• Published 27th Dec 2015
  • 9,354 Views, 218 Comments

Mother And Son Adventures - Inferno demon Dash



Spike has never really felt as loved by his family as most creatures were his age growing up, but even he knows just how much his mother loves him. And knows she'll do whatever it takes to protect him, even if he's not her flesh and blood.

  • ...
22
 218
 9,354

Broken Heart

The sophisticated and normally vibrant city of Canterlot with it’s hearsay, wealth and entitlement was as silent as a crypt, except for the occasional drunk, homeless or working a graveyard shift pony every other living and sane soul in the capital was dead asleep since it was three in the morning.

The sky overwhelmed with the Alicorn of the moon’s night which held countless dots of bright stars and the planet in question suspended in the air, where it belonged as the mare herself traveled from dream to dream of her beloved subjects, banishing the nightmares that plagued their minds and encouraging the fantasy they could only imagine, both innocent and raunchy, even ignoring the more violent and twisted ones for now before she would go off to the land of slumber herself, thankful that her night court was over for a time.

A lone figure caught the attention of the two lone, heavily armored guards of the skeleton crew, the female pegasus and male griffin beside her gripping their spears more firmly in their hoof and claw, respectfully as their eyes narrowed, trying to make sense of the one coming towards them, intent of giving their lives if they had to in order to protect their Princesses.

It was thanks to the words of Spike the dragon himself that both Celestia and Luna allowed sapient non-ponies to join the Royal Guard, along with females of any race, there were even a few Changelings of either gender given to them in a gesture of friendship by King Thorex and to smooth over the rifts caused by the disgraced queen, Chrysalis in their ranks.

As such, the seventeen year old dragon approached the home that he had been raised in, his rather tall height and muscled form made the pony’s companion take a step back, not knowing the reptile’s origin like she and nearly every pony guard did as she calmed him down with a wing on his shoulder as Spike stood in front of the gate, his head downcast, his face cascading with tears and his entire body shaking from the force of his crying.

“Spike?” The pegasus questioned the flightless drake before her as he only gave a loud hiccup in response.

Neither guard spoke another word as they glanced at each other before the griffon tapped his spear loudly on the ground twice, the noise causing the male Changeling watching over the entrance to jolt awake in panic before he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes with a hoof, yawning and cranked open the large metal bars with his magic while the dragon could only mutter a heart hearted thank you and dragged himself towards the castle.

Unless it was an emergency, Celestia hated nothing more than to be woken up from her beauty sleep. It had been a very long, tiring day of appeasing the nobles, approving or declining documents that improved her country, benefited those within and attempting to nearly avoid war, bankruptcy or even rumors of dangerous enemies that may or may not have been coming to the edge of her and her sister’s borders but all of this Celestia had dealt with for such a long time that it had become the theme to sharing the crown with her sister, it was all her race had done for millennials and something she was sure would happened long after she died or the kingdom burned to the ground.

So when she had been forced awake by her loyal scribe, Bella Script who still wore her own pajamas and looked half asleep herself as the Alicorn of the sun cracked one, extraordinary exhausted violet colored eye open to gaze upon her subject, she had hoped that it was because the castle was on fire but was instead told that her own son urgently wanted to talk to her.

Had it been absolutely anyone else, Twilight Sparkle, her sister even Discord, especially Discord she would have simply closed her eye and dealt with it in the morning like she always had, even her own sister understood that sleep was something Celestia took very, very seriously and she would not trade it for anything considering everything she went through day in and day out until Luna took over.

Anything that was except for Spike, with a groan so loud it shook Bella herself awake she lifted half her body up with her left forehoof and then very slowly did the same with her right, an enormous yawn escaping from her muzzle as she smacked her lips and huffed before she crawled out from underneath her covers and the safety of her own warm and extremely enticing bed that begged her to come back and join the realm of those unconscious as she ignored it and placed a single hoof onto the cold stone floor, nothing in the world would ever stand between a mother when her child needed her, Celestia was no exception.

Completely ignoring her royal attire, she eased her hooves into her pink bunny slippers and with another large yawn thanked Bella, telling her to return to bed and that she would see her in the morning before she opened the door to her bedroom and walked down one of the hallways.

Knowing by instinct where Spike would be, not surprised in the least when she found him in the kitchen sitting in a large wooden chair made especially for him but she was surprised to see Pony Joe, who looked like he might fall asleep at any moment in the castle taking out a fresh tray of six extra sprinkled strawberry and chocolate covered donuts from one of the ovens as he took them from the tray and placed them on a glass plate which then was placed in front of Spike along with a large glass of milk on the wooden table.

The drake sincerely thanked him as he wiped the tears from his eyes with both claws and told him he would pay him trice what he normally did for the favor later in the morning as the unicorn stallion chuckled before he yawned, putting a hoof on his left arm, not able to reach his shoulder due to Spike’s height which stood about a head taller than an Alicorn.

“Anytime my old friend, I’ll see you later. Have a good night and I expect to hear everything when I see you.” Pony Joe spoke softly making the dragon nod slowly before the baker turned and noticed the princess, without a word he bowed, turned off the oven, put the tray in the sink and left.

As Spike reached for one of the strawberry covered donuts, his favorite, Celestia herself yawned once more, shaking her head to try to pay attention before she took Spike’s glass in her yellow magic aura and took a sizable drink before placing it back near him, then she walked over and sat down in the seat across from him, ignoring the rather small size and shook her head once more before blinking her eyes, she was still very tired.

She looked over to the young dragon, seeing as he only nibbled on his pasty instead of taking large bites, his eyes only looking at the table before him, tears still running down his face before she used her magic to grab a napkin and wipe them away without hesitation.

“Spike.” She called out intent on getting his attention and finding out what was wrong with her son as he didn’t answer, not even acknowledging her making her frown then try again.

“Spike.” She called out louder as he did nothing more then blink making her rather irritated that he would not answer before she tried once last time, becoming fed up with him not being responsive.

Spike the dragon!” She spoke angrily, finally gaining his attention as his eyes snapped from the table and looked at his mother, fearful for a moment since no one but her called him that, except for Twilight, her mother or Luna when they were serious or angry.

They did nothing more than stare at one another for a few seconds as Celestia sighed loudly, if it was anyone but him she wouldn't dare have such a conversion so early while the dragon hiccupped once more and finally put his fried breakfast down on the plate in front of him.

“How did you get up here so early in the morning? The trains stopped running hours ago.” She questioned, wondering if Twilight used her teleportation magic or if he even asked a pegasus friend for aid, knowing that if he did they most definitely would not be to happy with it and she doubt he would use the hot air balloon since he didn’t know how to operate it.

“I walked.” He replied simply, his voice hoarse and cracked from the force of his crying, Celestia’s eyes widen in shock and anger at his words, she sputtered for a few seconds before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

“You walked? Spike, the train alone is an hour from Ponyville to here, pegasus flight another hour, even a phoenix would be at least thirty minutes with full speed. You walked from Ponyville to Canterlot for about three hours, give or take? Why did you do that?! You know if you had only sent a letter I would have-”

“I needed time to think.” He answered sluggishly, cutting off her angry ranting and not wanting to feel even worse than he already was.

She stared long and hard at him, her eyes narrowing to slits as she looked up at him. She was both a mix of upset and worried that he would be so reckless and foolhardy, this wasn’t like him and she knew if he was being so careless then something was really disturbing him, she only had to find out what it was before she could help him.

“Please, Spike. Don’t ever do that again, for my sake. If you ever need to talk then at the very least I would send some guards and a carriage towards you, I don’t want you to worry me like that, Twilight is probably worried sick and Luna if she doesn't know is probably searching for your dreams. You can’t scare us like that, Spike. You mean to much to us, do you understand?” She asked, still angry that he had done this as he nodded, taking his half chewed donut in a claw and took a bite before responding with his mouth full.

“Yes ma’am.” He responded sincerely, she gave a loud sigh in response before yawning again and taking a large swallow of his milk using her hoof instead of her magic this time.

“Now tell me...what is wrong, my son? I haven’t seen you this depressed since you had nightmares about losing the Crystal Empire to Sombra, and that was years ago. I’m still thankful to Luna that she helped you with them, I never felt so helpless before, a mother not even able to comfort her own child. I felt disgusted with myself for weeks.” She questioned him, rambling a bit since she knew it was the only way to help him in times like this as he finally finished his treat, chewing slowly before swallowing as he answered.

“I...I finally worked up the nerve. I wanted to be the appropriate age, or if anything be close to it before I asked her out. She….she said she only saw me as a friend, couldn't fathom us being together romantically since I was like a kid brother to her rather than-” He cut himself off as he cried harshly, the memory still fresh as he sobbed into his claws, surprising Celestia that he still had anything left and knowing instantly the one he spoke off, her heart squeezing out for the crying reptile as a mother, and disappointed in the one who rejected him as a ruler.

Rarity.

Ever since he first laid eyes on her he was smitten, the fact that his greed form had stopped because of her, the fact that he chased after Diamond Dogs when she was kidnapped years ago without a second’s hesitation and that he went above and beyond to both protect and serve her like one would do a queen or to save her like a knight in order to win her heart when he was nothing more than a teenager showed that, even after all this time.

He had done so many things for her, bent over backwards for her, risked life and limb for her and even at one point gave her a Dragon’s Oath, which he species took very seriously to win her heart at any cost for her had finally come to fruition when he deemed himself the necessary age, both mentally and physically even though he still could not date her for one more year but at least he gave her the option, and took the leap of faith that he prayed to the gods would work in his favor.

But the gods either ignored him, or Discord must have treated his affection as nothing more than a cruel prank because his reward was rejection, his heart metaphorically smashed into tiny, glass pieces and his mindset tarnished into a deep depression the likes of which Celestia had never witnessed before today.

As a mother, she was furious at how the older unicorn could unmercey treat her baby, she had half a mind to teleport to the fashion designer’s home and scream vile, harsh words of rage upon her at how she had tore her son’s heart apart like paper and burn her shop, all three of them to the ground so that the pony had nothing to her name.

But she knew that was a bit extreme, no matter how angry she felt and as both a monarch and a mare herself she was not new to breaking the hearts of those who had fallen in love with her in time. Celestia knew first hoof the lengths that love would take someone, be they pony or not, she had fallen for others herself, even if her lifespan saw to it that it was not meant to be.

Starswirl, Discord, even Chrysalis herself when she was much younger but as it was with all things, it was not meant to be for her.

Even though her own life had no pony or creature to come home to, she was fine with it, a little lonely she could not help but think admittedly, but she had her sister, her subjects, some friends who didn’t treat her as royalty and most importantly...she had her son.

Nothing in the world meant more to her then Spike, and she would go to any length, any at all to insure his safety and wellbeing.

Including mending his broken heart the way only a mother could.

“Spike,” She whispered softly to him as the drake stopped looking at his claws to glance down at the one who raised him as if he was her own flesh and blood, maybe even more so in some cases. “What Rarity did to you was….harsh, yes. But you have to see this from her point of view, she watched you grow up into the dragon you are today. The age gap, while not meaning much in the long run for dragons, is important to some ponies. Maybe not to Discord and Pinkie Pie, but you’re not a god. You’re an incredibly smart, handsome, and wise teenager but you are still just a teenager. Trust me when I say this, the right one will come. You just have to wait, and for the two of us...time is all we have.” She spoke calmly and slowly, maybe more seriously than she meant to but she needed to make him understand her words and take them to heart.

In response, he blinked then sighed loudly and slowly nodded.

It wasn’t what he wanted to hear but he knew if anything, it was what he needed to hear. And who better to tell him of such then his own mother.

“Will my heart ever heal?” He questioned himself but looking and seeing Celestia’s reaction, he nearly slapped himself with his own claw as he realized he had spoken out loud.

“Time heals all wounds, it’s not just a saying you know. It will be...difficult, I won't lie. But eventually yes, you will get over her and see her as nothing more than a friend, even if in your heart, you’ll want something more. You never forget your first love, as they say. I know I haven’t.” She answered as he looked at her quizzically making her chuckle then blush.

“Tale for another time, Spike. But from what I’ve been hearing from a pretty birdie is that somepony else already has her eyes on you.” She teased with smirk as he coughed the donut that had lodged in his throat with a fist to his chest in surprise, thankful when it went down more smoothly and gasped like a fish out of water in embarrassment.

“Twilight’s exaggerating is all. Nothing’s going on with Dinky Doo and I.” He blushed heavily, his eyes roaming to and fro so to not look at his mother’s knowing grin.

“I’ve been told you have more than one pair of eyes on you as of late.” She spoke as he finally slapped his face with a claw, growling under his breathe that he was going to kill his sister as the Alicorn of the sun chuckled.

“It’s just a crush, mom. Nothing more...honestly I don’t think I’m in the right mindset for dating right now anyway. I’m trying to focus on my music, try to keep Twi from going crazy again and work on my cooking skills, by the way am I still able to come help in your kitchen on Friday?” He asked, his eyes shining at the thought of working with the best chefs in the country as Celestia nodded, taking another large sip from Spike’s milk and finally a chocolate donut in her own magic aura.

“Of course, I’ve informed Chef Zaith that you’ll be working from the bottom up, as all who enter do. Just because you’re my son does not mean you get special privileges when working among those of a lesser class, I’ve taught you better then that.” She answered with a smile as he rolled his eyes, reaching for another donut while Celestia took a large bite of her own.

“So dishes then, huh?” He asked making her snort before chewing and finally swallowing.

“Can’t get much lower than that in the kitchen, now can you? So tell me how your music is going? I’ve been told you been practicing with Pinkie Pie’s cousin, Octavia Melody I believe and that you’re going to do a live show soon.” She questioned as he grumbled under his breathe that his sister had such a big mouth before answering.

“I’m ah...doing alright. Not so great to keep up in front of ponies myself just yet, the time helping Pinkie Pie to stop that ‘war’ in Appleloosa didn’t count, at least not really. But I’m hoping soon I can do it by myself. Are you and Aunt Luna going to come?” He asked, Celestia noting the fear in his eyes as she reached a hoof towards one of his claws which he gripped without hesitation.

“Wouldn't miss it for the world, my little scales.” She spoke sincerely as he groaned loudly.

“Mom, I’m almost an adult, you don’t have to baby me anymore. Besides that nickname is so embarrassing.” He whined as she snickered with a hoof covering her snout.

“Doesn't matter how big or old you get, you’ll always be my baby boy. And I’ll always love you.” Celestia said warmly making him smile before he frowned, a serious expression on his face making him look down to the table then back into his mother’s eyes.

“Even if I became a monster like the rest of my kind?” He questioned darkly making her frown.

Removing her hoof she unfurled her wings and flapped them into the air to reach his face, looking deeply into his eyes as she answered.

“You’ll never be a monster, Spike the dragon. And nothing in this world will ever, ever stop me from loving you. You remember that. Do you understand me, young drake? She asked as he nodded, sheepishly with a claw rubbing the back of his neck as she finally sat down, but not before kissing his forehead as he whined once more in response.

Making her laugh loudly as they talked more of things much more pleasant, spending the rest of the time talking about their days and having fun enjoy each other’s company which seemed like a long time since they’ve actually had time to be with each other.

With Spike’s situation dealt with for the time being and Celestia clearly no longer going to sleep from the hours they’ve talked, she sent him to her room to sleep, ordering for him not to come out until he was well rested and ignoring his protests, she finished off the donuts, drank the last of his milk and cleaned up both the table and even dishes herself.

For once since she didn’t even know how long, Celestia didn’t mind being tired as she yawned loudly then went to shower, retrieve her royal attire and start the day, naturally beginning with rising the sun as she saw Luna trot slowly from the restroom, surprise etched on her face before wishing her good morning and returning to her room to sleep as Celestia herself walked to her throne room, knowing it would be at least an hour before the day officially started for her as she smiled brightly, intent on getting some documents finished before the day begun.

If there was one creature in the world Celestia would always make time for, good or bad...it was Spike.

Author's Note:

Personally, I'm not a father. But if Celestia is anything like my own mom, I'd imagine she would make time for her son no matter what. I assume all parents would though.

Apologies for this not being edited, I'm not sure what happened to my editor but please tell me if there are any mistakes and I'll be sure to correct them. Originally this was supposed to be much, much longer but honestly I like where I stopped at. I'm not sure what I'll write for the next chapter, I've had ideas but can't really remember them so ideas are appreciated. If not I'll write the romance for Spike that others have requested.

Actually I might have at least one or two more ideas of my own, so stay tuned. Enjoy fellow fans.:twilightsmile: