• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 1,711 Views, 45 Comments

Drag Me Down - Fable



Vinyl Scratch, for lack of a better word, is depressed. She has been for a very long time. Everything in her life is a complete disaster, and she feels there's no way out. Then she meets Fluttershy.

  • ...
6
 45
 1,711

The Breakup

“It’s just… so exhausting to love you.”

Vinyl Scratch raised her head from her pillow, looking at the mare who stood in front of her. Vinyl’s eyes immediately drifted to suitcases that rested next to the mare’s feet. Oh. So this is what they were doing? In a way, Vinyl was hopeful. She waited for the looming feeling of dread to wash over her, she waited for her stomach to flip flop out of fear. Guilt, even. But she felt nothing. Vinyl Scratch hadn’t felt anything in a long time. The blue maned unicorn heaved a sigh, slowly sitting herself up. She couldn’t remember when was the last time she sat up was. Roseluck kept track of all that- Roseluck kept her grounded.

And now Rose was leaving. She focused her attention back to the other mare’s face. Roseluck’s lips were moving, quite possibly talking. Vinyl hadn’t been paying attention- not because she didn’t want to. Just…

“It’s so depressing, being with you.”

 Vinyl tuned back in. Her marefriend— well, ex-marefriend she supposed— had tears forming in those beautiful emerald eyes of hers. Her voice had begun to shake- break even. Vinyl felt as if time was slow. For some reason, the whole talk just hadn’t felt real. Vinyl wanted to feel sympathy, she wanted to feel the urge to run to her marefriend and embrace her, apologizing to her and pressing kisses to her face until the tears were gone. She desperately clawed at her mind, begging to feel something. Anything.

But there was nothing. Vinyl felt absolutely empty. It was as if she was just a doll- without a personality, without a heart, without a soul.

“I don’t think you care…” Roseluck paused, and Vinyl heard the smallest sound of hope in her voice. “Do you care?”

Yes. Vinyl wanted to say. I love you with my entire being, my soul. You make me feel like everything’s still real. You make me want to be alive. Vinyl wondered what would happened if she said that. Would Roseluck scoff? Would she burst into the tears that threatened to fall? It wasn’t like Vinyl would ever find out. No words came out. Maybe the entire conversation was just a misfortunate dream. After all, what other explanation could there be? Her mouth was glued shut and the love of her life was about to walk out the front door.

“I thought so,” Roseluck sighed unhappily. Vinyl wanted to laugh. She hadn’t laughed in ages. It’d be bitter, miserable. Maybe even a bit rusty. Vinyl heavily disliked her laugh- she remembered it was jarring and loud. So she had stopped laughing. And then, there had been nothing to laugh at. Rose had once said, in the beginning of their relationship, that she loved Vinyl’s laugh. What a liar. The silence between them was too long. Too awkward. No longer natural and comforting. Maybe it had been like that for a while and Vinyl had just been deaf.

“Vinyl…. You’re….” The earth pony seemed to be searching for the right words. Vinyl could give her fifty off the top of her head. Pathetic. Idiotic. An asshole. A waste of space. Annoying. “So unhappy.” That wasn’t a new one. Vinyl had heard it from many other lovers before. Vinyl actually felt a bit sorry that Roseluck had just figured it out.

The sick part of her was pleased to feel anything towards the situation at all. It was with that small part of feeling bad that felt like something burst through her mind. What she felt now was an irritating batch of emotions, the kind she usually felt: guilt, anger, sorrow. None of them were towards Roseluck- the emotions were viciously attacking Vinyl. Still, she said nothing. She heard Rose sniffle. Pay attention, you idiot! A voice in her mind snapped at her.

“And… And I use to think….” Roseluck’s voice broke. “Am I the cause of it? Do I make you unhappy?”

 No. Vinyl wanted to reassure. You’re perfect. You give me a reason to wake up in the morning. I don’t deserve you. You deserve so much better than me. She remained silent.

“But then…” Rose gave a small, tired laugh. “Then I realized… You’re just miserable.” Vinyl noticed how exhausted Rose looked. There were small bags under her eyes. Rose’s usually perfect mane hadn’t even been groomed. A small realization grew in Vinyl. That was her fault. Vinyl did this to her. “W-when I met you… You were so….. happy. And free! And… and… I loved that about you.” Rose tried to give her a smile, but it fell immediately.

“But Sweet Celestia… that was just a very placed mask. Wasn’t it?” She stomped her hoof on the ground and Vinyl flinched. “Wasn’t it?!” Tears flowed freely from the earth pony’s face now. “The real you was just… so sad. You made me so sad. You brought me down.” Rose shook her head, the tears flying from her face. “And I don’t want to hold your hoof anymore. I don’t want to have to rescue you or reassure you for every little thing.”

Vinyl stared down at the bed sheets. There was absolutely nothing remotely interesting about them, but it was better than looking Roseluck in the eye. She could never stand to see Rose cry. You brought this upon her. The same voice whispered again, You know… if you were just dead, this wouldn’t have been an issue.

“Don’t you want to defend yourself?” Rose asked, “Aren’t you even going to try and fight for me?”

“No.”

Rose’s ears tilted upwards at the sound of Vinyl’s voice. “No?”



Vinyl sighed, lifting her gaze up to see the shock in marefriend’s eyes. “I love you, Roseluck. But you can do so much better than me.” She gave a frown, surprised at how dry and uncaring she sounded. She didn’t want to sound like that. She wanted her voice to sound passionate, to sound like she truly had loved Rose with all her heart. That way, perhaps, Rose would understand that Vinyl loved her enough to let the earth pony go. There was another long silence. She wanted to fill the void, so she said the first words that came to her mind: “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’m such a disappointment. But that’s all I’ll ever be.” She hung her head, almost wishing Rose would rush to her side and hug her tightly.

No! Rose would say. That’s not true. To me, you’re perfect. Vinyl craved that. But that didn’t happen.

Rose shook her head. “I wasted so much time,” She whispered under breath, heartbroken. The words had not been meant for Vinyl, but she heard them anyways. You’re such a waste of time. The voice in her mind scrambled what Rose told her. More fuel to the fire for later.

Vinyl watches as her ex-marefriend stormed out of the room, her bags in tow. Vinyl waited for what felt like hours, hoping that Roseluck would come back. Hoping that Roseluck would change her mind, and only once the front storm slams shut does her own tears fall.

Rose wasn’t coming back.

Rose, probably, was never going to come back.

For the better. The voice in her mind reassured her. You’re no good at relationships anyway. You just dragged her down. Vinyl laid back down, her back against the bed and eyes glued to the plain white ceiling. On their own accord, her eyes slid shut.

“Yeah,” She says out loud, defeated. “You’re right.”

Author's Note:

I haven't written anything for months, so this might be a bit rusty. :( Feel free to point out editing mistakes.
I'm really excited to get working on this, so hopefully I'l have another chapter soon.