• Published 23rd Dec 2015
  • 721 Views, 19 Comments

Cheerilee's Hearth's Warming Play - Talon and Thorn



Hearth's Warming is just around the corner and Cheerilee decides to put on a play to celebrate the season. However, with unexpected costs, feuds between the cast and young divas will the play survive until opening night? A Lunaverse story.

  • ...
1
 19
 721

Chapter 2: The Auditions

“Now children,” announced Cheerilee to her class. “I’m glad to see that so many of you have volunteered to help with the play next month. Now not everypony will get the part they wanted,” there were some looks of dejection from the crowd in front of her, “But if you all try your hardest I’m sure we can have a lot of fun during the auditions. You can try out the roles you’re interested in and see who’ll be best at each of them. Remember even if you don’t manage to get a big role this year we still need ponies to play other parts, lots of different ones, and you might even be an understudy.”

Pip held up his hoof and waved it energetically, “What’s an understudy?” he asked.

“An understudy is a pony who will take on the part of another pony if they get sick and can’t make the play,” explained Cheerilee, “We don’t want that of course, but it helps to have a backup just in case. Now you might be wondering why Miss Trixie is joining us today?” She gestured to the blue unicorn who was currently standing by the door, she waved a friendly hoof at the crowd. “Well, she will be helping me with the play and will be running the auditions while I do some marking.” Cheerilee stood aside.

Suddenly there was a flash and a cloud of smoke appeared at the front of the class causing the foals to gasp. Trixie dramatically lept from the cloud just about avoiding crashing into the front rank of desks, apparently having vanished from the door and appeared in the centre of the room in a split second. “Bonjour, mes petits enfants,” she cried enthusiastically.

“Good afternoon Miss Trixie,” chorused the class stamping their hooves and grinning at the silly adult.

“It warms my heart to see so many budding young actors and actresses in front of me! I’m sure all of you will have so much fun treading the boards in front of an adoring audience, it’s a shame I can’t be there onstage with you,” she glared over towards Cheerilee who had moved to the corner and was writing in a notebook. The teacher waved a mocking hoof at her without looking up. “Anyway, I’ll be helping you all from *sigh* backstage, but still I’m sure we’ll all have a lot of fun,” she winked towards Dinky, her apprentice. “Now as Cheerilee said we’re going to have some auditions today, she gave you all copies of some of the script yesterday so you should have had time to practise them, now you can show me what you can do.”

“I’ve been really studying for the play!” cried Snails, “I’ve got a book to learn all about the founders,” he waved a colourful paperback in the air in his aura before floating it in front of his eyes and opening it at a random page. “These are all your wives? gasped Smart Cookie,” read Snails, “the sight of them rubbing against each other making her feel, um, strang-ily warm all over.” At the front of the class Trixie’s jaw dropped and her eyes shrunk to pin pricks, “Yes, purred Hurricane,” continued Snails, “and soon you will join them, do not worry I am more than stallion enough to keep you all quite sat-is-fied, he gave an evil wink, which threat-threatened to turn the innocent earth pony's legs to jelly, before rearing up to reveal the truth of the matter as his huge pu-pulsing...” From the front of the class Cheerilee leapt forwards and grabbed the book out of the air in her mouth. The whole class froze for a moment at their teacher's actions, she gared over at Trixie who had frozen in place, before spitting the book onto her desk.

“That is not the Hearth’s Warming story!” she exclaimed rather shrilly. She glanced down at the cover of the book. The title proclaimed it to be Hurricane of the Heart, by Bodice Ripper. The cover showed an impressively muscled pegasus stallion posing in rather abbreviated armour, while a stunning young earth pony mare dressed in a few scraps of gauze was draped over him. A subtitle proclaimed it to be ‘The passionate secret history behind the founding of Equestria’. “Snails did your sister say you could borrow her book?” Cheerilee asked, guessing the book's origins.

“She didn’t say I couldn’t borrow it,” he replied defensively.

“You shouldn’t be taking anything without permission,” she scolded, “Plus we won’t be putting on that type of play,” said Cheerilee dropping the book into her drawer, she’d return it to Raindrops, once she’d done a little private research from it herself. “Now if Miss Trixie is feeling better,” the representative looked sheepish, “I’m sure you can all start with the auditions.”

“Um, yes right,” said Trixie trying to maintain her composure. “Now we’re going to try out a mix of auditions some of them will just be one of you reading the lines, and in others we’ll have a whole bunch of you acting with each other, so you’ll all get a chance to try your role with each other. Do you understand?”

Most of the class nodded although one of two looked a bit blank.

“You’ll pick it up as we go on, let’s start with something simple, the narrator. Not so much acting there, you just need to be able to read out the lines clearly and correctly. Let’s see who signed up for that role.” She scanned the list. “Huh, so Snails is up first.” She uncomfortably squeezed herself into one of the foal sized desks. “Whenever you’re ready Snails,” she said, “Just the lines in the script this time.”

“Yes Miss Trixie,” said the colt standing at the front of the class. He levitated the script in front of his face and blinked at it a few times. “Where do I start?” he asked.

“At the beginning,” said Trixie her smile beginning to become a little strained.

“Oh, right,” Snails stuck out his tongue in concentration at his eyes flicked back and forth over the script, after a painfully long moment he started to read. “Once upon a time, long before the peace-peaceful rule of Luna,” said Snails falteringly “and before ponies dis-cov-ered our beaut-i-ful land of Equestria, ponies did not know harm, harminony, harmony?” he looked up at Trixie who nodded quickly. “It was a strange and dark time. A time when ponies were torn apart by hatred!” he continued in a monotone, “During this fight, fightful?”

“Frightful,” corrected Trixie through gritted teeth.

“Frightful age, each of the three tribes – the Pegasi, the unicorns, and the Earth ponies – cared not for what befell, what does befell mean? That they didn’t care if they fell over? Because that doesn’t sound very nice.”

“It means happens! They didn’t care what happened to each other! And no they weren’t very nice!” exclaimed Trixie before bringing herself under control with some effort, “Just carry on you’ve almost finished now.”

Snails nodded and peered at the paper again, “Cared not for what befell the other tribes, but only for their own well-fair. In those troubled times, as now, the Pegasi were the stew-stewards,” he looked up again but Trixie just shook her head and he continued, “of the weather. But they deo-man-ded something in return. Food that could only be grown by the Earth ponies.The unicorns deo-man-ded the same, in return for using their magic to craft bro-bronze tools.”

“How was that Miss Trixie?” asked Snails after a moments silence.

***

“Alula?” asked Trixie looking down at the list, and rubbing her head with a hoof.

“Um, yes Miss Trixie?” said the filly, her eyes lowered.

“You’re up next.”

The girl looked confused and blinked a few times. “I’m sorry?” she squeaked.

“You’re up next to try out for the narrator role, you signed up,” Trixie held up the sheet with her name on it.

“I... I didn’t, I wouldn’t... I... couldn’t!” stuttered Alula. Next to her Firelock rested a calming hoof on her leg. A short way over Dinky looked worried, maybe this hadn’t been such a good idea afterall.

“Now Alula,” said Cheerilee looking up from her work, “You don’t have to audition if you don’t want to, I’m sure there’s been some sort of mix up,” she stood and walked over to the filly her eyes glowing with compassion. “But why don’t you give it a go? You might like it?”

“It is really fun to be on stage,” said Trixie, “To have a crowd cheering your name,” her eyes glazed over a bit.

“Oh, um, alright then,” mumbled Alula getting up from her desk with some effort, a few cheers went up from the class. She stood in front of the class her eyes flicking from foal to foal.

Cheerilee opened her mouth to give a few words of encouragement, but Trixie got there first. “Don’t worry about the audience,” she suggested gently, “They’re just foals like you, imagine them in funny costumes if it helps,” she patted the filly gently on her back before returning to her place in class.

Alula took a deep breath and screwed up her eyes tight. “Once upon a time,” she started quietly apparently from memory, “long before the peaceful rule of Luna, and before ponies discovered our beautiful land of Equestria, ponies did not know harmony.” Slowly her voice picked up strength. “It was a strange and dark time. A time when ponies were torn apart... by hatred!” she announced her voice cracking a little with emotion. “During this frightful age, each of the three tribes – the Pegasi,” she raised her wings, “The unicorns,” she lit her horn, “and the Earth ponies,” she stamped the ground, “Cared not for what befell the other tribes, but only for their own welfare. In those troubled times, as now, the Pegasi were the stewards of the weather.” She raised her head looking forwards her eyes still shut. “But they demanded something in return. Food that could only be grown by the Earth ponies.The unicorns demanded the same, in return for using their magic to craft bronze tools.” She finally opened her eyes to see the class, including Trixie, staring at her open mouthed.

“Yay!” cried Firelock finally breaking the spell, her horn beginning to glow. Around her other foals joined in the applause.

Alula gave a nervous smile.

***

“You’re next Pipsqueak,” said Trixie.

“I am a chancellor!” exclaimed the tiny colt leaping onto Miss Cheerilee’s desk. “I was elected because I know how to think outside the box. Hold on to your hooves!” he crowed, “I have just had the best idea ever! I have decided that the Earth ponies are gonna go it alone! We're going to make ourselves a ship and go somewhere new where we can steal some food.” Trixie frowned, that wasn’t in the script. “We’re going to be pirates, and with me as our fearless captain, what could go wrong?” he cheered. Several of the crowd, including Dinky who was unable to control herself, joined in.

“A very, um, unique interpretation of the Hearth’s Warming story. The earth ponies were pirates?” said Trixie raising an eyebrow.

“Everything's better with Pirates,” said the foal earnestly.

***

“Apple Bloom.”

“Ah’m a chancellor!” cried the red headed filly, “Ah was elected because Ah know how to think outside the box, how to get things done down on the farm.” She paused for a moment and held up a hoof. “Now hold onta your hooves! Ah have just had the best idea ever!” Another pause to let her declaration soak in. “Ah have decided that the Earth ponies are gonna go it alone! We're gonna go somewhere new where we can grow ourselves some apples! With me as our fearless leader we’ll have all the apples we could ever need, nopony’s going to starve under ma watch!” A number of foals stamped their hooves to show their support.

“That was a good performance,” said Trixie making a few notes on a pad, “A little apple heavy maybe.”

“Everything's better with Apples!”

***

“Now, Diamond Tiara.”

“Thank you Miss Trixie,” said the filly with a wide smile. To the classes surprise she’s actually replaced her normal crown with a felt hat which, while not pudding shaped did look very old. “I’m sure you’re going to be very impressed with me.” She glanced towards the back of the class where Scootaloo was muttering something to Rumble. Tiara cleared her throat loudly before she began. “I am the chancellor!” she exclaimed regally. “because I know how to think outside the box,” she started to march back and forth, “Now hold onto your hooves! I am just about to be brilliant, as always!” She turned back to her audience head held high “I have decided that the Earth ponies are going to go it alone! We don’t need the other tribes! We are going to go somewhere new where we can grow new food, better food! With me as our fearless leader we’ll have everything we could ever need, because I am brilliant!” As before there was a round of applause around the room.

“That was very good,” said Trixie, “You really put your character forwards there.”

“Everything's better with more me!” said Diamond Tiara.

***

“C'mon, Private Pansy, let's get a move on!” cried Scootaloo dashing around at the front of the class.

“Yes sir,” muttered Featherweight hovering alongside her.

“Hurry up, Private! We cannot let anything distract us from the mission at hand. To find, and conquer a new land!” Scootaloo mimed stabbing out with a spear.

“Conquer, sir?” said Featherweight looking nervous.

Trixie held up a hoof. “Could you try that a bit louder,” she suggested, “We need to make sure the entire crowd can hear.

The colt fidgeted a bit. “I’ll try to,” he whispered. “Conquer, sir?” he managed a little louder.

“Yes conquer! You never know where enemies might be lurking,” continued Scootaloo looking around the class eagle eyed. Diamond Tiara was leaning forwards on her desk apparently captivated by the performance.

“Ok, maybe we could mix things up a bit now,” said Trixie, “Um Bee Bop, can you take over from Featherweight for a bit.”

“ME MISS? OK!” yelled the filly as she bounded through the class. Trixie blinked in surprise.

“Right lets carry on from the last line.”

“Um, yes conquer! You never know where enemies might be lurking,” repeated Scootaloo.

“I DON’T SEE ANY ENEMIES, BOSS. JUST SNOW!” cried Bee Bop spinning around as she tried to look in all directions at once.

“A-ha! What's that?!” gasped Scootaloo staring into the distance.

Bee Bop looked and gave out a piercing scream, almost knocking Trixie from her hooves, before collapsed theoretically to the ground her tongue hanging out from her mouth. Scootaloo tried to continue her lines but burst out laughing instead. The rest of the class joined in stamping their hooves and the ‘dead’ filly sat up grinning.

***

“Silver Spoon?” called Trixie.

The grey filly got out of her chair with a sigh and dragged her hooves towards the front of the class. “Here ma’am,” she announced.

“You can be Smart Cookie and, let’s try Apple Bloom as Puddinghead.”

The grey filly nodded, “I understand Miss Trixie,” she said formally.

“Me too,” agreed Apple Bloom standing up again.

“Good,” said Trixie

“It feels like we're going in circles,” said Silver tonelessly, causing Trixie to flinch a little.

“But that's impossible!” exclaimed Apple Bloom, “Are you suggesting that ah'm reading the map wrong?”

“Absolutely not, chancellor,” said Silver with no emotion. “It's just that no ponies have been this way before, well not since the legendary times. They say the creators took this path back before the first days. It's such a relief to me that you're in charge of this artifact...”

“Relief?” yelled Apple Bloom, “You don't need relief! If anypony needs relief around here, it's me! I'm a chancellor! I keep all the earth ponies safe and fed! You're just my, um...” she shook a hoof to emphasize the point.

“Secretary,” said Silver casually.

“Whatever. You take the map, while ah enjoy some relief,” said Apple Bloom producing an apple from somewhere and taking a bite from it. “Delicious!”

“Yes, Chancellor Puddinghead,” said Silver rolling her eyes. “How was I?” she asked after a moment showing some emotion now her performance was over. The crowd was completely silent. Snips yawned.

“Not bad,” said Trixie with a false smile.

***

“It theels, um feels, like we're going in circles,” said Twist with difficulty.

“But that's impossible! Are you suggesting that I'm reading the map wrong?” said Diamond Tiara stepping towards her fellow actress.

“Absolutely not, your chanthellornessth” continued Twist, starting to sweat a little. She had been undergoing training to try and help her lisping, but she was having difficulty concentrating on her lessons with the entire class’s eyes on her, and Diamond getting in her face. “Ith's, it’s just that no ponies hath been this way before, well not since the legendary times. They say the creators first took this path back before the first days. Ith’s thuch a relief to me that you're in charge of this artithact...”

“Relief?” cried Diamond waving her hooves and a piece of paper they were using as the map, about,“You don't need relief! If anypony needs relief around here, it's me!” she stamped on the, “I'm a chancellor! I'm a bigshot! You're just my, hired help!”

Twist backed away a little from the pink filly her ears flattening.

“Um, err, I’m your, err thec-thecrethary,” mumbled Twist.

“Whatever. You take the map, while I enjoy some relief,” said Diamond throwing the paper at Twist.

“Yes, Chancellor Puddinghead,” concluded Twist as the ‘map’ dropped to the ground.

***

“All I wanna know is why the Earth ponies are hogging all the food!” yelled Scootaloo smacking a hoof on the ground angrily, causing the rest of the actors to take a step away from her.

“We're not hogging all the cakes and chocolate and eclairs and stuff,” exclaimed Truffle Shuffle licking his lips. “It’s you feather headed pegasus that are making it snow all the time!”

“it's not us!” yelled Scootaloo again, “We're not making it snow! It must be the unicorns!” she stuck out a hoof at Tootsie Flute, “They're doing it with their freaky magic!”

“How dare you!” croaked Tootsie “This whole crisis is down to... to you bird... bird brained pegasus and... and,” she turned to Truffle who was looking at her with concern, “and you ug-ugly and brute...” she swallowed, “Miss I don’t think I want to be Princess Platinum any more.”

“Are you feeling sick?” asked Cheerilee, she was worried about the unicorns reaction.

“No miss, but, Platinum was mean and didn’t like the other tribes and I don’t... I don’t want to be like that. I like having friends from other tribes,” her eyes flashed to Truffle. “I was mean to Alula because I didn’t think she could do magic properly because she had wings as well as a horn,” she blushed, “I don’t want to be mean again.”

“Well it is all make believe,” explained Trixie gently, “and Platinum does realise her mistake later on, are you sure you don’t want to keep trying?”

“No, no thank you miss,” said Tootsie Flute, “I think I’d rather be in the band.”

***

“Dinky, you and Firelock can start now,” said Trixie..

“Ok Miss Cheerilee,” said Dinky brightly. “Clover the Clever!” she cried somewhat shrilly, “I need you girl!”

“Yes, your Majesty,” said Firelock giving a bow to the small filly, “Did the other pony tribes see reason as I predicted?” she continued her head bobbing up and down.

Dinky fought against giggling for a moment. “Those other tribes are impossible!” she growled, “I, for one, can no longer bear to be anywhere near those lowly creatures,” she scowled out at the rest of the class starting to get into her role. “The unicorns are noble and majestic,” she attempted to flick her mane over her face, but it wasn’t quite long enough, “We will no longer consort with the likes of them!” she proclaimed.

“That was very good Dinky,” said Trixie.

***

“Now last, but not least, Sweetie Belle,” announced Trixie.

“Coming, Miss Trixie!” announced the white unicorn as she rushed towards the front of the class. She had obtained from somewhere a rather expensive looking purple cape and a tiara rather more ornate than the one normally worn by Diamond. “My sister made a costume for me!” she exclaimed proudly, “She said if I was going to play a princess I should dress the part. Then my daddy said I was always his little princess regardless of what I wore!”

“It looks very nice,” said the magician smiling, “Now let’s get started. Ruby, you can be Clover again this time.”

“Oh, right,” said Sweetie looking down at her script, “Clover the Clever!” she cried, sticking her snout in the air, “I need you!”

“Yes, your Majesty. Did the other pony tribes see reason as I predicted?” said Ruby staring out at the rest of the class with a big smile on her face.

“Those other tribes are impossible!” she announced starting to march back and forth, “I, for one, can no longer bear to be anywhere near those lowly creatures,” she swept her cloak around her imperiously. “The unicorns are noble and whoo!” she exclaimed as one of her legs got wrapped up in the fabric sending her stumbling across the floor before snacking into the ground face first.

“Sweetie!” exclaimed Cheerilee rushing forwards.

“I’m all right,” cried the filly, a little dazedly raising a hoof, “Why are there two of you?” she asked.

“You all did very well,” said Cheerilee distractedly as she and Trixie helped Sweetie back to her hooves. “I’ll announce who will get which role tomorrow, after I take Sweetie to the hospital! Rehearsals will start on Thursday, class dismissed!”


“So Sweetie’s going to be alright?” asked Trixie sitting down on Cheerilee’s settee.

“Yes, luckily she’s got a hard head, she’ll be fine after a good night's sleep, going to have a bit of a bump though,” replied Cheerilee, “That girl’s so clumsy they know her by name at the hospital”. She lifted up a half full wine bottle and offered it to Trixie. The blue unicorn shook her head and levitated her hat off her head before waving her hoof over it, there was a flash and a flask appeared as if by magic, although Cheerilee’s keen eye noticed it was infact from a pocket in the brim.

“I prefer Monsieur Bourbon,” said Trixie taking a sip before offering Cheerilee a try.

“I’ll stick with the wine,” said Cheerilee taking a mouthful, and then leaning back with a long sigh. “I needed that!” She put down her glass and turned back to Trixie. “So what did you think about the performances?”

“A bit mixed, some good, some bad some... something else.”

“They’re only foals,” exclaimed Cheerilee, “I don’t like the term bad, just that some aren’t as good as others, they need some nurturing to let them grow to be the best they can be!”

“So you think Snails should be the narrator then?” said Trixie raising an eyebrow.

“Sweet Luna no! He’s not the public speaking type, I’m sure we can find him something more suitable for his talents.”

“Such as?”

There was a pause. “I’ll think of something. I was wondering about taking the role myself, it is quite a bit for a foal to remember, but Alula seemed to be able to handle it. She really is a lovely speaker when she gets into it.”

Trixie nodded. “Yeah, and it’s quite common for the narrator to be characterised as the princess anyway, given how she looks she’ll be a good fit for that, representing somepony outside of the normal tribes. She seemed a bit nervous at the beginning though.”

“She can be shy, looking how she does some of the other kids expect her to be all knowing, it’s a lot of pressure. I think some of her friends put her up to volunteering. Still being on stage may help her confidence,” she ticked a box the list in front of her. “Now, Princess Platinum, Sweetie’s performance was good but I think she might be another accident waiting to happen.”

Trixie nodded. “What happened with Tootsie?” she asked.

“Her parents have some rather, well, bigoted ideas about blood purity,” spat Cheerilee, “there’s nothing I can do about them, but I’m glad to see that their daughter isn’t following in their hoofsteps. I think the whole thing’s left her a little over sensitive, it’s probably just as well she decided to drop out.”

Trixie nodded. “So of the other two I think I prefered Dinky’s acting anyway, a bit more subtle.”

“Well Platinum’s role isn’t normally that subtle, but I think I agree, a bit of help and Dinky could really be a great actress.”

“I’ll give her a few tips at our next magic lesson. A little advice from the great and powerful Trixie and she’ll be ready for a show on bridleway!” announced Trixie.

Cherilee grinned and rolled her eyes. “So how about Clover?”

“Only a few to choose from, I think Firelock did the best overall, good projection and confidence, maybe a little too much confidence really.”

“I’ll keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn’t burn down the stage, I’ll think she’ll be fine,” said Cheerilee scribbling on her note’s again. “Not that many applicants for the the pegasus roles either.”

“Just one for Hurricane, Scootaloo, I wonder why?”

“She’s been rather enthusiastic about the role, I think she might have intimidated her rivals.”

“Well Hurricane’s normally shown as the bombastic one, a good fix there then. Now, Pansy, it’s between the mumbler and the yeller.”

“Featherweight and Bee Bop,” corrected Cheerilee.

“Whatever her name is she’s got quite the lungs on her, my ears are still ringing,” complained Trixie.

“You get used to her, given time, still I think it might be better to have somepony who can project to the audience, I did wonder if she’d like the narrator role. Featherweight’s more fitting the stereotype for Pansy but I’m afraid it’s no good if the audience can’t hear him.”

“You’re probably right, I think he’d be happier behind the scene’s.”

Cheerilee nodded. “Now how about Smart Cookie?”

“That’s a tough one,” said Trixie, rubbing her face with a hoof. “We’ve got miss block of wood and the lisper.”

Cheerilee scowled. “Twist has been working on her enunciation recently, she’s come a long way, still being on show doesn’t seem to be helping, probably nerves. She might get over it with some practice. Although she does seem to have problems dealing with other actors. So what about Silver Spoon instead?”

“She reminds me of when my cousin Sharpie tried to act, all the personality of a rock.”

“I don’t know why, she’s not normally like that, I’d have thought she’d be a good actress, I don’t think she’s all that interested in the role really, or it might be nerves?” she shrugged.

“She seemed quite calm to me, maybe she’s just not a good actress?”

“I think she might be worth a second chance. She might get more into it when we’re actually rehearsing.”

Trixie shrugged. “You’re the teacher. Now finally Puddinghead. You know I think I know why you asked me to help you with the auditions now.”

“Their families trying to influence you?” asked Cheerilee looking a little shifty.

“Applejack just happened to wander by this morning saying the Trust had a spare bushel of apples lying about, and if I wanted any before they went off. She also dropped a few hints that she could make council meetings very uncomfortable for me if she wanted.”

Cheerilee nodded. “And the Riches?”

“Well I just happened to be the one millionth customer to Barnyard Bargains this afternoon, I won myself a threshing machine, I don’t even know what that is! Plus he offered to send around some ponies to paint my house, and mentioned the council meeting thing as well.”

“Sorry, but Diamond’s mother is on the school board and you know how much influence the Apples have in the town,” she sighed, “That’s the problem with being a school teacher in a small town, I can’t get away from the parents. I thought they’d be less able to influence you, I didn’t think about the council.”

“It’s not that bad, really they can’t do too much to me, the mayor can keep them in line.”

“Really? She seems so passive to me most of the time.”

“You should see her in a meeting! She hangs those boxing gloves of her’s up in the council chamber, it’s certainly one way to call a meeting to an end. Still I’m surprised the lengths they’re going to get those kids their parts, even Big Mac bumped into me on the way over here and offered to hunt down and hog tie anyone I wanted, Big Mac! I didn’t think he got involved in this sort of thing!”

“Well Apple Bloom is his baby sister, I think he’d do anything for her,” Cheerilee looking into the distance for a moment her eyes glazed and a smile on her lips. “Anyway,“ she said eventually, “We’ll need to make a decision one way or the other.”

“How about that little colt, Pipsqueak or the bigger one, Truffle wasn’t it? That way neither of them gets the role.”

“I don’t think that will work, it’s not that the two families are fighting, it’s that they both want their little darlings on stage, we choose somepony else and they both get mad at us. It’s Apple Bloom or Diamond Tiara,” said Cheerilee.

“Why do I think I’m doomed either way?” said Trixie taking another sip from her flask. “One family or the other is going to make my life hell! Endless queries at council meeting, slowly draining my life away one point of order at a time, I’m doomed! Doomed!” she collapsed dramatically on the settee holding a hoof to her head.

Cheerilee looked over at her overacting friend. “That’s an issue for another time and I’ve got an idea of two how to get you off the hook, but who do you think was better?”

“Hard to say, they were both quite good, and that’s what makes to so difficult. If one stunk then I’d just take my medicine from their family rather than let them on stage, but as it is it’s hard to decide.” She tapped her hoof on the table for a few minutes. “Push comes to shove, I think I’d go with Apple Bloom, I think she got more of Puddinghead’s personality, quite the go getter.”

“I think I agree, although Diamond Tiara’s no slouch in that department either,” said Cheerilee, “So Apple Bloom for Puddinghead, and I think I might have a way to get Diamond Tiara a role to appease her parents.”

“Really?” asked Trixie with interest.

“I’ll need to talk to her and a few other foals, but I think I can get things sorted out so everypony is mostly happy, and your meetings should be no worse than normal.”

“Small comfort really,” said Trixie with a scowl. She lifted up a copy of the script. “This is quite good really, maybe a little highbrow for the foals but given Written Script put it together in a week for free I’m rather impressed. I do like the last section, it’s a fun twist.”

“Yeah, Carrot Top must have really found a way to motivate him,” said Cheerilee with a wink which Trixie stuck out her tongue to, “She certainly looked like the cat that got the cream the last time I saw her, he’s an interesting stallion actually, talented, well read, he got quite an attractive turn to his muzzle, as for his flanks...” Trixie shuddered, “It’s just a shame Carrot got to him first. Oh well, plenty more fish in the sea.”

“Anyway,” said Trixie trying to move the topic onto something she felt a little more comfortable with, “What about the music?”

“That’s Lyra’s department, she’s already composed some of the score, mostly adapted from traditional Hearth’s Warming favourites. Now we know who’s in the band we can start rehearsals.”

Trixie nodded. “You’ll need to keep on her about that.”

“Yes,” said Cheerilee with a sigh, “I do love that minty mare dearly, but organisation really isn’t her strong point, and she doesn’t have much experience with foals either. I’ll ask Bon Bon to try to keep her on track.”

“That should work, although she’ll probably be busy with the shop, tis the season to eat chocolate afterall.”

“True, well I think we’re finished up here,” said Cheerilee draining her glass. “I’ll tell the foals tomorrow and we can hold the first rehearsal the day after.”

Author's Note:

Thanks to Rainbowdouble Dash, Emeral Bookwise and Grass and Clouds 2 among others for their suggestions.

Comments are always welcome.