• Published 11th Jan 2016
  • 33,112 Views, 2,955 Comments

My Filly, Nightshine - The Abyss



Jason's life has grown dull. After months of living in Ponyville, he can't shake the feeling that there is a void in his life. Then, one day, as he watches a family play in the park, an idea sparks within his mind: why not adopt a pony of his own?

  • ...
196
 2,955
 33,112

Lily

Jason spent all morning tidying up as best he could. Washing the dishes and putting them away was much harder than he had anticipated, so he was relieved when Nightshine had stepped up to the task. As the clock neared noon, he became more and more frantic, doing the easiest things first.

Suddenly, he heard somepony knock on his front door. His head whipped up, a few stray hairs from his mane blurring his vision. He pushed them away with his hoof, then waved Nightshine over. She scampered over to him with an excited smile, then climbed up his hind leg, using her wings to help her up. He felt her stand up on his back, then felt her two front hooves on the back of his head. “Heh, excited?” he asked, peering out the window next to the door.

“To meet another princess and another bat pony? How can I not be super excited?” Nightshine asked, followed by a quick squee. Wait... where’s the bat pony? She jumped off of his back and hopped in place, her eyes wide. “So what’re you waiting for? Open the door and let them in!” She breathlessly watched Jason trot across the room. “Wait!” she cried out with an outstretched hoof. Nightshine walked up to him, her tail tucked in between her hind legs. “How do I look?” she asked with a sheepish blush.

“Lovely, little one... fit for a princess!” Jason said with a chuckle as he tousled Nightshine’s mane.

“Hey, stop that!” Nightshine said with a giggle. “You’re going to mess my mane up!”

“Oh, you look fine.” Jason’s ears perked up as he heard knocking again. “Can’t dilly-dally any longer...” He placed a hoof on the door’s handle, took a deep breath, then pulled open the door. Looking up, he found himself face to face with Princess Luna. “My princess...” he said with a deep bow. “You have my deepest thanks for your assistance with my daughter.”

“Rise, my little pony,” Princess Luna said, lifting Jason’s head with a gentle hoof. “While I appreciate the gesture, I’m not here on business. May we come in?” she asked with a soft smile.

“Of course, of course!” Jason stepped aside and pulled the door all the way open. He nodded at Twilight as she walked in, and when he didn’t see the last member of their group, he asked, “Uh, Twilight? Didn’t you say that there would be some kind of guard or something?” He stuck his head outside and glanced around.

“My guard is securing the area, even though we are in what’s probably the safest place in Equestria,” Luna said. “She’s very committed to her job. May I sit down?”

“Please, make yourself at home!” Jason gestured at his couch with a hoof. “Would you like some tea? I made some about twenty minutes ago...”

“That would be splendid, as I am rather parched, but first.... might I ask where little Nightshine is?” Luna settled down on the couch, letting her tail and half of her forelegs lay over the edge.

Jason glanced towards the kitchen, then cocked his head to the side as he looked back. “She was here a second ago,” he muttered. Jason felt something tap the back of his right hind leg, then heard something rustle behind him. With a knowing chuckle, he looked back over his shoulder and spotted Nightshine running her two front hooves through her tail as she bit her lip. She was quivering, her ears were flicked back, and above all, she had her back pinned against the wall, using the door to hide from their guests. His eyebrows furrowed at the sight. “Hey... what’s wrong?” he asked in a hushed voice, lowering his head to her height. “What happened to you being all excited?”

“Did you... see that bat pony?” Nightshine asked, her voice a bit shaky. “She looks so scary!”

“Does she? I didn’t get a good look.”

“Yeah, I think I saw her walking around a second ago... She’s not coming inside, is she?” Nightshine whispered, peering between Jason’s legs as she used his tail for cover.

“Of course she is; don’t be silly. I’m sure she’s really nice. Why else would she be in charge of guarding a princess?”

“I... I dunno,” Nightshine said, her voice full of uncertainty.

“You wanna say hello to Princess Luna?” Jason threw on a comforting grin. “I’m sure she’s very eager to meet you.” He looked back and saw Luna pushing herself up and off the couch. “Matter of fact, she’s coming over right now!” Jason stepped back and sat down, letting Princess Luna get a good look at his daughter.

Nightshine stared up at Princess Luna with wide eyes, her breath caught in her throat. Licking her dry lips, she realized that she was in front of royalty, so she jumped to her hooves and bowed, her legs trembling from sheer nervousness.

