• Published 2nd Feb 2016
  • 1,576 Views, 7 Comments

What We Don't See Behind Closed Doors - GiantFunnyShark



Twilight likes every-pony, they've noticed something different about her lately. This is the story of her secret.

  • ...
5
 7
 1,576

A Different Type of Pony

You may be wondering. Why all the secrets? Why does Twilight have a secret in her basement? Isn’t she the princess of Friendship? What’s the matter with her? The truth is, I have no idea. We’re just going to find out together but don’t worry, I’ll protect you if anything should happen, unless Twilight has a collection of Japanese short-swords. But how likely is that? Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, the story. Right well, there’s no need to introduce any of the characters because you should know them. I bet you thought this was going to be a Tragedy or something. Naw, it’s just Twilight going through a phase.

We begin our story at Sugarcube Corner, where the mane 6 are having their afternoon tea. A normal day in Ponyville, except something seems off. Maybe Pinkie knows, cause like, she knows everything. Right? Mr. and Mrs. Cake are at the counter with a customer asking for his usual, which seems to be a cinnamon bun. Our 6 heroes are conversing about this and that. Rainbow Dash is telling Applejack how awesome her new tricks are. Applejack is ignoring her. Rarity is talking to Fluttershy about their recent spa trip, while Fluttershy is listening intently. Pinkie is talking to...herself? Yep, she’s talking about that one time, you know the one. While all this is happening, we’re left with one uncharacteristically quiet Twilight Sparkle. She seems to be eyeing the little bell above the door to Sugarcube Corner. Every Time somepony trots through the door, she flinches as if the noise brought her ears physical pain. Of course being conversationally engaged, nopony notices. She just sits there, quiet, patient. Why? Let’s find out.

~Some time passes~

Twilight can hear a faint voice, it sounds...familiar. It’s getting closer.

“Twilight? Twiiiiilight? Twilight!” It’s Pinkie Pie. Twilight blinks her eyes quickly and looks directly at Pinkie.

“Um, what is it Pinkie?” Twilight sheepishly says to her annoyingly bubbly friend Pinkie.
Pinkie looks around the lounge area of the confectionery establishment, everypony apparently vacated the premises quite some time ago.

“Well it’s just that you’ve been sitting ignoring your friends for hours. I was going to say something but you kept making this weird face like some-pony just hit you every time I came near you, so I thought it was my breath or something. That got me thinking. Does my breath always smell? So I brushed my teeth for 2 hours straight. Then I thought more about my hygiene…” Pinkie continues to babble on and doesn’t notice Twilight get up from her chair and leave Sugarcube Corner. Perhaps she’s going home? Nope. Where Twilight usually goes right, towards her castle, she instead takes the left. Twilight walks this desolate path which seems to deteriorate more the further she walks down its shattered cobbles. Nearing the end of the road, Twilight sees the familiar glow of the Everfree forest in the distance. Twilight always found it thrilling to just sit at the edge of the dangerous, carnivorous jungle when she’s feeling down. She just sits there contemplating life and the things around her.

“I just wish ponies could just understand me.” Twilight says to no-pony in particular. What she didn’t predict was the wind to be knocked out of her. She slowly opens her eyes seeing nothing but blue. She feels something heavy on her chest. Rainbow Dash.

“Urggghhh...Twilight? Is that you?” Rainbow stands up and helps the dazed Alicorn from the ground.

“What year is it? Who’s Twilight?” Oh no. Twilight shakes her head and seems to return to reality in time to see Rainbow burst out into hysterics. “What’s so funny, Rainbow?” Twilight tilts her head slightly and looks up towards her mane and see that a few sticks and some mud now preside in her disheveled hair. She uses a spell to get rid of it. Rainbow looks on in wonder.

“I wish I knew how to do that.” Fucking magic, man. I ain’t gotta explain shit! Rainbow eventually calms down enough to realize that, using her magic, Twilight has teleported away. “Rude. If she didn’t want to hang out she could’ve just told me. Time for another nap!” Rainbow flies away towards her favourite napping cloud.

Twilight reappears in front of Fluttershy’s cottage. See, magic even helps story progression. Fluttershy hears the commotion and opens the front door and seems pleasantly surprised at Twilight’s sudden attendance. She waves a hoof at Twilight.

“Hey, Twilight! Would you like to come in for a cup of tea? We haven’t shared a nice warm cup in a while, I mean, if you want to that is.” Fluttershy hides behind her long pink hair as she awaits her friend’s answer.

“Uh sure, I don’t have anywhere to be. It would be nice to catch up with you, Fluttershy.” Fluttershy’s blood pressure seems to unexpectedly lower at this news. She smiles and gestures for Twilight to enter her cozy little abode. Twilight enters and notices the sweet smell of Earl Grey boiling, she finds the source, a teapot with a cute little tea cozy that looks like a chicken. Twilight sits on the couch and looks at the many empty bird cages and wonders where all the birds went. I bet Fluttershy’s cat knows, if you catch my drift. Twilight shrugs it off and continues to survey her environment like a hawk atop a perch, looking for prey. Well not exactly like that but I had to put in a cool simile to look smart, don’t judge me! Fluttershy enters with a tray full of assorted cookies, biscuits and of course, the tea. Twilight picks up her cup of tea with her magic and starts to take quaint, calculated sips from the brim, ‘cause, like, it’s hot yo! Sorry… Fluttershy takes a seat in the arm chair across from Twilight. They both stare awkwardly into their mugs, not wanting to start the conversation. Twilight eventually gets bored and decides to engage in small talk until it’s socially acceptable to leave.

