• Published 12th Jun 2012
  • 5,442 Views, 155 Comments

A Cog in the Machine - Zoom zoom



A 2nd person story where you are a child being raised by Pinkie Pie.

  • ...
11
 155
 5,442

Nightmares and Blackouts Part 1(Draft)

The sound of a scream woke you. Woke you? When did you get to sleep? You were still in the forest. What the heck happened? You could remember rushing through the forest, tracking Scootaloo by her hoofprints. Normally it would help that Scootaloo ran in one direction for you to be able to find her. Unfortunately, she ran into the Everfree Forest. Meaning even if she was still running in one direction, as her tracks were telling you, she was still going into a darker part of the forest you were hesitant to step through. Did you trip somewhere?

Your mind was racing as to how you even got to this point. Something was nagging at you and you felt like you had just gotten over a something serious. Like your breathing only recently returned to normal. Something was wrong here, was it something in the magic of this forest? That same scream sounded again and jerked you from that line of thought. Whatever happened could wait, that sounded like Scootaloo.

The low branches scratched at your coat as you broke through various branches. You were still on her trail but apparently she was either an ace at dodging these things in a panic or you were just that much bigger because it slowed you down considerably.

“H-help!” You only made it to the end of the cliff when you saw it. The stink sinking into your nostrils told you what it was long before you could see what it was. Scootaloo lay at the bottom of the cliff, obviously hurt.

Part of you had to fight back how ecstatic you were about seeing a Timberwolf for the first time. It was the most interesting creature to you in all of equestrian after all. But your friend’s safety came first and you were not about to allow her to be hurt because you were too busy admiring the thing carving her up. The image of Scootaloo’s mangled body flashed in your mind for a second and you shook it off.

“Oi!” you called out in your best Trottingham accent. It wasn’t very good but then again you were not sure why you instinctively switched to it. Likely so that later you could meet these majestic creature and hope your real voice was different enough. That’s what part of you reasoned anyway. “Up ‘ere ya twig sack!”

Talking like Applebloom might help this too so you focused on that sort of speech. At first they ignored you, that was until you started tossing some pebbles at them. That caught their attention. “Come on, wha’ yer doing? That fillies a pile a bones.” Scootaloo looked up with a mix of various emotions, especially to that last comment, but you continued. “Nah, wha’ you need is something bigger. Come on ya’ slowpoke I’m right ‘ere.”

The creature had bounded up to you faster than you expected and you found yourself backing away to get Scootaloo out of sight. Once she was, you felt no issue with allowing your floodgates to open. The fledgling emotions about this moment sprang into you and in a feeling also completely new you, you had rushed to peer into the creature’s eyes. The act of which caught the beast off guard and it didn’t immediately attack.

The glow was nothing like you pictured it. You had assumed because of how fearsome they came across in the books and articles you read that it was glowing from the sheer magic needed to see in the dark. But no, these eyes were lively but still endless. The glow was literally what they were, and the wood quality? You wanted a branch from this so bad but you just couldn’t take it from such a majestic creature.

A sudden thing slams into you as you grab the twig ear in your teeth hoping to keep from being thrown off. With a snap, the twig stayed in your teeth as the wind rushed through your face.

You blinked as you looked up to see a pony you had never met personally, but was hard to miss with all the talk Pinkie and Scootaloo did about her: Rainbow Dash, the fastest pony in Equestria, at least if the gossip was true. That was seriously starting to seem completely true as the mare just as quickly scooped up Scootaloo and flew the two of you out of the forest and back into the main street of town in ten seconds flat.

“What the heck were you thinking kid?” Rainbow asked as she set the two of you down. Scootaloo was still somewhat in shock from all that had happened. “I mean that was kinda brave and all to try and wrestle a Timberwolf. But you could have totally died back there. I’m gonna have to tell Pinkie about this.”

That would have worried you, but it wasn’t your biggest concern. Scootaloo was still shaking him place staring at you. You stepped closer to make sure she was okay and suddenly found yourself on your back once again from the tackling hug of the orange filly.

“You’re alright,” she cried hugging you tightly. “Thank Celestia you’re alright. I don’t know what I would have done if you got hurt because of me.” You couldn’t talk because of the hug. Part of you wanted to flick her sprained wing to get her off. But the other part of you would feel bad about doing it. And a scary part of you actually was enjoying this, even if it was hard to breathe right now.

When she did finally let go she was staring into your eyes. Something froze you dead when that happened. It was pure fear that kept you from moving, of what you had little to no knowledge of. “Just like me,” whispered a familiar voice in your ear. Again the mangled body of Scootaloo stuck in your mind and you twitched your eye trying to get rid of that image that just wouldn’t leave your head. That motion did get Scootaloo to finally move.

“Oh no,” Scootaloo exclaimed suddenly pushing you away and hitting you in the face as she quickly shuffled away. “What am I doing? Applebloom likes you and I almost. Oh no, no no no no.” Her wing obviously pains her again as you got up holding your eye that just got stepped on by accident.

Rainbow looks confused at first but then noticing Scootaloo’s injury finally she lifts her up. “Whoa there Scoots, we’d better get that fixed up.” She turns to you and blinks, obviously holding back a laugh. “I’ll hold my tongue about the forest since you just got that shiner. But if I catch you near there again I’m really going to speak to Pinkie about this. Got it?” You nodded and she flew off.

“Well,” you thought to yourself looking over your scratchs and finding nothing resolved. “Least I still have my health. Still why did I blank out in the middle of the forest? I’d better-“

Your train of thought was cut short by Sweetie Belle and Featherweight trotting into your vision. Somehow, as you came up with a far more plausible and less insane reason you were fighting a Timberwolf, you lost track of everything that happened when it came to that blackout. What did it matter anyway?


Waspinator greeted you when you entered your room finally. The little guy wasn’t much for playing half the time but he was still a good friend to bounce things off of. Maybe that was why Golden Legs gave him to you. Any other pet would take too much of your time for you to even want it around, Waspinator was basically more like a roommate than an actual pet sometimes. He buzzed his concern around your head before you shook your head. “I’m fine. I just need to rest for a bit is all. I gotta lot to think about.” Somewhat satisfied the bug nested in your hair which was basically his bed at this point as you went back down to clean up before dinner.

It was easy enough to treat your cuts, but the magic ice pack Pinkie had still needed to be kept on for a good hour total to make sure it didn’t swell which meant you were going to be at his on and off all afternoon since it was too cold to keep on for more than a minute at a time. Still you had time till dinner and thus sat back to watch your favorite kung-fu movie again to lighten your spirits.

The sound of your guardian’s hoofsteps and bell as the door to sugar cube corner opened was simple enough to catch because of the gasps and cries of the cake family below. It didn’t take long for her to come upstairs. “What happened to you?” Pinkie asked while coming in with her own black eye and a bandage over one leg. A lop sided mustache hung from her lips and she had a thin cut on her left ear and her one good looking leg was bound to a broken bedpost while another had a ball and chain attached, and her forelegs had a symbol and a chicken bone glued to them. When Pinkie parties, she apparently really parties. Though even you couldn’t figure out how she got all that in such a short amount of time when she seemed fine last night.

“Trade you my story for yours,” you offer to her.

Pinkie narrowed her eyes at you and considered what to say for a moment. She opened her mouth and closed it again. “Touché,” she replied and limbed off to her room while you sat back and relaxed.

Author's Note:

At some point when I either get an editor or I'm not caught up playing fire Emblem, wrath of the white witch, and Sly Cooper-also Layton and wonderful 101 likely-I have got to edit these things.

As is I have other stuff to work on Thursday and I don't have time if I wanted it out this week. And editing it next week would mean slacking and not making another chapter of anything.

So correct me were you see spelling and grammar stuff and I'll make an extended cut when I can. for now until I get a new laptop or I get really bad hour cut backs this crap is what I'm afraid you all will be putting up with.