“My, my, aren’t you a little precious pony, hm?” Luna sat down and lowered her head. “It is quite the honor to finally meet you, little one.”

“T-Thank you, Princess Luna!” Nightshine said with glee. She was about to compliment her sheer beauty when she heard somepony walk up to the front door and cough lightly. She’s back! she thought with a whimper. Her ears flicked back as she scooted behind Jason’s tail again.

“Hm?” Jason looked up and finally laid eyes on the last member of their party. His jaw nearly dropped open wide as a stunning mare in full armor casually walked past him, looking at him with an inquisitive gaze. She had a silky lilac mane that glimmered in the light and had a gray coat a couple of shades lighter than Nightshine’s. Her eyes were a brilliant shade of magenta, vibrant and full of energy. Her mane was short, though it wasn’t short like a woman’s military haircut would be like back on Earth. “H-Heya,” he said rather weakly, a nervous grin on his face. He cleared his throat and spoke more confidently, saying, “I’m Jason,” in a deeper voice. Her tufted ears perked up at that. He also noticed a small shiver run through her wings. He extended a hoof as if he was going for a handshake, and after a few moments passed in agonizingly slow silence, right when he was about to drop it in embarrassment, she bumped his hoof with her own.

Lily dropped her hoof to the floor, stood at attention, then barked out, “Area secure, princess!”

“Thank you, Lily. Please, relax and be yourself; I want our visit to be casual,” Luna said with a small, knowing grin.

“Very well.” Lily paced around Jason, hungrily eyeing him up and down. “My, my, for being a different species, Twilight did a great job picking out a look for you. You know that you could be on the cover of a magazine? A beautiful dark gray coat, a chiseled chin, and matching wings? You didn’t tell me you turned him into a stallion, Princess Twilight,” she said in a soft yet sultry tone of voice, holding Jason’s gaze with one of bridled desire.

Jason couldn’t do anything but gulp and watch as she stalked around him, much like a predator about to pounce on their prey.

“Lily, hush,” Luna said with a sly grin, a laugh, and a wave of her hoof. “That’s just his temporary form.”

“And will he keep it if he wants to stay in this better form?” Lily paused and let a warm smile grow on her face, feeling her tail swish about behind her. “On the other hoof, if this is what you look like as one of us, I’d love to see what you’d look like as a... hooman?” she asked, looking at Twilight for clarification as she started to drop the sultry predator act.

“A human, yes,” Twilight said with a soft blush. “And thanks for the compliment. I actually had no hoof in choosing his appearance.”

“Interesting...” Lily took off her armor, stored it all near the door, then stretched, pushing her wings out as wide as they would go. She looked around for a couple moments and spotted Nightshine cowering behind Jason’s hind legs, her eyes lighting up with joy as she flopped down in front of her. “Oh my gosh, you’re so adorable!” she said, her rump and tail wiggling back and forth. Nightshine shied away from her touch, making her pause for a moment before she shook her head, letting her mane regain its usual shape. “Aww... did my armor frighten you, little one?” she asked, her smile faltering a little bit. “I know, I know... it can be pretty scary, but I promise I’m a nice pony,” she admitted, her ears flicking back as a blush formed on her cheeks.

“M-Maybe...” Nightshine murmured as she hesitantly looked up at her. “Do you really think I’m cute?” she asked, her voice gaining a bit of its usual confidence back.

“Of course I do!” Lily laughed. “Just look at your mane; what kind of product do you use in it? It’s so shiny!”

“Um...” Nightshine looked up at Jason, then back at Lily. “I don't know... I just use the stuff that Jason buys from the store. It’s nothing special, really. I don’t remember what brand it is.”

“What?!” Lily sat back in shock as her ears flicked back. “No no no, that won’t do at all!” she said, shaking her head as she waved a dismissive hoof in the air. “We must absolutely go shopping and get you some product! A pretty young mare like yourself simply cannot go without!” She leapt to her hooves and looked at Luna. “Princess, can we—” She paused upon seeing both Luna and Twilight trying to stifle their giggles with their hooves.

“Yes, Lily, you and Nightshine may go. I will be fine here with Twilight and Jason.” Luna nodded at the door. “Well, what are you two waiting for?”

Lily pranced in place with glee. “Well, what do you say, Nightshine? Wanna go have a girl’s day out on the town?” she asked with a gentle, yet very excited smile.

Nightshine perked up, her wings bristling in excitement. “I’d love to! But... I don’t have any money...” She flicked her tail around and grabbed it between her forelegs.

“Oh, pshaw! It’s on me!” She glanced at Jason, unable to keep a sheepish smile from sliding on her face. “That is, if it’s okay with you, of course. I kinda brought a lot of bits for this very reason.”

“Uh...” Jason cleared his throat, then shot a look at Twilight, hoping she’d say something to help him out.

“I trust Lily with my life, Jason. Nightshine is perfectly safe with her,” Luna said, her voice soft yet powerful. “I think it would be wonderful for her to spend some time with another thestral, too, especially given her circumstances, but only if you feel if it is okay.”

“Dad?” Nightshine tugged on Jason’s tail and looked up at him with pleading eyes. “Please can I go?”

Jason sighed, then smiled down at her. “I... I guess,” he said after a few moments. He rubbed the back of his neck with a hoof, then sat down. “Don’t drive her too crazy, okay? She’s here to help us out, after all. And please, for the love of all that is holy, be safe.”

“Thanks a lot, Daddy!” Nightshine leapt up, wrapping her legs around his neck as she ferociously nuzzled him into submission.

As he watched Nightshine and Lily trot outside, Jason looked at Twilight and sighed. “Can’t help but feel a little over protective of her,” he said with a sheepish shrug. As he watched them trot away, he chewed on his lip, feeling rather antsy about letting Nightshine go shopping with a stranger. “Maybe I should keep an eye on them...” he said, a hoof raised to go follow them.

“Well... I did bring a bag of bits to go shopping,” Luna said. “Could be fun to see if Rarity is up to the task of designing my next Grand Galloping Gala dress. Speaking of which...” She glanced between Twilight and Jason, then fished a couple of scrolls out of her saddlebag. “You are all invited!” Luna lit her horn and levitated both of them to Jason. “Even little Nightshine, too” she said with a soft smile.

“Sorry for being clueless, but... what’s the Grand Galloping Gala?” Jason asked, unrolling one of the scrolls. “You are cordially invited to the Grand Galloping Gala on... this weekend?”

“I am sorry that it took so long for you to receive the invitation, but I want to see Nightshine’s expression. I am certain that she knows of this special event and I thought it would make her day to allow her the privilege of attending.” She poked Twilight’s side with a sole feather. “You can thank Twilight for that; it was her idea, after all.”

“Wow... thank you, really. I’m honored.” Jason noticed two golden tickets at the bottom of the scroll. “Wait, why two?” he asked, cocking his head to the side. “Oh, is one for Nightshine?”

“No, actually,” Twilight spoke up. “The other ticket is for your plus one, if you so choose to bring somepony else as your date.” She glanced away, crossing her forelegs. “I already got my ticket a couple of weeks ago; same with all of my close friends.” Twilight looked back up at Jason, her tail swishing ever so slightly. “Any idea who you want to bring as your plus one?”

Jason paused, looking at the scroll again. “I have no idea. I haven’t really made any friends that are that close,” Jason said with a chuckle. “Inviting somepony to the Gala is pretty much like asking them on a super special first date, right? I haven’t looked at anyone in that kind of light since I got here, so... is it okay if I don’t bring anypony? I am still getting used to being a pony, after all. It hasn’t even been a full twenty-four hours.”

“Well... while it is tradition to bring a plus one, it is alright if you don’t have anypony to bring,” Twilight said, her ears flicking back as her gaze slipped to the floor. Luna shot her an odd look, but she ignored it, biting her bottom lip as she fought to not look at her.

“I see... Well, I think it’d be pretty fun to go!” Jason said as he placed his scroll and the two tickets down on the coffee table. “Lemme go grab my saddlebag to throw Nightshine’s invitation into, and then we can go keep an eye on those two...” As he trotted past the kitchen, he realized that he had forgotten to pour some tea for his guests. “Uh... about the tea...” he said with a nervous chuckle. “Lunch is on me, okay?”

“He should not have said that,” Luna said, stifling a giggle with her hoof as she heard Jason walk further into his home.

“And why might that be, hm?” Twilight asked with a knowing smirk.

“I am going to positively eat everything at the Cakes’ bakery. Pinkie does have a knack for cooking tasty treats, and I am going to clean... them... out!”