• Published 5th Jan 2016
  • 2,103 Views, 41 Comments

What must be done - Foxgear



Now eighteen and finally old enough to inherit the family farm Big Mac's life was just getting started, but a message from his late father turns Mac's life in a new direction. Monsters are invading from Equestria and it's up to Mac and his new partne

  • ...
6
 41
 2,103

The final chapter

What must be done ch 9
By Foxgear


Mac awoke with a groan his body still sore from the battle one week ago. Turns out dark magic always backlashes when purified. He hissed through his teeth as he moved his body, the injuries he sustained while fighting Sixes where healed, but the pain was still there. Princess Luna said it would be another week or more for all the dark magic to leave his body and everyone else’s.

Currently all of Applejack’s friends were sleeping somewhere in the house in what Pinkie Pie called a “week long recover from being evil sleep over”, it was working title. Nether the less Principle Luna, their godmother, still had to get used to that. Made arrangements to excuse them all from classes for the week, by telling their parents and legal guardians they were all on a field trip. When in reality they were all out to the farm recovering, with Luna covering their school lessons personally. However such things could not be done without a little more official help and thus Principle Celestia was brought into the loop on what happened. She took it rather well.

“Luna I need another refill!”

Ok, she didn’t take it well. Turns out though it didn’t take much to grease the principle’s palms to look the other way. Vice-Principle Luna simply had to be her personal maid for a bit, something the younger sister didn’t seem too bothered by, until Celestia added on the condition she had to wear a maids outfit and no video games. Their relationship was strange and Mac (and everyone else) didn’t want to dive in any further.

“Coming sister!” Principle Luna grumbled walking past his door. Currently Mac was in his parent’s room on the first floor, his room occupied by Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Rarity. Sunset was in Applejack’s room with Aj and Fluttershy was in Applebloom’s room. Of course the Sirens were with him, snuggled together very, very tightly.

“Can I get up now?” He asked trying to wiggle free from the girls.

“Nope!” Sonata chimed cutely. “Adagio got to kiss you, so I get to snuggle with you for double the time! Right, Aria?” Aria blushing like mad on the other side of him nodded and snuggled in deeper, further trapping him. Across the room in the rocking chair sat Adagio looking jealous, amused and pouty all at the same time. It was a rather endearing look.

They laid there for another hour or two. The warmth of their bodies lulling Mac to sleep, when he woke up from someone knocking on the door Adagio was lying on top of him.

“One minute,” He answered doing his best to wiggle free from the girls without waking them; it proved to be fruitless as they all wound up on the floor in a heap of limbs. They groaned and moaned as they worked themselves free with Mac eventually untangling himself enough to answer the door.

“Hi Mr. Sixes,” he answered addressing the dragon pony at this door and someone that knew his father. A subject they have had little time to discuss, despite the night hunters being at the farm for an entire week, minus Princess Luna who had to return to Equestria, but said she would come back in a few days.

Sixes smiled as he placed a hand on Mac’s shoulder, “Just Sixes is fine. Listen Topaz, Fury, and I aren’t exactly what you call builders. Mind giving us a hand with the door repairs? Nothing physical, I know you must still be hurting, just in a management role. You know tell us what you want done and we’ll do it. Sound good?”

“I’d prefer to do myself,” Mac admitted, “But the forecast is calling for rain soon and it needs to get done.”

“Excellent, lead away boss man.” Sixes joked walking back into the living room. Mac knelt down and planted a kiss on Adagio’s forehead. He was feeling really affectionate lately, though Sonata and Aria demanded they each have one as well, which he complied and then got the hell out of there. Not wanting to get dragged into another one of their cat fights.

“Alright, put that board there and…” Mac directed the construction of the front door with little trouble. Despite Sixes claim the three patrollers were very skilled workers and they seemed to know their way around tools. By the afternoon they had the outer wall rebuilt and sealed to keep water out. There was still the need for sheet rock and others things for the inside, but that could be done later.

“Dinners ready,” Principle Luna announced carrying a try of hamburgers and hot dogs from the grill. She placed the tray on the table next to a plate of buns and salad and all the house residents filed down into the kitchen to eat. As they ate chatter filled the room and Mac couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he looked around the table as everyone excitedly talked about this or that; much of the conversation where questions directed at their Equestrian visitors. Something they didn’t seem to mind as they happily answered every question. Rarity asked the most questions, mainly about their clothes or rather Kira’s clothes.

“I say Mrs. Perfecta that is a rather fetching kimono you are wearing, would you mind allowing me to study it? I would love to start a new line of eastern designs and it would be the perfect base to start with. Also would you mind doing some modeling for me too? You have a natural grace that I’m sure would really make my designs shine!”

Kira’s response was a simply shrug, “Sure why not. I’m always up for something new. I’ll have to ask for some leave time from the Princess first.”

“Oh please Kira! The Princess has been trying to get you to take a vacation since she found out you were alive.”

“I took time off to raise a family in Nippon when she was in the moon. I believe that counts as a vacation don’t you Sixes? By the way how was your thousand year beauty nap? Resting I hope.” She retorted to the orange haired man’s jab. They all shared a laugh at Sixes expense as the dragon pony hide his blushing face under his hands.

“I think it’s a lovely idea Kira,” A voice said from the other room. They all turned none of them hearing the two new arrivals enter.

“Princess Luna, Princess Celestia! What are you two doing here? We weren’t expecting both of you to come today.” Said Sixes as all the patrollers rose from the seats and bowed to the two royals.

Celestia, dressed in a casual pair of jeans and a yellow silk shirt, waved them down. “I wanted it to be a surprise. It’s not often I get to visit other worlds anymore and… why is your counterpart wearing a maid’s uniform Luna?”

“No idea sister.”

The elder princess blinked, but chose not to push the matter. “Ok then, moving on. Where is Sunset Shimmer? I wish to speak to her and I don’t see her here.”

“She’s up in AJ’s room,” Mac answered, “I’ll show you the way.”

“Please do.”


Sunset stared up at the apple decorated ceiling, each apple containing a picture of Applejack and her family and friends, it was nice. She liked it. Maybe she should do something like it in her um… home, which was a shack, which she should really think about moving out soon. She was getting tired of living off Mac’s kindness, rent free, tax free, and with free food. Maybe she should offer to pay rent or work for her board? Also she should probably tell her friends where she actually lives… someday. She was kind of embarrassed to admit that for all her claims of being independent, she was probably the most dependent person in town.

“She’s in here.” A voice said outside her door, it was Mac, but who was he talking to? Uncertain and with a weird butterfly feeling in her gut, Sunset feigned sleep and hid under the covers, “Seems she asleep.”

“That’s fine, thank you for showing me the way Mac.” That voice! It can’t be, she can’t be here! She would never leave her kingdom… oh yeah Cadence and Twilight. Backup princesses. She would have to remember that. “I think I’ll just sit beside her for a little while. I would hate to disturb her sleep needlessly.”

“Alright, we’ll be down stairs if you need anything, just ask.”

“If it isn’t too much trouble could I get some tea?”

“No problem.”

Mac’s footsteps faded away leaving her and Celestia, make that Princess Celestia alone! Sunset shivered as she felt the Sun Princess’s hand touch her back, it was warm; warmer than a normal human hand should be. It felt nice though, like the sun was gently kissing her skin.

“Oh Sunset, how I have hurt you,” The Princess began sorrowfully. “I did what I thought was best as your teacher, but I was wrong. You didn’t need a teacher. You needed a mother, a family, something I wasn’t ready to have again. Not after losing Sunny Spark so soon. I told you about her right? I said she was my favorite student and well that is true, it is also a lie. She wasn’t just my student. She was my daughter in law and your mother.”

Sunset couldn’t help it. She gasped, revealing that she was indeed awake, but she had feeling the Princess had already known. Why else would she say such things?

