• Published 30th Dec 2015
  • 12,367 Views, 176 Comments

Cobalt Blue - sunnypack



Two ships collide in the depths of space. One pony. One human. Neither have seen each other before.

  • ...
36
 176
 12,367

2 - Vision

Chapter 2: Vision

Twilight blinked a couple of times to get her bearing back. The belly rubs were certainly unwarranted. It was nice though… She shook her head again.

“Okay,” she ground out. “Hopefully they won’t do that again.”

“I don’t know Princess, I quite enjoyed it,” Stark commented innocently, but his face bore a devilish smile.

“You didn’t have it happen to you,” Twilight growled.

“That’s why I enjoyed it, Princess.”

Twilight groaned. “Okay I trotted right into that one.” She cleared her throat. “Next steps.” The alicorn spared a glance at the aliens. They seemed to be conversing quietly. Though they were garishly coloured, it was clear they were wearing some sort of suit with a mask. Underneath the helmet was smooth skin and small, but expressive, eyes. They were filled with intelligence, leaving no doubt in her mind that they were the crew members of the ship. These strangely incautious creatures were, for lack of a better phrase, too friendly. Even the minimal caution that Twilight had gambled on seemed redundant in the face of the alien’s overly affectionate mannerisms.

Now though, they studied each other, seemingly at a loss to what they should do. The graspy alien was gesticulating wildly to the second-last tallest one. The deference of the others to this one made Twilight suspect she was the leader. Possibly the captain of the ship, if such a term existed in their culture. Tapping her hoof, she tried to get their attention. The tall one registered it and signalled to the leader.

The leader spoke to the tall one and the tall one nodded back. Dashing off, it left the others as they stared uncomfortably at each other. Even through the tint of the mask, Twilight could see the small one smiling at her. Nervously, she eyed the leader. Whatever they were doing it better be quick before the small one tried do something crazy again.

——————

Amelia tapped into central comms. “Brian?”

“Yes, Captain?”

“Do we still have those TOGOs from the last run with the Chinese?”

There was a pause as Brian did a quick search.

“It’s in storage, Captain. Why?”

Amelia navigated quickly through the archived helmet feed. “Here’s the footage from the last twenty minutes.”

In the background, Amelia heard Nida’s low whistle. She continued before they could bombard her with questions. “Alex seems sure that these are cybernetic dolls. I haven’t encountered any before, but I’m inclined to believe her.” She turned to Alex. “Can they fly a ship?”

Alex nodded and waved cheerfully at the three cybernetics eyeing them warily. “They can be autonomous. Usually if they have non-human shapes they’re more for aesthetics than practicality. Personal AGs mean these guys can take care of almost anything anyway. The owners are packing some serious currency.”

“Thoughts, Soho?”

“They don’t seem aggressive, but if the owner was on board or available they would have greeted us instead of sending cybernetic dolls.” He shrugged. “If they can talk, they probably neglected to teach them Common. We’ll have to rely on those TOGOs like you had in mind, Captain.”

“Would you mind going back to fetch them, Soho? We need to keep in contact and minimise new faces around here.”

“You still think they might be hostile, Captain?”

“No… but I don’t like taking chances.”

“Fair, Captain. I think the twins can handle delaying the cybernetics until you can disable the air-lock field.”

Amelia widened her eyes in surprise. “You mean just blow them out to space?”

Soho shrugged. “It’s the most efficient option, Captain.”

Though she initially pursed her lips, Amelia nodded slowly. “Last resort, but I’d like those TOGOs, no sense in keeping the cybernetics waiting.”

——————

Twilight slowly sat on her haunches as she tried to think of a way to bridge the gap in understanding. There were spells, of course, but how would an alien react to magic? Would they see the act as aggressive? So far they’d been nice, perhaps overly friendly, but that was just one of them. The others exercised suitable caution. Somehow she got the impression that the shortest one might be the youngest, and a little bit of a wildcard.

Would they mind terribly if she tried to cast a spell?

——————

Alex tugged on her arm.

“Amelia, look, the one with wings is coming! You think it wants another rub?”

“Cool it, Alex. I know you’re excited, but these cybernetics could be dangerous. We don’t even know who they belong to or where they came from.” Amelia locked eyes with Alex. “It’s a good thing they weren’t programmed to attack first and ask questions later.”

Alex’s easy grin died down a couple of notches. “Sorry, Captain. They just—they reminded of…”

Amelia took a deep breath and reminded herself that Alex was only sixteen. When they first met, she’d thought the girl was moody, broody and borderline unstable. They’d come a long way from the girl with a mean temper. Alex was a talented engineer, but an adult she was not. Amelia patted Alex on the shoulder. “I understand. Alex, but we can’t afford to lose you if you’re reckless.” She smiled. “You’re one of our best engineers. Just don’t give me heart attacks like that, okay?”

Alex nodded, her impish grin returning. “Can I have that in writing?”

“What?”

“About being the best engineer.”

“When your ego can fit inside the cargo bay, I’ll consider it. Now—woah!”

Amelia flung herself back when she realised the purple cybernetic with wings had already made its way across the intervening space while she was distracted with Alex. Amelia flung an arm out to warn Alex to stay where she was. She didn’t have to look back to know Alex would be sporting an annoyed pout. The cybernetic looked apprehensive, but at the same time it looked like it wanted something. Amelia glanced back at Alex. She could understand how hard it was trying not to bolt from the sight of a hungry-looking sixteen year old girl.

It turned away from Alex and stared at Amelia, bobbing its head.

Confused, Amelia mimicked the movement. Did it want something? Food? Well probably not food, that would be ridiculous.

The cybernetic’s horn glowed softly as it made some more of its curious sounds. The glow... was it accessing its AG field again? Then Amelia realised something different was happening. Instead of lighting around an object, the glow was extending to her, encompassing her body and giving her a tingling sensation. Moments later, there was a sharp stabbing sensation in her brain.

“Ahhh!” Amelia cried out, gripping her skull.

“Captain!”

“Wait!” Amelia flung her arm out as Matthias and Mal raised their flash armaments. The other two cybernetics relaxed slowly as the twins cautiously lowered their weapons. Amelia groaned more from the shock than any pain. Whatever the cybernetic did, it wasn’t permanent, and it was fast-receding.

“Ugh, I don’t think it meant us any harm. At least, not intentionally.”

“Oh, I’m relieved to hear you say that. Thank Sky-day-night-constellations it worked!”

A supernova exploding in front of Amelia would not have surprised her more.

“Y-You can talk?”

“Captain? Who are you talking to?”

“She’s talking to me. I’m Princess—”

“What? What did it say?”

“It said she’s talking to me.”

“She’s talking to me. I’m—”

“You mean you’re talking to it?”

“That’s a bit rude. I’m not an ‘it’, I’m—”

“Hold on. I’m talking to the cybernetic. It’s done something to me.”

“I’m glad it worked. Now if we can introduce ourselves. I’m—”

“You can talk to it? Cool, let me try!”

“I think it needs to do something to you, Alex.”

“Whatever it is it’s worth it, Captain!”

“Princess, what are they saying?”

“A lot. It’s hard to keep track of it, Sergeant.”

“Please, Captain? I’m sure it won’t take long!”

“Alex, what did I say about rushing into things?”

“Come on, Captain. You’re fine!”

“We don’t even know what happened! I’ll need to see Doc. You should get checked out as well.”

“Princess, what are they saying now?”

“Something about a Doctor.”

“Captain?” Matthias said.

“Captain?” Mal said.

“Captain?” Alex said.

“Captain?” the cybernetic queried.

“QUIET!” Amelia kneaded her brow with a knuckle. “Let’s start again.” Amelia studied the purple cybernetic and decided that it was in charge. They could talk, right? She didn’t know how, but they could. Amelia nodded. From the top. “I am Captain Amelia Finegold of the private A-class exploratory ship, Cobalt Blue.”

The cybernetic straightened into a more formal posture and gave a slight bow. “I am Princess Dim-light-precipice-of-the-setting-sun Twinkle-scintillate, a representative of ‘equine-kingdom’ and her colonies.”

Amelia blinked, and decided that at that point, Dim-light would do.

“It is a pleasure making first contact with your species, Captain,” Dim-light continued. “If only our circumstances weren’t so… unfortunate.”

Amelia raised an eyebrow. “Hold on, a representative of ‘equine-kingdom’?”

Dim-light frowned, then tried again. “Equine-kingdom.” Amelia realised her mouth movements didn’t match her speech. Then it hit her and for the second time in the span of a few minutes, she was thunderstruck. Whatever Dim-light did to her must have altered her language perception of the cybernetic’s speech.

Unaware of Amelia’s revelation, Dim-light dipped her head apologetically. “My apologies, Captain. The translation spell must not be able to cope with terminology that’s not shared between our languages. It’s coming up with the best analogues.”

Amelia nodded. That made sense. Even the TOGOs had similar limitations. ‘Equine-kingdom’ wasn’t literally that, the real name must be some combination of unique sounds in their native language. But if these cybernetics spoke their own language and had enough time to create their own name for a nation, then their creators must have been isolated from the rest of the humans for a very long time. If that’s so, no wonder their communiques weren’t coming through. They would be out of date compared to recent revisions on Common communication protocols.

“A sovereign nation?” Amelia hazarded. “You’re not under the Common Charter?”

Dim-light looked confused, but nodded. “I’m not sure what this ‘Common Charter’ is, but I believe we are not a part of it.”

Amelia suspicion rose a few notches. “So your creators, what happened to them?”

Dim-light cocked her head in confusion. “I’m sorry, what do you mean? Maybe the translator got something wrong. Did you mean ‘creator’ as in a ‘god’ or ‘god-like entity’? Or did you mean creator as in some other being created us?”

Now it was Amelia’s turn to become confused. “You’re cybernetic, aren’t you?”

Dim-light frowned expressively. “I haven’t come across that word. The translation spell must not be able to bridge that gap. Uhm. Perhaps if you could explain what a ‘machine-bio-entity’ is?”

“Biologically-fused machines. Uhh, robots, in a sense?”

Dim-light reared her head. “Robots? We’re not machines! We’re all one hundred percent biological.”

Amelia’s hands reached out into the air as if she were trying to grab the right words to fit into the situation. “So… you’re aliens? Like, real aliens?”

Dim-light looked more confused than indignant. “Well, yes, I suppose. To us, you’re the aliens.”

Amelia groaned. “You mean first contact with the first aliens humanity has ever come across has started off with Alex tackling you to the ground, a huge misunderstanding that you were robots, and not to mention the overarching problem of smashing our ships into each other?”

Dim-light smiled weakly. “It would seem so. Perhaps it’s best if most of this were left out of the history books.”

“Shael sakeer,” Amelia said through gritted teeth.

Dim-light chuckled timidly. “The translator didn’t catch that, but I think I’m glad it didn’t.”

———————

They made small talk on the way to the ship’s board room. Understandably, Dim-light’s Captain, Captain Intersection, wanted to stay with her ship. Intersection was coordinating a damage survey and sending teams out to investigate now that it was safe to do so. On the way, Dim-light was happy to answer any number of questions from Amelia about technology, culture, or anything in between. Amelia gave Dim-light a brief recap of modern history. She tried to keep Dim-light’s intense curiosity at bay, while internally struggling with what could only be described as history unfolding before her eyes. She didn’t know what else to do. After millennia of finding nothing in the depths of space, humanity had given up on first contact policy. The documents were drafted but never actually used. It was tacked on as an appendix to the manual, but they had eventually disappeared from the standard Captain’s manifest.

Whatever Amelia did to handle the situation was completely on the fly. To make matters worse, they weren’t military, or even corporate. There wasn’t a chain to move up on. They were simply private contractors that were scouting new planets on the outer edges of the space-faring map. Still, conversation started flowing when Dim-light talked about her ‘AG fields’. Amelia noted that they didn’t wear suits at all. Then something Dim-light said struck her.

“You mean you can just teleport? Just like that?”

“Yes, Captain. We can create something similar to what you call ‘fields’ around us to protect us from space.”

“Ah, just call me Amelia. You’re not expected to adhere to protocol as a diplomatic guest.”

“You’ve done this before?”

Amelia smiled. “To an extent. I’m sorry about Alex, by the way.”

Alex waved her arms around. “Hey, you know I can hear half your conversation!”

“Good, maybe you’ll realise how badly you’ve screwed up.”

“Are you kidding?” Alex scoffed. “First contact went so smooth. You should be thanking me.”

Twilight cocked her head. “What did she say?”

Amelia raised an eyebrow. “You don’t want to know.”

Twilight studied Alex nervously from the corner of her eye. “I’ll… take your word for it.” Then she smiled. “Industrious-worker. That’s a strange name. By the way, please feel free to simply call me Dim-light-precipice-of-the-setting-sun. No need for ‘Princess’, either.”

Amelia couldn’t help but chuckle. The translator must not cope well with names. Industrious-worker? That’s what my name means?

“It’s… never mind. Your name sounds just as strange as mine, uhh, Dim-light.”

Dim-light?! Dim-light squeaked. She groaned.Ah, that’s the spell again, is that what my name sounds like? Figures.”

“How does it work?” Amelia asked.

Dim-light grinned. “Well, hopefully this translates: The spell taps into the language centre of your brain and connects both of our synaptical impulses in a relational map that starts at the base roots of emotions and branches out to more complex concepts. Right now it’s shifting through vocabulary and potential linguistic roots based on how you used it before and at present. It’s pretty amazing—what? What’s wrong?”

Amelia couldn’t conceal her shock. “So it’s going through my brain right now?”

Dim-light stopped, waving her hooves frantically in negation. “No, no, no. Not like you’re thinking. Nothing to do with memories and it doesn’t change anything. Think of it like an in-built translator. It just matches my speech to similar concepts in your brain. So I probably sound like I’m talking in your native language. It’s only ever been done in a one-to-one fashion though, and it takes a lot of power.”

Amelia relaxed. She didn’t know how she would have reacted to something digging around in her brain. In fact, she wasn’t sure that’s exactly what it did. Still, she couldn’t deny the utility of the ‘translating spell’ as it were. Then a sudden thought struck her.

“You mentioned ‘spell’, what do you mean by it?”

Dim-light tilted her head. “I don’t know what you mean, Industrious.”

Amelia snorted. It was a ridiculous-sounding name, but she’d better get used to it. She suspected Dim-light thought the same with her own. “The word in our language means something uhh, ‘magical’? Does that translate?”

Dim-light nodded. “Magic? Yes.”

Amelia turned around. “You can’t be serious.”

Dim-light blinked at her. “I don’t see why not.”

Amelia shrugged helplessly. “But magic isn’t real…” Amelia scratched her head. Was it just a placeholder for another form of technology?

Dim-light laughed. “But you’ve just seen an example of it. What else could it be?”

Amelia subsided. Whatever it was, it didn’t seem conventional. If there was some new kind of technology behind it or some weird alien way of manipulating matter and energy, it was all way beyond her. She sighed. Time enough to discover more when Dim-light and the rest were to be introduced to the Common Charter. That is, assuming they wanted to be a part of it.

“Captain, we’re here.”

“Thanks, Mal.”

“Regardless of what I think, Dim-light, I think we’re in an unusual situation. The best option is to cooperate. If something happens, you could lose the air-lock field around your ship and you will explosively depressurise. Likewise, if you try and disengage by using your engines, we could also find ourselves with a lethal breach. We want to avoid that.”

Dim-light smiled nervously. “I’m glad we’re on the same page, Industrious.”

——————

Inside the room, Twilight settled into a comfortable chair that seemed to be filled with a gel-like substance. The room had muted lighting that gradually brightened as they entered. Inside the ‘board room’, the table seemed to be made of wood, while the rest of the room boasted of glass, steel and a view of the breathtaking vista of space dominating one wall.

“H-How?”

Industrious’ eyes sparkled as she guessed what Twilight was thinking. “Impressive, isn’t it? The whole wall is a projection of one of our camera mounted on the head of the ship. We’re seeing what Cobalt Blue is seeing right now.”

“It’s beautiful,” Twilight breathed.

Industrious smiled. “It sure is amazing.”

The short one, Defender-of-all? Even her name sounded intimidating. She was staring at her. Luckily she was seated at the far end of the table.

“Right,” Industrious began. “Let’s get down to business.” With a wave of her arm, she brought up a three dimensional projection. Twilight leaned forward, fascinated. How could they do all that without magic? Maybe the translator was bridging the wrong words. Surely the system contained some form of magic. She pulsed the area, receiving no feedback. Mouth gaping, Twilight sat back. No way. Impossible. Inconceivable.

“Dim-light-between-sunrise-and-sunset? Are you alright?”

Twilight sighed. “Yes, absolutely fine. Just surprised.”

The projection showed an accurate three-dimensional representation of both ships lodged lengthways. Around the ships was a faint green glow.

“Cobalt Blue hasn’t suffered much damage, but extraction is going to be tricky. We could repair this much damage at a dock, but we can’t go into quicker-than-light without first dealing with this.” Industrious sighed. “Nearest dock is three jump-points away.”

Twilight filed the unknown terminology away as she nodded. “What do you recommend?”

Industrious hesitated.

Twilight frowned. “Is there a problem?”

Industrious bit her lip. “Our engineering team needs to coordinate with yours so that we can begin the process of detachment.”

Twilight smiled. “I don’t see the problem. Seeing and sharing technology blueprints will probably need to be a mutual agreement. I’m sure it's better than the alternative of being stranded in space.”

Industrious grinned weakly. “There’s a small catch.”

Twilight blinked. Surely these aliens didn’t want to wring extra diplomatic concessions from them. With their ship being larger, Twilight could see how they could, but they didn’t seem that unreasonable…

“Yes?”

“Our best engineer is Defender-of-all.”

Twilight felt her gaze drawn inevitably to the grinning alien sitting on the opposite end of the table. Apparently she had caught enough of the conversation to keep up.

“Ah. I can see why you would think that’s a problem.”

Industrious smiled. “Well I think we won’t have the same sort of mishaps that you’ve had in the beginning. Defender-of-all is very good at what she does. I guarantee that she’ll help get the work done faster. We also have a solid engineering team that’s ready to help.”

Twilight reluctantly nodded. “If you think it’s wise…”

——————

Amelia smiled at Dim-light. “Well, I think we should get to know each other a little better. Putting aside the uhh, awkward introductions in the beginning, we hardly know anything about you or what your next steps will be.”

Dim-light set aside her reservations about Alex and grinned. “Likewise, as guests, I think it would be wise to go first. Equine-kingdom is a democratic monarchy. We call ourselves ‘all-horse-kind’, or ‘little-horse’, which may not translate over.”

“Ponies?”

Dim-light tilted her head as she considered it and chuckled. “Oh, that’s actually not too far off! How about you? What do you call yourselves?”

“Ah,” Amelia said. “Tricky…”

——————

While caught up in an animated discussion of the merits of nature versus nurture, the purpose of life, the universe and everything, and why peanut butter was so sticky, Soho returned, goodies in tow.

“Took me a while to find these even with talking to the officer in charge of inventory, and searching through the storage. I managed to find it under… some loose goods. Here, Captain, the TOGOs you’ve requested.” He blinked. “Unless you’re busy.”

Amelia beamed at Soho, taking the translators off the giant.

“Thanks, Soho. Now everyone can have a conversation!”

Alex perked up. “Finally! Hearing the Captain just drone on and on and on was unbelievably mind-numbing!”

Amelia smirked. “Sound familiar?”

Alex opened her mouth to shoot back a reply, then shut it and fumed.

Dim-light raised a hoof. “What are those?”

Hardly able to contain her excitement, Amelia brandished the small metallic discs, and passed one over to Dim-light. Amelia placed one near each of her ears, feeling them latch onto her skin and bind just above her maxilla.

“TOGOs, or, ‘Translates-On-the-GOs’. These are our own translators. They don’t work as efficiently as your spell, but they learn pretty quick and they have the added advantage of being relatively unobtrusive and networkable.” Amelia gently restrained Dim-light’s hoof as she reached for the device. “I have to warn you, they’re designed for us. Humans, I mean. I don’t know how well they would work for you, or if your biology is similar enough for them to work. They have been able to work for some animals, though.”

Dim-light paused, considering what Amelia said, but then smiled. “Nothing gained without nothing lost, right?” She shivered as the translator fixed itself to her head. “Ohh, that’s strange.”

“Best part of these is that they can network, so the more you have, the faster they learn. Do you mind outfitting most of your crew with them?”

Dim-light hesitated. “Uhh, sorry Industrious, I’ll have to talk to my Captain about that.”

Amelia cringed at her misstep. While Dim-light might be happy taking the risk of alien technology, the rest of her crew might not. “Ah, yes, of course. Sorry, Dim-light.”

“No harm done,” Dim-light replied with an easy grin. “Let’s get both of our crew acclimatised. Then, we’ll both start on the repairs and exchange some data. Ready?”

Amelia clapped her hands together. “Whenever you are.”

Author's Note:

A lot of fic centre the conflict around misunderstandings. This is no exception, but I wanted to move away from trigger-happy militants and escalating histrionics. I mean really, if I met an alien I wouldn't immediately shoot it in the head. Although, if they did glomp me like that...

Next Chapter: Farewells.

As always, my well-mixed readers, thanks for reading!

P.S. Minor corrections to fit the amendments to chapter 1.