• Published 4th Jan 2016
  • 17,243 Views, 1,759 Comments

Principal Celestia Hunts the Undead - Rune Soldier Dan



The faculty of Canterlot High battles otherworldly horrors with style

  • ...
25
 1,759
 17,243

PreviousChapters Next
Long Live the King

Sombra recovered.

He always did. He always would, so long as his Soul Jar remained safe. It was his life, separated and sealed, kept from the hereafter by an old magic which dark things had brought into the world.

The ancient memories were dim. Perhaps the warnings were right, and he forgot something of himself with each resurrection? No matter – he remembered it still, his conquest of those dark things. Men had heaped titles upon him that day: holy, crusader, champion.

Fools! He was always evil, no matter the prayers he lied.

He had been a knight, then king by conquest. He would reclaim it all. Become king – become emperor of kings! – as was the right of the strongest. The right of Sombra.

Sombra recovered. He could feel the warmth of the world. In his blinded eyes, he saw light.

It was all wrong. Sombra felt thin and exhausted beyond measure. His thumb brushed his forefinger, and they both crumbled as though made of dust. He could feel his armor crushing his body in the same way, only held aloft by the grim magic of his pride.

Too soon. His body should take years to regrow, not… days? Hours? Impossible to say, but never in a thousand years of undeath had he felt so weak.

He squinted, trying to see through his blindness. The light… there should be no light. He should rouse in his hidden tomb; not here, wherever this was.

Helpless, Sombra could only wait as his senses rallied. He felt hard stone floor beneath his greaves. Distant chatter could be heard, though not understood. The white in his eyes faded to match the dimness of the room, and he saw the murky green of the walls around him. Bookshelves and plaques checkered them, but they were not of interest. Nor was the massive desk, or the woman seated behind it in a huge and gold-lined chair.

But a small jar sat in the woman’s grip. The clear crystal jar with its red fluid that thrummed with Sombra’s life… that got his attention. He now saw the ropy, twisted purple magic flowing from her hand to the jar, fueling his return.

Perhaps making a point, the woman had brought him back without his crown. No matter – a king was a king, crown or no.

Far from a victorious smirk, the woman’s face was a stern frown beneath too much lipstick. She asked in a matching voice, “Can you hear me?”

Sombra said nothing, for he had nothing to say to her. Yet some twitch must have given him away, for she went on. “I have a deal for you, Sombra.”

Had he the strength, he would have struck her down that very moment. He was a king. A king must be addressed as such, and a king does not ‘deal.’

But a king must also see reason, and her grip on his Soul Jar was very tight. So he tilted his head and let her speak on.

“You and I have much in common. We both stand above the rabble. We both wish for a world where fools know their place, and have the…”

She gave a theatrical yawn, curling her lips back from their oversized fangs. “…Ability to see things through the long term. Not just the ability, but a mindset beyond common bloodsuckers and tomb-tenants. We are superior folk, and I wish to pool our strength.”

The woman scowled as Sombra gave a single, mocking laugh. “To what end?”

“Short term?” The vampire leaned over the desk, causing her eyes to vanish behind her glasses’ glare. “Triumph against a mutual foe. Celestia, of course. The one who has beaten you… four times?”

“Three,” Sombra snarled.

The woman shrugged, idly rolling the Soul Jar in her hand. “We work together. Kill her, and kill all her minions. Beyond that, you’ll just have to wait and see.”

“You seek to make a shield of me,” Sombra sneered. “A ward against your foes, to be hung up at battle’s end.”

The Soul Jar stopped rolling in the woman’s hand. “Perhaps, but there are always other battles.”

Sombra gripped the edge of the desk, feeling his reformed fingers crumble once more. “And only one King of Kings. Who is neither your shield nor your lackey.”

“The world has changed.” She spoke sternly, like a lecturing teacher. “You think of kings like men on horseback, but that is the past. Modern kingdoms are made of stock options, influence, and reputation. There is room for many kings in one city, and you could yet be a great one.”

“Beneath you,” Sombra noted.

The vampire’s soft blue hand twitched around the jar. “As I said… ‘influence.’”

Her chin rose, bringing her flinty pink eyes into sight. “There are two things in this world, Sombra: things I can control, and things to be crushed. Serve me, and you will rise to greatness. I’ll show you how to make it in this pitiful modern world, and you’ll get the power and vengeance that is your due. You will crush Celestia, and become a king beneath me alone.”

“Sombra does not serve,” he growled.

The vampire’s thick lips tightened. “Sombra does not have a choice. You will serve, profit and rule, or face oblivion. Which shall it be?”

He glared. He bared teeth and even snapped, and the cold woman remained still.

Sombra was evil. He always had been, and never pitied the fools who thought otherwise. A thousand years had only sharpened his ambition, his single-minded need to conquer. To cast down the world’s heroes and bring a new age of royal darkness.

It would come to pass. It must, for that dream was his everything. Surely, it was worth the bargain? Visions of lies and treachery danced in his mind. Of accepting this vampire’s foul offer with the full intent of betrayal. Perhaps a minion might snatch his soul from her, or he might strike suddenly one day as she turns her back.

The grand, dark dream… it was still within his grasp.

All he had to do was prostrate himself before this woman.



Sombra drew a breath. It was a willful gesture, for he no longer needed to breath. But he wished to, and so did. He held it a moment, thinking. Reminiscing. Battles and kingdoms, won and lost. The old and sharp ambition, ever close enough to brush his fingers, yet too far to seize.

Sombra was evil. But he was an old, proud kind of evil, and so made his choice.

His mailed fist slammed to the desk, and his last deep breath left in a roar. “SOMBRA DOES NOT SERVE! SOMBRA IS KING!”

The woman gave a slight, cruel smirk as she squeezed the jar. The ancient crystal shattered in her grasp, and Sombra knew no more.

Author's Note:

Divided from the next chapter for DRAMATIC EFFECT.

PreviousChapters Next