• Published 8th Jun 2012
  • 14,907 Views, 328 Comments

Blind Trust - danail24



A human child walks in the middle of Ponyville Marketplace. There she is found by Rainbow Dash!

  • ...
40
 328
 14,907

Chapter 6: Petting the royal face

Chapter 6

“Petting the royal face”

Unedited chapter

With the whole crowd holding their breath, the little human turned around, facing the regal equine who in contrast loomed over her like a giant did over a dwarf. Taking her time to look upon the alien’s face, the first thing the princess noticed were its seeing orbs, immediately recognizing their condition by their pupils, their shade almost the same tone of blue as the irises.

“You are a most interesting creature! I wonder how you came to realize who I was given your eyes.” The diarch advanced closer, sitting besides the outlander.

“Lucky guess!” Kelly giggled playfully before adding “Let’s just say that by a book I read about you, I was able to assume that such a voice could only belong to you. You really do sound like the mother of all ponies just like it said! I am very overjoyed to finally meet you!”

“Princess!” Twilight and the rest of the Elements of Harmony trotted over, aligning and paid their bows of respect.

“Twilight, my faithful student! I am happy to see you spreading the Magic of Friendship to such an extent that it includes out-worldly beings such as this little filly here.” Celestia praised her protégé, earning a sheepish smile and a blush from the lavender unicorn.
“And I must compliment your friend Pinkie Pie for such a wonderful way to celebrate our first contact with alien life forms.”

“Yessiree, Princess! And now that you’re here we’re going to have even more fun! Everything is going to be like Woo-woo-woo-woooo…” The nutty mare bounced frivolously about the ruler of Equestria, orbiting her like a pink moon.

“Uuum… princess… I’ve been meaning to ask you… uuuh… would you tell us how you came to know about our dear friend here?... that is if you don’t mind…” Fluttershy muttered, growing more and more nervous with every word.

“Why certainly! Last night I received some late urgent mail. It seems that a lot of ponies were concerned about an evil alien creature of unknown origins being sighted in Ponyville market, during noon yesterday. Now I see those letters were quite… exaggerated…” The princess finished, resulting a lot of angry glares being directed at the guiltily smiling Moondancer group.
“Now that I am here I would like to ask if it is okay with everypony if I stayed for a little longer?”

“I don’t think anypony would mind, right guys?” Rainbow Dash gestured towards the townsponies, a loud “NOT AT ALL!” heard throughout the building.

The party resuming, the solar goddess redirected her attention back to the human child, giving her a sincere smile and sitting next to her. By her aura, the princess could tell that the outlander was a very sweet, gentle and kind creature. There was also a trace of loneliness way deep inside of her, but interestingly enough these wounds were on their way to healing.

“Since we haven’t had formal introductions, maybe now is the best time to start over. As you already know my name is princess Celestia, co-ruler of the magical land of Equestria. You have probably heard of my sister Luna who rules beside me.” Celestia broke the silence that had been building up for some time.

“Much obliged your highness! I am Kelly Sombermayer, age six, hailing from the land of the United States of America, planet Earth. I must say it’s an honor!” Kelly did a courtesy, lowering her head in respect.

“My you have such a way with words. I wonder where you learned to speak so intelligently!”

“Well, I’ve lived in an orphanage almost since I can remember. I wanted to learn how to read at a young age since I didn’t have anything else to do and the only books I could learn Braille from were some dictionaries for word and sentence forming. I guess learning things is one of my talents.”

“That explains a lot.” The diarch nodded and glanced over at Twilight who was still there, right next to the girl, keeping quiet “And where is she staying Twilight?”

“Oh, she is currently staying at my place. It’s already been a full day, really. She seems to be adjusting well to the pony way of life and…” The smarty pony started over-explaining things when she suddenly felt Kelly’s hand on her back which ceased her rambling.

“Uuuuum, I know it might sound rude but I’d like to ask you something important.” Kelly’s face darkened with hesitation and alarm written all over it.

“Don’t be afraid dear! You can ask me anything.” The alicorn spoke with her demure and soothing voice.

Having been reassured, the alien maiden twiddled her thumbs for a bit, wondering how to go about it, and after a few moments more she finally spoke:

“I guess that after you learned about me and my alien origin, you’re probably thinking of ensuring me a way home as soon as possible. But it’s just that I don’t have anything to return to back on my world. It may be too demanding but I… I just really want to stay here in Ponyville, make it my new home and maybe ask somepony to be my foster mommy that is if they want someone like me.” The little human girl did the most touching puppy-dog eyes ever witnessed, accompanied by her arms draping themselves across her most dearest purple mare.

That struck Celestia very deep in her heart. The desire for the request to be granted was so strong and the innocence in it so pure, that the princess of the day couldn’t help but be willing to relent under its power. Plus, the final gesture of attachment this human displayed towards her most faithful student, made her chuckle mentally. Smiling softly, she gave Rainbow Dash a signal to stop the music, prompting everypony to turn their heads into attention once more.

“I’m sorry if I keep interrupting the festivities but I have one final announcement to make. I princess Celestia, ruler of the day do hereby declare that starting tomorrow the human child by the name of Kelly Sombermayer will be considered a full-fledged citizen of Ponyville, Equestria! Due to her status of an orphan, I shall appoint Twilight Sparkle as her temporary guardian until we settle the matter of adoption. That is if Twilight herself is willing to take on the responsibility.” The radiant alicorn concluded what she had to say, hoofing over the spotlight to her protégé.

“I gladly accept!” Twilight bowed.

“Oh, thank you, your majesty! Thank you, thank you, thank you!” The jubilant orphan assaulted the princess out of nowhere with the most spontaneous of hugs, killing off the chipper mood of the crowd in an instant.

Party horns dropped from several mouths, countless pupils dilated, nervous coughs were shared, a dish dropped to the ground, shattering, dead silence ensuing, interrupted only by Lily fainting dramatically.

“She’s hugging the princess! Isn’t that like… forbidden?… as in nopony is supposed to do that.” Spike whispered over to Rarity who simply nodded in agreement, still baffled at the scene unfolding before her.

“Nopony has ever given me a hug other than my loving sister. I appreciate it!” Celestia returned the hug, putting one of her forehooves over the small maiden’s back.

“I never imagined you’d be so tall. Not to mention that your neck is like a swan’s.” Kelly worked her way up the pony princess’ collar, her hands going across the divine equine’s facial features.

“*giggle* My, my, you’re right! I am like a swan with this neck of mine.”

“Your horn is so long, I can’t reach its end. And why does your mane feel so different? It’s like I’m touching the rays of the sun instead of locks of hair.” The child explored ever so curiously, bewildered at these strange phenomena.

“My mane is magical. It’s a feature that showcases my connection with the sun.”

“She’s touching the princess’ face!” Carrot Top called out faintly.

“*groan* Snap out of it everypony! If the princess is cool with this, then we should all be cool with it too! Come on, let’s party!” RD snapped the gathering out of their trance by turning the music back up, inviting everypony back to the dancefloor.
“If you don’t mind princess, I’ll be stealing Kelly away for a little while.” The Wonderbolt fan snatched Kelly away offhandedly and flew her over towards Fluttershy, Rarity and Pinkie Pie.

“Go ahead then Rainbow Dash. I want to have a private chat with my faithful student in the mean time.” The princess nodded, turning her gaze towards her protégé.

With a small hint, the princess prompted Twilight to follow her to one of the terraces on the upper floor.

“I’m so glad everything is going smoother than I expected.” The magical mare sighed in relief, sitting on her haunches.

The cool night air seemed to do wonders on her strained nerves and the view of the glimmering stars and pale moon seemed to put her at ease.

“And why is that my dear Twilight?” The princess inquired with a hint of teasing.

“Uuuh… Uuum… w-w-what with all the worries about how Kelly’s reception will go, an-an accident regarding a fork and her arm and…” The smarty pony stuttered and stumbled over her words before the diarch’s gentle hooves hushed her.

“There’s no reason to feel alarmed Twilight! I know you were mostly worried by my sudden appearance. You needn’t! I’m not going to take the child away! By what I gathered from her, she is a blind orphan from a world not-unlike our own that needs a parent’s love and protection. You have my word that she will not be turned into a permanent test subject!” The solar goddess nuzzled the unicorn caringly then stood up so she could take a vow on her words.

“Thank you princess! And I’m sorry about my assumptions!” TS’s ears flopped in embarrassment realizing she was acting frantic.

“We all go through these feelings.” Celestia nodded, as she took her place close to her student, then draped a wing over her side, adding “Besides! I noticed how the girl acted around you. I have a hunch that our little human knows who she wants as her mother.” The alicorn winked at Twilight causing the indigo-maned spellweaver to chortle with a cute snort.

“Heeheehee! Just between you and me princess: last night when Kelly and I went to bed, she called me mommy in a whispery voice so I wouldn’t hear. It was so adorable!” the library pony pressed her hooves against her cheeks to express her sentiment over that tender moment.

“I just remembered Twilight!” The princess’ smiling face suddenly changed to that of realization “There was another reason I came here for!”

“Oh? Oh, gosh! Has something dangerous happened? Another changeling invasion? King Sombra is not defeated? Some other disaster of epic proportions?” Twilight’s pupils dilated as all sorts of crazy scenarios zoomed through her head.

“Calm yourself, my faithful student! It’s nothing of the sort! It’s about the Lunar Eclipse festival.”

“Oh, silly me! It’s the most important event of the lunar calendar! Happening every 7 years, it celebrates the moon’s power over the tides of our seas and oceans, and of course it’s a great day to honor your sister princess Luna! The eclipse also recharges the lunar crystal in Canterlot gardens. It can amplify the power of unicorns standing near it for a short time and princess Luna is also majorly empowered by the…” The nerdy equine’s lecture was cut short by another one of her ruler’s hooves.

“I know Twilight! This time it’s going to be even more special with my sister’s recent return. That’s why I want to invite you and your friends to attend the event this year in Canterlot. It’d mean a lot to my sister to meet you all again.”

“That reminds me. Why isn’t princess Luna with you? I bet she’d go ecstatic at the thought of meeting a new life form.”

“She did want to join me but she is busy making preparations for the holiday back at Canterlot. She wants everything set up just like it used to be a thousand years ago.” Celestia chuckled, recalling her sister’s corny old fashioned antics she had witnessed earlier that day.

“I’ll talk with my friends about it. I doubt it will be a problem for us to attend.”

“Oh, and bring little Kelly with you! Luna still wants to meet her and we’ll eventually have to reveal her to the press and therefore Equestria.”

“I’m sure she’ll be thrilled to hear about it! Though I hope you’ll put a leash on the press; a picture or two only and an interview from me. She can’t take speaking in front of public very well. But she’s very friendly nevertheless!”

“That I can arrange!” The ruler of the day agreed, standing back up “Shall we rejoin the others?”

And with that, the teacher and student trotted back into the sugarcoated structure.

That Twilight of mine! She is acting like a mother already. She has come such a long way. They grow up so fast. Thought the princess as she entered the dancing crowd, so engrossed in her pondering that she didn’t notice how the ponies made a path for her just like the Red sea split itself in two for Moses.



No cliffhanger…


Author’s notes: Okay people! From this chapter forth, stuff starts to happen! Stuff that will lead our protagonist through paths she never thought she would ever encounter let alone take! WTF am I talking about? Stay tuned to find out! XD