• Published 8th Jan 2016
  • 4,299 Views, 250 Comments

My Little Universe: Season 2 - EquestrianKirin



The Gems and Ponies are back, and with more surprises in store.

  • ...
14
 250
 4,299

Dragon Scale

The area was rather, to put it lightly, vast, with the Crystal Gems going on about the place. As it stands, despite the work on the ship, they still had other tasks to take care of. Here; Garnet, Steven, Pearl, Amethyst and Lapis all were in a large Gem location, but the area didn't appear to have any sort of actual Gems there, be it sentient or geographical types. In fact, the place was very widespread along an open field, going for miles to distant hillsides. The whole area had no trees; all open plains full of low-growing vegetation, with grass growing in opened pockets. The vegetation itself wasn't as varied as some people would think, as many bushes were actually growing strawberry bushes, fruit ripened along the bundles. Across the valleys and hills though, there was many areas with huge chunks of land levitated above the ground, varying in size from small stepping stones, to others stretching stories high. Along the ground however, there was evidence of many swords, shields, axes, and other weaponry still amongst the land, embedded in the dirt and overrun by the vegetation. Despite different appearances, one thing was universal; a sign of gemkind symbolism and the sense of warfare usage carved within every single one present. As for the Gems there, the main task was a simple check and for extra supplies for gather. Who knew what will actually happen when they do get to Homeworld? Even if they have their respected Gem weapons, still a few would need actual weapons just in case (Lapis and Peridot for example). Since many weapons were still varied in shape, it felt more like browsing a weaponry pawn shop (but without paying or assistance of course).

Lapis and Steven were together for this task as the other Gems wandered about, looking through different parts of the vast plain, trying to find what they could use. Steven eventually pulled out one of the many swords from one of the strawberry bushes, though it was a bit large for him (by large, meaning he had to drag it out)

"Cool!" Steven said, looking at the cool sword. However, Steven tried to lift it up, but the blade of the sword ended up falling off. Must've worn out from wasting away. Bummed out, Steven threw the handle away and continued looking. Lapis then saw another handle sticking out, but she couldn't seem to pull it out at first. Her water wings went out of her Gem, and Lapis tried to fly out with it until it eventually got loose. The weapon was a medium sized, yet HEAVY ball mace. Would work, but it was too heavy for her, so she decided to forget it, and dropped it back on the ground.

"Too heavy for me. Find anything Steven?" Lapis asked as she landed. Steven found another, much lighter ball mace, but the ball on the end just fell of soon after he pulled it up. the ball actually flew off, and landed nearby.

"OUCH!" Amethyst yelled, getting hit in the head with the object. Steven placed the item down.

"Nope," replied Steven. Nearby, Garnet had found another weapon; which was a gigantic axe. It was huge, making Garnet look like an ant picking up a huge leaf (and just as easily done). Pearl, who was right by Garnet, looked over to her.

"Nice," Garnet commented. Lapis and Steven could see the axe from where they were, happy someone was making progress at least. The two needed to buckle down and get something to use. Nearby, Amethyst soon came walking back with the mace ball in the palm of her hand, and another on her head from where it hit her. From where her hand was, it must've hit her square on top of her head. Steven took the mace ball from her and tossed it aside.

"Okay?"

"Yeah I'm cool. Hey, check out over here," Amethyst encouraged, waving them over as she went away to another spot. Lapis and Steven followed her to another part of the field, Amethyst moving a few bushes out of the way so they could see a bit better. As far as weapon hunting went, Amethyst had gotten a decent pile going of a number of weapons, which includes a few small blades, throwing stars, throwing axes, a few maces, and even a set of nunchucks. Course, Steven went right for the nunchucks as Lapis looked around the pile for something to use.

"HWAAAH!" Steven said, trying them out. The one end of the nunchuck spun around wildly in his hand, as he went on with them, but the end soon whacked him right in the forehead. Amethyst chuckled (how could she not), as Pearl went over to check on them. Pearl looked very excited when she arrived, but of course she was soon worried when she saw Steven hurt.

"Steven!"

"I'm okay," Steven groaned, putting the nunchucks down in the pile.