“So… What have you been doing this past week? Anything interesting?” Twilight looks hopefully toward Fluttershy. She looks up from her mug, thinking of her past week, trying to formulate an answer for her friend. Her features light up in realization.

“Well, now you mention it, I had a very busy week. Because it’s getting colder me and Rainbow lead some of my birds to fly south for the winter,” That makes more sense. Fluttershy doesn’t even have a cat. “I gave them all their last bird baths and then we took them to the edge of Ponyville and then they were off.” Fluttershy sighs contentedly. Twilight was half listening and half thinking about other things.

“That’s great, Fluttershy. How many were there? I’m sure that must have taken up most of your week.” Twilight fuels Fluttershy’s next speech not entirely giving Fluttershy her full attention.

“It did! It took up most of my time and some of the birds didn’t want to go so I had... “ Twilight thinks back to that other thing, completely ignoring Fluttershy now. How she longed for this other thing. All she wanted was to be with it and not with Fluttershy. It was so majestic and fluid. She could think about it for hours on end, in fact, she has. Feeling a little bit more agitated now because she couldn’t be with this other thing, she decided to cut her time with Fluttershy short.

“That’s really great and all but I just remembered I have to go… feed my… uh. Owl! Yep, that’s it, Owlicious is all alone in the castle and I forgot to feed him.” Twilight gives a nervous smile and quickly teleports from the about-to-be hurt Fluttershy.

“Well, that was… rude. If she didn’t want to hear about the birds she could have just told me... I guess I should eat some of these cookies.” Fluttershy shrugs and starts eating away at her stash of crumbly goods.

Again, Twilight is relocated, but this time she is taken to the Apple family farm, at 2:00 in the morning. How long was she at Fluttershy’s? Jeesh. Right before Twilight can leave, the light in Applejack’s room comes on and the window opens.

“Who goes there? Ah know you’re here, show yourself ‘fore ah come down there. Don’t make me do it.” Applejack doesn’t give Twilight a chance to answer and goes downstairs anyway. She rushes out the door with a baseball bat in hoof. She sees that it’s Twilight and immediately puts the bat down. “Twilight? What’re ya doin’ here? It’s way past midnight and everypony’s asleep.” Twilight sighs and explains the events that had transpired right from when she was at Sugarcube Corner. “Oh, right. Why do you keep teleporting away. It seems that our friends were just trying to be nice, well, except for Rainbow Dash but she’s just… Rainbow Dash. Ah would invite you in but every-pony is asleep. How about we take a walk around Ponyville and talk about what’s bothering you. Okay?” Twilight ponders this for a moment.

“Okay, Applejack. I could do with a little walk right now, all this teleporting is taking its toll.”

“Ya know y'all could’ve prevented that by not teleporting away from all of our friends.” Applejack chuckles and Twilight gives a small smile. They both trot away from the farmhouse, towards Ponyville. They converse a little on the short journey. About what I don’t know, I’m just the narrator. I don’t follow them everywhere, that’d be stalking, silly! They end up at the bridge over the small river that cuts through the middle of Ponyville. They stop once on it. Twilight looks carefully at her reflection and ponders her existence. Applejack puts a foreleg on Twilight’s shoulder.

“Ya know you can talk to me if something’s bothering you, right? Anything, if it’s a secret you know I can keep it. Do you want me to Pinkie promise?” Applejack is about to go through the motions of a Pinkie promise when Twilight stops her with the wave of a hoof.

“No, Applejack, it’s fine. You don’t have to Pinkie promise. I’m just worried that if I tell you what it is, you’ll think of me differently.” She looks back into the water, Applejack appears in the water also, smiling softly.

“No matter what it is, I’ll always be your friend. I can’t bare the thought of losing you as one of my friends. You can trust me Twilight.” She ends her speech with an even bigger smile, one which finds its way to Twilight as well.

“Well okay, Applejack. What I’ve been wanting to tell you is…” As she is about to tell Applejack she starts to think about exactly what she’s doing and how much it might affect her friendships and quickly tries to think of something irrelevant. “... That, I like to… uhhh, read other ponies mail.” She pretends to look distraught at revealing this lie. Applejack gives Twilight a deadpan look.

“Really? That’s it? This is what distracted you so much today. Ah have to say Twilight, you’re lucky you aren’t burdened with real problems like the responsibility of running an entire apple farm at the age of 17. Ah’d like to see you handle that. Honestly, Twilight, ah thought you were gonna say that y’all were gay or something. For Celestia’s sake, wastin’ mah time.” Applejack walks off, muttering something to herself.

