• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 33,154 Views, 2,955 Comments

My Filly, Nightshine - The Abyss



Jason's life has grown dull. After months of living in Ponyville, he can't shake the feeling that there is a void in his life. Then, one day, as he watches a family play in the park, an idea sparks within his mind: why not adopt a pony of his own?

  • ...
196
 2,955
 33,154

Nightshine's Question

“Alright little one, time for bed,” Jason said, fighting to keep his eyelids from sliding shut, for if that happened, he had no doubt in his mind that he would fall asleep on the couch. Nightshine was already fast asleep on his back, her head against the back of his neck. Her body’s warmth kept trying to lull him to sleep, so knowing that if he didn’t get up right now, he was surely going to fall asleep. With a low groan, he opened his wings and used them to keep her in place as he carefully slipped off of the couch.

“Daddy? Oh.” Nightshine blinked a few times, then rubbed her eyes with her front hooves. “Was I sleeping?” she asked with a giggle. As Jason carried her into her bedroom, she let her forelegs curl up against her chest as she wiggled into a more comfortable position, though that was all for naught as he let her roll off his back onto the bed. “You know what I’m gonna ask, right?” she asked, shooting him a grin.

“If we can snuggle?” Jason asked.

“Well, duh! Of course I was gonna ask if we can snuggle! Gotta make up for all those years in the orphanage after all.”

“You have a good point.” Jason lay down on her bed and pulled the sheets open for them. He smiled at her as he patted the empty spot beside him. “I really should get a bed this comfy for myself.”

“You totally should! I'm really glad that you wanted to try being a pony like me,” she said with no small amount of hopefulness in her tone. “So... can we snuggle a little bit? Pretty please?”

“I don’t see why not.”

Nightshine squeed.

Jason rolled over onto his stomach. Nightshine squirmed underneath his right wing with glee, then let loose another yawn. “We had a pretty good day, didn’t we?” he asked.

“Mhm...” Nightshine yawned and nuzzled his leg into a better position, then laid her head upon it. “Night, Daddy.”

“Goodnight, little one...”

A few hours later, Nightshine stirred awake. It was still the middle of the night, but she felt wide awake for some odd reason. She cracked her eyes open, feeling Jason’s chest rise and fall against her wing. The moonlight was shining in through the window, its light gracing her vision. Wanting to get a better look due to the fact that the orphans were never allowed out of bed after hours, she wiggled her way out from Jason’s wing as carefully as she could, then walked over to the window.

Once she was sure that she hadn’t woken him up, she let her head come to rest on the windowsill and stared up at the moon, letting her thoughts drift about, eventually settling upon her friend, Sea Stride. I wonder how he’s been doing... she thought, her ears flicking back. He was my only friend back at the orphanage, and I don’t have any friends here, well... at least not yet. Maybe I can ask Jason if we can go looking for him? I don’t know where we could start, though... He might not even be in Canterlot.

Nightshine glanced back at Jason. Out of all the ponies at the orphanage, why did he pick me? After so many families passed me up, why did he pick me? That question gnawed at her heart and mind for countless minutes, the urge to wake him up and ask him growing ever stronger until she couldn’t bear to sit there and stir in her inner turmoil. Hoping that he wouldn’t be upset that she woke him up, she hopped back up on the bed and nuzzled Jason awake. “Daddy?” she asked. “I wanna ask you something.”

“Huh? What’s up?” Jason asked, rubbing his eyes with a hoof. "Everything okay?"

Nightshine lay down next to him, her tail swishing around. Her question danced on the tip of her tongue, and she wondered if she should even dare to ask him. She had to know, though. “Why did you adopt me?” she asked softly, unable to meet his questioning gaze. His hoof came to rest on her chin, gently lifting her head up. She glanced up at him and saw the most comforting smile sitting plainly upon his face.

“Because you’re special, little one,” Jason said. He rolled over and nuzzled her cheek. “How could I even think to adopt anypony else?”

Nightshine giggled a little bit, but a feeling in her gut told her that he was holding back. “That’s a good point, but... why me? Why not some other regular pony?”

“Uh...” Jason sat up a little straighter, feeling Nightshine’s gaze pierce his very essence. “Well...” He rubbed the back of his neck as he cleared his throat. “To be blunt, I’m an outcast here. I was born on a different planet, one similar to this one but different in so many ways. There was nopony else like you at the orphanage, and I never knew thestrals even existed, so... I felt that you were an outcast, just like me, and when we first met, I felt something right here in my chest,” he said, poking just below his neck. “And I know you felt it, too.” He poked Nightshine’s chest with the same hoof. “Right there; I saw it in your eyes the moment we met. Serenity tried to convince me to adopt another pony, but my mind was already made up. I knew I made the right choice back then, and I know I made the right choice even now. I think you’re the perfect filly, Nightshine... My only regret is that I didn’t adopt you sooner.”

He opened his wing again for Nightshine to scoot under, but Nightshine folded it back against his side with a hoof. She nuzzled it for a couple of seconds, then draped her left wing over his back. It didn’t reach all the way around, but that didn’t matter; her message rang true. She snuggled closer to him, then laid her head on one of his forelegs again.

“Thank you,” Nightshine whispered as she closed her eyes, trying to keep her tears of happiness at bay. She felt her cheeks grow wet with her tears, but that didn’t matter. She didn’t care if he saw, either, though part of her wanted him to know just how much his words made her heart thump harder with the purest of joy.