“Can’t get anything past you can I?” She said pushing the covered off. Sitting up on the bed she looked Celestia square in the eyes. Eyes that were usually so guarded nothing could see though them were now open and willing share. “So I guess I was little off when I thought was your daughter and you were just hiding me to keep me safe. I mean, I only remember ever being in the castle all my life and you dotted on me so much, practically raising me. I guess I just assumed…”

“It’s ok Sunset. I should have told you the truth, but…” Celestia looked away ashamed. “There was a time, when you were growing up you accidentally called me mom, it made me so… happy to hear those words again. My son, Crusader, your father he was a bit too much like his father. Uptight and so serious when it came to his duty as a patroller, he rarely called me mother or anything other than Princess. I guess what I’m saying is, I indulged in your fantasy wanting it too much to be reality. Every time I would look at Sunny’s picture though I would be filled with guilt and I soon began to push you away. Nightmare Moon was soon to return and I wanted to lessen the blow in case I didn’t survive the battle.”

Realization hit Sunset like brick, “That vision I saw in the mirror. That future was what would have happened if you…”

“Died? Yes, it was my intention to leave the throne to you and Luna should she have returned to her senses. I would have left it to you and Cadence, but the Crystal Empire would be returning soon also and it would need its ruler back. Perhaps things would have gone smoother had I been less secretive about everything.”

Silence filled the room, neither one of them sure what say.

“So… you’re my grandma?”

“Indeed I am,” Celestia answered leaning close. “Don’t tell Blueblood, at least not right away, he’d probably blow a brain cell if he knew he wasn’t in line for the throne anymore.” They shared a giggle, both imagining Blueblood’s meltdown when he found out the truth.

“That would be hilarious!” Sunset laughed so hard her sides were hurting! “So who’s the lucky stallion that’s my grandfather? Is he even still around?”

“Oh yes, he’s alive and well, in fact you’ve already met him.”

“I have?”

Celestia nodded, “Yeah, it’s Sixes.”

“Wait what…” Sunset did the math in her head and it made no sense. “That’s impossible! He’s like a thousand years old and was frozen in stone before I was born and how… ouch my head hurts. This is a prank isn’t? Ok, enough fooling around who’s my grandpa?”

“I told you it’s Sixes, it’s a very long story, but my son Crusader… let’s just say he wasn’t born normally. He was a Rinin, a dragon pony, one of Madhoof’s experiments, created using Sixes’s blood and one of my feathers. I adopted Crusader as my son and Sixes… well…”

“I chose not to fulfill the role.” The pony in question said entering the room. He flopped down in the chair next to Celestia looking nervous about the whole ordeal. “Sorry dragon ears, I can hear everything down stairs. I just… I guess I would like to be a better father or grandfather in this case. I didn’t give Crusader the time he needed when he was alive. I’d like to make that up with you if you don’t mind.”

Uncertain what to say Sunset nodded, receiving a half arm hug from Sixes and full hug from Celestia. “Ok, but that still doesn’t explain how my mother marries your son from a thousand years ago and how I’m here today. Was I like frozen or something?”

“In a sense yes,” Celestia replied trying think of a way to explain the situation logically. "Sunny Spark was actually born a thousand year plus ago, she met Crusader, they did that thing that stallions and mares do and during one of her checkups, it was discovered she was ill with a terminal disease. One that at the time was incurable. So I took a page out of Sixes’s book and froze her in stone till a cure was made, it took a lot longer than I thought it would, but eventually it was made and Sunny was unfrozen and cured and already carrying you. She carried you to term, but the shock of being frozen for so long, fighting the disease, plus the grief of losing her mate was more then she could handle, adding childbirth on top of all that and… she just couldn’t recover like she should have. She straggled along for two to three years, but she died anyway. Leaving you with me and a kingdom to run and a vengeance crazy aunt about to return and plunge the world into darkness.”

“You are making me feel really bad about my behavior grandma,” Sunset joked, though she did feel bad. She never realized just how much was on Celestia’s plate at the time, if not all the time. She wanted to hide under the covers forever thinking about just how stupid and foolish she was back then.

Celestia as if sensing her mood, raised her chin off her lap and smiled at her. “Well I can’t disagree; I will say I am proud about your progress and the young mare… I mean lady you have become. I know you have become rather fond of this world, but please remember that you have family waiting for you back home.”

