• Published 2nd Jan 2016
  • 1,225 Views, 30 Comments

Royal Revelation - Emerald-Aegis



With Shining Armor and Princess Cadence coming to visit, Twilight will do her best to make sure their visit is one worth remembering! That is… of course… if nothing goes wrong.

  • ...
2
 30
 1,225

Expectation

The prismatic pegasus looked at the scroll curiously, as did the rest of Twilight's friends. "An open heart, and open hooves? What in the hay is that supposed to mean?"

"Soun's like somethin's amock. We better get our hinds movin'."

Rarity smiled to the farmer. "I agree, and the sooner we leave, the better."

Twilight smiled at them all. "Thank you… I checked the schedule before you all arrived. The next train for Canterlot leaves in half an hour; so let's move out!"

A firm nod came from each of them, as the group of seven friends all began to make their way towards the exit of the castle. Murmurs echoed between the fare mares, as Spike plodded alongside his dear alicorn.

Her eyes were forward, but a glaze coated them.

He had seen the look on her face before. It was a gaze of a full mind, but empty head. She was thinking. Hard.

With a slight frown, he watched as the others wandered forward. He could catch up with them, knowing that Twilight's automatic steps would lead her to their destination regardless. But his mind was telling him to stick by her side. Whatever was going on, Twilight's mind must've been in tatters.

While she knew that answers were a simple train journey away, Twilight's anxiety hadn't wavered. The letter spoke urgently, and Celestia herself has replied to it, not her brother. Something had happened, and the letter hadn't given her any answers. If anything, it only fed the flames of her already frazzled brain, into asking so many more questions.

If Celestia was replying, she must've been alright, but what could possibly have happened for both Shining Armor, and Princess Celestia to be in the same place, but him not be able to respond to her?

Was Shining Armor injured? Had Sombra somehow returned to entrap the Crystal Empire again?

"-light."

Had some dark entity come from the alternative universe? If so, was Sunset and the rest of the human world alright? Had the Sirens returned with renewed magic? Or fixed their pendants? Perhaps they had regained their magic, and come back through the portal. The portal in her own castle, no less!

Whatever happened to the mirror in Canterlot? She would have to have Spike remind her to ask.

"Twi-…"

What about Tirek? Had he escaped Tartarus again? Or maybe Chrysalis and the Changlings had returned after their defeat by Shining Armor and Cadence? Perhaps they were back for revenge! Or… had Shining Armor been mimicked by a Changling? Or Cadence again? Or even Celestia herself?

"Twilight?"

Discord couldn't have returned to his chaotic ways, could he? He was friends with them now. Surely the actions against Tirek would have shown him that.

Had all of the evil forces the six of them had fought since she moved to Ponyville banded together, and Princess Celestia was the sole escapee of some grand villainous attack on the entire land of Equestria? Was Celestia a captive of the Changling hordes, now playing soldiers for the diabolical rulers of evil? Was the letter a ruse to get the Elements of Harmony into the castle dungeon, unaware of the fate that would befall them?!

Were all of the horrible realities that Starlight Glimmer had shown her all coming true at once?!

"TWILIGHT!"

Three quick successive clicks of small clawed fingers snapped infront of Twilight's face, knocking the cobwebs from her mind. She blinked hard, shaking her head as she glanced up; Spike and the rest of her friends all staring at her with confusion, and concern.

"Huh?" She mumbled.

"You've been blanked out ever since we left the castle."

"Y'sure yer gonna be okay, Sugarcube?"

Her eyes gazed slowly at them all, a slow sigh escaping her nostrils.

"Yeah… I'll be fine. Just… my head getting away from me. What's important, is that we're needed in Canterlot. My questions will be answered when we get there."

Fluttershy nodded to her sweetly. "Well if you wanted to talk about anything, we have ten minutes before the train arrives."

The alicorn blinked, finally turning her head around to see where they were.

The Ponyville train station.

She grimaced weakly, rubbing her hoof to her forehead.

"Ugh… did I doze off all the way here?"

"Mhmm." The pink pony hopped around her. "We were asking you questions, but you were just staring at the ground, mumbling to yourself. But you seemed to be following us, so we figured we'd wait until you got here to wake you up, so that you didn't walk in front of the train or something."

"Ugh… fair enough."

"… A million questions runnin' through your head?'

Twilight turned her gaze back down to the dragon stood beside her, his previous look of mild irritation converted into a solemn smile. If anyone could tell what Twilight was thinking, it was him.

She smiled weakly, knowing she couldn't get passed him. "A million and one…"

"Well it's like you said. We'll get to Canterlot, find Princess Celestia, and get the answers we were looking for, right?"

