• Published 26th Dec 2015
  • 3,283 Views, 69 Comments

The Fog of War - REDMAMBA



Kris, Steven, and Dusty, three men... three brothers, not in blood, but in arms. They dont know where they are or how they got there, but they use their wits and and skills as American fighting men to help end a war, that is not their own.

  • ...
11
 69
 3,283

Ambushed

The roar of a jeep fills the air while the three men inside do their best to stay alive. As the jeep crested the hill it caught a fair amount of air as it jumped the bump in the old dirt road. Coming down with a powerful thud, the three passengers jerk violently as the jeep began to regain control.

“DIE YOU KRAUT BASTARDS!” screamed the gunner as he opened fire with the massive Browning .50 BMG.

“WHERE THE HELL DID THEY COME FROM!?!” screamed the driver.

“JUST SHUT UP AND DRIVE!” ordered the passenger.

As the jeep and panicking men race through the forest, Nazi troops begin to funnel out of the tree line. The only things they can rely on are the speed of the Willys jeep, and the cover fire being provided by the gunner.

The three men are as follows,

The Driver, Lance Corporal Steven Haynes, a 20 year old from San Francisco, California. A college dropout, he decided to join the U.S. Army three days after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He started in Africa and has survived through everything, even the D-Day landing. The kids smart and knows is way around a gun, hell, he’s even the squads best sharpshooter, he stole a 1903 scoped Springfield rife from a dead trooper and has been using ever since. He’s a crack shot at 500 yards.

The passenger, Sergeant Kris Rian, a 21 year old from Deadwood, South Dakota, he joined the U.S. Army the fall of 1940. Yet another survivor of D-Day, he rose through the ranks and became a Sergeant just after the invasion of Sicily. He was a former wood worker and decided that he wanted to see the world. The young squad commander knows how to make his Thompson submachine gun look good in a fight. But if you make him mad, that gun is the least of your worries.

The gunner, Private Dustin “Dusty” Cox, a 19 year old from Tucson, Arizona; fortunately for him, he missed the D-Day landing by a day, but he was soon placed with his new squad. He’s eager and gung-ho to fight, but been a new kid, he hasn’t experienced combat like his squad leader Kris. But right now he’s the only one that can keep the men alive. As of right now, the three men have driven right into the heart of a Nazi division.

“ARMORED CAR!” screamed Dusty.

“LIGHT IT UP!” ordered Kris.

Dusty pointed the massive machine gun and unloaded on the Nazi armored car. The massive vehicle retaliated by firing on the men, but by some miracle, the German gunner missed every shot. Steven pressed on the gas trying to get every ounce of power out of the jeep. If he could press any harder, he’d push the pedal through the floor. Bullets wiz over the heads of the three men, but by some miracle, the three men kept on going.

“FUCKFUCKFUCK!” screamed Kris.

“IN THE THREE LINE!”

As Steven screamed that, multiple Nazi troops pour out in front of the men’s jeep.

“I GOT EHM!” screamed Kris; the young Sergeant shouldered his Tommy gun and fired at every soldier could get his sites on. He didn’t rely on accuracy; he just went with ammo output. Spray and pray as most troops call it, and whatever you hit, call it the target. The men continued to race down the old dirt road as the massive armored car continued to pursue them. The men are miles from the nearest reinforcements and are surrounded on all sides by Nazi soldiers; it’ll take a miracle to save them.

“PANZER!” scream Steven as he looked at the massive tank.

The hulking beast came busting out of the tree line right in front of the jeep. The men know that their light weight jeep has nothing against a Panzer. As the turret of the massive vehicle began to orient its way toward the men, Steven jerked the wheel of the jeep to the left and swerved around the massive metal beast. Once he was around it, Steven jerked the wheel back to the right and reoriented the small jeep; he continued to drive while Dusty fired upon the massive tank.

“GOGOGO!” ordered Kris as he watched the tank from over his shoulder.

The pursuing armored car did its best to dodge the massive tank, but lost control and crashed into a nearby tree, stopping its pursuit. The men cheered and rejoiced, but it was short lived, they were still under fire, and they needed to get back to their division. As the jeep jerked and bucked, the men hung on for dear life. Dusty continued his volley of fire, ripping apart anything that got in his sites to shreds. Kris peppered the tree line with his Thompson, all while Steven continued to concentrate on his driving. But unfortunately for Steven... one Nazi soldier got off a lucky shot.

The windshield of the jeep exploded, shooting glass off in all directions. As the German 7.63x25mm Mauser round ripped through the windshield, it forced most of the glass into Stevens face and eyes.

“AHHHHH!” screamed the young man as he grabbed his now bleeding face.

Kris looked over at his wounded squad mate, immediately he went from shooting to driving. He grabbed the steering wheel of the jeep with his left hand and did his best to keep the jeep straight.

“KEEP YOU FOOT ON THE GAS!” he ordered.

Through his agonizing screams Steven heard the order and continued to press on the gas. Kris steered with his left hand and did his best to shoot his Thompson with his right. “KEEP GOING!” he screamed.

As the men continued to race down the dirt road, they began to approach a tunnel that was carved into a nearby mountain. Kris did his best to keep the jeep straight, while Dusty provided cover fire.

‘Well lose them in there,’ Kris thought.

Once the jeep slipped inside Dusty stopped his firing and watched the back of the tunnel for any movement. Steven continued to cry out in agony while Kris watched the road ahead of him. He could see the end of the tunnel, the light at the end began to get brighter and brighter. Kris closed his eyes once the powerful light became too bright.

Once the jeep slipped out of the tunnel Kris opened his eyes. He could see the tree line and road continuing out in front of him. He held the wheel tight while Dusty watched the tunnel. The gun fire stopped as the men continued to drive. They did their best to gain distance between them and the nearby Nazi division. As Kris looked back over his shoulder; a smile crawled across his face, he began to laugh hysterically. Noticing his squad leaders over joyous celebration Dusty joined in, even though Steven was hurt, he to, began to laugh. The men were alive, but they weren’t out of danger yet.

The laugher died down and the men went back to their positions. They drove for a few more minutes until Kris asked Steven to stop.

“Okay Corporal, you can ease off the gas and slowly press on the break.”

“Yes sir,” answered Steven as blood dripped off his face.

Steven slowly released the gas and placed it on the break compressing it slowly, which caused the breaks to squeak as the jeep came to a halt. Kris released the wheel and put the vehicle in park. He then turned off the ignition and jumped out. Steven stayed in his seat while Dusty stayed on point with the .50.

Kris shouldered his Thompson and walked to the other side of the jeep. He looked at Steven’s bloody and cut face. “Boy Corporal you sure took a hard hit,” he said to his bleeding friend.

“How bad is it Sarge?” asked Steven.

“Well… at least you don’t have to look at Dusty’s stupid face anymore,” a large grin crawled across the Sergeants face.

“Oh ha, ha, ha,” said Dusty, not being very amused by Kris’s joke.

Steven and Kris let out a light chuckle, but as soon as it died off Kris looked at his wounded friends face. He had glass everywhere, but it could have been worse, that windshield could have been a German hand grenade. “Alright Corporal, let me get some water and the first aid kit and will patch your up,” said the Sergeant.

“Thank you sir,” answer Steven, who was a little relieved, but he was still worried if he would ever see again… or survive another attack like that.

Kris stepped to the back of the jeep and grabbed the small first aid kit. He returned to his wounded friend and placed the kit on the hood of the jeep. He then grabbed his canteen from his hip and unscrewed the lid; once it was off he looked at his friend.

“Dusty, I’m gonna need your help here,” said Kris not looking away from Steven.

“Yes sir,” replied the young Private. He released the grip on his .50 and jumped off the back of the jeep. He approached his Sergeant, but gave a glance at Steven. “Holy shit Steven, you look like you just went through a cheese grader.”

“That bad huh?” replied Steven while turning his head to Dusty.

“Eh, I’ve seen worse,” Dusty looked at Kris,” What do you want me to do sir?”

“Grab some bandages and Sulfanilamide packets,” said Kris as he began to grab Steven’s blood covered chin with his left hand. “Alright Corporal I’m gonna dump some water on your face.”

“Alright sir,” replied Steven.

The Sergeant held Stevens face while he dumped the canteen with his right hand. As the water rushed down Stevens face it mixed with the blood and began to reveal his cut up face. After dumping all of the canteens contents, he grabbed the Sulfanilamide packets from Dusty who opened them when Kris wasn’t looking.

Kris dumped the white power onto Stevens face making sure not to get any in his mouth and eyes. Once the powder was in place, Kris placed his hand out, which prompted Dusty to give him the badges he had. Kris took the small roll and began to wrap it around Stevens head. Steven winched at the pain but did his best to suck it up. After wrapping the bandages and tightening them, Kris lowered his arms and moved his attention to the first aid kit.

“Alright Corporal, your set,” he said.

“Thank you sir,” answered the injured man as he leaned back in his seat.

Once Kris had the first aid kit closed up, he tossed it in the back of the jeep and faced Steven.

“Alright Steven, I think you can guess why I won’t let you drive?” he said sarcastically.

“Yes sir,” replied Steven as he began to shuffle in his seat.

Kris grabbed Steven and helped him out of the driver’s seat, then he grabbed Stevens’s left arm and draped it over his shoulder. Kris walked the injured man around the front of the jeep while Dusty climbed in the back. Once the two men were on the passenger side of the jeep, Kris helped his injured and now blind friend into the passenger seat.

“Thanks Sarge,” said Steven with a hint of happiness.

“No prob… hey look at the bright side, once we get you back, you get to go home.”

“But sir I belong here with you guys,” said the injured man.

“Not when you look like that!” hollered Dusty sarcastically.

“Thanks Dusty,” Steven deadpanned.

Kris let out a light chuckle at the remark, “Anyway take it easy Corporal.”

“Yes sir,” Steven leaned back in the seat and did his best to relax, but in war, relaxing is a hard thing to do.

Kris walked to the driver’s side of the jeep and climbed in. Once he was in, he grabbed the ignition and started the war vehicle. He placed the jeep into gear and began to pull forward, the engine roared to life as the young Sergeant pressed on the gas. The men sat in silence as they began to figure out their next move. Eventually, Dusty moved off the .50 and took a seat in the back. He held the massive weapon as he watched the surrounding country side.

As the men rode down the beaten dirt road the only thing they did was bounce every time the jeep hit a bump in the road. Kris concentrated on the road in front of him. But after a while, the silence got really old for the war hero.

Kris let out a reluctant chuckle, “Well this recon mission is going well.”

“You can say that again,” said Dusty sarcastically.

“What are we going to do Sarge?” asked Steven.

“Let’s see if we can find anything nearby, I really don’t want to be caught out in the open with so many krauts in the area.”

“Yeah same here,” responded Dusty.

As the men breathed and sighed deeply, they could see a town through the trees. As Kris looked at it harder he began to bring the jeep to a stop.

When Steven felt the jeep stop he began to wonder what was happening. “Sir what’s going on?”

“There’s a town up a head,” Kris took a moment to think, “Dusty get on the .50.”

“On it sir!” said the Private as he got up and manned the heavy weapon, pointing it to the front of the jeep.

“You boys ready?” asked Kris.

“Yes sir,” replied Dusty confidently.

“Yes sir,” answered Steven with a hint of fear.

Steven had good reason to worry; he has to rely on his squad mates to be his eyes. If he gets captured by the Nazis he could face terrible interrogation… and it’s something he’d like to avoid. But the next thing he knew the jeep began to slowly pull forward. As the three men approached the town, Kris made sure to have his Tommy at the ready. He grabbed the weapon and placed it in his lap. As the men approached the city they began to notice the elegance of the town. The massive white towers of the city began to fill the horizon.

“Uh… last I checked we were in France… right?” asked Dusty out of utter confusion.

As Kris looked at the large town he couldn’t seem to think right. “That’s what I thought.”

“What’s going on?” asked Steven, wanting to know what his friends are seeing.

“We appear to be in the Middle Ages,” said Dusty trying to figure out a logical explanation.

Movement on the edge of a building catches Kris’s eye, “Movement up ahead.”

Dusty immediately moved his attention back to his .50. Making sure to scan the upcoming intersection, as the men approached the intersection, Kris came to a slow halt so that Dusty could have a clear shot. Dusty watched every window and door down the blocks. Kris looked from side to side trying to figure out which way he should go.

“What do yah think boys?” asked Kris.

“Your call sir,” answered Dusty, not taking his attention away from the buildings.

Kris began to pull the jeep forward, but what landed in front of him caused him to stomp on the break. There stood three young women clad from head to toe in blue armor, what caught the men off guard was that they had spears and shields instead of rifles. Dusty reacted immediately and pointed the massive weapon at the three women. Next thing they men knew, two more women in grey armor appeared behind the jeep. Kris grabbed his Thompson and pointed it toward the three women in front of him while Dusty swiveled the .50 toward the two the women that appeared behind them.

The three women took a defensive stance when Kris raised his weapon.

“WAFFEN FALLEN!” barked Kris in German.

The three troopers looked at each other in confusion for a second, but went back to looking at the men. Kris decided to try English instead.

“DROP YOUR WEAPONS!” ordered the Sergeant.

“MAKE ME!” replied the middle figure.

Sir what’s happening?” whispered Steven.

I don’t know,” replied Kris.

The men and women waited there in silence, until a blinding light over whelmed the men.

A female figure descended from above, Kris winced at the site but kept his weapon pointed toward the three troopers.

“WHATS GOING ON HERE!?!” boomed a female voice.

Author's Note:

I'd like to say that I have an out of control imagination, and I happen to be a World War II buff. So once again I got an idea. I wondered what would happen if three young men stumbled into a different kind of war. I think you can guess where this is headed.