Family, yeah she had family, here on earth and in Equestria and she’s treated them both pretty badly.

“Is it ok if I take a walk? I need some time to process this all.”

“Fine by us, right Sixes?”

“Why would I have a problem with that?”

“Hmm, you know I don’t know might be stereo type.”

Sunset snuck out of the room as Sixes and Celestia got into an argument that she did not want to get dragged into if she was called upon to ask who she agreed with. Tip toeing down the hall Sunset made her way down stairs, bumping right into Mac, the person she wanted to talk to.

“Um… hi,” She greeted lamely.

“How are you today Sunset? Feeling better I hope.”

She nodded curling a stained of hair around her finger; a nervous habit. Peering around the corner Sunset made sure none of the sirens, especially Adagio, were around. The former villains would pounce on her like a pack of angry alley cats if they hear what she was about say.

“Can we talk, alone for a little bit?”

Mac shrugged, “Sure, I got a few minutes before I bring Maddie her dinner. Come on outside and we can talk.”

“Sounds good,” She smiled as they walked out onto the porch. Finding a comfortable spot in the shade Sunset took a minute to appreciate the view. Despite living on the Apple’s farm the entirely of her stay on earth she rarely got to enjoy the view of the yard. Mostly she stayed in her part of the orchard, avoiding coming up to the house unless she had a reason to be there; reasons such as Applejack wanting a help with a project or stuff like that. She sighed remembering all the Apple family reunions she’s spied on over the years, it looked like a lot of fun with a lot of good food. It was the event all Apple’s looked forward too, even her.

“What did you want to talk about Sunset? Something need fixed at your place?”

She shook her head, “No, no, everything’s fine and in tip top shape! I just… I just wanted to talk I guess. You know Nico Vega, your dad; he adopted me into the Apple family. He was standing in front of the statue the moment I came out. I walked a few feet and then fell to the ground, it was cold and rainy and I was soaked to the bone almost instantly. Funny thing was he was waiting there with an umbrella. He took me to a local dinner, got me a hot meal and drink and then took me to the court house and got me documentation and all that stuff. The whole time I was acting my usual self-back then, but I had no one else to depend on and I figured hey free food and legal papers. Then he gave me a home and the documents. They read Sunset Apple Shimmer. He said I was an official Apple and that if I ever needed help all I had to do was ask.”

Sunset paused to wipe a stray tear from her cheek, “I don’t think anyone has ever been that kind to me before, not since Princess Celestia taking me in to be her student. I wish I hadn’t had such a chip on my shoulder back then and had actually tried to be a part of the Apple family.”

“Well,” Mac said with a small smile as he pulled Sunset into a hug. “It’s never too late to start. I’m sure Granny Smith would be happy to hear you’re finally ready to an Apple.”

She smiled against his chest, “Yeah, it would be nice. Though I feel like I can never repay you or Nico for everything you’ve done. I don’t think I can ever repay you two in a million years.”

“Think nothing of it, we’re family.”

Sunset squeezed herself against Mac before letting go of him completely, a big smile on her face. She was officially friend zoned or family zoned and she was ok with that.

“Neither the less, I’m still going to try.” She smiled as someone else pulled up into the yard. She didn’t recognize the car at all.

“Come on,” Mac said, “Let’s go bring Maddie her dinner.”


Mac and Sunset carried the hot tray of food to Maddie’s shack in the east orchard. It was just like the others in the west and south, though not as well maintained. Sixes, Fury and Topaz worked hard this past week to make it livable for their… new resident. Once the repairs were complete Maddie had withdrawn into the shack and rarely, if ever come out. She was allowed to leave the shack and travel the around the orchard, but she would need and escort to leave the farm. A spell bound her to the land and would alert them if she tried to leave without permission. A handy thing, though he wished its installment had been different.

“Maddie,” he shouted knocking on the door, “We brought dinner.”

A quiet, “Come in” was their reply.”

Inside the shack was… messy. Papers were scattered about, laptops hummed and fans blew to try and keep the room cool. Maddie still dressed in the same clothes as last time and sitting at her work desk typing away and scribbling notes here and there. A huge map rested on the wall; on it were dozens of pins. For her crimes it was decided Maddie would assist in tracking monsters that appeared from Equestria and find any rogue experiments of her and her father. There quite a few that needed to be found.

“Hot dogs… I guess you guys don’t do vegan?”

“My dad was a pony and he ate meat.”

“He didn’t understand the consequences of too much grease. Neither did your mother, seriously I spied on you guys for a good two years, do you have any idea how many carbs you ate in a day? More than 1800’s lumberjacks that’s for sure.”

“Look you can eat the hot dog or eat the apples outside, take your pick.” Maddie grumbled, but reluctantly accepted the hot dog; covering them with relish and ketchup. “So,” She said chewing, “What do you need? I already got a dozen cases that need worked, but I know you can’t take any till you all healed and that, so why bother me? You don’t really need to keep tabs on me; Sixes’s seal is good enough I assure you.”

Sixes’s seal or rather the large hand shaped burn on her left shoulder just above her breast peeked out of the helm of her shirt. it was a ugly wound and looked very painful. Sixes infused his magic with Mac’s and the orchard's natural magic to create the seal, if Maddie tried to leave the orchard, Mac would know and the wound on her shoulder would burn with red hot heat till she returned to the orchards bounds. Only with spoken permission and an escort could Maddie leave the farm and even a time limit was placed in case she tried to make a break for it. If she stayed away longer then she was allowed the seal would burn her until she returned or got an extension from Mac or her handler.

“I’m sorry about the seal; I wish it hadn’t come to that.”

“Don’t be stupid,” Maddie retorted hotly, “I may have felt the “magic” of friendship, but time makes us forget and old habits are hard to break. Anything less than this and I would be back to my old ways in a few years, black magic is like a drug and you never lose the need for it. Even your siren girlfriends suffer from it; they just got a different drug, namely you, to curve their addiction.”

That… was an interesting statement to say the least. Course the sirens have told him of the effects of dark magic in the past and their recent admittance to feasting on his magic did give credit ability to Maddie’s claim.

“Would eating my magic have a direct effect of them?” He asked curiously.

“Of course,” Maddie answered sharply, “Why else do you think they’ve taken to country living so fast? Are you done here? I would prefer to be left alone.”

“Not even if an old friend came to visit?” A voice said from outside the shack. Maddie froze in place, her mouth agape as she swiveled her chair around so fast she fell onto the floor. There standing in the door way was her best friend Moon Dancer!

Maddie’s mouth struggled to work as she scrabbled to her feet, rushing to Moon Dancer and embracing the girl to make sure she was real. “How are you alive? I told you to jump of a fricken balcony! I’m sorry about that by the way, I…I…” Maddie began choke up with tears. “I’m so sorry!” She wailed into Moon Dancer’s breasts.

Moon Dancer chuckled, patting Maddie on the back, “Shh, shh, it’s ok and yeah I did jump of the balcony, or back flipped. Isn’t gymnastics wonderful? I jumped back into the apartment safety. After all you told me to jump, but you didn’t say where.”

“You clever girl! I could kiss you!”

Moon Dancer blushed as she held Maddie at arm’s length, “I’d prefer if you didn’t. At least till I figure out if well… you know, swing that way. I mean you did kind of… well you know.”

“Right, sorry about that… really I am. I know a great shrink if you want to see her.”

“It’s you isn’t it.”

“You could be better to put you back together then the one that took you apart?”

“Well, I’d say you were crazy if that didn’t make some sense. However I think you might be more in the need of my help rather than the other way around. What I’m saying is despite everything, you are still my best friend and you need help and I want to help you.”

There was a warm fuzzy feeling in Maddie’s chest when she heard those words, she grinned as she wiped away the tears rolling down her cheeks. “Stupid tear ducts, crying when I’m happy, what a stupid thing for the body to do.”

Moon Dancer chuckled as she pulled Maddie into a hug, “You can just say you’re happy to see me you know. Not everything needs to be science related.”

“Everything is science.”

Feeling a little intrusive Mac and Sunset backtracked out the door and left the two friends alone. Trusting they would work things out between themselves.


Mac slumped into his father’s old lazy boy with a sigh of content, it was late in the evening now and he was tired. Mentally he ran through everything that’s happened today, from rebuilding, to doing chores, talking with Sunset and Maddie, and a bunch of other things.

Outside several horns honked as a group of parents rolled up into the yard to pick up their kids. It was a heartwarming sight and a depressing one at the same time. Their parents thought they were coming back from a field trip, when really they were coming back from hell and it was agreed that ignorance is bliss and thus their fears and concerns were pushed down and hidden with smiles. In some ways Mac kind of wished they would have allowed Princess Luna to erase their memories of what happened.

Still it was none of his business and they were all old enough to decide what they wanted to do. Really he wouldn’t want to forget either; whether it’s good or bad it was a part of his life. Mac adjusted to a better position just as Applejack and Sunset entered the room, sporting similar attire.

“Really to go Mac,” Applejack asked as she adjusted her skirt. She was dressed all in black as was Sunset and Applebloom who wondered into the room. He nodded and got up revealing his own attire, his father’s old suit, also black.

“Yeah, I’m ready,” He said taking Applejack’s and Applebloom’s hands. “Let’s go see mom and dad.”

They all piled into the truck and drove towards the cemetery where their parents were buried. In the parking space next to them was Principle Celestia and Luna and their counterparts from Equestria and next to them was a mass of uniformed people. The entire night patrol had gathered to say good bye to their lost comrade. There must have been two hundred people.

The sirens, also dressed in black, met them at the cemetery gate and opened it for them. Together they walked up the hill to the tombstones. Silently they stood in front of the tombstone baring their parents’ names.

Nico Vega Apple & Applejack Abigail Apple

One by one, each patroller walked past the stone paying their respects to their father, sharing stories they never heard before. Many spoke of Nico’s heroism, some of his foolhardiness, other of how he saved their lives. Each tale was recited with joy and admiration for their father.

“I’m glad you found happiness old friend,” Was Princess Celestia’s final words to their father. She held Princess Luna close as the Princess of the Night laid a pair of white and black roses at the base of the tombstone.

Principle Celestia and Luna approached next, “You certainly had a lot of secrets, but you made Applejane happy. Thank you and don’t worry, we’ll look after your kids. They seem to have knack for trouble, just like you.” Luna tearfully said as Celestia rubbed her back.

The final one to approach was Sixes; he said nothing as he knelt down before the stone with his hands a glow. At first Mac was worried, especially when Sixes began to carve into the stone, but he held himself back. Knowing no one here would ever do anything to degrade his father’s resting place.

When Sixes finished his work he moved out of the way to reveal the engraving of a unicorn skull with wings behind it, the symbol of the night patrol, the same symbol they all wore on their uniforms.

Sixes raises his voice for the entire crowd to hear, “Let us give our final farewell to our lost brother, if you would all join me in song.”

“Song?” Mac whispered.

Fierce Fury leaned over and answered, “Traditionally when a patroller is put to rest we all sing a song of tribute.”

Mac nodded in understanding as Sixes cleared his throat and sang…

The song started out soft and then grew, the sound of instruments rose from the crowd, but Mac couldn’t see the players. The melody picked up and the air tingled with power. The sky gave way to the night and the stars shined brighter than he ever seen before. Streaks of lights exploded in the night sky like fireworks, forming shapes that took the form of Nico Vega both human and pony. The imaged changed frequently depicting him doing daring feats to fathering. It didn’t take long for Mac to realize that these were physical manifestation of memories of his father. He felt a tear roll down his face as the final image faded from the sky, it was of their entire family together.

He felt someone squeeze his hand. He looked to his right and saw Adagio with Aria and Sonata, to his left was Applejack, Applebloom and Sunset Shimmer; his family.

After the song ended, the people gathered filed away back to their home in Equestria. Lucky it was late at night and no one was at the school, letting the small army disappear into the night like they were never there. Mac and his family stood in front of the statue, saying good bye and thank you to all those that come to pay respects to Nico.

