• Published 9th Jun 2012
  • 2,572 Views, 49 Comments

Curiousity Maintentance Crew - Masterweaver

  • ...
3
 49
 2,572

A Brief Introduction

The mathematical study of fate and its related concepts has not been spread as widely as its practitioners believe it should be, but nevertheless there are libraries which host a basic primer on the concepts which said field of study has provided. The first and most revolutionary concept is the idea of fate, not as an object, but as a force; like heat, fate can be found anywhere in various amounts, often attached to living beings. Destiny refers to acts that require fate to be utilized; technically, any act is a destiny, as any act requires fate, but destinies tend to be far grander the more fate is used. There is also the art of manipulating fate, and techniques to do so are often referred to as altering fortunes. Intriguingly enough, fortune alteration has been in practice long before fate was properly studied, with some individuals being quite adept at it.

One such individual is a certain Princess Celestia, though her talent is more rooted in her immortality providing experience then any natural augmentation. It was in fact she who carefully worked the paths of fate to ensure that not only were the element bearers present in a small town near the location of Nightmare Moon’s return, but that they would be properly equipped and prepared for such a task. Normally, this would have passed without much incident, that is to say, a heroic note in history followed by a denouement. However, Celestia had failed to foresee or even notice one small event in the town of Ponyville which caused an explosion of fate.

This event, like many such events in Equestria, was caused by a trifecta of ponies. Each pony was of a separate breed, and each one rather unique. Pinkie Pie, as she preferred to be called, was to fate what a cheese grater was to water; all that got poured in spun out in little rivers, manifesting in minor reality-warping powers and the spontaneous generation of a sense devoted to detecting the flows of fate. Miss Derpy Hooves nee Ditzy Doo had a time-related ability, capable of seeing and occasionally interacting with other versions of Equestria; unfortunately, these constant visions made her lose focus in more ways than one, although they guaranteed her accurate delivery of the mail. Lyra Heartstrings, the final component, had as her special talent harmonics, extending to even the universal veil of reality. She did not know this; all she knew was every night she dreamed of another world and its inhabitants, with their unusual appendages.

These three mares, on the day of the event, were each of them distracted. Pinkie Pie was busily planning a welcome party for the new pegasus that had come to town to join the weather team, trying her best to think up a rainbow themed surprise. Derpy Hooves was worrying about her daughters and how she would pay the bills, as her current income was not enough to fix the roof. Lyra Heartstrings was busily sketching what she could remember of her latest dream into her diary; she was certain she had found an anatomy book for the creatures. Thus oblivious to the world around them, the three ponies ended up crashing into each other.

The combined unusual powers of the ponies entangled themselves so tightly that when they finally broke apart, there was an extremely large explosion of fate. The entire town was irradiated with it, guaranteeing interesting lives for its population with the exception of one Silver Spoon, who had been working on a dishwasher from the inside and was therefore protected from the blast; her exposed tail oddly enough, was infused with fate and would later be bitten off and become lodged in the trachea of a manticore. Of course, the only pony who felt the blast was Pinkie Pie, and even then she found herself at a loss to properly interpret what her self-dubbed Pinkie sense was detecting; it would be another thirteen years before she could finally figure it out, and of course by then it was too late.

The three ponies apologized and went their merry way, but each of them had been affected. Pinkie gained Lyra’s ability to detect the strange creatures, and she observed them with glee, especially after they all seemed to watch the world. Lyra herself found that she had a sense which just pulled her to places that she felt were important, the result of her ability mixing with that of Derpy Hooves. As for the pegasus, the very minor fate sense she obtained was enough for her to find and rescue an extra-dimensional being, who thereafter assisted her often and became an excellent surrogate father to Derpy’s two girls.

The fate explosion itself, in combination with the arrival of Nightmare Moon, caused Ponyville to play host to a number of unusual events that Celestia had not predicted at all. This was only aggravated by Discord, who practically sweated an ocean of fate and used destiny like a jump rope. Roughly twenty years after the event, Princess Celestia finally took it upon herself to send experts to handle the situation, which they did quite easily, allowing Ponyville to once again become a fairly normal place.

This is not their story.

This is the story of how, roughly three years after the initial event and shortly after the royal wedding, three little fillies unknowingly near the epicenter of the blast formed a very specialized group. They had previously formed a different group, not nearly as specialized, but the results of their constant interaction was a near permanent friendship which would undoubtedly be of great import in the upcoming events.

As the story begins, two of the fillies are hiding personal truths; they are each of them unaware of the other’s secret. The third filly has discovered a piece of information totally separate from the things that the others have not revealed. Her reaction is to panic, and in so doing accidentally place herself in mortal peril.