Now all alone, Twilight’s mind starts wandering to that other thing again. She sits there for sometime just thinking about it. She walks back to her castle, still thinking about how she’ll do that other thing when she gets to her basement.

“Maybe this night won’t be all bad if I play my cards right.” She smiles at the sentiment. Twilight has now reached the door to her castle. She opens the humongous double glass doors and checks on Spike. Yep, asleep, just like she planned. Twilight descends to the basement door, takes down the intricate warding spell and enters, closing said door behind her. The basement is dark, like, there is no light whatsoever. Twilight uses her horn to locate the projector in the middle of the room, which is pointed to a white wall. She sets up her equipment for the other thing. While she does this, the noise pollution reaches the ears of a certain scaly assistant, and promptly removes him from slumber. Spike gets out of his basket and heads down to the source of the noises. The trail leads him to the basement door. He can faintly hear a theme tune of some description. It sounds familiar to the baby dragon. He suddenly feels frightened as he reaches for the handle, realising that he’s never been inside the basement. His claw moves painstakingly slow towards the door. He opens it and the light pours into the before pitch-black room. As the room lights up Spike notices the posters on the wall, they’re from that TV show for little foals. He sees the projector and what is displayed in bold pink letters:

MY LITTLE HUMAN

Spike gasps and alerts Twilight to his presence. She quickly turns off the projector and runs over to Spike on her knees.
“Please, Spike! Please don’t tell anypony I watch that show. I know it’s for foals but it’s not about that. The animation is amazing, the characters are adorable and relatable. It’s just awesome. If anypony found out, I’d be laughed out of Ponyville. Please promise you’ll keep this a secret.” Spike looks at Twilight sadly, then he just explodes with laughter. Twilight is on the brink of tears then Spike stops laughing.

“Twilight, why didn’t you tell me you watch it. It’s my favourite show!” Twilight looks baffled and looks like she’s about to pass out.

“What? You watch this? How? I only have one projector.” Spike looks at Twilight again but this time he looks happy.

“You don’t know do you?”

“What don’t I know?”

“I watch this show with Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy every week-end. We all go to Sugarcube Corner and use Pinkie’s projector. We never invited you for the same reasons you didn’t want to say anything to us.” Spike giggles again. Twilight starts to chuckle, which then turns into full belly laughter. Spike joins in.

“So this whole time I’ve been worried about being ridiculed, my best friends thought I’d be the one doing the ridiculing. Isn’t that strange?”

I bet you didn’t see that coming.

Twilight and Spike watch a few episodes of My Little Human together. The one they’re watching now is when the main character Tara Strong is going to the supermarket and runs into John De Lancie and they have an argument. Fun times.

By the morning both Spike and Twilight have watched a whole season together. Spike wakes up and sees Twilight laying in her chair, with some dribble hanging from her muzzle. He decides to wake her up.

“Twilight. Twilight. Wake up, it’s..." Spike looks at the clock on the wall and he looks surprised. "2:00 pm.” Twilight slowly wakes from a good day's sleep. She and Spike eat breakfast/lunch, as they talk about their new found common interest. Spike mentions that Twilight should tell the girls that she likes the show too and that they should let her join them on the week-ends. She agreed and now we’re back where we started, in Sugarcube Corner. This time though, nothing seems off. Everything is as it should be. 7 friends sit in a booth, all with milkshakes talking about their favorite TV show. They compare characters, they share their OC’s and debate on which is best Human It’s totally Tara Strong by the way. They also plan to go to the next My Little Human con that’s in Manehattan.

I’m sure we can all agree that there are different ponies in our world but we accept them in all their forms. All ponies have different interests. The ponies in this fandom are some of the best ponies you can find anywhere. They come together and they can achieve anything, with the right amount of funding that is. We all just need to learn to Love and Tolerate and the world will truly be a paradise to live in.

Author's Note:

Hey every-pony! This is just a small sentiment to Bronies everywhere. No matter who or what you are. I hope you enjoyed it. I know the description sounded serious but I just couldn't help myself.

Like, comment and criticize.

I love you All! :heart::heart::pinkiehappy:

Comments ( 7 )

I just wish ponies could just understand me.

Dr. Cannibalestia prescribes 20ccs of talk about it with them.

We haven’t shared a nice warm cup in a while

Wait, weren't you just having tea at sugar cube corner?

6896031
That would probably help but that would make a very short story.

Also, I meant that they haven't shared a cup of tea on their own in a while.

Lol...was a nice little read

6 friends sit in a booth

Learn how to count.

Ok, that was a very fun twist, and an interesting overall read. At first, it trundles along, leaving me wondering what was going on, then Twilight gets back to her castle and The Reveal hits. Puts the whole thing in a different light that is a little overworked, but remained quite entertaining.

The long paragraphs are a little rough. Such walls of text. Maybe edit it to make it a little easier on the eyes.

LOVE THIS I GIVE IT EXCITED PINKIE (really really good) :pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy::pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment