• Published 3rd Jan 2016
  • 3,280 Views, 27 Comments

Love is a Changeling - Dreamscape



After caring for and developing feelings for a lost, amnesia ridden stallion who was found stumbling out of the Everfree Forest, Fluttershy discovers that he is not the pony he said he was, or even a pony at all for that matter.

  • ...
5
 27
 3,280

Long Day, Relaxing Evening

Throughout the day, Fluttershy could not help but think of the stallion that she left to reside inside of her home. She thought of the way he stumbled out of the forest, the first moment she saw him. She thought of his quiet and confused speech that then became more open, and the fact that he had eaten so little. She was excited to return and hoped that the day would go by faster so that she could meet him for dinner, even if he was still unable to eat. She was interested in the seemingly average and unassuming Sunny Skies, and was hoping that perhaps conversing with him, even with the fear of things growing awkward between the two of them, would aid her in learning more about him. Along with that, she hoped that it would somehow bring the flame back to the memories and reignite them for his sake as well. Even though her day did not go as fast as she wanted it to, it did seem to go by somewhat quicker than the average day, and she was still beyond excited to return to the stallion, even after such an exhausting day of aiding the animals that resided around and within Ponyville.

The door gave a low, soft squeak as she pushed it open with her hoof. “Hello, I’m home,” she said softly, both to the many animals which resided in her residence and to Sunny Skies. She smiled softly as she noticed him sitting on the couch, eyes eager and much brighter than the dull haze they held that morning. Although she was sure this effect was from a day of well needed rest and relaxation, she hoped that even the perhaps some of it could have spurred from her arrival as well.

“Hi, Fluttershy,” he said with a nod and then smiled.

“How are you?” she asked, making her way into the living room. “Feeling any better?”

“I think so… but I don’t remember anything yet,” he added quickly, giving a shrug.

“I’m sorry, but at least you’re feeling better. How was your day? I hope my home was okay for you.”

“It’s perfect,” he said in a kind, happy tone. “I haven’t been doing much though. Resting like you said.”

“Good, you needed it so much. Did you find anything for lunch?”

“I didn’t have anything.”

“Oh? Well, you barely touched your breakfast either. Are you sure you’re feeling well? Is something wrong with your stomach?” Fluttershy asked, frowning with concern. She had not wanted to pry but after two missed meals, she was worried.

“I’m fine. I actually never eat… much. It’s normal for me,” Sunny Skies muttered.

“Um… did you want any dinner… or…?” Fluttershy muttered back in an even softer and more hesitant tone.

“I’m really not sure.” Fluttershy opened her mouth but then shut it softly. She knew that continuing on with the subject would only make their conversation more awkward. Along with that, the stallion certainly did not look deprived of nutrition, thin, but not unhealthy. He knew his body better than she did, and if he was doing well, there was no need for her to worry.

“I’ll make a little extra just in case,” Fluttershy said sweetly, heading off towards the kitchen. Her stomach was certainly empty after a day of caring for the animals. “Um… even if you don’t eat anything, are you going to join me?” she asked softly, turning back to him with a hopeful look in her large, teal eyes.

“If you’d like me to. I’ve been looking forward to talking more.”

“Of course… I… I have too.”

“Really? I thought I might have bothered you with all the questions I was asking this morning.”

“Oh no, not at all. Questions like that help me to talk more anyways. Besides, maybe talking about certain things like my friends this morning will help with your memory loss too. At least, that’s what I’m hoping for.”

“That could be, and good. I’m glad.”

***

Although Fluttershy was rather hungry from the day of work in the hot, fresh air outside, she decided on preparing a simple salad with plenty of fresh vegetables to top it off, not because it was lighter but because the preparation time was so much quicker. She wanted to get talking with her guest before she grew too tired, shut down, and became quiet as she usually did after a taxing day. She did not want to disappoint herself after a day of impatient excitement and she certainly could not disappoint Sunny Skies after seeing how eager he seemed to be for a conversation as well.

“There’s some extra salad on the counter if you’d like it,” Fluttershy said after setting her bowl at the table to free her mouth. “Would you like something to drink?”

“Uh, water?”

“Sure, sounds good to me.” Fluttershy trotted over to the sink and quickly returned with two glasses of water in her mouth and set one beside her salad and the next in front of Sunny Skies who was now at the table, his hooves resting upon its wooden surface.

“How was your day? What all did you do for the animals?”

