• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 33,154 Views, 2,955 Comments

My Filly, Nightshine - The Abyss



Jason's life has grown dull. After months of living in Ponyville, he can't shake the feeling that there is a void in his life. Then, one day, as he watches a family play in the park, an idea sparks within his mind: why not adopt a pony of his own?

  • ...
196
 2,955
 33,154

Wishful Thinking

“Sure feels a lot longer going back up than coming down,” Nightshine grumbled. It’d felt like several hours had passed when in reality only a couple hours had slipped by. She had moved out of the snuggle pile and into her own seat after an hour because both Jason and Lily kept shifting and keeping her awake, though she had a feeling it was more due to the train jostling back and forth than them trying to get into a more comfortable spot. On the other hoof, she didn’t mind all that much because she had a feeling there’d be loads of quality snuggle time in the coming days and weeks.

Nightshine sighed and stared out the window, watching Ponyville slowly disappear against the horizon. She tried to find her house amongst all of the other ones back in town, but even though she had found it once, the further they got made the houses grow smaller and turn into one big lump, making it incredibly difficult to figure out which one was really hers. Once the train chugged along a curve, she looked up at Canterlot and groaned; it was a lot further away than Ponyville was.

“Bored?” Lily piped up, lifting her head from her hooves. She glanced at Jason and saw him fast asleep, snoring softly. “Yeah, the train ride always takes a long time, but it’s relaxing. I always preferred flying, just like any other pony with wings does, but we have suitcases and bags to worry about. I doubt any pegasus or thestral going to the Gala would fly with their nice clothes in a saddlebag.”

“I guess...” Nightshine blew an errant lock of hair out of her eyes and let her head come to rest upon the cool glass of the window. A large yawn forced itself past her lips.

A few seconds of silence filled the train car. “Did you... did you sleep well enough last night?” Lily asked.

“Sorta... I kept waking up because I wanted to make sure we didn’t miss the train.”

“I thought I heard you stirring around. Thin walls and all. You wanna catch a few zzz’s before we get to Canterlot?” Lily asked. “C’mere, I can tell you’re still pretty tired.” She scooted over and opened up her right wing, flicking her tail to form a tight crescent, a perfect spot for snuggling. “I don’t mind staying up and watching over us. Least I can do for you waking us up on time earlier.”

Nightshine’s eyes went wide for a moment, her heart rate speeding up. “R-Really?” she asked, her ears flicking up. “If you don’t mind...” she said, and after a nod and a smile from Lily, she leapt from her seat and landed right next to Lily, teetering on the edge of the seat for a couple seconds before Lily pulled her in with a hoof. She gingerly turned around and lay down next to Lily, letting her head rest on top of Lily’s right foreleg.

An overwhelming urge to nuzzle Lily as a silent sign of thanks came to the front of her mind, though another part held her back and made her tense up. She so dearly wanted to fulfill her fantasy of having a mother and a father, and even though she was already halfway there, she didn’t want to ruin Jason’s chances of finding somepony to settle down with. As she bit the inside of her cheek thinking, she felt Lily’s wing drape over her back, its warmth purging all those uncomfortable thoughts from her mind, replaced by an ever-growing sense of warmth and comfort that coaxed a smile onto her face.

Lily noticed that Nightshine hadn’t fully relaxed. “Something wrong, little one?” She lifted her wing and peered down, wondering what the matter was.

Nightshine took a deep breath and let it out slowly as she forced herself to relax. “Nah... thanks,” she said as Lily’s wing came back down.

“Ya know, Jason’s still fast asleep... Is there something on your mind?” she asked.

“I... I dunno. I mean, yeah, there is, but I don’t know how to say it,” Nightshine mumbled out. “Thanks for this, though. I always dreamed of having a—”

Lily’s breath caught in her throat as she realized what Nightshine was talking about. “Oh, a mother...” she whispered, barely loud enough for the two of them to hear. She frantically thought for something to say, then softly said, “Well, we can, uh... pretend for a while until...” She trailed off as she struggled to figure out how to finish her sentence. A few moments passed as she stared into the seat cushions of the seat in front of them, unable to figure out what to say. She felt Nightshine relax a little.

“Until you have to go back to work in Canterlot?” Nightshine asked, unable to keep her voice from sounding a little depressed. “I know you live up there and have a job guarding the princesses and we live so far away.”

Lily’s ears flicked back and forth as she pondered what to say, a light smile forming on her face as she came to a grand conclusion. “Until it’s real,” she whispered into Nightshine’s ear, following it up with a light giggle to put her at ease and to show her true intentions.

“B-But you two just met. You’re not my m—”

Lily felt her tail aimlessly flick back and forth. “While I’m not your mother, who says I can’t treat you like my own while Jason and I see if the relationship between us can work? I know it’s still something new but I have a good feeling about this. Isn’t it the point of any relationship to put your best hoof forward?”

Nightshine thought for a couple seconds. “Yeah, I suppose.”

“I know so. You don’t get into a relationship hoping for the other pony to take care of you and do all the work, after all. Both ponies have to put in a lot of work to make the relationship grow.”

“Yeah, so... each pony has to put in fifty fifty, right?”

Lily chuckled. “You’re on the right track, but no, it’s actually one hundred one hundred. You see, if both ponies put in only fifty percent effort into the relationship, their love and their relationship will eventually grow stagnant, but if both ponies put in one hundred percent effort, the relationship would grow and flourish into one that would hopefully last a lifetime.” Lily felt a light blush warm her cheeks as her own vision of growing old with a strong stallion popped into her mind, coincidentally being rather similar with how Jason looked like as a thestral. “That makes sense, right? I used to think that too until my own mother told me about that.”

“Yeah, it does! I like it!” Nightshine said with glee, her fears put to rest. She finally let herself relax, and after taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly, she nuzzled Lily’s side and got comfortable. As her breathing slowed, she felt sleep start to tug at her mind, gently coaxed along by the small rising and falling of Lily’s side. “I think you’d make a great mother...” she whispered, followed by a quick yawn.