"Good, good. Steven, guess what I found?" Pearl said in excitement, seemingly holding something behind her back. Steven tried to think, but before he got the chance to answer, Pearl got the item around to the front to show Steven. The item wasn't actually a weapon per say, but still something used for weaponry; a holder as a matter of fact. The object looked like a scabbard, pure pink with a signature Rose Quartz symbol along it. Pearl looked very happy to find it, Steven holding the scabbard in his own hands.

"It's Rose's scabbard. Hard to believe it would still be in peak condition after thousands of years," Pearl said with a smile, as Steven marveled over the scabbard. Lapis and Amethyst looked at the scabbard as well, and Pearl was right; condition of the scabbard looked brand new; not a single sign of ware on it, unlike everything else.

"Rose had this?" Lapis asked.

"Of course, it was the very scabbard that held Rose's magnificent sword as she went to battle. No other sword could fit into it as perfectly as hers did," Pearl said, in a sort of prayer expression, as if daydreaming about it as Steven looked at with starry eyes. Before it could go any further, Garnet came over with her giant axe in hand.

"Alright everybody, that'll be good for now," Garnet decided.

"Uh, Garnet? You sure you can fit that?" Lapis asked. It looked way too big for the Warp Pad, but Garnet seemed content with it. To prove it, Garnet went over to the Warp Pad nearby and straightened up the axe so it was fully upright. It was just enough to keep it in the portal.

"I'm sure," Garnet said. With that, the others went off to the Warp Pad, fitting everyone with room to spare. The Warp Pad activated, but the back part of the axe was blocking off the warping, sticking out a little bit. Garnet simply turned it until the Warp Pad got working properly again.

~~~~~~

The warping was quick, and nothing really went out of place as the group got back to the Beach House. It hasn't been too eventful, but they do have, once again, another extra in their group of Gems; Star Quartz. It hadn't been too long since she arrived, and her time with her "mother", Peridot, was more one-sided. Peridot was pretty much in charge of Star Quartz, requested by Garnet, but so far actual interaction was at a bare minimum. For the moment, Peridot and Star were in the Beach House together, sitting side by side on the couch. They weren't the only ones; Pinkie Pie had also stopped by to visit the Gems, getting to know Star Quartz a bit.

"We're back!" Steven announced. Peridot, Pinkie and Star saw them, Pinkie happily bounding over.

"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!" Pinkie beamed.

"We know that, Pinkie," Pearl said.

"I know, but your new friend doesn't," Pinkie pointed out...

Wait, what?

"Very pleasant."

Lapis, Steven, Amethyst and Pearl jumped back on the sudden noise; who snuck on the Warp Pad with them?! Their sudden newcomer looked like a tall pony, with the same face and overall body of a pony, but there were some major differences. His body was covered in whitish silver fur, his hooves exposed at the ends in pure white. He didn't had much of a mane like the other Ponies; just a small koga-hairstyle, but his stretched down his back to the end of his flank (which by the way, was without a cutie mark). His tail wasn't of pony origin though; long and reptilian rather than furred, and ending in a white sharp tip like a spear. One detail in particular though split him apart; his whole left leg was not only furless, but also had a extremely large cut. It was so deep, that it actually sliced his frontal hoof in two, making it look like two sharp toes rather than the one hoof. It also had a hoofband (wristband for equines) on it, having a signature pink flower for all to see. with his longer legs and tall body, it made him just as tall as Pearl (but just enough because of his ears and mane), yet was longer than Lion would be. By the expression on his muzzle, seemed obvious somepony wasn't very pleased.

"Where'd he come from?" Amethyst asked.

"Never mind me; I'll ask the questions. What were you five planning to do with those artifacts, eh? Trading them your Homeworld, perhaps?" He asked, getting off the Warp Pad and confronting the Gems. Immediately they wondered how the hay he knew about Homeworld, as he didn't seem to be any animal from their world. He eyed Amethyst especially, since she had the bunch of weapons in her arms. Garnet placed her axe down aside, leaving it against the wall by the Warp Pad, before confronting the creature.

"We have all the right to be there," Garnet firmly concluded.

"Says who?" He retorted.

"Says Rose."

The mere mentioned of it immediate changed the mode of dangerous to surprising, the newcomer jumping back, and turning to her. Garnet was correct on that much; Rose left them access to such places after all. They wouldn't have the Warp Pad of they weren't. As for the equine, he kept his pink eyes on them, trying to see if they were lying to him or not. His ears went back, his expression less of a threat.

"Wait a minute ... You knew Rose Quartz? the Rose Quartz?"

"Turn around and find out," Garnet replied. The creature did so, seeing the front door. What did catch his eye though was Rose's mural right above the doorway. That surprised the creature even more so upon being in the presence, turning back to the Gems. All of a sudden, he acted far more submissive, and actually ended up in a head bow.

"Oh lord; I'm so, so sorry! I-I didn't know I was in the presence of Rose's followers, really I didn't!" He said, actually a bit worried that he might've caused some trouble.

"Okay, calm down. Let's start again; who are you?" Garnet asked.

"Oh, yes of course, my bad. I'm Kyra," he introduced, his scarred hoof on his chest. Soon, Pinkie Pie popped up next to him, and Steven went over. Pinkie hugged him, though Kyra didn't really expect it.

"So you know who Rose is?" Amethyst asked.

"Of course! How could I not recognize such a magnificent being? She's a savior towards countless lives, the great defender of our Earth, the Saint for all life." As Kyra continued his compliments, Peridot was the only one who was getting annoyed with it. Being a Homeworld Gem herself, Peridot didn't think that highly of Rose like Kyra was doing. The original Crystal Gems though were more or less intrigued with this foreign creature having such a respect for Rose Quartz. Yet, oddly, it was Pearl who had the largest confusion over this supposed follower. She never heard of the thing herself, after all.

"Hm, yeah pretty much," Amethyst concluded. Kyra looked back to the picture of Rose, turning around to face it. He sat down, but then he started to move his frontal hooves to line out a star symbol. They both clapped together at the top of the star, in the position of a prayer. His head bowed as well soon after, his hooves still in prayer.

"... What are you doing? ..." Asked Star Quartz. Kyra didn't answer until he was finished.

"Showing my respect," Kyra replied. None of the Gems knew that it was a requirement, nor did Rose tell them of any prayer. Must be Kyra's personal way to show his respect to her.

"Well, we appreciate your respect, but if you still want these back -"

"No, no, keep them. It's my fault to jump onto my own conclusions," Kyra said, feeling a little bummed for jumping to things on the Gems.

"In that case; Amethyst, give me a hand with this," Garnet said, lifting up the axe again. As they did, Lapis poked Pearl in the shoulder.

"You know this guy?" Lapis asked quietly. But, Pearl really didn't know. Kyra soon noticed Amethyst and Garnet nearby, trying to work the giant axe into the back room. Garnet was sure the axe would fit inside, though with some difficulty just getting it through the darn door. The large handle was just fine; it was the blade that was trouble. Kyra decided to go over to help, though the others still were curious over him. They got his name and, basically his belief, but that just raised more questions. Star looked to Peridot.

"... Who is Rose? ..." Star asked.

~~~~~~

As the day went by, approved or not, Kyra decided to stick around for a while. From his behavior though, it seemed very generous to the other Gems, not showing much signs of trouble, though that could simply be for him not being with Jasper just yet. Kyra was wandering on about the place soon after his initial encounter with Rose's friends, however he hadn't seen Rose herself yet since arriving. He could only assume she was busy on a mission somewhere. Soon, his wandering got him through Beach City (he didn't decide to stay at the Beach House the whole time). As he continued on walking about, he was followed by Steven, Pearl and Pinkie, two just being friendly and one curious about his connection with Rose Quartz. Surely somepony who made his own personal prayer for Rose has to have some sort of connection with her somehow.

"Thanks for the ride, Kyra," Steven said, who was actually riding on Kyra's back.

"Think nothing of it."

"You'll love the others when you see them; all shapes and sizes and colors!" Pinkie beamed (which was technically true). Kyra continued on, wondering how many friends they had for him to meet. As they kept going, their long walk along got them to where they were for sure the others would be; the barn house. Where else would they be at that point with the ship being worked on. As for the time being, work on the ship had slowed down but progress was still steadily going forward in its own way. They saw Twilight and Fulgurite working on another piece, which appeared to be one of the two gigantic wings. This one already had a few engines in tact, but keeping them in was a must. Rainbow and Fluttershy were lending a hoof in moving one more engine in place on the wing by the time the others arrived.

