• Published 7th Jun 2012
  • 2,111 Views, 27 Comments

A Pale Light - Nobrains



A chilling wind comes to Equestria, thrusting a paladin and pony once more into the land's fate.

  • ...
2
 27
 2,111

Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The voices came back, eventually. But they weren't of the Icebringers or Lyra. He struggled against the blackness surrounding his mind, trying desperately to find some sort of a light or salvation. He warm liquid trickled down his throat, and it warmed his core, eventually spreading to the rest of his body. He felt fingers beginning to twitch, and voices more distinctly. He felt his chest moving slowly as he began to breathe again, he sat up suddenly, panting and looking around.

He was in a cavern, but it wasn't dark at all. It was warm, really warm. He breathed in thick hot air, grateful for the change of temperature. He simply sat there against the cavern wall with his eyes closed, taking in the warmth. He could worry about where he was and what had happened later, for now, it was time to relax after all of the strain put upon him.

“You recovered faster than we could have thought.” A deep voice said thoughtfully.

Titus opened his eyes and saw what looked like a huge Tauren standing over him. At least it looked like one to an extent, with snout nose and horns. He wore robes indicating his importance. He must have been some kind of shaman or something, Titus thought. Another thought hit his head, a Tauren? Was he in Azeroth again? He stood up suddenly.

“Why did you aid me, Tauren?” Titus asked.

The cow-like creature stepped forward slightly, his eyes studying the Paladin intently. “I am no Tauren, young sir. I am a Minotaur. The real question, however, is what exactly are you?”

Titus looked at him, then scratched his beard. “I'm a human. I'm not in Azeroth, am I?”

The Minotaur chuckled softly. “You haven't left this world yet, young one.” He walked over down the tunnel they were situated in, beckoning for Titus to follow. “You were expected to recover, just not this soon. We didn't even have to take you to the waters, we just had administer a small amount of spring water to you orally.”

He stopped as the rest of the cavern came into sight. There was dozens of Minotaur all surrounding multiple hot springs, supplying the warmth that circulated around the caverns. Along with the Minotaurs, he saw several ponies situated along the walls of the cavern resting, they must have been saved by these remarkable beings. So all was not lost yet.

The Minotaur smiled at the events going on in the cavern beyond, but creased in concern when he turned to Titus. “We weren't sure about your little friend however.”

Titus' heart dropped from the sudden news. “She is going to be okay though... right?”

The Minotaur put a hand on his shoulder. “More than likely, don't concern yourself. You're the only reason she's still alive at all at this point.”

“What do you mean?”

The Minotaur chuckled again. “Why don't I tell you while we walk to go see her?”

Titus nodded quickly and they walked down into the chamber containing the springs. There were tables set up overlooking the springs where one would place tools of healing or such. Obviously these people had been prepared for the Icebringers. He wondered how, though. Not even Celestia and Luna had seen any of this coming. He would have to ask about that sometime.

He also saw some Minotaurs and ponies relaxing within the springs themselves, obviously to help in the recovery process. It was a pleasant feeling knowing that there was a place that people could bask in warmth even when the entire climate of the land had been turned topsy-turvy. He forgot that he was suppose to be listening to his Minotaur guide, and quickly changed his focus on him.

“Heh, don't worry, young one. This is still awe-inspiring for me sometimes. I do not mind the lost of attention. Still, I know you want to know exactly what happened several days back.”
Titus' eyes widened. “It’s been that long?”

“Yes, child. I'm afraid it has been. But that is beside the point.”

They stopped suddenly behind a crowd gathered around the table. Titus was wondering why they needed to stop, until he noticed who was on the table. There was the small green unicorn he had come to know and care for dearly. She laid there comatose, while several Minotaur attendees kept a careful watch on her breathing patterns. She looked quite sickly, but nothing too apparent due to the fact that she was covered in light green fur. It was still an awful sight for the Paladin and he wasn't sure he could keep looking.

“We expect her to recover, don't worry.” his guide reassured him. “Now I'd like to take a minute to tell you exactly what happened.”

Titus tore his eyes away from his unfortunate companion and looked his bulky guide. “Sorry... go ahead, sir.” He needed something to distract him from the sight, even if it was the very story of how she had got there.

“I'll be honest, when we came looking for anyone unfrozen, we weren't expecting it to be as bad as it was. The Icebringers do quick work it seems. You two were the only ones left, and you both on the verge of falling too far into the cold slumber.” His guide's face scrunched in thought. “If I remember correctly, you, young man, were glowing with a light I had never seen before, and it was quite warm. The little lady resting on you had been taking the heat given off by your body and used it to keep her own bloods flowing. Alas, it wasn't as efficient as your self sustaining act, she was close to death by the time we brought her here. Luckily, the springs have done much to restore her health.” He smirked. “So, like I said don't worry about her.”

Titus nodded, but his mind was elsewhere. He had been giving off his own heat? But how? The Light had saved him from death once again, but this time he was also able to save another. He was learning something about the Light every day even here, it seemed. It was a pleasant feeling to know he had saved not just another, but the most important person in this world to him. He looked back to his unicorn friend resting on the table and felt himself smiling.

“I bet your wondering exactly who we are, aren't you, young one?” Titus broke his stare and nodded back to the robed Minotaur. He pushed by Titus and sat down by one of the springs, gesturing the Paladin over. “Why don't you marinade your feet in one of these springs while I explain to you the state of things. I know both you and your life companion still have a part to play in all of this.”

There was that term again. Life companion. Did they really give off the indication that they were something more than friends? Luna had said the same thing on that horrible night. It was just as well, he thought. It wasn't that bad to think of them together in that way, he knew Lyra would welcome that with open hooves. It was just the conflicting nature within himself that kept him from ever flirting back with her. What was he even doing right now? He shouldn't be pondering on something like that at a time like this. He quickly followed the Minotaur and gladly kicked off his boots, dipping them into the warm water slowly and situating himself around the mouth of the spring.

The Minotaur watched him for a minute and broke into conversation once more. “I never did tell you my name, did I?” He rubbed his face thoughtfully. “Of course not, the name is Totem..”

“Quite the name.” Titus said, kicking his feet softly in the water.

“It's really more of a title at this point. I am the guardian of these springs. If you haven't already guessed, this isn't your ordinary hot springs.”

Titus looked around. “You're kidding...” sarcasm dripping.

Totem simply laughed. “Quite the tongue on you. But don't expect me to bite at your witty quips.” He coughed slightly and continued. “What I meant to say was that the water that flows through this cavern has magical properties. It heals and restores life to those that haven't completely been under the Icebringers’ touch. Evident by the many citizens of Equestria resting along and within the many springs.”

“Where exactly are we?” Titus asked.

“Why... we're right under the Icebringers’ noses we are. Would you like to take a peek outside?”

He nodded, it would be helpful to get a sense of where he was at after the whole incident. Totem stood up and led him back through several tunnels leading upward. There were several breaks in the cavern wall where one could see the springs and the people using them far below. It was beautiful to see from this height. The caverns were bigger than Titus had thought, and he was thinking pretty big.

Natural light began to emanate down the cavern they traversed, and Titus saw the opening of the cavern mouth leading to the world outside. They approached ever closer, but before they took a step outside, Totem put a finger to his mouth and told Titus to wait. He quickly took a look around the corner of the cavern's mouth and then looked the other way. He turned back to the Paladin and nodded, indicating that all was safe and sound outside.

They took cautious steps out onto the padded snow, and found themselves in what appeared to be a forest of snowy white pine trees. In the distance Titus could make a small settlement. They weren't as far from all civilization as Titus had originally thought. He didn't know if he should be happy or worried about. Totem had not been kidding when he said they were right under the Icebringers’ noses.

One thing he did not understand, however was that surrounding the town in the distance, were huge pillars of ice. Some jagged, others smooth and perfectly symmetric. He didn't know what it symbolized but it must have been a place of particular interest to both them and their pale enemies.

“Over there is Hoofington.” The Minotaur stared at the large pillars in the distance, rising above even the tall pine trees. “That was where this whole outbreak started. We all have a feeling that these Icebringers have some source of power within the town. They wouldn't have made such a potency of watch towers surrounding the town otherwise.”

“What kind of thing do you think they have in there?” The Paladin asked.

“We're not sure, but from the stories we've heard, it would be along the lines of a heart of ice.”

It was time he pried for more information on what Totem and his followers were even doing. “What stories, exactly? And what are you even doing here?”

Totem sighed and walked back to the cavern's mouth. “We mustn’t stay out here for long. I'll tell you back within the safety of the tunnels.”

Titus slumped and followed reluctantly. “Very well...”

Once they were far enough within the tunnels, Totem turned around and put a hand once more on the Paladins shoulder. “I probably should have told you this sooner, but we were the ones responsible for containing the Icebringers from their own land.” He looked down. “But as you can see, we have failed. The guardians of the springs have failed miserably.”

“How so?” Titus really didn't want to sit here and discuss failings, he wanted to learn more about the people around here and Icebringers in general.

“You're very persistent. I am the leader of these people, the guardians of springs. For years, my people have used the springs to perform unbelievable feats, such as single-handily holding the Icebringers at bay. Recently, however one of the acolytes under my guidance had somehow been corrupted by the Icebringers’ promises of revelation. His very presence at the springs after that point, corrupted much of the spring water, and with that the Icebringers were able to sneak into the land of Equestria through a series of tunnels leading to their land once filled with spring water. We were able to reseal the drained tunnels, but not before the damage had been done.”

So that was how it had happened, someone had been tempted and betrayed these 'guardians'. He always knew that something was more complicated than what it first showed. Now he had an explanation for what was happening here in the land, and that was one step further towards solving it.

“You do intend to restore the land to its past state, I hope?” He asked Totem.

“But of course. We have just been gathering strength and nursing those that haven't frozen over back to health. “He turned his back to the Paladin. “I know you have a strength, and I would ask for you to assist us in the crusade when the time comes. Can I trust you will?”

“Yes, sir. I would be happy to help in any way I can.”

“Good. Now why don't make yourself at home down there? I'm sure you could do something down there if you feel bored.”

Totem left him after that, and Titus went down back in the springs. He might as well see how everyone was doing while he waited for whatever attack they were planning to commence, and also for Lyra's recovery. His first thought was to help the acolytes in the healing process, since he was practically a priest wearing plate mail, he would be able to assist them in their endeavors.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case. These ponies weren't wounded or anything of the such, they were freezing and losing all metabolic functionality in their systems. It pained him to be pushed aside and not needed when he knew he had the ability to heal. It just wasn't the type of healing they needed.

He sat along the cavern wall near one of the springs where several ponies were enjoying the warmth and healing nature of the spring water. He wondered how the water had gained such unbelievable healing abilities. It didn't seem to make sense, but then he reminded himself of the magical nature of this world as compared to Azeroth's. Perhaps they had those ley lines under the surface of the world too? It could be possible, but exposure to that much arcane magic would not be beneficial, it would be hazardous. The Kirin Tor always preached the horrors of prolonged exposure to pure arcane energy. He dismissed that thought and began lamenting the lost of his long time hammer.

“Hey! You're the human from Ponyville, right?”

Titus looked up and saw one of the ponies in the nearby springs stepping out, drying off her hooves. She came up to him slowly and eyed him strangely for what seemed like the longest minute in the Paladin's life.

“I'll take that as a yes.” She said. “The names Colgate. Was a dentist before this whole mess started. One of the first to be pulled out of that disaster by these Minotaurs.”

Titus opened his mouth to say something but was cut off. “I've seen you around town. You were Lyra's human, at least that's what we said. You went up to Canterlot by the princesses' request, right? Since you both are here now, that must mean that they got there too.”

Titus nodded in confirmation. This one was a chatter box, he wasn't really up for any kind of talking. He tried to tune her out, but to little success.

“Hey! Pay attention to me when I'm talking to you, eh? It's not too often anyone sees you without her, you know.”

Titus sighed and finally decided to humor the blue unicorn in front of him. “Really?”

“Yes, really. Now why don't you tell me exactly what happened up there in Canterlot?”

“I'd rather not...” Titus trailed off.

“Nonsense. It's not like we're doing anything here. We both could kill some time, I'm sure.”

Reluctantly, Titus began going over the events since the two had arrived in Canterlot, from the awkward dinner, to the first encounter with the Icebringers, to their escape of Canterlot and the resulting trek back to Ponyville and all the events occurring up to this point.

“Wow, I can't believe you both didn't get caught.” Colgate said, scratching her chin thoughtfully. “All I did was sit in my home til one of these people picked me up and took me here.”

“Yeah, well, all things happen for a reason.” Titus said lazily.

“It was nice talking to you, you ain't such a bad guy. I'll tell everyone around town if we get out of this alive.”

“Thank you.”

She got up and left, leaving the Paladin alone once more. It was good to be back by himself for once. She was right, there wasn't really anytime he was alone around town without his little companion following his every step. He looked around cautiously. Perhaps he could have an uninterrupted nap for once? He slowly eased his head back, closing his eyes in the process. Oh how sweet this nap would be.