what I would find. Surprise wouldn't be enough to describe my feelings on seeing you being trapped here like a dog."

Rarity couldn't help but chuckle at the irony behind those words.

"Oh, well, sure mister Raziel. You see, what happened was that I was searching for gems to make a wonderful series of new dresses for one of the most important figures in the fashion world and, would you guess, this dreadful creatures called Diamond Dogs appeared out of nowhere and decided to foalnap me for all the gems I was finding. Now I'm trapped here on this dirty cell and I have no way of escaping."

As she saw Raziel, she noticed how his eyes were starting close, being those the only indication of what he was actually feeling, and she guessed that probably indignation was passing by him but Rarity wasn't sure of what he could possibly do.

"Well" -. She continued. - "I'm glad you found me so, do you think you could help me a little bit by releasing me from this prison?"

Raziel looked around the jail as if searching for something.

"I'm sure, mister Raziel, that there must be a key somewhere near here, do you think that-"

And just like that, she saw Raziel moving his hands towards her jail cell, making the door flash green energy, before it started to make the same moaning sound she heard not too long ago. The more she watched, the more surprised she got by seeing how his magic worked, and even felt, so differently from pony magic.

While pony magic came from the horns of a unicorn, the wings of a pegasi or the hooves of an earth pony and it felt as a natural thing, something that anypony was supposed to do. Raziel, on the other hoof, felt more as if his magic was a part of him but forced at the same time (kind of like if it wasn't an original part of him) and it was even weird seeing how he used his claws to project a telekinesis spell instead of his head.

Regardless, it didn't take long before the door gave in and was thrown away from her cell. As the jail door was flying away, all Rarity could do was see the ghastly creature of nice behavior looking at her as if he just moved a pebble blocking his way and simply saying:

"With that solved, I'm certain this is a good moment to begin our escapade from this place, isn't it Rarity?"

Rarity quickly took her time to understand what he was talking about and she decided to follow him, after all, why refuse help from someone who got to be on Twilight's good side?

"Yes, dear, I think this is a good moment to escape from here."

As the pony and the ghoul started to move, a new sound was coming, one that Rarity wasn't so eager to hear again. This sound was a voice of an aggravating tone, quite hard to explain but that could only belong to a ruffian who wasn't aware of how to properly treat a lady.

"The sound came from the prison cell, the pony must be trying to escape!"

Rarity was worried, although she wasn't sure for who. If either for the two of them for not having an easy way out or for her captors, who were about to face a beast capable of destroying dragons and surpass death itself if Twilight was to be believed on that remark.

They were soon surrounded by multiple diamond dogs wearing iron armor with three in particular, a small one, a middle one and a large one respectively, coming out from them, the middle one then decided to talk.

"What is puny pony doing outside her cell? Who are you and why did you help puny pony?"

Rarity remembered well that ghastly figure who put her on her current predicament, she wanted so hard to give him a piece of her mouth, but Raziel decided to do it for her.

"My name is Raziel and I came here to rescue this pony from your oppressive paws."

The diamong dog came closer to Raziel, a smug decorating his face, and challenged him on that.

"Oh yeah? Puny pony cannot fight and you're alone against our guards, you cannot win."

In that moment Raziel pulled out an ethereal blue sword from his right claw and aimed it at her captor. Interestingly, for Rarity, this sword did feel as a completely natural part of him, unlike his telekinesis spell, and it radiated a magic that made her feel as if an overwhelming power was trying to suppress everything on its vicinity and, by looking at the Diamond Dogs, they could feel the same overwhelming power as well while Raziel was answering at their challenge with an authoritative tone of voice.

"Would you like to try?"

Raziel's question was daring as well but it left a warning feeling that the dogs quickly understood what it meant. This creature was dangerous and it would fight them if necessary but, to Rarity's dismay, it looked like the dogs were willing to take the risk, so she decided to do what she knew best, being a proper lady and try to mediate the situation.

"Ah, excuse me gentle..." - She looked at both figures, knowing none of them were ponies and tried to search for another word. - "Fine figures. While I feel lots of indignation for my foalnap, I think there's no need for this to reach on violent levels. Don't you think we could make an agreement so we could depart peacefully?"

The two sides looked at each other for a while before the middle sized diamond dog decided to respond with a grin crossing his mouth.

"Sure, an agreement. We can make it, right boys?" - As the diamond dogs looked at each other, understanding that this wasn't a fight they should be taking, the pack of dogs quickly nodded. The large dog then decided to ask. - "What kind of deal could we make?"

The middle one quickly answered.

"Diamond Dogs want gems, puny pony can find gems. Find gems for diamond dogs and we'll let the two of you leave."

Before Raziel could quickly respond, Rarity picked up a stick on the ground and activated her gem searching spell.

"Why didn't you ask for it first, I would have gladly help you finding them." - She then found a batch of gems and mark the place with an 'X' as she started to separate from Raziel. - "There you go, have a nice day."

Once again the diamond dogs surrounded Rarity before she could even get close to Raziel and ordered her beyond what Rarity thought was agreed.

"Dig the gems pony."

Thankfully, it was Raziel this time was decided to respond to the dogs as he jumped back to Rarity, crossing the Diamond Dogs in the process and chided them as if they were a group of oppresors.

"Do you really think she has the physical strength to dig up the gems?" - He once again aimed his sword at them. - "I think you don't understand how a deal works. First, we settle the ground rules here: You need gems and she can find it, we determine how many of them will she find for you and you won't take everything from her, she'll keep a part of the gems she find and she won't be under any type of prison of cell. Once the quota of gems is found we'll depart and all will be forgiven" -. He then started to charge his sword, the magic quickly creating a pressure on the dogs and Rarity, and coldly asked. - "Understood?"

The diamond dogs looked at the blade ominously aiming at them and decided to agree. After a couple minutes of talks, it was decided a quota of gems to be filled for both the dogs and Rarity, once that quota was filled, they would let her go and, as Raziel would put it, it would be taken as a memory of how things would go again should the dogs ever need more gems from her.

That way, as Rarity quickly found more gems for the dogs to dig up, she started to take a closer look at Raziel and how well he managed the negotiation. She wondered from where he got those skills, perhaps years of experience? Well, the dogs would take a while to dig everything, so maybe it was now a good time to talk to the creature besides her.

"Ehm, Raziel, dear."

The creature, for a brief moment, stopped looking at the dogs and moved his eyes towards Rarity. She couldn't see many expressions on him due to only his eyes being at her sight, and said eyes didn't have pupils to distinguish many feelings, but his tone was enough to tell Rarity that he was still at edge on the caverns.

"Yes, Rarity?"

She tried to be as calm as possible, trying to not touch any nerve that could close him to her, but she was quite curious of the type of life a creature like him could have gotten, considering that he once belonged to the elite, and especially how he ended up like what she sees now.

"Well, I would first like to commend you for helping me in the negotiations, for I'm not so sure how that would have turned out should I've been alone with them."

She saw what she could of his face, hoping to find an expression that could help her figuring him out, but all she got was a plain face looking both at her and the Diamond Dogs at the same time while only saying:

"Thank you Rarity, I'm glad to know I was of help here."

Seeing how little she was getting of him, she tried to go for her other curiosity about him.

"You welcome darling, the other thing I would like to talk about is regarding the way you talked to them. I noticed that you made the point to negotiate quite fast, as if you already had experience of this happening. Tell me, how many times did you help in a negotiation in your previous life as a high class citizen back home?"

Raziel kept looking at Rarity for a while, as if he was thinking of an era he wasn't in touch in since far too long to tell. She wondered whether or not she touched a bad issue but, apparently, Raziel wasn't too privy to talk about it, although he managed to remain secretive about it as well.

"Making negotiations was something I used to do a lot. I always had to negotiate with my brothers when it came to territory and..." - He then looked at Rarity as if he wanted to avoid a touchy subject. - "cattle... and I did more negotiations than my memory can even dare to remember."

Rarity kept looking at Raziel and tried to decipher the riddle hidden between his words for, the more he explained, the more mysterious he was. There was always something strange on how he acted, well reserved but not afraid of violence, with a great way to express himself but capable of an adulterated rage common of beast, of peaceful nature but locked in a savage lifestyle. She could quite clearly understand why Twilight was so fixated on becoming his friend, perhaps there was something on his past that he was ashamed of? Only one way to figure it out.

"Well" -, continued the diplomatic unicorn, - "I understand if you're not willing to dive into such a boring time in your life although, that begs the question. Considering the way you always dodge it, was your previous life one you don't feel proud about?"

Raziel quickly turned his head towards Rarity and kept looking at her with a sight that it was quite hard to identify, too many emotions going on there and too little expressions to describe them. He then looked back at the Diamond Dogs and continued his response.

"It could be said that my life back home wasn't one I could feel any proud about. In more than one occasion I switched sides thinking that I was on the right one and more than once I've come to realize that I was a fool for thinking so."

He then looked back at Rarity and started to speak on a melancholic tone while feeling as if it wasn't directed towards her, but rather to himself.

"The more I let myself be dragged down by ideas and emotions the easier I was to be used by monsters that played themselves as heroes when they were actually monsters wearing a facade that had no qualm on using their pieces to their liking, dismissing any thought at how those individuals were affected due to their personal ambitions."

His body started to move towards his left and continued his speech, making Rarity feel as if she dived into a touchy subject but feeling no regret or shame in doing so for she now felt how she have just found a crucial piece to an intriguing puzzle.

"Perhaps I should have known better, after all, whenever you follow someone based on an ideology without questioning it, you may as well be just a pawn but I never did and all I can do is wonder why I never questioned them even though I could see around myself how much harm I was causing."

Rarity was entranced on his speech but, before she could figure out more about Raziel or listen to him a bit more, he stopped talking and ended the conversation as he was looking on a far away distance on the cave.

"It looks like our ordeal is done, perhaps we can finally leave this dreadful place."

She looked on the same direction as him and saw how the diamond dogs were coming out with around four mine carts being pulled by the dogs and all of them were overflowing with precious gems that were making Rarity dream of the multiple types of colorful vests, making this one of the best travels she has done in quite a while.

As the carts were coming in, the three Diamond Dogs leaders moved to the front, with the middle one looking at the two of them and claiming with an air of defeat.

"Here you go. This are all the gems that could be brought to you as part of the deal, now leave. We don't need you anymore."

Perhaps they kept more gems that Raziel or Rarity would ever know about but at least they were now free to go and those carts were looking good enough to leave by themselves, although they were only two individuals for four carts, they needed more help to carry all those carts.

That is why Twilight and her friends coming to Rarity's rescue was a very good thing for the two of them, friendship had always been a good thing when it comes to task of multiple workforce. At the same time, it was a good thing that Rarity's friends came to help, for they now had enough help to carry the gems while Raziel stayed behind, making sure that no trap came before them.

That way, as Raziel was keeping safe the back, Twilight and Rarity were exchanging words regarding their individual talks with Raziel. It was quite enlightening to Rarity that Raziel said that he would talk about it but still avoided the subject in the cave, perhaps it was because they were surrounded by Diamond Dogs? She wasn't sure but it became quite clear that she now was going to try to figure out about him a little more and, speaking of him, it was a good idea to begin by finishing something that was started days ago.

As for Twilight, she now had a better idea of what he endured and the regret he felt for his crimes, the idea of dedicating your life for a goal one saw as noble just to have it twisted and realize that you were on the wrong side must have been devastating. She hoped to never find herself on the same position with Princess Celestia.

That way, as they started to exit the tunnels, the six mares were now looking at the creature that just helped saving Rarity without having to fight and started to feel grateful for living in such a peaceful world as Equestria.

"I don't know you girls" -. Said as eager Rainbow Dash as she moved her hooves in a boxing style. - "But if one bad guy from his world is here to destroy anything I know and love, then I'm going help find it and kick its flanks."

"Ah' agree with Rainbow Dash" -. Continued Applejack with the same determination crossing her face. - "He not only saved Apple Bloom and her friends but is keeping all mah' friends safe. If he's here to save Equestria, then we should lend him a hoof in the process."

"Yeah!" - Continued the cheerful Pinkie Pie. - "And then we'll do a 'We Defeated The Maximum Meanie Pants' party! And. It. Will. Be. Awesome!"

"Well" -, finished a still conflicted Fluttershy. - "I still don't agree with his way of life, but I do think that he means no harm for us so, sure, let's help him."

With that, Twilight was now feeling confident that the Grand Galloping Galla was going to be the best thing ever. She then saw Spike and how he was seeing Raziel with a look of mixed envy and admiration, she was sure of why he was looking at him that way and she understood it perfectly.

"Don't worry Spike" -. Twilight thought. - "Some day you will have your chance to shine, I know it."

And with that, all the mares came out of the tunnel being shortly followed by the Soul Reaver himself but, before departing ways, both Twilight and Rarity decided to ask him for a small favor. The scholar would ask him to come by tomorrow night so they could have their other part of the conversation, although it weird out Raziel her request to come through the Spectral Realm first, while Rarity asked him to come that very night so she could deliver him her 'thank you' gift. She would leave it in the entrance to the Everfree and wait until Raziel could take it.

"This was supposed to be a gift from Sweetie Bell" -. She said with a small hint of regret on her tone. - "But I ended up forgetting giving it to you, so here you go. I know it isn't much for saving my life, but this is the best I could do for you."

And, as the fallen vampire was looking at the clan flag he once had, that night ended up with Rarity figuring out something she quite never expected from this old elite vampire.

"Now" -, she continued as Raziel was looking at the robe, - "while it quite certainly looks important, I feel quite ignorant about what it is supposed to be. A Type of flag, maybe?"

His answer was something along the lines of what she expected.

"Its a clan flag. This was the ancient flag used by my old vampire clan."

Rarity felt quite thrilled at the idea of this powerful entity feeling homesickness, but she needed to know more.

"Oh! So you were part of a clan? What kind of position you had in there?"

His answer just shocked Rarity.

"I was its leader."

And, with that, he disappeared with the flag into the everfree. Leaving a shocked Rarity that wasn't sure of how to react at the discovery that all this time she was speaking to literal royalty.

Meanwhile, in the Ponyville Library, a very tired unicorn was making the last adjustment to her last magical experiment. She got into the middle of the library and, with a lot of care after removing the carpet, she started to carve the spell in the library's floor.

It took her all of her concentration to achieve this but, after putting a lot of effort into it, she managed to carve her latest spell into her library. While she couldn't feel the results so far, she was quite sure that her future guest was going to be quite happy with what he was going to find after coming to her library tomorrow night.

Author's Note:

This is it boys and girls. Four more chapters and we'll be done with the first part of this story (Season One) don't worry, I'll try to finish this up before the end of the year.

EDIT June 14th of 2019: If you like this and you want to support me, you can do it through my Ko-Fi. Feel free to check it out.