"Hey you guys!" Steven called. Fulgurite was the only one who looked to them, the ponies a bit busy in getting the engine in place.

"Hey Steven! Who's the new guy?" Fulgurite asked. Mention of a new guy got the other ponies to look, Rainbow holding it the best she could. Wasn't easy for one pony to do though. Steven went off of Kyra's back, as the newcomer gave a nod to them.

"This is Kyra," Pinkie answered, hopping up and landing on his head.

"Salutations," Kyra greeted. It didn't take long before Twilight went over to him. She'd never seen a pony like him before, and Kyra didn't expect to see somepony like Twilight today either.

"Hello, Kyra."

"Pleasant. I see you're an Alicorn. Unique race, I must say," Kyra complimented.

"Uh, thank you I guess? You too?" Twilight replied, a bit unsure of herself.

"I suppose I am."

"Hey, can't hold this forever," Rainbow groaned, reminding Twilight about the engine. Quickly, she flew right to it and helped fully secure the engine in place. Of course, Kyra got curious on what they were doing. He took a look around the wing and engines being put in.

"Like the ship?" Pinkie beamed, popping up behind his back.

"Ship?"

"Yeah! The Galactic Ray ship! We're going on super duper space adventures soon! All over the galaxy and beyond!" Pinkie beamed. Kyra's scarred hoof met his chin as he thought for a moment, looking at the wing for a bit more. These ponies were going to space? Outer space? Sounds like a blast to him, a smile going on his face. Soon, Fluttershy took note of Kyra's scar, and flower that he had on.

"Lovely flower, Mr.Kyra," Fluttershy complimented. Kyra looked to the flower with a gentle smile.

"It is lovely isn't it? Complimentary of Rose Quartz herself. I found it a few months back during a flowerstorm. Her own symbol of how much love she gave to this world," Kyra said, hooves over his heart just thinking on it.

"How much did Rose do anyway?" Rainbow asked after a bit.

"How much? That gift from heaven had saved this entire world from complete annihilation. Nothing would even be here if it hadn't been for such majestic bravery. She had done so much, you have no idea," Kyra explained. The ponies weren't told too much about Rose, so, hearing all of this did leave some good impression. However, Pearl actually looked a bit annoyed herself, but not in the same way as Peridot was. Peridot still had her Homeworld beliefs and loyalty a bit, but Pearl followed Rose to the very end of time, for as long as she could.

"Like you have any idea," Pearl quietly grumbled. No one seemed to hear her though, as Kyra got his attention back to the large wing. From appearances alone, it was obvious it was some sort of jet-propelled ship, and judging by the size of the wing it was going to be a fairly big one. If it'll fit everyone in the end, he had no idea.

"So, on where you're going?" Kyra asked.

"Homeworld, silly! The big one!" Pinkie beamed.

"Excuse me?" Kyra gasped. He literally just said they were a threat, and these Gems and Ponies were going to the source planet? The same one that caused so much trouble? Still, the pony didn't appear too startled for their sake.

"Yeah, it was Garnet's idea! I never seen her so excited!" Pinkie beamed again.

"Me neither! Can't wait until the ship's finished," Steven added with equal excitement. That idea got Kyra thinking a bit more.

"Yep, Garnet seemed dead set on heading there. Said she saw something big for the future. Wonder what it is?" Fulgurite said, thinking a little bit.

"Well, don't let me get in your way; you continue with ... well, what else you're doing," Kyra insisted, waving his hoof their way. There was no reason for him to be in the way of their work. He started to go away after a bit.

"Aww, you're leaving?" Steven asked. Kyra patted his head with his long tail.

"No reason for me to get in the way. So, I'll be on my way," Kyra decided, going off himself. The only one who felt a bit uneasy was Pearl ...

~~~~~~

Kyra's own wandering had brought him over to the beach, much further away. It wasn't too much like he had anywhere in particular to be. It still felt cooler with the ocean breeze and autumn wind, but Kyra didn't mind that much apart from the furless leg. The rest of his body was just fine, but his leg was getting to be a bother to him, as he sat down by the shore. Since he was alone, he started to rub his bare leg, trying to warm it. He had to take off the flower though to do so, and kept it close by on the sand, his tail wrapping around it so it wouldn't blow away. At first it was just quiet for the first couple of minutes, but the silence was broken by the sound of footsteps. A quick look over and there was Pearl, who was also alone for the moment. Kyra stopped rubbing his bare leg before looking to her.

"Kyra? I need to ask you something," Pearl stated, getting to the point.

"What's on your mind?" Kyra asked. Kyra took the moment to put back on the flower on his hoof, though that only encouraged Pearl even more to ask him.

"How do you know anything about Rose?!" Pearl asked urgently. As if finding this new guy wasn't enough of a surprise, having him as a worshiper to someone Pearl was so close to was also a big curiosity.

"Rose Quartz? Oh, how could I not?"

"Kyra! I've worked closer to Rose than anybody on Earth - Homeworld even! I would know of a worshiping creature like you by now!" Pearl retorted. Kyra got up.

"I never said I actually met Rose face-to-face did I? Only Gems by her side are granted such a gift to see such a beautiful Gem in person ... You are lucky to work with her as close as you are," Kyra explained. While humbled by the explanation to the point of blushing, that still didn't answer how he knew so much about a Gem he never technically.

"Oh ... Well even so, that still doesn't explain how you know all of this."

"History over thousands of years can be found if you know where to look."

"That's why you were at the battlefield?"

"Pretty much. A landmark of the greatest victory the Earth has ever seen." That was when Pearl began to feel a bit of pride coming on.

"I know; I actually helped fight in that battle."

"For Rose, I assume?"

"Of course, how could I not? Rose wasn't afraid to loose her life throughout the whole battle. All she ever cared for was Earth, and all its life," Pearl monologued, remembering how brace Rose Quartz was in the face of danger. Kyra nodded in agreement to that fact. He felt that his thoughts were coming out from Pearl when it came to his respect towards Rose. As for Pearl, even if he was a rather unexpected newcomer, his connection and strong respect for Rose Quartz was something Pearl can make relation to.

"So. Does that make you her successor or am I mistaken?" Kyra asked after a while.

"What do you mean?" Pearl asked.

"Well, you claim you were alongside Rose longer than the other Gems had. So, I can only assume she trusted you to continue on in her step?" Kyra asked. Pearl never considered herself with that kind of position, even with how much time Pearl had spent with the leader of the Crystal Gems. However, Garnet and Amethyst both didn't stay with Rose for as long themselves, so, what position did Rose put her in? ... Soon, Pearl just shrugged it off with a chuckle.

"Oh no, no, I don't think I'm that good to be Rose's successor," Pearl admitted.

"Don't be so modest, Pearl. But either way, guess I'll ask Rose later. If you don't mind my asking; when will Rose come back?"

That's when things got quiet. Pearl simply looked away to the ocean, as a feeling of sorrow was soon felt by both. Kyra began to wonder if he hit any nerves or asked a wrong question to Pearl; he didn't mean to make anyone upset with that question. Pearl just looked down to her feet.

"... She's not ..."

"She's not? What do you -" Kyra stopped himself once he saw how sad Pearl actually looked. He wasn't born yesterday; he knew what Pearl truly meant. "OH ... I see ... I'm sorry."

Kyra got up.

"Listen Pearl. I didn't mean to cause any trouble; I'll just be on my way if it's all the same to you. Though, I am a bit intrigued with your trip ..."

"... Wait ..."

Kyra and Pearl looked around for the source of the voice. Looking further away, Pearl was the first to catch sight of, strangely, Star Quartz coming up. Why she was there, and why Peridot wasn't with her was something they both wondered.

"... You don't have to leave ..." Star said, to Kyra mainly. Kyra went over to her.

"I don't want to be in the way."

"... You don't have to ... Can you tell me more about Rose?"

"Why? Don't you know about her?"

Star didn't answer, her blush grey rather than red. Pearl went to Kyra.

"She's ... A bit new."

"Oh, I see. Well, so long as no one else minds. I should at least tell the others."

"... Alright ..."

With a nod of his head, Kyra started trotting back himself. Star and Pearl took a bit before going too. First Diopside, then Star Quartz, now they got Kyra? They got their hands full for sure.

Further away, watching from afar, Garnet too had been watching the whole thing herself, thinking over if keeping Kyra around was a somber move ...

Author's Note:

Oh, I've been waiting to introduce this guy for quite a while now ^^ And finally he's here! YESSSSSSS!