The final ones to leave were Princess Luna and the ones that come with her. Topaz gave a simple wave and nod before departing. Kira gave each of them a hug and offered to take them to Nippon if they ever decided to visit Equestria. Fierce Fury shook Mac’s hand and nodded in approval. Princess Luna and Sixes were the last to leave.

“If you ever are in need of our help Mac, please do not hesitate to help. We will do our best to close the portals on our side of the mirror to help stem the flow of monsters to your world.” Princess Luna said handing Mac a folded coat. “I asked this world’s Rarity to make this for you; it’s your own official Night Patrol jacket, made from the same material as your old one and enchanted self-mending spells and the works.”

Mac accepted the gift, bowing low to the princess, “Thank you, Princess.”

“Think nothing of it, night patrollers take care of their own.” She gave them all one last good bye, leaving Sixes standing alone outside the portal.

“If you ever want to become a full-fledged patroller or even a night hunter just come over and ask. I’d be happy to train you personally.” Sixes placed a hand on Mac’s shoulder, giving the young man a heartfelt smile. “Nico would be proud of you. You’re a good stallion, I mean man. You’re a good man Mac, never forget that.”

With those final words Sixes slipped back through the portal.

“Come on,” Said Mac as he rubbed the material of his new jacket. “Let’s go home.”


Later that night Mac lay in his parent’s bed. The silence of the night whispering a soft lullaby as the gentle snores of the house’s inhabitants filled the air. Mac couldn’t help but smile as he imaged Applejack and Applebloom fighting in their sleep over the blanket or Sunset probably being cuddled to death by Sonata. Aria and Adagio shared his old room as he decided it was time to grow up and take his parent’s old room, also he would like one night’s sleep without being a part of a human dog pile.

The sound of the floor creaking caught his attention. Mac probably figured someone was up getting a glass of water, but then he heard the front door open. Curious he got out of bed and quietly crept for the door. Has the handle turned he heard something hit the floor with a dull thud, something made of metal. He turned and spotted the object basking in the moonlight, his mother’s old wedding ring.

“Where did you come from?” He wondered aloud picking the ring up and placing it in his pocket. He didn’t want to try and find a place to keep it safe in the dark, afraid he might lose it, and he didn’t want to turn on the lights.

Stepping out on to the porch he spotted Adagio’s big puffy hair against the moon light with the owner staring up at the stars.

“This spot taken?” He joked plopping down next to her. “Having a tough time falling asleep?”

Adagio nodded, “Yeah, something like that.” She held her hand over her stomach.

“You’re not…”

“No, I’m not pregnant.” She answered quickly. “I had Aria look to see if there was any traces of magic… down there. Since magic is basically life energy in this world. She saw nothing and Aria’s eyes are pretty good, she is a sniper after all.”

Mac chuckled, “That she is. Still you seem… how I should say… disappointed?”

Now it was her turn to chuckled, “And you don’t? You can’t tell me you weren’t just a little excited about being a father Mac.”

“Well, it’s something I want eventually, but I think it’s a little early for that. I mean I haven’t even proposed yet.”

“And are you?”

“Am I what?”

“Going to propose? To me that is?” Adagio asked curiously, spotting the ring shape in Mac’s pocket. “Let’s stop dodging the issue Mac. We have a mutual attraction. We’ve done the dirty deed, under mind control, but we still did it. We are basically living together already. Why not just come out with it and make it official?”

Mac blinked, a little off balance with Adagio’s bluntness and seriousness. Usually she was a lot more sultry and flirty when it came to this kind of thing. He fiddled around in his pocket for the ring, the silver shined in the moonlight as he fell to one knee.

“Adagio do you want to get married?”

“Well that’s… the dullest delivery I ever heard for someone offering a marriage proposal,” She snorted accepting the ring, “But it’s nothing less than I would expect from you Macintosh Apple.” She kissed him full on the lips. The two of them getting lost in the moment till the sound of a window opening caught their attention.

“Yay! I’m getting another sister!” Applebloom proclaimed loudly, waking up ever one else in the house.

“Adagio!”

“We could elope right now. Just get on the bike and run, we got time.” Adagio said chucking nervously as Aria and Sonata stormed down stairs. “What do you think?”

Mac shook his head, smiling so wide his lip might split. “Somehow I doubt we could out run them.”

“Your probably right, honey.” She said with a sultry tone that left Sonata and Aria fuming on the porch.

“What happened to our truces?” Aria demanded.

“Yeah,” Sonata yelled backing up her fellow siren in arms, “I thought we agreed to a three way or nothing!”

“That never happened,” Adagio faced palmed, “Besides, first come first serve and all that. I’m sure there are a few other Apples for you to pick from. It’s not like you two haven’t been looking right? I’m sure you two can fight over Big Tex.”

As the three sirens fell deeper and deeper into their argument, Mac could only shake his head and laugh. His life was so strange. First he became a monster hunter, now he was marrying a siren and he was still only eighteen. It was crazy and he loved it.

This was his life and his story and someday he hoped to share it with his kids and their kids for generations to come. Today he had to break up a fight between his bride to be and his new sister in laws.

That was just what needed be done.

Author's Note:

And that's the end! Well that was a fun adventure. Though if I had to do it again, I would have just had Applejack get kidnapped, and left the rest of the mane 6 out and kept the story on focused on Mac and the sirens. Which was my original intent, but sometimes a story goes off the rails and it was too late to go back.

Anyway I hope everyone enjoyed the story and that the ending was satisfying. Ending are hard, specially when you make the perfecting ending and then forget it. This ending is close to my original idea, the format is the same, but the wording is what's bothering me.

Well that's it, please comment and rate and tell me what you think.

Comments ( 12 )

6804020 is there going to be sequel to this story?

7274298 I'm planning story where Sunset finally reveals where she lives to the girls and maybe a prequel with Mac and Aj's father, but a direct sequel? I can't say I have any plans right now, but that could change after a day of thinking, but I don't really know where I would want to go with the story at this moment.

I guess what your idea for what you would like to see for a sequel? It might give me ideas.

7274310 sent you a private message

Story was pretty good, had a fresh idea to it. My main complaint that I have is the wording. A proof reading is needed as multiple times I saw either misspelled words or phrases using the wings words altogether. An example would be when Flutterbat bit the soldiers fingers off. She claims she was a vegetarian but the word written is vegetation.

7305156 Sorry about that I'm still making my way through the story again and I'll admit I'm not familiar with how some words are spelled, even if I know the meaning and know generally how there supposed to be spelled. Sometimes I just hit the wrong word on auto correct.

Thanks for pointing it out though, I'll be sure to get that fixed ASAP.

7327635 I never thought about logistics of the magic. Though really magic can be explained in anyway you can think of. My best answers would probably be,
1. the portals are in the Everfree and appear at random and anywhere. I'm not sure why you think ground level is in probable, though I guess portals have a habit appearing in the sky. I kind of imagined them appearing in the ground like a sink hole and monsters accidentally walk on top of them.
2. I agree a spell would fade over time, especially if the caster died, but if starswirl used the mirror to send the dazzlings to earth he could have programmed the mirror not the let them back and the mirror has it's own power, so it could maintain the spell.

That's just the mindset I had when I was writing, I like said before I didn't put much thought into it for the story. Appreciate the comment, its food for thought for future stories.

7506935 In the course of ten weeks or waited and then read in one go?

I would Love to see a direct sequel of the story telling how Mac is living his Live while hunting demons, planing a wedding and handeling the orchard. But i will habe to wait.

Keep up the good work!

7628074 Well it is being written as I type. The problem is I'm also trying to get another sequel for my Night Patrol story (The parent story of this story) going too, all during fall harvest. The good news is I have plenty of time to think about plots and how to work the story. The bad news is my writing time is sketchy. The other good news is I did already get started, so I'm hoping the first chapter will be done this month sometime.

7628127 No pressure.

Pressure Can Turn a good story into a bad one.

What i mean is Take your time

7629195 No worries, it all apart of the schedule.

Amazing story!

Login or register to comment