• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 33,015 Views, 2,955 Comments

My Filly, Nightshine - The Abyss



Jason's life has grown dull. After months of living in Ponyville, he can't shake the feeling that there is a void in his life. Then, one day, as he watches a family play in the park, an idea sparks within his mind: why not adopt a pony of his own?

  • ...
195
 2,955
 33,015

Jason's Mistake

As the train began to slow, Lily nuzzled the back of Nightshine’s head. It had been a rather uneventful ride back up to Canterlot, one that she had spent fantasizing about the future with Jason as her lover to keep herself occupied. She had dared not move because she was afraid that it would wake her little companion up. Jason was fast asleep as well. She’d wanted to chat with him on their little trip, but she was content to let him rest against her side.

She was a guard, after all. Guards had to guard.

“Huh? Whereweat?” Nightshine mumbled as she lifted her head just high enough for her to see out the window. As the train chugged along one of the last remaining curves, Canterlot came into view. “Oh!” Her ears perked up. “We’re back at...”

Lily watched Nightshine’s ears flick back down, this time to lay flat on her head. “Something wrong, little one?” she asked.

Nightshine thought for a few seconds. “Nah, it’s just...” She pushed herself upright with her forelegs. “I just remembered about the orphanage.” Nightshine glanced up at Lily. “We don’t have to go near there, right?” she asked.

“Oh, no, of course not,” Lily said with a warm, comforting smile. “There’s no need for us, or even you, to go back there.”

Nightshine sighed in relief. “Good.” Her ears perked up again as she looked back up at Lily. “Hey, do you know where we’re staying?”

“In a hotel, right?”

“Yeah, but which one?” she asked, nervously drawing circles on the cushion with the tip of her hoof.

“Wait, did Jason not make reservations somewhere?” Lily groaned. “Oh dear.”

“Nuh-uh.” Nightshine shook her head. “I don’t think so. I think he was so wrapped up in trying to ask you to the Gala to even think about details like that. Why? Is that bad?”

Lily ran a hoof over her eyes, then sullenly nodded. “Yeah... maybe.” She nudged Jason awake with her left foreleg. “Hey, did you make any reservations with a hotel up here?” she asked as he stirred awake. She had a sinking feeling in her gut that she already knew the answer.

“No, not yet.” Jason yawned and pushed himself up. He pushed his forelegs out straight as he stretched. “I was just gonna find a nice one when we got up there. Can’t be that many ponies going to the Gala.” With the train slowing down as it approached the station, he glanced behind Lily’s head. “How’s it going, cutie pie? Sleep well?”

Nightshine nodded back. “Sure did! Where are we going to stay, though, Daddy?”

“Uh...” Jason rubbed the back of his neck. “In a hotel, of course. I was gonna find a fancy one for us while you two hung out at a café somewhere.”

“With our bags?” Lily asked. “In public? You’re kidding, right?”


Lily humphed and crossed her forelegs. She and Nightshine were sitting inside a café, left by Jason so that he could find them lodging, proving that he was in fact, not kidding. It had been well over an hour since he’d left them with some bits and their luggage, promising to be back as soon as he could find a place for them to rest. The Gala was scheduled to start at seven in the evening and it was already almost one, meaning they didn’t have that much time to get ready for the Gala.

“Well, this is working out great,” Nightshine said, her chin resting upon their table. They’d already eaten a small salad and a slice of cake, graciously paid for with Jason’s bits. “I wonder if he’s found a place for us.”

Lily sighed. “I don’t think so. The Gala isn’t just some big party held once a year, it’s an event that sprawls the whole weekend. Even though it’s held just one night, all the rich folk up here host numerous afterparties and get-togethers, meaning that ponies from all over come to Canterlot for the weekend. For the last several years, every single hotel room has been sold out. I don’t think that he’s gonna find a spot.”

“Well, where do you stay? Can we stay with you?”

“What do you mean?” Lily cocked her head to the side. “Oh! I stay in the barracks. Trust me, you don’t want to see them. It’s nothing special.”

“Isn’t it your home?”

“Technically yes, it’s where I sleep, but I wouldn’t really call it a home. It’s just a room where I share a bunk bed with my best friend, Abigale.”

“Oh... that doesn’t sound nice.” Nightshine tensed up. “About your room, that is. I can see why you were so happy when Jason asked you to the Gala and when he asked you if you wanted to snuggle.”

Lily felt her cheeks warm. “Yeah, it sure beats sleeping in the barracks.”

“I bet it does...” Nightshine took a sip of water. “So... about those parties... do the princesses get to go to them?” Lily nodded. Nightshine’s ears perked up at that. “Oh, cool! So does that mean you got to go partying with Luna all weekend?”

Lily nodded, a smile growing on her face. “Yeah, in a way, I suppose. Abigale and I would volunteer to keep her safe; sure beats standing guard in some hallway or in the throne room.”

“Did you get to wear anything fancy?”

Lily’s smile faltered a bit. “Sadly, no. Well, actually, if you count our uniforms, then yes. We always had to be in our full guard uniform, including our armor. Gotta be ready for anything.”

Nightshine giggled. “Did you ever have to bare your fangs at anypony that got too close to Princess Luna?”

“Like this?” Lily bared her fangs and hissed, doing her best to look as fearsome as possible. Interestingly enough, it only made Nightshine giggle more, drawing attention to them. She quickly closed her mouth and flicked her head to the right, letting her hair fall down to cover most of her face.

“That was so cool! Can you teach me to be scary like that?” Nightshine asked, her voice full of unbridled excitement. She stood up and placed her front hooves on the table, her tail swishing about behind her like a dog’s.

Lily waved her down with a hoof, making Nightshine’s smile fade away. “Of course, but not now. In time, though,” she said, feeling bad that she ruined Nightshine’s fun. “I gotta teach your dad to be scary if he’s gonna stay a thestral, too. Daddies gotta keep their littles ones safe, after all.”

“You can teach us together!” Nightshine said, her smile returning in full force.

“Sure, I don’t see why not.” Lily noticed the door to the café opening, recognizing that familiar shade of gray out of the corner of her eye. “Looks like he’s back.” She waved him down with a hoof, and as he finally made his way to them, he slumped down beside Nightshine and groaned. “That bad, huh?" she asked.

“There’s literally no openings anywhere,” he said, his eyes locked on the table. “You were right, Lily,” he said. With a sigh, he glanced up at her, ready for a verbal lashing of ‘I told you so's.’ Instead, he saw her smiling at him, a smile that wasn’t born out of malice or contempt.

“I... I might have an idea. It’s risky, but it just might work,” she said. She pushed herself out of the booth and stood up. “You mind hanging out for a bit while I go find a certain pony? It shouldn’t take long.”

“Who?” Jason and Nightshine asked at the same time.

“I’ll tell ya if it works!” Lily called back over her shoulder as she trotted out of the restaurant.

Jason’s gaze followed her out of the door, then he looked down at Nightshine. Draping his wing over her, he asked, “So... who’s she going to go see?”

Nightshine shrugged. “I don’t know. She didn’t tell me.”

“You sure?” he asked again, wondering if she was hiding the truth from him.

“Yeah, really. She and I just talked about bat stuff.” Nightshine scooted closer to him and lay her head against him.

“Oh? Did she... Did she say when she’ll be back?” Jason asked.

“Nah, I don’t think so. I guess she’ll get back when she gets back,” Nightshine said. With her head hung low, she glanced up at Jason and asked, “Do you think we’re even going to get to go to the Gala? We already came all this way, and to be so close...” She let her head come to rest on top of the table.

“Of course we’re gonna get to go! Like you said, we already did come all this way. Let’s see what Lily has to say when she comes back.”