“Oh nothing too much. For the animals around here, I just make sure they have food, water and are feeling well. I also help them repair their homes and shelters if it is needed. Some of them need exercise so I have to provide that for them whether it be through play, walking, and even mental stimulation. Also socialization is a must for the critters. Some of them are very good at making new friends but others not so much. I make sure they’re not lonely.”

“There’s plenty of animals around here, I’m sure that’s a pretty big task. You don’t seem to mind it much at all though, but like you said, it’s a part of you. And you said the animals around here? Do you take care of other animals?”

“Oh yes, I help all the animals around Ponyville, and am the mediator between them and the townsponies. I don’t only work with pets.”

“That’s… incredible, really. You do even more than I thought. On top of all that you work with Princess Twilight Sparkle. You might even be busier than I used to be.”

“Used to be?” Fluttershy questioned with a soft gasp of excitement.

“Oh… uh, no, I mean, yes, but I don’t remember exactly what that was… or where. I was just busy.”

“Oh,” Fluttershy let out softly, a small frown appearing on her face. She hoped that she did not hurt his feelings by bringing up the subject of his absent memory yet again.

“Anyways… what else are you planning on doing tonight?”

“Oh, nothing much at all. The weather pegasi are scheduling for rain tonight, so I was thinking of making a cozy fire in the stove and just reading… oh, or talking more if you’d like, of course. I’d like that too. I mean, unless you don’t want to. I guess what I mean is, whatever you’d like.”

“I’d like to talk more, but if you want time to read…”

“Oh no, it’s fine. Talking is fine. I’d like that.”

***

Not long after finishing her salad, the skies were filled with gray and the lowering sun was blocked as pegasi flew to and fro gathering a heavy blanket of clouds. The rain began as she washed the dishes, a steady pattering of drops hitting the roof above her. Already growing cold, perhaps more of mental shift than physical as the warmth of the day still had not warn off fully, she began piling wood in the stove. With the soft but warm roar of the fire and the occasional crackling of the blackening wood within, she took her place on the couch beside her guest who had been waiting there for her patiently and quietly.

It took no time at all for another fairly one-sided conversation to begin. Although Fluttershy wished that she could hear more about the life of the still mysterious Sunny Skies, she knew that she could not because of his condition. Even at that, she still appreciated and enjoyed talking with the kind and considerate stallion, a stallion that seemed to be genuinely interested in what she did and who she was. Nopony had ever asked her so much about her life besides her friends, and even they did so over a rather extended period, or simply learned from their time spent together. Sunny Skies, on the other hoof, seemed so interested, even in her daily life, that he wanted to learn all of it in one day. They spoke for hours and the wood resting in the stove turned into a glowing pile of embers and ash which then became the warm bed for another set of logs. The rain continued and the skies grew darker as the sun was set and the orange glow of the fire along with the warm ambience of artificial light filled Fluttershy’s living room.

“Oh my, it’s getting rather late,” Fluttershy said as her eyes moved to the window for a moment, only to see that it had grown even darker. “I’m so sorry, but I should be getting to bed. I have to get up early again tomorrow.”

“Yeah, that’s no problem at all. I’m sure I could use some more sleep too.”

“I’m going to have you take my bed. I can sleep on the couch,” Fluttershy said, giving the stallion a soft and caring smile.

“No, no, you’re already doing so much for me. The couch is fine.”

“I really do want you to take the bed though, besides I’ll be comfy on the couch. I’ve slept there plenty of times before.”

“You take the bed. It’s yours and you deserve it. I’m used to sleeping in worse conditions anyways.”

“Are… you?”

“Uh… possibly, I mean, I think so.”

“Well, then that means you deserve a nice place to sleep too,” Fluttershy said, giving him a slightly more assertive tone.

“Please, Fluttershy,” Sunny Skies begged. “You’ve done more than enough for me.”

“Okay,” she said with a sigh, “it is comfortable enough like I said, especially with the nice warm blanket and soft pillow I’ll be giving you.”

“Wow, sounds great, really.”

“Well, I certainly hope so. If not, we can always switch,” she said as she left to retrieve the bedding.

After making sure her guest was settled in and would be able to go to sleep whenever it suited him, Fluttershy prepared herself for bed as well and then scooted herself beneath the warmth of her blanket and rested her head back upon her pillow. With the light out, it only took minutes for her to drift off into sleep, thinking of Sunny Skies once more before doing so.