• Published 25th Dec 2015
  • 14,129 Views, 149 Comments

Paradoxes, Timelines, and Consequences - Frost Bear



Starlight Glimmer is now Twilight's daughter! But what does this mean for Equestria?

  • ...
16
 149
 14,129

Home Alone

“Alright, have fun you three!” Twilight waved them goodbye as breakfast finished.

Velvet and Twilight took the dishes away as Nightlight and his grandkids went through the front door.

“So,” Velvet started, “You’ve been taking care of Starlight on your own for quite some time?”

Twilight scrubbed a plate with a sponge, “Yeah, it was… stressful to say the least.”

“Now where did you raise her? I never seen you around Canterlot and I’m positive someone would’ve recognized you in Ponyville.”

“There’s a village on the other side of the mountain,” Twilight snickered, “Amazing how it’s not on the map because of that detail. They called it Cantershade because it was always in Canterlot’s shadow.”

“Oh my! I had no idea! We should visit that place sometime.”

Twilight dropped a plate, “Um… maybe not. There have been monster sighting in that area.”

Velvet gasped, “Goodness, I’d have a heart attack if we were near monsters. Glad you and Starlight were there before any monster sightings.”

Twilight weakly chuckled as the dishes were rinsed and put away.

“Now then. Time for the decorations!”

Velvet gleefully skipped to the stairwell closet. She opened it and a ton of decorations fell out.

“Ugh, I’ve told Nightlight to clean this darn thing out several times!” Velvet cursed, “That lazy colt is going to get such a thrashing when he gets home!”

“Don’t worry, we have plenty of time before the party is suppose to start,” Twilight sighed as she levitated two boxes to the side, “Hey, are those the fireworks we got for the Summer Sun Celebration?”

Velvet looked over, “They are! Do be careful with them, dear. Strawberry Shortcake told me they get temperamental after a while.”

“Oh they’re not going to go off,” Twilight dismissed, “That’s just an urban legend. Like that colt that ate the rock candy and soda or Nightmare Moon.”

“Says the mare who fought Nightmare Moon.”

Twilight levitated the box of fireworks back into the closest, “Point taken.”

“Gosh darn it! These Hearth Warming decorations were suppose to go to charity three moons ago!” Velvet dug up a plastic reindeer with ribbons dangling off its antlers, “No wonder the closet is so cramp. Nightlight just shoves everything in there.”

“Should I lock myself in my room and hide under the bed like last time?” Twilight teased.

“Very funny, dear,” Velvet pouted, “On a more serious note, Cadence’s pregnancy has me excited! Have you told her about Starlight yet?”

“Not yet. You guys are the first I wanted to tell.”

“Well thank you for thinking of your parents first,” Velvet smirked, “Although I do want to see Cadence’s reaction to being an aunt before you. We were all convinced it would take years before you found a nice stallion to have foals with.”

Twilight blushed with a frown.

“Oh don’t be like that, dear, you have your muzzle in more books than a librarian.”

“How many boxes do we have left?”

“Let’s see,” Velvet counted the boxes, “A bunch more. The party decorations should be in one of these.”

After hours of checking boxes and trying to fit them in the closet. They finally found the decorations Velvet had in mind.

“Oh… I remember these,” Twilight moaned.

“I know it was embarrassing back then with you little friends but they’re still good for the party.”

“These are birthday decorations for a foal!”

Velvet scoffed, “You still hold on to that Smarty Pants doll.”

“Well I… uh… er… still, I don’t want this to look like a foal’s birthday party. Starlight is too old for that stuff.”

“I don’t see what else we can use. Besides, you owe me and Nightlight for all those birthdays we missed.”

“You still have Cadence’s foal for that!”

Before the argument escalated, there was a knock on the door.

“Come in!” Twilight and Velvet shouted.

The door opened with a creek. A pair of elegant hooves passed the doorway. One white as day, the other dark as night. The two regal beings maneuvered their way through the furniture and boxes.

“Are we interrupting something?” Celestia asked.

“No, no, we’re just getting decorations for a party later.” Twilight muttered.

“Ah well… I came here today to um…” Celestia looked to Luna.

“Apologize,” Luna coughed.

“YES! Apologize for my uh… behavior yesterday.”

Velvet’s eyes widened.

“I spoke with Luna after our incident. You could say she has experience with the feelings I have upon the sudden discovery.”

Twilight’s jaw dropped, “Wow… I don’t know what to say.”

“Admitting the problem is the first step of recovery,” Luna mused, “But you really should talk to my sister to help her resolve the issue.”

Velvet shook her head, “I’m sorry but did I hear all that right?”

“Did you hear that I was jealous of your daughter for, not only being prettier than me but also, having two adopted children? One of which is a national hero and the other is possibly on her way to become Equestria’s, technically, first chronomancer. Not to mention the accomplishments she’s managed BEFORE SHE EVEN HAD WINGS!”

“Sister,” Luna growled.

Celestia sighed, “Sorry… I’m still getting used to this. Oh! That reminds me,” Celestia levitated over a small sack, “Luna ran into Starlight earlier and got these books. I got rid of the locks on them. I was also hoping to deliver them to Starlight but… she appears to be absent.”

“The party isn’t until eight,” Twilight smiled, “You’re more than welcomed to stay.”

“Thank you, I gave Raven today’s duties. Me and Luna should be able to lower the sun and raise the moon when it’s needed.”

Luna peeked into the box, “What sort of decor is this?” she pulled out a paper hat, “Is this suppose to be amusing?”

“Mom wants to reenact the birthday parties she missed out on.”

Celestia giggled.

“Ah I see. But this decor is unfitting of such a bright young mind,” Luna made her way to the closet.

“Luna, you’re going to ruin your mane!” Celestia ran to ensure Luna didn’t mess up her appearance.

Another knock on the door called Twilight’s attention.

“Come in! We’re just setting up- Moon Dancer?”

Moon Dancer timidly trotted into the room, “H-Hey Twilight… Wow… you look… AMAZING!”

“Thanks. So… What brings you here?”

“I actually ran into your um… daughter?”

“Oh,” Twilight thought for a moment, “What do you think of her?”

“She’s nice. Takes way too much after you. If she sprouts wings, I would have a very hard time believing she was adopted.”

Twilight laughed, “Yeah… She’s a real mini me.”

“Only she’s not as hot as you are,” Moon Dancer sat on the couch.

“Excuse me?” Twilight reeled back in shock.

“Nothing! Nothing! So you taught her everything about magic?”

Twilight jumped on the couch next to Moon Dancer, “Uh… yeah… Ever since she was a filly. I sort of had to make sure she was able to use the time spell that resulted in me being her mother.”

There was an awkward moment of silence.

“Does it get less weird each time you say it?”

“No, it still feels as weird as it sounds.”

More awkward silence enveloped the room.

“So,” Moon Dancer began, “Have you been… seeing anyone lately?”

“Um… not recently.”

“Well… would you like to go out with me?”

“Oh yeah, when was the last time I went out with you and the other girls?”

Moon Dancer shook her head, “No, I mean… just me and you. Like a um… date?”

“Oh,” Twilight blushed with realization, “I- I’m sorry, Moon Dancer, but I… don’t date mares.”

Moon Dancer jumped off, “I knew this was a bad idea! I’m sorry if this was uncomfortable for you. I’ll uh… see you around.”

“Wait!” Twilight stopped Moon Dancer, “We’re still friends… right?”

“Sure… I just hoped… Well, it’s not like I’ll find anyone else.”

“Moon Dancer, There’s a book that can help you,” Twilight levitated a book from the nearby bookshelf, “It sort of helped a friend of mine in Ponyville.”

Moon Dancer read the title, “How to Get a Mare for Dummies?” she gave Twilight a sour look, “Real encouraging title.”

“Trust me, the Dummy series is very useful for learning new things.”

“So that’s how you got better grades than me!”

Twilight giggled, “Well it was a good thing you talked about your feelings with me before doing something drastic.”

“Actually, your daughter helped me out. But I’m not sure she knows that you don’t like like mares.”

Twilight’s face was crimson red. She ran upstairs to grab a book and buried her face in it. Moon Dancer thought it was best to let her be and turned to her own book.

“Luna! You’re pushing too hard… NO! Don’t buck it in! Here, I’ll push this side and you push that si-AAAAH!” Celestia cried as she fell into the closet.

“Are you ok, princess?” Velvet asked.

“Oh yes, just a minor in convince,” Celestia grunted, “A bit dark in here. Need a little light.”

Celestia’s horn lit up, “Are these Hearth Warming decorations? I know this hospital that could use some if you’re willing to donate them.”

“That would be lovely, princess,” Velvet tried to pull Celestia out of the closet, ”My husband was suppose to donate them three moons ago but never did.”

“It may have slipped his mind,” Luna suggested, “Those who focus on work too much tend to forget many things.”

“It was only ONE TIME LUNA! ONE TIME!” Celestia shouted. She accidentally bumped the Hearth Warming decorations and they fell on top of her, “Ah! Fiddlesticks! What sort of ribbon is this?”

“It’s the enchanted kind. Twilight would use her magic on the present when she was a filly, so we had to find a way to stop her from opening them too early.”

The ribbons tightened around Celestia and tied themselves into a nice little bow, “Did they ever tie Twilight up like a present?”

“No! It’s suppose to do that to the present. It’ll only come off with the proper spell.”

The ribbons squeezed Celestia more, “Ow ow ow, would you kindly use the spell?”

“Right away, princess,” Velvet lit her horn and aimed inside the closet.

Celestia noticed something out of the corner of her eye. In the faint darkness of the closest was a box labeled ‘Summer Sun Celebration.’ The box would have been ignored if it weren’t for the contents within the box.

“Wait, didn’t I ban that brand?” Celestia muttered before seeing an arcane beam hit the box. Dread painted itself on her face as she let out a curse, “Luna!”

Then the fireworks went off.

Velvet quickly ran and grabbed the first valuable thing she could get before diving under the coffee table. Moon Dancer and Twilight shriek as they ran into the other room. Luna stood her ground against the explosion with an arcane shield. A few crackles whizzed through the air as a plastic reindeer flew out of the closet and landed on the coffee table. After the sudden booming stopped, the house was in flames. Twilight and Moon Dancer returned to the couch while Luna took care of the fires. The largest fire she tended to last.

“It’s times like these I wonder why we have fireworks in the first place,” Celestia groaned.

“Are you well, sister? You appear a little…”

“Luna I swear!”

“Burnt out,” Luna grinned impishly.

“Gaaaaah!!! Now is not the time!” Celestia growled.

“Wow… you really need to cool down. There’s no reason to get heated over it.”

Celestia angrily glared at Luna.

“Velvet, Do you have a fire extinguisher?”

“Under the sink in the kitchen,” Velvet whined with a small box in her hooves.

Luna went to the kitchen looking for the extinguisher. Celestia sat there waiting for Luna.

“At least the ribbons are not squeezing me to death anymore,” she mumbled to herself.

Luna returned with the fire extinguisher.

“I’m going on vacation after this! You take care of my duties while I’m gone. Kibitz and Raven are there if you need help. They’re not there to do the work for you.”

Luna put out the flames on Celestia’s bottom half, “But I can’t wake up at 5 AM! I go to bed at 3!”

“Well you’re just going to have to change your sleep schedule then,” Celestia gritted her teeth as Luna put out the flames around her head.

“You’re mean.”

“I’m on fire!”

“And you’re still less hot than Twilight,” Luna smirked.

“I really wish I could banish you to the moon, right now,” Celestia’s mane turned to fired.

Luna put the fire out. Twilight and Moon Dancer read their books. Velvet was shaking under the coffee table with the box in her hooves. And Starlight walked through the door.


“That’s what happened while you were gone,” Twilight finished her story.

“Sounds like you guys had a bad time,” Starlight stared with her mouth open, “Are you ok, princess?”

Celestia finally got out of the ribbons, “Yes. I’m doing well. I think a week long trip to the spa will do me some good.”

“A week?!” Luna gawked.

“After being blown up, you’re lucky I’m not going away for a few moons.”

“Try being on the moon for a century,” Luna sneered.

“Fine, 5 days, but that’s the lowest I’m going to go since I can’t trust you with my responsibilities for long.”

“Thank you,” Luna smiled.

“Well um… I’m glad you came to the party, Celestia,” Twilight tried to smile, “It was nice seeing you, even though your visit didn’t go so well.”

Celestia smiled, “Thank you Twilight. I hope you put those books I gave you to good use. You have a wonderful… if chaotic… family and I wish you well. Good night, Twilight.”

“Good night pri- uh… the moon’s not out yet,” Twilight noted.

“Oopse, Sorry about that,” Luna began to raise the moon from the window.

“Heh, As far as family goes, I think it’s fitting that friends like you fit well with our family,” Spike chuckled.

Celestia looked at Spike. Then to Luna, then Twilight, Moon Dancer, Starlight, Velvet, and Nightlight.

“I suppose you can view it that way,” Celestia scowled, “How in the world did I end up with such a strange family?”

Luna hugged Celestia from behind, “Because we love you!”

“I love you too,” Celestia grumbled, “But if I get set on fire again, someone is going to the dungeon.”