• Published 21st Nov 2011
  • 35,879 Views, 1,329 Comments

The Elements of Harmony and the Savior of Worlds - RK_Striker_JK_5



An old legend from Equestria's past returns, but is there a place for her in this new world?

  • ...
53
 1,329
 35,879

Chapter Fourteen

Celestia's head swayed back and forth as she and Luna led Twilight, Megan, Molly and Danny down the hallways of Canterlot, motioning to ancient pictures, tapestries and artwork built directly into the walls themselves. “And this depicts Star Swirl the Bearded and Spellion in their final duel before deciding broomsticks were better used for sweeping than fighting,” she said, waving a hoof at a picture of two stallions in wizard's robes, one with bells festooning the hem of his robe and hat. Celestia shook her head. “Star Swirl always was a nut.”

Megan stepped forward and looked up at the picture. “I think I remember them,” she said. “Spellion helped with the protection spells for the books, and Star Swirl... showed off his beard-growing spells on everyone.” She shook her head. “Yeah, 'nut' is about right for him.”

Twilight's jaw dropped. “Star Swirl the Bearded, a nut?” Her eyes twitched as everyone looked to her. She pasted a nervous smile on her face. “W-well, okay. I never met them, but were they really that bad?”

Danny drummed his fingers on the armrest of his chair. “He used his beard-growing spell on me when we first met,” he said, the drumming increasing in speed. “When we got back Mom showed up at my apartment and thought I had become some sort of neo-hippie.”

Molly covered her mouth with one hand and clutched her stomach with the other. “Oh, god!” she barked out, cheeks turning red with laughter. “She-she thought you were dropping out of college!” Her legs bent and she placed a hand against the wall for support. “I-I mean, you?”

Megan grinned and her shoulders heaved. “Oh, right!” she said, snapping her fingers. “She and Dad bought you those old Beatles and Stones albums, too.” She shook her head. “I was tempted to buy you a lava lamp, actually.”

Twilight's head canted to the side. “Wait, what? A... lava lamp?” She glanced down. “I'm guessing it's not real lava, right?”

Megan paused. “No, Twilight. I'm... not sure what's in one, but it's not lava.” She looked down the hallway and began walking, looking at the various images. “Celestia, Luna, is there anything for the Dream Valley ponies?” she asked, turning back to the alicorns.

Celestia slowly lowered her head. “Megan, are you sure? It might be a bit painful for you.”

Megan clutched her hand and brought it to her chest. “I never told them goodbye,” she whispered, looking down to the floor. “Please?”


They walked through the Canterlot Royal Gardens, past a hedge maze and statues surrounding it, down a stone path to a wooded area. The trees rapidly thinned out to reveal a large memorial. A long path of cobblestones was set down, lined with trees and statues of ponies. Each statue had a fresh coat of paint on it, bringing it to vibrant life. In the center of the path was a miniature reconstruction of Paradise Estate with a plaque mounted below it.

Megan walked up to the plaque and knelt down. "'Paradise Estate, the first home of Equestria'.” She looked back over her shoulder at the group, eyes brimming with fresh tears. She barely moved as Celestia and Luna walked up, sitting down next to her.

Danny rolled up to a statue of a pegasus with a goofy grin on her face, her wings splayed out in welcome and three balloons for a cutie mark. “Hey, Surprise,” he said, clearing his throat. “Sorry I missed your last party.” He reached out and stroked her muzzle. “I hope it was a good one.”

Molly approached a statue of Heart Throb. She blinked and hugged herself. “I didn't say anything when I learned ho-how long it really was,” she mumbled. “I'm sorry, Heart Throb. I put all my time in Dream Valley out of my mind, but now?” Fresh tears fell from her eyes. “Now I'm sorry I did.”

Twilight walked up to a statue of the original Twilight and dipped her head in respect. “I've heard of you,” she said. “I know you're my ancestor a long ways down the line. Mom's told me all about you, too.” She shifted her hooves a bit. “I guess... thanks, for all you did for Ponyland, for Dream Valley and for Equestria itself.” She looked back up. “You did great.”

Megan reached out and brushed the plaque a bit, removing some dust. She glanced over as Celestia and Luna leaned in for a hug. “Hi,” she said, the ghost of a smile crossing her lips as she wrapped one arm around Celestia's neck and the other around Luna's in a hug. “Thanks.”

Celestia leaned back, tossing her head about a bit. “Why?” she asked, puzzlement clear in her voice and on her face.

Megan shook her head. “Thanks for being here, for taking such great care of Ponyland, and for being you.” She squeezed them once more in a hug before letting her arms slide back down. Megan sat there in front of the model for another few minutes before slowly rising to her feet. She turned and walked around, stopping in front of a statue of a pegasus with a light mane and several whistles for a cutie mark. “Wind Whistler, my old friend. I'm so sorry I never said goodbye.” She spread her arms out. “What you built here with your four hooves, it's greater than I ever dreamed of. I just wish...” She stopped and swallowed, fresh tears falling from her eyes.

It was another minute or so before Megan found her voice again. By now Molly and Danny were by her side, holding her arms. “I wish I could t-tell you, to your face.” She wiped her eyes and shuddered as Celestia, Luna and Twilight also stood by her. She looked around at everyone and forced a smile. “Sorry about this,” she murmured.

Molly tightened her grip and smiled even as her eyes grew moist. “Hey, no problem. Times like this, we all get a little weepy.” She pointed to her own wet cheeks. “See?”

Megan chuckled slightly. She looked to Celestia. “How long before we have to go back?”

“We can stay as long as you want, Megan,” Celestia responded. She looked to Danny and Molly. “As long as all of you want.”

Megan nodded. “Thanks, but I think it'd be best to get back to the party sooner rather than later.” She smiled, this time the expression reaching her eyes. “Mister and Missus Cake went to all that trouble, after all. And I don't want to see it go to waste.”

Celestia snorted, nostrils flaring. “I saw their work while raising the sun and guiding it on its way in the morning. There should be enough leftovers for about a week. But, you're right.” She turned her head and glanced back and up. “Perhaps it would be good to go back there soon and see everyone else.” A sneaky smile crossed her lips. “But there's one more place I'd like to show you three, if it's all right.” She looked to Luna. “The Vault?”

Luna nodded. “Excellent idea, dear sister.” She noticed confusion on her friends' faces. “It's what you left behind, for us, for all ponykind. Your books, your charts, diagrams and guides. We've built Equestria using them as a foundation.” She motioned down the path and turned, cantering off. “You'll love it!”


The group eventually emerged into an open-air courtyard, the sun shining down on ponies and other beings as they went about their day. A large fountain dominated the center, water shooting into the air and from various statues around.

Megan walked up to the fountain. She placed a hand on one of the statues. It had the head of a pony and the body of an aquatic creature. It held a pot under one of its fins, with water spewing from it. “A sea pony?” she asked. She looked back as the others walked up. “Celestia, the sea ponies are still around?”

Celestia nodded as she trotted up, smiling. “They stick mostly to underwater cities and the coastlines, but there's a group living at the foot of the Mount Eohippus here, along with some Crabnasties.” She looked off to the side. “Perhaps you'd like to visit them on your next visit?”

Molly paled slightly. “I'm not so sure, Celestia. Never was too comfortable underwater.” She looked around as the others in the courtyard shied away, backing up against the walls or simply trotting out. “And is it my imagination or are the others here a bit skittish around us?”

Luna's mane and tail flashed, changing from hair to a translucent flowing field of energy. Her eyes glowed and she trotted around, hooves striking the pavement and cracking it. She held a foreleg up and swept it across the air as she spoke, the very air vibrating. “Halt, citizens of Canterlot!” she bellowed. “Why do thou flee from our friends and companions, instead of coming forth to celebrate them?” She jabbed a hoof at a particularly large unicorn stallion. “Prince Blueblood, come forth and make thine case!”

Blueblood skittered forth. He looked around before focusing on Luna. The stallion swallowed before speaking. “A-Aunt Luna, i-it's a pleasure to see y-you o-once more...” He trailed off and looked to Megan. He looked back to Luna as she glared at him. “I-I-I...”

Luna scrapped a hoof across the pavement, leaving a rather deep trough. “Foalish nephew!” she bellowed, sending his mane to nearly horizontal. “Thou has been asked a question by thine royal aunt, and thou WILLST respond or else-”

Danny suddenly rolled around, placing himself between Luna and Blueblood. “Whoa, whoa whoa!” he exclaimed, placing his hands up. “Luna, what's gotten into you? I know you liked a bit of drama in the old days, but let the guy speak!”

Luna cleared her throat. “My apologies, Danny. I was using the Traditional Canterlot Speaking Voice.”

Danny nodded. “Yeah, but you're not projecting from the top of a balcony.” He whipped his head around to look up at Blueblood. “And pal, we're not gonna bite. We're simply old friends of Luna and Celestia, here to visit.” He glanced over at Megan and Molly. “Right?”

Megan walked forward, Molly trailing behind. She hopped up onto the lip of the fountain ans looked around. “My name is Megan Richards,” she announced, placing one hand on her chest and waving at her siblings with the other. “This is my brother Danny and my sister Molly.” She moved her arm around to Luna and then Celestia. “We are old friends of Celestia and Luna, from the past.” She hopped down off the fountain and approached Blueblood. “Prince Blueblood, it's an honor to meet you.”

Blueblood looked Megan up and down, eyes widening. “Old friends?” he asked. At her nod, he took a step back. “F-from the past? As in Dream Valley past? As in...” He trailed off and spread his hooves out. “As in the Mag'ne?”

Megan blinked. She opened her mouth, but paused and leaned in before speaking. "The what?” She looked to Celestia and then Luna, who both suddenly pasted grins onto their faces and began sweating. “Celestia? Luna? What's he talking about?” She looked back to Blueblood. “No, not 'Mag'ne', but Megan.”

Molly's eye quirked as she observed her sister and the stallion. She turned and stepped back around the fountain up to Celestia's side. “Pray tell, what is the 'Mag'ne'?” she asked, expression darkening.

Celestia dipped her head and sighed. “The answers to that are in the Vault, but the quick and dirty answer, that will raise more questions than answers.” She waved a wing at Megan, who by now was surrounded by a half a dozen ponies, three zebras and a giraffe. “She is the Mag'ne, the Giver of Gifts, Defender of the Stable and a bunch of other titles that don't make a saltlick of sense.” She looked back as Blueblood stepped back and dipped his head at something Megan said. “How does she do that?”

Molly's head shot back and forth between Celestia and Megan. “Wait, are you telling me Megan's become some sort of theme park version of herself?” She looked to Twilight, standing there with a mortified expression on her face. “And did you know about this?”

Twilight sighed and nodded. “The Mag'ne is an old tale, told by mother to foal. I never put much stock in it until Princess Celestia took me to the Vault and showed me everything there, including a rather large mural of Megan. And with the events of the past few days...” She trailed off, shrugging.

Celestia nodded. “Over the past fifteen centuries, Megan's exploits and feats were exaggerated. We lost some of the earliest records, too. Stuff from even before Luna and I were born,” she said, eyeing Molly. “Star Swirl and Spellion both told the Senate to let Megan's true role fade into myth and legend. Wind Whistler agreed with them so Luna and I followed along.”

Molly blinked. “But why? What reason did they give for creating this obscure legend?” Her gaze sharpened into a glare. “And why did you, Luna and possibly others go along with it?” She crossed her arms over her chest and tapped her foot.
Celestia groaned. “Molly, some of it was inevitable with the passing of time.” She fixed a playful smile on her face. “Especially considering what you told me of earlier heroes from your own country. Or did George Lincoln -”

“Washington.”

“- Washington really throw a silver dollar across that river you mentioned? And that was only two hundred years ago.”

Molly nodded. “Okay, that's a good point. But why didn't you correct any of it?”

“Well, Star Swirl and Spellion... ”


“Are you sure about this?” Wind Whistler asked, leaning over the table and peering through her glasses at the two robed ponies standing before the Equestrian Senate.

Star Swirl the Bearded nodded, the bells hanging off his hat and robes jangling. “Crystal, Wind Whistler. The visions we have show Megan must fade into history, as a legend for the future. Remember the final Prophecies of the Moochik you, Celestia and Luna recorded before he vanished? It all fits.”

Spellion, standing beside Star Swirl, nodded. “Equestria will need her to lead when the First becomes the Last, my friend. The Mag'ne can do that. And with the passage of time, some exaggeration will prove inevitable anyway.”
Wind Whistler looked to the pair of alicorns standing at the far end of the table. “Celestia, Luna, will you acquiesce to this plan of theirs?”

Celestia shared a glance with Luna before looking to Star Swirl and Spellion. “You're sure?” she asked. At their nods, she groaned. “I suppose I can go along with it. Luna?”

Luna shook her head, sending her mane swishing about. “It doesn't seem fair! All of ponykind should know the real Megan, not some made up version and legend!”

Star Swirl spoke up. “They will, eventually. But right now they must fade into the mists of history.” He looked around, focusing on everypony there. “As we must all, one day.”


Molly grumbled. “If those two agreed on this 'Mag'ne' business, then they must've known something was up.” She looked to Megan as she hugged a blushing Blueblood. “I'm not sure she's gonna take deification well.”

Twilight spoke up. “Well, it's not so much that, Molly. More an... exaggeration than anything. What I read in Megan's novels indicates she's a lot like the Mag'ne, just her exploits were a bit stretched out. An old mare's tale would be a good description.”

Celestia nodded, smiling. “Excellent way to put it, Twilight. Even so, she's still deserving of the praise.” She walked forward, Molly and Twilight following. Those gathered around Megan, Danny and Luna bowed as they approached. “I'm glad to see you all getting along,” Celestia said, smiling. She focused on Blueblood. “Tell me, my nephew. What words of wisdom has my oldest friend told you?”

Blueblood rose to his hooves. “Ah, Auntie Celestia!” He waved a foreleg at Megan. “We've just been having a fascinating conversation with Megan, here. She's from another world, apparently, but she's not the Mag'ne!” He stepped forward and leaned in close to Celestia. “Is she, Auntie?”

Celestia chuckled and dipped her head. “You'll know soon enough, Blueblood.” She looked back up at Megan. “Ready to go?”

Megan nodded in return. She waved at the others as Celestia walked forward, parting the crowd. The group moved forward through the streets of Canterlot, eventually coming upon Canterlot's School for Gifted Unicorns.

Danny looked up at the stairs, then at a rather steep ramp. He cracked his knuckles and gripped the wheels, but paused as Luna stepped up behind him. “Luna?”

Luna walked forward and her horn glowed. Long poles connected to a harness suddenly popped into existence. Latches on the poles connected to the armrests while the harness settled around Luna's neck. “Hold on,” she said, grinning.

Danny's mouth opened for a second before he spoke. “Luna, you don't have to pull me if you don't want to.”

Luna bobbed her head slightly. “I want to.” She turned and walked up the ramp, towing Danny behind her.

Celestia, Twilight, Molly and Megan walked up the steps to the door. Celestia led them through the first floor to the back, to a steel door that slid open as they approached. She looked to Luna, who had discarded the harness and poles. “I think Danny might be needing a bit more help, Luna.”

Luna nodded. Her horn glowed and Danny's wheelchair rose six inches of the ground. She looked to him and waved a wing. “Don't worry. You have full traction just like on the ground. It'll just be easier negotiating the stairs this way.”

Danny tossed her a salute as they all began going down the stairs, leaving the modern building behind and descending into the ancient hallways. Megan looked up at the torches as they flickered. “Why torches and not electric lights?” She pointed up at the ceiling. “Isn't all of Canterlot on an electric grid?”

Celestia nodded to her as they approached the end of the hallway. “The torches were already here and self-lighting from the spells the Mages of the Rock cast on them. I'm all for modernization, but the torches work already and there's too many other things to handle.” She paused as they reached the door and the three guardponies standing there. “The future,” she said, smiling at them.

Megan looked to Twilight. “Been here before?” she asked, smirking slightly.

Twilight smirked right back. “It was one of my first 'true lessons' from the Princess.” She grinned as they entered the Vault. “I still can't believe how much stuff you brought over!”

Molly's mouth opened in shock as she entered. “Did we bring all this here?” She held up a hand and waved it at all the shelves groaning with books. She walked up to a shelf and reached for a book, but hesitated before grabbing it. “Celestia, may I?” At her nod, she picked it up and leafed through it. “Hey, I remember this one!” she shouted, holding it up. “This is the book on rockets I found at some book fair!”

Celestia walked through the Vault, looking about. “Not all of these are what you three brought us. There are also expansions on the original text, newly-written material and books and scrolls from all across Equestria.” She stopped next to Megan, who was staring open-mouthed at the mural before her. She leaned in close. “Look familiar?”

Megan barked a laugh. “Celestia, Blueblood mentioned the Mag'ne. He and the others there held it in some sort of reverence. Now I'm not stupid, and I think 'Mag'ne' can be rewritten as 'Megan'.” She turned and planted her hands on her hips, casting a withering glare at Celestia. “What gives, young lady?”

Celestia swallowed as sweat formed on her brow. Her eyes darted back and forth, but she finally sighed. “Your deeds and exploits grew with each passing year, told from mother to foal.” She stepped back and her wings flared out. The Vault suddenly brightened. “You are known as the Mag'ne, the Giver of Gifts, Defender of the Stable! With those of Paradise Estate, you founded Equestria, making the land safe and ushering in a Golden Age of peace and prosperity!” Celestia's wings folded back. “And you did, you know.”

Megan's eyes widened. “Wait, are you telling me I'm some kind of... kind of pony Moses, or George Washington?” She shook her head. “Why didn't you or Luna correct this?”

Luna's cheeks reddened. “I was... indisposed for a while.” Her head dipped and her eyes watered. “Please, not here?”

Silence reigned for a moment before Danny wheeled up to her and patted her torso, right in front of the wings. “All right, we'll wait until you're ready.” He looked to Celestia. “But what about you?”

Molly cleared her throat, getting everyone's attention. “Apparently Star Swirl and Spellion agreed to let us fade into legend.” She suddenly stopped. “Hey, wait. Are Danny and I remembered?”

Twilight spoke up. “You're known as Danille and Molye, Molly. You're not as well-known as the Mag'ne, though.” She paused and swallowed. “Sorry.”

Megan looked to Molly. “Star Swirl and Spellion? They agreed on this?” She looked back at the mural. “I guess, but it's so odd! I wasn't anyone special. None of us were! We were simply trying to help our friends when they needed it.”

Celestia shook her head. “No, Megan. With your help – ” She jabbed a foreleg at Danny and then at Molly, “ – With all your help, we founded Equestria. Your exploits may have been exaggerated, but the core of the truth is still there. Dream Valley would be still be better named as Nightmare Canyon. Hell, Luna and I would not even be alive!” She stepped forward and leaned in close to Megan. “You are a hero, and you're our friend.”

Megan looked down to the floor. She breathed in and out before wrapping a single arm around Celestia's neck for a brief hug. “You're a silly pony, you know that?” she whispered.

Celestia bit her lip, but a single giggle escaped her. “Yes, I'm a silly pony. Do you wish to go to the party, now?”

Megan looked to her and nodded. “Yeah.” She turned around and stepped forward. Molly, Twilight and Luna walked forward while Danny rolled up. “Ready to go?” she asked. At their nods, she looked to Celestia as she walked up. “Thank you for the tour, Celestia. Now I think I'm ready for that party.”

Celestia dipped her head. “As you wish, my friend.”