"I know Spike, but what if-"

A small, claws hand held itself up before her. She looked down at Spike, wondering why he'd interrupted her with 'The Claw'.

"Is Ponyville on Fire?"

She blinked, tilting her head at him at his strange question.

"Um… no…"

"So Tirek's still in Tartarus. Is it raining pies?"

Twilight smiled, weakly, but it was a genuine smile. Spike was doing his best to help her calm her mind, and feel better; just as he always had done when her brain was prone to exploding. He was showing her how silly some of her 'Theories' were.

"No. It's not." She replied with a sincere look, allowing the dragon to finish his point.

"So Discord's still our buddy. Is Fluttershy a Changling?"

The smile slipped. That wasn't exactly a point she could ascertain. Turning her head to the pegasus in mention; Her horn lit up slightly as a spell began to charge.

A force-reveal spell; one that she had discovered after seeing the salve that alternate Zecora had made to detect Changlings. In case they ever DID return, she decided to research it.

The spell shot out at the pegasus, a light purple glimmer spreading out over her quickly, but smoothly; a low, quivering moan leaving her maw.

As quickly as the spell appeared, it was gone, and Fluttershy clamped her hooves over her mouth, her face quickly turning a burning red shade, her pupils pinpricks as they darted around her group of friends. Beads of sweat dared to roll down her forehead as they all stared at her.

Inquisitively.

"…… I'm gonna chalk that up as a… no…"

Spike scratched his scales uncomfortably. "Ugh… right… yeah anyway, what I'm trying to say Twilight, is that yeah; you've got a million questions to be answered. But they're overzealous. No evil sorcerer from Tartarus, no world changing chaos, no love-stealing armies. The only important question that needs answering right now, is 'Is Everypony alright?'. Yeah?"

She smiled. The little dragon could work wonders when he saw his friends in turmoil. She leant down to him, wrapping a hoof around him softly to bring him into a hug.

"Thank you Spike…"

Feeling the hug be reciprocated, she leant against him a little more.

"Anytime."

"Hey, the Train's rollin' in!" Rainbow called from over Twilight's shoulder. "C'mon!"

===========================================================

The dazzling Equestrian landscape passed by the window of the train car, the peaceful chugging of the locomotive carrying its passengers with a soft sway that made the environment around them seem to bounce and breath as they gazed, the soft grasslands, and pathways having a life of their own.

Twilight's gaze seemed as blank as before, as she stared into nothing of any repute. The rest of her friends were discussing issues of the day, events passed by, or even what they were going to do once they reached the city.

She could have sworn that, outside of finding out what was going on with Shining Armor, Rainbow Dash and Rarity definitely had inklings of going off into the grander areas of the city; Pinkie and Spike seemed rather content with just going and gorging at Joe's Donut shop until everyone was done with their 'work', such as it was; and Fluttershy and Applejack didn't really seem to care about afterwards. More than likely, Applejack would end up either going and browsing the stalls, or maybe just finding somewhere quiet to take a rest. Fluttershy… well the sweet pegasus could find animals to play with anywhere.

As long as their wasn't a repeat of the first Grand Galloping Gala, of course.

While everypony was in spirits of speaking of commonplace, the tension of the situation could be cut through with a knife. The way they spoke, the slowness of what they spoke of, she could tell that they were concerned for what was going on, just as she was.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see one or two of them throw her a caring look now and again, but she didn't turn to acknowledge it.

As Spike said. The only important question was 'Is Everypony alright?', and she had to keep that in her mind.

Whatever the answer was. Or might be. Or might end up being.

For either side of the story.

A comforting hoof rested onto Twilight's shoulder; its softness massaging the knots in the muscle lightly. She turned her gaze away from the window, to the orange mare sat beside her with a friendly smile.

"Ah dunno whatcha thinkin' Twi, but this is yer brother yer thinkin' about. Big brothers are pr'tective of their li'l sisters, take it from me 'r Applebloom."

Her smile contorted into a chuckle, a short snort hidden within. Heheh… heck, Rainbow could tell ye about th'last Sisterhooves Social."

A snirtle coming from the prismatic pegasus as Applejack brought up the memory. "Oh don't make me- ahaha!" Rainbow barely held herself at the memory of Big Macintosh on the day, pounding her hoof on the seat beside her.

"Ah'm told he wore those heels be'dder than you ever coulda, Rainbow."

Her laughter halted, a quick blink bringing the prismatic mare to recognition of the phrase. "Hey! I mean… probably… I mean… Who told you that?!"

Twilight chuckled to herself as Rainbow fell over her words. With such good friends by her side to help her through every endeavour, she could take on anything. Apocalypse, Assimilation, War, and Chaos itself; nothing would break them apart, or break her.

Her gaze returned to the window.

Canterlot wasn't far.

===========================================================

Canterlot.

The city of regality, majesty, where everypony was somepony; the great, utopian structures and design of the city and its features complimenting the very breath of the upper half.

Ponies wandered its streets, carrying bags containing Celestia-knows-what in them all, as pegasi and unicorns alike hauled potential dozens of large shopping bags around.

While her family was rather well off, especially given how… prestigious herself and her brother had become in society, Twilight never really saw any point in 'Shopping Sprees'.

Rarity had offered for her to accompany her on multiple large fashion trips, but Twilight would often decline; mostly due to a previously scheduled library pre-evaluation reshelving, which was usually then followed by the evaluative reshelving itself, and then a Post-evaluative reshelving, to check that her pre-evaluative, and evaluative reshelvings, had done their evaluations well enough to not garner a Post-Post-evaluation reshelving.

Or as Spike said '"She's doing books again."'

Twilight HAD indulged Rarity on one spree, back before her ascension, though Rarity quickly found out that taking Twilight Sparkle into the Canterlot Royal Library to check 'One little book on sewing' was… unwise, was the word Rarity used.

Both Twilight and Rarity enjoyed the day, regardless.

Despite the fact that Twilight didn't leave the library.

For the entire day.

While Rarity went and shopped.

Alone.

The trot to the castle was sombre. It was early midday, so many ponies were either finishing lunch at one of the many café's, or were going about their business as per the norm in the city. The cool setting, warm air, and familiar streets let Twilight's mind wander, yet again.

Shining Armor and Cadence must have already been on their way to Ponyville to stop in Canterlot, surely? Or did they come here specifically? Were they called? Canterlot WAS en route to Ponyville from the Crystal Empire after all…

When had they arrived in Canterlot? Had they been here long? Did they plan on staying long? Were they going to come at all? Or did something drastic happen in the city?

Sweat began to form on Twilight's forehead as she considered the possibilities of what may have occurred.

Celestia said to come with an open heart, and open hooves. Had Shining Armor been injured? Was there an attack on the city, and he had been hurt in its defence? Cadence had been quiet, was she caring for her husband while Celestia wrote to Twilight?

It began to make sense. Shining Armor must have written the first letter with the last bit of his strength, before passing out from the horrible attack! He was brutally injured, and Cadence was caring for him at his side; that's why Celestia was the one to write back to them! Oh gosh, what could have happened to her brother to put him in such a state?! Chrysalis? Tirek? Discord? Discord wouldn't just MAIM a pony, but Chrysalis and Tirek might. Chrysalis imprisoned Cadence and sieged the city, and Tirek… well Twilight knew full well what Tirek had the potential of doing.

What was she going to do? She could only sit there with her sister-in-law and watch over her brother until he awoke from whatever horrible fate had become of him.

Twilight's internal breakdown was quickly interrupted. A firm yank on her wings, something wrapping around her, and a quick collection of yells; the lavender mare let out a shrill cry before falling back onto her flank.

Shaking her head out of the daze she had fallen into, she looked up at the sight before her. Three Earth pony stallions were all stood there, connected to a large, and she meant large, wagon of goods; and they were… staring at her.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were both flying up at the top of the Cart, holding it, and its contents, from moving forwards. Rarity's soft blue magic was held around the three stallions.

Twilight's gaze was shuddering slightly as she glanced around, several other ponies watching with mumbles and murmurs. A few upper-classes went about their business rather quickly, but a few onlookers were still there.

Her head turned about.

Pinkie's hooves had a firm hold around her hind legs, Applejack's around her midriff, and Spike had a grip on both of her wings.

She blinked as the realisation dawned on her of where she was.

She was in the road.

She'd walked into traffic.

"Oh… o-oh oh m-my…my gosh, I- I am… s-so so sorry, gentlecolts." She stammered, everyone's grasp still upon her as the Pegasi and Unicorn released the wagon and its wagoneers. "I-I… I wasn't…"

"Y'should watch d'streets aroun' here, Princess." One of the stallions replied in a thick Manehatten accent, stopping her mid-ramble. "I'gets pretty hectic aroun' 'ere if y'don't use ya eyes an' ears."

"Are you alright, Princess Twilight?" One of the others spoke out, a rich Trottingham accent curling his voice eloquently differently to his counterpart.

"… Yes… yes…… I'm fine. Thank you… a-and I'm sorry, again!"

She felt her hooves and wings released as the stallions went about their way; swearing that she heard the third one mention something about 'It being a pretty crappy day if they ran over the princess'.

"Twilight, what's gotten into you?!" Rainbow called out from a few feet in the air, staring down at her friend. "You doze off on the way to the station, and then you walk into traffic? If Spike hadn't stopped you, you probably woulda walked in front of the train!"

Twilight's ears flopped down, her gaze shifting to the floor instead of her friend, seeming to find less guilt in her actions with the stone pavement.

"Darling, you're going to hurt yourself before you even get to the castle if you keep drifting off like this."

"I… I know… I'm sorry, everypony…"

"Come on."

Twilight turned her head up to see Spike walking towards her. He held a firm stare at her, one that could be mistaken for anger, but Twilight saw determined concern; similar to how he looked when she had her… Episode, back in Ponyville a few years ago.

"The sooner we figure out what's going on with Shining Armor and Cadence, the better."

He held out his hand to Twilight, standing strongly against her, as though not only offering his aid to her, but outright awaiting for her to take it.

She bowed her head in solemn guilt for a moment, before placing her hoof in his claw, using it to stand back onto her hooves. She gazed down at him, his unwavering gaze still fixed on her.

"Sugarcube, why don't th'rest of us leave you an' Spike t'go talk t'the Princess?"

Twilight's eyes quickly turned to the Earth Pony. "What? B-but I-"

"You nearly walked into Traffic, dear; and to be fair, we were all discussing this on the train. We're here to help you, as always, but… well…"

"This is family…" Fluttershy added in.

"You… y-you were all talking about it?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "Well s'not like you heard any of us. You dozed off there too."

Pinkie trotted over to Twilight with a smile. "You gotta do what you gotta do, Twilight. We're here for smiles afterwards."

Her eyes began to glisten over, wetness manifesting in the corners of them as Twilight looked over them all. They all seemed to agree that, even thought they had come all this way to figure out what had happened, it was best if Twilight and Spike proceed to the truth themselves, and report back.

They all held strong, saddened faces; likely upset in the fact that the best course of action, was indeed, to leave them to it.

She sniffed back a tear, gazing down to Spike. He nodded his support to her, determined gaze still unwavered as he awaited her.

Swallowing an emptiness, Twilight turned back to the five mares. Her chest threatened to shudder into a state, but Twilight held back, held strong against it. She couldn't afford to break down now, not before she had even seen Shining Armor.

"… Alright…" She sniffed, swallowing back the dryness in her throat. "I- We… we'll… we'll meet you at Donut Joe's in an hour…" She reached, putting her hoof on Spike's head softly as she looked to the others. She received a multitude of nods and agreements, before Applejack perked up.

"Ah'd… not bring up th'whole 'Nearly ran over' thing t'Shinin' Armor, if ah were you, Sugarcube. Wha'ever's happenin', ah don' think anypony needs th'extra stress o'thinkin' they might've lost ye today."

"I know… I… it was foolish of me… but like Spike said. The real question right now is 'Is Everypony alright?'. And soon, I'll have my answer."

Applejack nodded with a half smile. "Make sure y'take care, Twi'. Cos y'nearly had yer answer a few minutes ago. A big fat 'No'."

"I know… I'll keep my head until we get to the castle… right Spike?"

"I'll do my best to help you keep it. No guarantees though…"

The alicorn nodded softly to him, as she waved shortly to the rest of her friends; the pair of them turning towards the castle.

The five of them watched as the princess and her little aid wandered towards the castle.

"Um…" Pinkie hummed out. "Just outta curiosity… what was in the wagon?" She glanced up to the two pegasi. "I mean… if it was a shipment of… feathers, or pillows, or maybe frosting or something, then…"

"It was um… for the C.S.S.L. … the ugh… Canterlot Structural Support League…" Fluttershy mumbled out, tapping her forehooves together with a frown.

Applejack raised an eyebrow, tilting her head to the side. "Aaand… fer those of us not native t'the city?"

"Bricks…" Rainbow Dash butted in, hovering just beside Fluttershy. "It was a shipment of bricks and scaffolding…"

"…… That's…… not feathers…" The pink baker softly spoke out, her expression deflating at the thought of what might've happened.

Author's Note:

I know I said it would probably be a week before I updated, but I just had an influx of juices in my head. :pinkiecrazy: I had these ideas down, and I HAD to get them out! :pinkiehappy:

Chapter 4 WILL take a while though. I wanna get it Right. :twilightsmile: I'd rather take a bit longer and do it right, then just schmeh out a basic chapter. :trixieshiftright:

Hope you guys enjoy! :rainbowkiss: